Charms/ LK Chests

Arc1212

Jan 3, 2006
I've been hunting skill charms and for the last couple I've been looking for the ilvl 50 charms of the NM Flayer Jungle because they had the best chance of rolling into a skiller. Then I would spend a bunch of time farming Flawless gems from the super chests in Lower Kurast (Hell).

I thought that I read somewhere that the chances of higher ilvl charms becoming skillers wasn't too far off of the ilvl 50 charms though. If this is true, I could just reroll the Grand Charms that I find while in Lower Kurast and save myself the time in NM. I also seem to find a LOT more grand charms in the chests in LK than I did clearing the Flayer Jungle in NM.

Are the chances of me rerolling a skill charm the same as a skill charm coming up from one of the chests in Lower Kurast? Assuming that I'm rerolling a charm that came from one of those same chests.

Are there any drop odds or statistics around for what the chests can drop? Like 1 in 45 chance to drop a charm etc? I'm specifically interested in charms, jewels, runes, and flawless gems. Thanks!

Yes, the chances for skillers don't go down significantly at higher item levels. For rerolling, I would use only Baal/Diablo/Nihlathak GCs, as soon as you have one. If that's a problem, I would use an ilvl 77+ one, so it can have up to 40 life.

I wouldn't do LK anywhere else than in hell. If it's just about skillers and hell slows you down significantly, I would do crowded areas in L50+ nightmare, like Flayer Jungle, Chaos Sanctuary, WSK 1-3+Throne Room and cows.

Unfortunately, I don't know a calculator for chest drops.

Don't know the calculations myself but i'll vouch for nihl/diablo/baal GCs. Hell LK GCs are still reasonably good and should be simply better than ilvl 50 GCs, anyway (more life). Easier to find them in LK chests and other objects than mass crowds, too. Even cows is probably better and hell cows can get you HRs as well ofc

I don't have exact numbers, but if you examine the prefixes above L50 (L50 being where the skills are possible), there are not very many. Each of those new prefixes does reduce your overall chance of a skill charm, but, again, there aren't that many new prefixes. The unknown factor in this is that different prefixes/affixes may have different odds of coming up. For example, there could be a new prefix which has 4 times the odds of any given skill prefix (like Javelin.) But since there are 21 skill prefixes as well as all of the other lower prefixes, this still wouldn't be that great of a change.

Since it's better to be hanging out in Hell LK for the chance of Ohm/Jah/Sur/Ber etc., definitely just hang out there for GCs also. I have heard that the ideal chance of a skill charm is 1/11 from nightmare A3. I would bet it's still better than say 1/14 or maybe even 1/13 from hell A3 (these are just guesses) and can get HRs to boot.

I used to have a list of affixes complete with their chance of occurrence, from which you could calculate exact odds, but I sadly don't have it anymore.

* I just used the German affix calculator site which listed all the GC prefixes with their frequencies. I don't know if I calculated everything correctly but it should at least be close to this -- for an ideal GC, chance of a skill charm would be 1 / 12.24. Instead using a charm from somewhere in hell, chance of a skill charm lowers to 1 / 12.81, due to the addition of the Bloody, Serrated and highest Lucky prefixes. Even if these numbers are off, the relationship should still be similar, i.e., just use hell GCs.

Last edited:
Those numbers don't take into account that any magic item has a 50% chance to spawn with just a suffix, so the odds are twice as bad for both. Anyway, the difference is so small that it makes more sense to roll the ilvl 91+ ones for the chance to get 41-45 life.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High