D2 Builds that play better on console/controller

Vayden

Oct 17, 2021
I have game on PC and PS5 but have primarily played on PC and not really wet my feet with the console version.

Just wondering what people that have played both's thoughts are on builds/classes that are more comfy with the controller for casual farming, or are they all worse than KB/M?

Paladin is by far better with controller for
Me. You can set auras for Left trigger and a button and then have normal skills on you A, X, B, Y buttons and not have to hold a button to stay still and trigger them. I can just press X and it will throw out hammers even if monsters aren’t there.

Reactions: Elly and Vayden
Cool, main build I've taken out so far is the frenzy barb and it wasn't so great, much prefer being able to right click frenzy and hold it down and steer with the mouse, whereas with controller mobs that sit just outside melee range don't get hit and tapping the stick to get closer often results in running right past the mob, hammerdin sounds pretty sweet though, might try that next.

I don't have D2R on PC but did play the old D2 on PC and now have Xbox console D2R.

Skills where you need to hit/target the monster are much easier on console (eg. Charge on paladin, frenzy on barb, most arrow skills for Amazon, etc.) You just map the skills to one controller button and pressing it immediately uses it. Makes it more like an action game or more modern ARPGs.

But--this is a huge negative--skills where you don't always want to target the monster (eg. Multishot on Amazon, shift-click for paladin zeal, whirlwind on barbarian, etc) are impossible to execute properly on controller. For example, by clicking on empty space on PC (ie. Not target a monster) you can control how wide/pattern of multishot arrows of Amazon but it's hard to do that on console controllers. The controller automatically targets nearest monster so it's impossible to target beyond the monster (like a WW barbarian.)

SHIFT-click doesn't exist in controller so advanced users of that (usually useful for melee or special builds) can't use it.

Manipulating inventory is also difficult with controller. You literally have to drag the cursor to move potions around, etc.

Because the controller targets nearest item (although there is some priority) picking up items from the ground is iffy sometimes.

Reactions: Elly
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High