Bonemancers?

Just to make sure you have all of the information you need...

Level 30 BSpear with 3 synergies maxed does 1782-1862 points of magic damage.

Level 30 BSpirit with 3 synergies maxed does 2668-2866 points of magic damage.

I cannot find any point where an equivalent level of bone spear will get near the damage of bone spirit to a single opponent. With White on a good wand, though, it is possible to get a much higher level Spear than Spirit, to try to get them closer together.

Again, since spear pierces, you can get more total damage with spear than spirit.

You should do fine against bosses with Bone Spear until you get up to high spirit damage. It will take a little longer, but you'll still be okay.

Porius

I used players 8 from Normal and 1/2 of NM, then switched to 5. I went players 1 through Hell, but could have gone higher. It just takes longer and I wanted to get my first patriarch.

Porius

okay now i think i got all info i will need, for a while... :D

Will probarbly find some new questions as i play along :)

you should find that guide that was lost in the forum crash, seems like a very funny build so far.

Porius said:
Just to make sure you have all of the information you need...

Level 30 BSpear with 3 synergies maxed does 1782-1862 points of magic damage.

Level 30 BSpirit with 3 synergies maxed does 2668-2866 points of magic damage.

I cannot find any point where an equivalent level of bone spear will get near the damage of bone spirit to a single opponent. With White on a good wand, though, it is possible to get a much higher level Spear than Spirit, to try to get them closer together.

Again, since spear pierces, you can get more total damage with spear than spirit.

You should do fine against bosses with Bone Spear until you get up to high spirit damage. It will take a little longer, but you'll still be okay.

Porius

Lvl 34 Bone Spear 2433-2568
Lvl 32 Bone Spirit 2690-2883
4 Synergies Max'd

Bone spear can be 2 points higher because of the White Wand which comes with a natural +2 bone spear to it (add in +3 bone spear from the wand itself, and you have +5, vs. +3 to bone spirit).

This is where my numbers are coming from.

And yes, bone spear works fine with bosses. I'd suggest going with a might or holy freeze mercenary, instead of an archer. Utilize bone wall instead of bone prison - with bone wall you can create monster channels that will greatly enhance your ability to effectively use bone spear by guiding the monsters into a straight line. Use your mercenary to block the end of the channel so they don't escape out the end, and you'll have a huge grouping of lined up monsters right in front of him, perfect for bone spear.

Actually, my necro has pretty similar Spear and Spirit damage. He uses:

Boneshade
Lich Wand
One-Hand Damage: 10 to 31
Durability: 17 of 17
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 79
Staff Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x31eb5d4d
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
25% Faster Cast Rate
+4 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Bone Wall (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Bone Spirit (Necromancer Only)
+5 to Teeth (Necromancer Only)
150% Damage to Undead

Bone Spear
summons a deadly spike of bone to impale your enemies
Current Skill Level: 36
10: Magic Damage: 3477-3666
1: Mana Cost: 15.7

Bone Spirit
releases a spirit of the restless undead that
tracks its target or finds one of its own
Current Skill Level: 34
10: Magic Damage: 3684-3944
1: Mana Cost: 28.5

My plus skills are about there =D

Something does indeed seem to be going on, then. I have calculated it out and get the following:

slvl 34 Bone Spear with 80 points in synergies: 2554-2732 points of magic damage
slvl 32 Bone Spirit with 80 points in synergies: 3596-3857 points of magic damage

Does the damage/level above 20 go up for either of these skills? I didn't think they did, but perhaps???

Porius

I don't know that I would 100% trust this calculator. Some of the damage seems off, or at least does not agree with Arreat Summit.

Porius

edit: I plugged in what Necundus had for skills into the calculator, and it doesn't seem to be correct from what I remember. I'll have to check that when I get home.

The calculator is correct, its data was extracted from the latest MPQs and you can't argue with math. Arreat Summit is not a reliable source at all.

Personally if I was doing it again untwinked, ( I have a level 88 twinked ) I would have used Bone Prison earlier. I can believe how useful this skill is. Whats better than having a monster trapped, unable to reach you, melee AND ranged, while you pound it with your skill of choice? Its also handy if you have to make a fast getaway. I really wouldn't do without it. Really. That sais there are situations that it may be a liability as well. Very fast critters are hard to trap as they are moving through the BPs circle area as you cast so it makes more of a C shape and allows said bad guy to get through. Even worse is getting trapped inside one with the bad guy. It happens. Currently my BP has about 4500 defense and I can kill HMeph before he breaks it. I love this skill. By the way I'm a Bone Spearist.

gnomb said:
Personally if I was doing it again untwinked, ( I have a level 88 twinked ) I would have used Bone Prison earlier. I can believe how useful this skill is. Whats better than having a monster trapped, unable to reach you, melee AND ranged, while you pound it with your skill of choice? Its also handy if you have to make a fast getaway. I really wouldn't do without it. Really. That sais there are situations that it may be a liability as well. Very fast critters are hard to trap as they are moving through the BPs circle area as you cast so it makes more of a C shape and allows said bad guy to get through. Even worse is getting trapped inside one with the bad guy. It happens. Currently my BP has about 4500 defense and I can kill HMeph before he breaks it. I love this skill. By the way I'm a Bone Spearist.

hmm that does sounds very good....

i might consider using bp instead of wall as main def skill.

Im right now lvl 23 or 24 (can´t remember)
still have lots of saved skillpts saved so i can still change.

Dinnin Darkblade said:
Actually the bug/feature bit was being discussed on the necro forum. Ya see, the thing is if it was a bug why would they mention the effect in the patch readme file? Something along the lines of "Charged items will recive synergies but not benifit from skill points placed in that skill" So it says that charged items skills will recive synergy bonus. Can't very well be a bug since its said its supposed to happen. :xtongue:

You are right with the text, not with the conclusion.

It speaks of the charged skill items receiving synergy bonus, not charged items giving synergy bonusses. And that is what the bug is about, that the charged items gives synergy bonus to other skills (bone spirit).

"Items that grant skills bestow a lower skill level to those character classes who natively have the skill in their skill tree. Note that Charged items receive synergy and mastery bonuses, but don't receive bonuses by assigning extra points to the skill."

Randall

SnakeEye85 said:
hmm that does sounds very good....

i might consider using bp instead of wall as main def skill.

Im right now lvl 23 or 24 (can´t remember)
still have lots of saved skillpts saved so i can still change.

Keep in mind that they can't get at each other, either. That means that the AI curses are pretty much useless if you make extensive use of Bone Prison. I personally looked at it as saving 3 points, but others have other opinions.

It is my personal opinion that if you use AI curses, Bone Wall is better. If you aren't going to use AI curses, Prison all the way.

Porius

Vajar said:
The calculator is correct, its data was extracted from the latest MPQs and you can't argue with math. Arreat Summit is not a reliable source at all.

:lol:

I find it funny that the website created by a company that makes a game has completely inaccurate information about their own game.

Porius

I like bone wall better because it allows the monsters to get in close together to make bone spear more effective. If you prison everything, you have all the monsters scattered all over the place and it makes it hard to take advantage of bone spear's piercing ability.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High