What weapon for wolfbarb?

Hrus

Jul 6, 2003
What weapon for wolfbarb?

So, I have started a new character, wolfbarb build. I just want to ask what end weapon to use. (I must invest soon into weapon mastery, because I will be without combat skills until lvl 73)
I want to go two-handed, Softcore.
Here are my "end-game weapons" I can use:
IK stone Crusher, Ribcracker, Hellslayer (slow but ...), Bonehew, all elite unique spears.
I don't think I will be able to make some uber runewords like BoTD, Beast or some.

I think Ribcracker or IK Maul would be good, what do you think?
Also what strategy do you suggest for leveling? Ribcracker is not upgraded so I can use it from lvl 31. Also I can make a Passion runeword in some weapon and get Zeal/Berserk.

Thx for reply

Hrus said:
So, I have started a new character, wolfbarb build. I just want to ask what end weapon to use. (I must invest soon into weapon mastery, because I will be without combat skills until lvl 73)
I want to go two-handed, Softcore.
Here are my "end-game weapons" I can use:
IK stone Crusher, Ribcracker, Hellslayer (slow but ...), Bonehew, all elite unique spears.
I don't think I will be able to make some uber runewords like BoTD, Beast or some.

I think Ribcracker or IK Maul would be good, what do you think?
Also what strategy do you suggest for leveling? Ribcracker is not upgraded so I can use it from lvl 31. Also I can make a Passion runeword in some weapon and get Zeal/Berserk.

Thx for reply

IK maul should be better. However, you need something before you reach that high lvl. Otherwise Hone Sundan is a very good weapon (up it, if you can), if you have eth hone sundan, it is even better.

Ribcracker is a good weapon indeed, but I wouldn't suggest it since you have no staff mastery.

Feral rage is WIAS based like WW, so I wouldn't pick a too-slow weapon

Corrupted said:
Ribcracker is a good weapon indeed, but I wouldn't suggest it since you have no staff mastery.

Everyone knows that all blunt weapons including staffs come under mace mastery.

I think until you get your end game gear and in particular wolfhowl, the game wont be slow, but try and equip a weapon that matches your end game mastery, it'll make it easier for you :) And you dont have a BOTD?? j00 n00b!

youre following in my footsteps... my wolf barb is now in act 4 Hell as of last night. I am using an upgraded Ribcracker with a Shael in it to boot. handles Hell p2-3 pretty well so far.

until you get to the level for Wolfhowl tho, you should use an Arreats or Shako.

The upgraded Ribcracker is certainly a fine end-game weapon. Obviously a BotD "something hurty" is hard to beat for damage but other more realistic choices include the IK Maul, Bonehew and Tomb Reaver. Spears aren't good choices, because wereforms have a speed penalty using them. Axes, polearms or mauls are much better choices for classes of 2-handed weapons.

Chris

I just found the elite unique GF sword lately. How would that weapon be? I have a couple IK mauls, a tombreaver, and a bonehew. I always use a reapers on my merc but which of tombreaver and bonehew are considered better?
Cheers K

The GF is far too slow to be of much use when u have no combat skills...You'll be taking down monsters while your mind is slowly...slowly being decrepcified because the game is too slow..-_-

necrolemming said:
Ho do wolfbarbs make it through 79 lvls with normal attack?

Drop a point down into Concentrate; you'll want to get berserk anyway for physical immunes, and it's a pre-req. You won't want to up it too much, but it gets +200% ED in synergy from a maxed BO so it works alright.

@Hrus & vajurewi: Can you tell me how much you tend to lose durability on the Wolfhowl once you get it equipped? I've been wanting to do this for a while, but my only Wolfhowl just happens to be eth...I think I could make it through before it broke, but I'm not sure.

JihadJesus said:
Drop a point down into Concentrate; you'll want to get berserk anyway for physical immunes, and it's a pre-req. You won't want to up it too much, but it gets +200% ED in synergy from a maxed BO so it works alright.

@Hrus & vajurewi: Can you tell me how much you tend to lose durability on the Wolfhowl once you get it equipped? I've been wanting to do this for a while, but my only Wolfhowl just happens to be eth...I think I could make it through before it broke, but I'm not sure.

I am decided not to put a single point in Combat skills, I will use a Passion weapon.

durability on helms doesn't go down quickly, and it can be recovered by personalizing I think. I am in the No Repair tournament, where repairing items is forbidden. Key to not lose durability much is not to tank physical hitting monsters, you have to separate them and kill quickly one by one or use your moron to tank.

hey Hrus

Im gonna be starting my wolfbarb next. My enchantress came first hehe! Im still looking for a 4 socket phase blade to make passion :/ Not coming to easy for me! When I host games with my wolf barb Ill join the game on my other computer and enchant him with my sorc! make for fast leveling :crazy:
If you ever want to play or something If your tournament doesnt last forever I would play some wolf barb with ya :D anywaz have fun :)

Icebird said:
The upgraded Ribcracker is certainly a fine end-game weapon. Obviously a BotD "something hurty" is hard to beat for damage but other more realistic choices include the IK Maul, Bonehew and Tomb Reaver. Spears aren't good choices, because wereforms have a speed penalty using them. Axes, polearms or mauls are much better choices for classes of 2-handed weapons.

Chris

Actually, a 3x Shael'd Hone Sundan for a wolf-barb is the same speed as a shael'd Ribcracker, since a barb isn't a druid (druids have the speed penalty, not wereforms), even if its a wolf-barb. Better damage (eth 200% vs 300%), less extra mods.

I'd go with either one of the above, or a 3xED/IAS (or 3x IAS) Tomb Reaver (hits 5 frames instead of 7).

necrolemming said:
Wait... so for PIs, you're supposed to de-shift from Wolf form?

Well, you do have to level up to like 76 before you even have a wolf form. It may be 4 or so 'wasted' points, but 4 points that make life much easier for the first 76 levels sounds like a good investment to me.

JihadJesus said:
Well, you do have to level up to like 76 before you even have a wolf form. It may be 4 or so 'wasted' points, but 4 points that make life much easier for the first 76 levels sounds like a good investment to me.

I'm curious to see how pple handle PIs with a wolfbarb :) I placed the pts into beserk but I hate to see the loss of life (and the red swirling ball)

I spent about 5 points in Conc and 1 in Berserk, War Cry, Battle Cry each in the mid levels after maxing Shout and BO. At that point, I didnt have the wolf capability and Conc with BC really helped the killing.

PI +/- mana burn monsters (ghosts) are a big pain. before wolfing, I had to switch from Conc to Berserk to deal w them. Now as a wolf they are still a problem so end up un-wolfing and switching left button attack from Feral Rage to Berserk. This is a big problem with this build imho, maybe strijdje or others can enlighten me too. as far as zerk's life loss - keep pumping shout, BO etc.

between Ribcrack and Wolfhowl I am spending a buncha gold for repair costs, so an eth Wolfhowl would be a big bummer...

Well Stridje uses a Famine Zerker and a Tiamet's on switch to deal with PI's (I think)

Personally unless you had those item's you could alway's use a Baranar's and a Tiamet's but that might be a little teadius(sp) after a while.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High