Any interest in a small L85 tourney before ladder reset?

Locohead

Jul 25, 2009
During MFO I made it to about L94. I miss doing the AT runs, being driven for that chance at chase items, and would also like to get to L95. I can't really motivate myself to continue the AT runs for no reason, but maybe if we get a small L85 tourney for a week that would help me out? I am thinking of the following aspects for this tourney:

- L85 areas only - these seemed to be the most popular, and in a smaller tournament it would be best to consolidate to one type.
- Same point scoring as MFO
- No claims on the items found in this tournament, because at the end of the MFO, nothing ended up being claimed by anyone anyway (seemingly due to grail.) However:
- I'd like to have a prize pool which is voluntary - whatever people want, but I'm thinking consumable stuff like facets, runes, PGems, maybe an odd chase item like Shako here and there or whatever people feel like contributing - if we can figure out how to balance out all the contributions by trade value? Maybe deciding on one trade value for everyone, something like Vex-Sur worth of value, whatever the majority would like.
- Whoever doesn't want to contribute, doesn't have to! They just can't claim anything.
- Claiming of the prize pool could be something like 50/30/20% from 1st - 3rd, if we get enough entries. Adjusted of course for people who aren't contributing.
- Thinking we could run the tournament through midnight Monday Dec 11, since ladder season begins Tuesday.
- # of runs capped (1000?) I know some people felt they were spending too much time on the MFO.

If anyone is interested, please reply that you are interested, the amount of rune-trade value you'd prefer contributors to contribute, and any other preferences. I'd like to get signups happening ASAP.

Last edited:
Interested! I'm back to running AT "full time" anyway so any extra motivation is welcome.

Could we add pindle to the list? The odds of tyrael's dropping in this format are probably too low for dedicated pindle runners to be bothered by it. Besides, they could still come out ahead with a few lucky 27.x items.

PGems as an entry fee for the prize pool feel right to me, it's something we all have enough and always need more, I don't mind adding some items to the pool if necessary.

Don't have anything special planned so any time frame would suit me, especially if capped.

And regarding the cap, I think it would be more fair to cap the # of hours. It's a competition after all so we shouldn't base it entirely on luck.

I'm sure I can manage a 100 PGems or equivalent value in runes or items for the sign up.

Including Pindle seems fine. I guess a set # of hours seems better, and is probably easier to measure. Hopefully we'll get some more interest. I don't have many pgems, I always burn them up on charm rolls, so I'd have to do runes or chase items.

I’m interested, especially since that is basically what I am doing anyway at the moment.

Personally I would prefer a “just for the glory” tournament as I wouldn’t take anything anyway, in the unlikely I actually found anything decent.

Yeah, whatever gets people to sign up. Even if we have a prize pool though, people can still sign up without contributing but then can't claim. Also had the idea, what if we have to pick up and store all flawless gems toward the prize pool, heh. And/or all runes from Lem-Gul.

How many hours would be reasonable for a week? Say exactly 1 week from midnight Monday to midnight next Monday. 15 hours?

Tempting, but I'll skip this one. Other things in D2 and GD first now.

I would play.

My Pit Nec hasn't seen any action for ages, so this could be a nice motivation to run some.

I'm self found only, so wouldn't be claiming anything.

Based on the respondents, looks like we will just do a tournament without any claims.

If the other 3 chime in that they are ready we can begin the tournament at midnight tonight? Otherwise I'll wait until midnight Monday.

Start time isn't as critical as MFO since there are no prizes and there will be an hours cap. Thinking 16 hours cap? That would be 2hr/day for 8 days if we start tonight.

I would be down for some lvl 85 action, since it’s my favorite runs anyway. Just a thought, and however many hours is fine with me, but from what I’ve noticed in the past it’s 20 hour blocks of run time in most tournaments. 16 hours is fine though as there is no way I could get the time to do another block anyway.

I figured 16 hours since it's a bit last minute, getting it in before ladder reset, and I didn't want to overload everyone.

Definitely interested! And the set # of hours seems better for ppl like me lol.

But...
Im currently occupied with the d3 season 12 and any d2 time is spent running lk for one more sur-equivalent rune(s).

If this is a recurring event, id definitely join the next. =)

Good luck to everyone!

P.s. +1 for prize pool without an entry fee.

I play self-found so i wont take any prizes even if i do win; but i dont mind giving up my runes and pgems or even qualifiers in spirit of a prize pool. Perhaps giving the players the option to keep some items they want themselves out of the pool, and dumping all other items into it, should generate big enuf a stash with pgems runes and mid-tier/niche gears. =P

16 hours sounds reasonable, I'd probably spend that much playing d2 anyway, but would waste some of it (not run AT :p).

I'll throw a quick list together, still time for others to jump on board.

-------------------------------------------------
The winter A85 mini-tourney participant list:
Locohead
Albatross
maxicek
Grape
Yng
darkstarhub

Thanks. I'll make an official thread tomorrow.

Does anyone who is not competing want to do the scoring? Or do we need to bother with a neutral person since there are no prizes and limited run time?

Can we run it for a bit longer? I’m unlikely to fit in 16 hours at the moment?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High