Hi I am new here and have a question

FQVBSina

Jan 11, 2017
I have just started playing D2 with summoner necro, do I need anything, runes in particular, from Andariel? I farmed her a few times but have not dropped any.

Thanks!

Welcome! A summoner necro is probably the least gear-dependent build in the game, so you've made a wonderful choice to start off. I assume you're still in Normal - there isn't any specific piece of equipment you absolutely need, so I'd just shop for a wand with + Raise Skeletons every time you're in town, and focus on moving through the game. Runes will come later, as will other items. Seriously, people have played through all three difficulties with an unequipped necromancer, so you shouldn't worry about holding back or searching for any one item. Good luck to you!

Welcome! A summoner necro is probably the least gear-dependent build in the game, so you've made a wonderful choice to start off. I assume you're still in Normal - there isn't any specific piece of equipment you absolutely need, so I'd just shop for a wand with + Raise Skeletons every time you're in town, and focus on moving through the game. Runes will come later, as will other items. Seriously, people have played through all three difficulties with an unequipped necromancer, so you shouldn't worry about holding back or searching for any one item. Good luck to you!
Thank you!

Now in Act 2, should I switch the archer for a paladin?

Sure, an Offense merc with Blessed Aim should help your skellies hit. The real boost will come once you hit Act 2 Nightmare, where you can hire a merc with Might. He'll double your damage.

An incredibly useful runeword when you get the runes will be Insight in a polearm (RalTirTalSol). It'll give the merc a Meditation aura, which in turn will give you basically unlimited mana. You'll find a maxxed out Corpse Explosion will be your primary killer once your skellies and merc have given you the first kill, and with unlimited mana you can spam it like crazy. In the meantime, I'd just stockpile whatever runes you find and keep an eye out for a four socket polearm.

Good luck!

Sure, an Offense merc with Blessed Aim should help your skellies hit. The real boost will come once you hit Act 2 Nightmare, where you can hire a merc with Might. He'll double your damage.

An incredibly useful runeword when you get the runes will be Insight in a polearm (RalTirTalSol). It'll give the merc a Meditation aura, which in turn will give you basically unlimited mana. You'll find a maxxed out Corpse Explosion will be your primary killer once your skellies and merc have given you the first kill, and with unlimited mana you can spam it like crazy. In the meantime, I'd just stockpile whatever runes you find and keep an eye out for a four socket polearm.

Good luck!
Cool. Thanks!

Good luck!
I have been reading about summoner necro. It says pure summoner can last until ACT V in Hell but generally would still require items. Does that mean I should be doing mf runs throughout nightmare or something? What kind of equipment should I be looking for?

If it isn't mandatory for you to do magic-find with a summon necro, I suggest to start a blizzard sorceress. Blizzard, together with its synergies and cold mastery deals lots of damage even with bad gear, she can teleport (which speeds up things a lot) and she's still excellent when wearing lots of magic find gear. It's not difficult to reach the Ancient Tunnels in hell mode (below the Lost City in act 2), a place where basically everything can drop. Those few cold-immune bosses in that place are nailed to the wall with telekinesis while the merc slices them up.

Before that, visit nightmare Countess in order to obtain missing runes for Stealth, Spirit (in a sword), Rhyme, Lore and (merc) Insight. Then nightmare Mephisto a few hundreds of times, together with nightmare Baal inbetween until you are level 75, followed by hell Meph+Andariel until you have most of the rather good uniques and set items. Then it's time for the Tunnels and Pindleskin.

You can always look into a Fishymancer...those were fun back in the day.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I haven't actually played in a few years.

Since the old days :)

Mages are meat shields. After Normal not much else. Get Gumby (Clay Golem) asap and cast him on top of bosses. Max RS and SM.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High