Blizzard looking to restore Diablo II to glory

scrcrw

Oct 29, 2009
So this popped up in Blizzard job openings:
Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

Source

Let's just hope they don't break GoMule compatibility. ;)

What's the bet that they'll completely screw this up if it goes ahead? I really don't trust Blizzard to do the job without tinkering too much with the actual game. Just fixed the dozens of bugs the game has now and I'll be happy.

Let's just hope they don't break GoMule compatibility. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Blizzard's intent is to jump on the HD remake bandwagon - which I'm not opposed to if said re-releases are well done (examples: the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD). If that's the case, unfortunately that would probably break GoMule compatibility, heheh.

Of course, I'm just speculating. I'd be happy with bug and OS compatibility fixes (linux support would be nice too).

Or..if they're smart enough they incorporate the GoMule functionality into D2. No more need for an external application.

Whether they do so or not, if they can even close to making something as great as D2 i'm game.

Or if it is an hd remake/port, give us a giant stash, as I'm sure even new players to the game will get pretty pissy at its size.

Hey, I'm meeting all requirements and also one or maybe two of the pluses :D

Blizzard, send me the source codes and I will see what I can do :)

Go for it @krischan, and be our inside man :D
I, too, believe they will add some sort of gomule-like functionality, technology has changed a lot since LoD was released, and an up-to-date item sharing system may be likely to be implemented. Let's just hope they don't screw up too much... like, say, by requiring an internet connection for SP :p

Then i'll be the test analyst, constantly crash the program and tell krischan his programming sucks and he has to redo the whole thing. :D

I expect native wide screen support, always online requirment for single player and removal of LAN play.

At least we'll always have a choice to play old or the remake, if they do mess up the functionality that we have grown to love so dearly. Of course we would have to play the remake on Bnet which still wouldn't bother me since that might drive away all those bots.

They'll probably kill single player functionality so we have to log online and look at their ads! :(

Actually I expect it will be much more dull, like just making them work properly with Windows 10, OS X etc.

Sounds to me like they're working to consolidate all their games people play in any number within the battle.net launcher.

Keep in mind that in no place are words like "improve, polish, refine" nor even "work on the Diablo II team" used. All indications point to a single small group which will work on all three of these games, making it most likely that the result will be bare bones in scope. Single most likely outcome being integration to the Battle.net Launcher, providing compatibility with newer systems. Next most likely being adding resolution scaling, but I definitely wouldn't say this is a given. There's a small chance they add a very simple storage space so-called solution, probably something like stash tabs ala Diablo 3, but I would rate that rather unlikely and wouldn't expect anything further than that at all unless they come up with a dedicated team and plan to release it as a new purchase (enhanced edition type thing).

So yeah, basically I imagine the plan here is just to get all the games played in any real number under the Battle.net Launcher and that's about it. Which would almost certainly break ATMA and GoMule, as those are third party programs which affect game files. It seems unlikely there's any aspect of the planned changes that will be particularly interesting to members of the SPF.

Could definitely turn out I'm wrong - I would like it to be so in fact because I would love to see Brood War rebirthed with improved functionality and looks - but I see no reason from any part of this to expect anything more than the minimum here.

woah woah owah woah woah woah owah owah woah woah woah!

edit: Are they pooling the community for people who want to do this? If so, I would imagine there are those who know and want a larger stash / shared stash for single player characters. From what I've seen, many non-FAM mods and different communities support some sort of extended stash.

If the people who made the FAMs we love today are still around, I would imagine their input would be greatly desired.

Questions: How long do y'all reckon this would take?
Would there be a 'new set of rules for our community'? Or would we just go with what was implemented in the 'new game'?
If there were no extended stashes, I bet there are those around who can make that happen in a way that still goes with our forum rules.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like they're working to consolidate all their games people play in any number within the battle.net launcher.

...Single most likely outcome being integration to the Battle.net Launcher, providing compatibility with newer systems. ...
So yeah, basically I imagine the plan here is just to get all the games played in any real number under the Battle.net Launcher and that's about it. Which would almost certainly break ATMA and GoMule, as those are third party programs which affect game files. It seems unlikely there's any aspect of the planned changes that will be particularly interesting to members of the SPF.

My money is on this.

Online only or online gateway (EG Steam) seems to be the way everything is going (unfortunately) and I don't think that Blizzard has the creativity to do anything like 'refreshing' D2. Making it online-only would make it a lot easier - I think - to get stuff working on Win10 etc. That would in effect kill LAN and the SP experience as we know it.

I personally can't see them going to the trouble of making games which are over 10 years old into HD.

My view may be clouded by the complete hash they made of D3 - but I doubt it.

Cool! This is really a no lose situation for the spf as far as I see it. If they implement new good features then that's great. If they implement a bunch of online only crap then we just keep doing what we were already doing.

But hey, I am excite!

I've lost all my respect for Blizzard since D3 was released, but if they do this and they improve D2 (In any way), they will definitely win me back. I don't really care if they break GoMule compatibility at all, and people shouldn't be mad or be caught off guard if Blizzard breaks compatibility with third party applications. It's the responsibility of the third party developer to maintain compatibility with upstream changes.

Any changes done to D2 would definitely improve the D2 single player experience even if most of their improvements go to the battle.net side of things. Passive improvements will affect the D2 code base as a whole, so no complaints from me on that part.

This job post is giving me hope.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High