zticazzy
bodry
TreeOfSmoke
thefranklin
Goobergrape
Zylo
Pharphis
--------------

1.07, ofc. I'll have to distract myself with other stuff for now so that I can 99 towards the end of the 20 hour set

@pharphis: Or you could, you know, just engage insane comeptitor mode and go for two 99s in the RFO. Think about it, that kind of effort in 1.07 is guaranteed to get you at least 2 Ums!

I have plans for a good portion of the time frame so I won't be signing up to be completely curb stomped by gripgod like the rest of you fools -- I mean I won't be attempting to repeat as champion, but good luck to those of you who do run. Except gripgod. Although grip winning this and having both the MFO and RFO title would mean we could just create a single event called the Griplympics in which Grip runs targets chosen at random with characters chosen at random and would still show he could do so more efficiently than anybody else could run any other target with any other class. I, for one, would welcome our new Croatian overlord.

(Thanks for organizing this Grip, the last one was cool and I'm sure this one will be, as well. Hopefully people see my jokes for what they are and realize even a skill-less newbie such as myself can defeat even your mighty powers and actually run.)

I actually didn't remember what you found last time at all, was merely pointing out that the odds in 1.07 are abysmal and that it only sounds even more abysmal the more runs you plan on doing (aka pointing out the secret option of hitting 99 before the RFO and leaving the 1.07 championship to nulio or some other crazy person ;).)

I guess I can shoot through the windows from a safe distance or something? :/

Seems to me like a nicely equiped FA zon could do fairly well. Most councils can be frozen so little danger of they can be herded enough to freeze most/all. From an efficiency point of view she doesn't stand a chance of course.

Thinking about signing up. Not sure though.
Cons:
- I prefer MFO over RFO.
- Somehow find a way to keep track of those 20 hrs
- Trav can't drop TC 87's (correct me if i'm mistaken) so no grailies
- While competing i can't run Baal!
Pro's:
- Need more runes!
- A change of scenery from the usual Baals
- Show you guys how it's done. Oh wait, did i say that out loud?

Seems to me like a nicely equiped FA zon could do fairly well. Most councils can be frozen so little danger of they can be herded enough to freeze most/all. From an efficiency point of view she doesn't stand a chance of course.

Thinking about signing up. Not sure though.
Cons:
- I prefer MFO over RFO.
Pro's:
- Need more runes!
- A change of scenery from the usual Baals
- Show you guys how it's done. Oh wait, did i say that out loud?
We need someone to give a challenge to Gripphon!

How about some prize for the winner and the runner-ups? I'll go over my stashes to find something godly. Maybe some godly rares/crafts?

There are few possible problems. First of all, it is possible for same person to be two times in top 3 spots (or even 3 times which will happen if Fabian decides to do 60 hours). This can be avoided by giving prizes to top 3 different players instead.

Second possible problem is, RFO is not as strict as MFO is. I don't even seek for players to have legit trade profiles nor do I seek for screenshots. In such conditions it might not be good idea to have godly stuff for prizes. That's why the last time was only one prize and it was symbolic more than something useful.

Now I don't really mind even if we have some prizes that might be useful or even good, but I'm leaning toward symbolic prizes. Still don't know what those could be though.

To the OP: player settings rule? Or I can use whatever I like? :)
You run the way you like on players settings you like. Basically only rule is we value runes dropped only by council dudez, anything else is up to you.

Cons:
- I prefer MFO over RFO.

I know you had certain problems with run counter when you ran for SPF hall of records, but can't recall what. Doesn't run counter work for you normally? It is by far best method of keeping track of time after all.

You can get certain TC 87s, but not from council dudez, but other bosses from Travincal.

Also prefering MFO over RFO, and then reason is Baal! (there was discussion about removing Baal from next MFO because it is not MFO category but experience one, but chances for that to happen are slim, so you are in luck actually. Fabian seems unlikely to break MFO tradition by removing Baal category)

I think the losers should each donate a rune and combine to make a Last Wish Crystal Sword as the champion's prize. We should be overflowing in runes, right? Why not waste them on a stupid trophy!?!?

IIRC the issues i had with runcounter was something with recording correct time per run. Since now only the total time counts it should work. Would have to dl the counter again though since i threw it away.

The reason i prefer MFO over RFO isn't Baal related. As i mentioned before when the RFO idea was discussed i prefer anything with Olympics in the name to have no timelimit within the set timeframe. That way anyone crazy enough could run for a full two weeks without sleeping if they preferred, instead of cutting things into 20 hr portions.
Besides that i just prefer running for those greens and golds for the offchance i find one of my missing grailies. And it probably wouldn't hurt my perfect (eth) grail either.

Fabian isn't breaking tradition by removing Baal category, he's breaking it with removing MFO from the calendar entirely! :p

In principle I agree with Cyrax in that what makes the Magic Find Olympics an "Olympics" to me is the unlimited running aspect of it, and that having other olympics in the SPF kinda goes against that. On the other hand I don't think it's a big deal at all, and that no matter what you name other competitions, the MFO is still the big one with tradition/hype/etc surrounding it. So whatevs, it's good to see more target running related tournaments that garner some interest, period.

MFO is happening this summer, don't worry :) We'll see what the participation numbers are like, I feel like the forum is kinda dying and having it twice a year is too much. Then again, a dying forum might be a reason to have it more often (but smaller/less hype), not less often. We'll see what happens in the Summer MFO. And yeah I think Baal is a terrible category and wish it wasn't so popular so I could remove it forever without anyone protesting, but oh well.

Enough talk about the MFO though, RFO hype! There's like a 20% chance I'll run Travincal seriously for the first time since 2010 or something, not bad at all.

To measure total time played stopwatch is good enough anyway, or online stopwatch, or run counter, whatever works for someone.

Problem with run counter is it doesn't register first run you do after you pause it or restart it. However if you pause run counter, open char in gomule/atma, then resume run counter, it will start from 0:00 current run and that first run will be registered normally. Don't worry though, total time is registered normally on run counter regardless of conditions.

Example: you start run counter and do 2 runs where both are 60 seconds long. Run counter will show you did 1 run with 60 seconds average time and 120 seconds total time. He registered first run only in total time invested, and didn't count it in average time nor in runs done. That's why players who wish to know exact number of runs they did, they simply s/e first run immediately and continue running normally after that.

Example: you s/e first run which took like 10 seconds total, and then do second run which was 60 seconds long. Run counter will show you did 1 run with 60 seconds average time, but 70 seconds total playing time because run counter registered you did s/e first run which took 10 seconds, but didn't register that run ever happened in number of runs done nor in average time per run.

That's why we usually use average time * runs done as a measure of invested time rather than using info of total time played from run counter. So, since I will do this s/e thing this RFO because I want to know exact number of runs I did, that means my total playing time in the end will be over 21 hours on run counter, while real playing time will normally be 20 hours as per rules. I will lose that 1 hour on s/e procedure while not doing any runs in the process. And in general that's the reason why when you divide total time displayed on run counter with runs done, you will NEVER get correct average run time nor will you get average time displayed on run counter.

So, there are two correct methods of keeping track of total time:
One method is to start run counter and simply run. Total time will be displayed correctly, but average time and runs done will be incorrect, but irrelevant for this RFO.
Second method is to s/e first run anytime when you restart or pause-continue your run counter. That way you will have correct info about runs done and average running time, but total time will be wrong since it included all those seconds when you s/e first run (didn't run), so total time should be calculated with avg. time * runs done.

As for RFO with MFO comparison, there is no comparison really. RFO will never be MFO and that's the fact. Or it will be small brother of MFO or whatever some want to call it. There is simply no reason to be hyped about (runes? lol).

Also, as per unlimited time, I'm not convinced it will be a good idea for RFO. Simply RFO and MFO are very different in a way we farm really rare items in MFO, while there are no real rare items on RFO. Runes are easier to farm and to get than some great scorers on MFO. Someone who invests 80 hours into MFO is not guaranteed to be a winner. Not even 100 hours can guarantee that. On RFO, on the other hand, if someone would invest like 20 hours more than anyone else, he is practically guaranteed to be a winner. Even if we implement unlimited running system with top 5 runes to score similar to MFO, it will still heavily favor player who invested slightly more time into RFO (with bigger margin than on MFO).
On the other hand, having 1.07 Travincal doesn't really balance things either. Single drop in 1.07 can guarantee you a victory, unless there are more 1.07 players in competition.

20 hour limitation has certain purposes/advantages: one is to give inspirative goal to the players, especially ones who are not godly dedicated runners. 20 hours is doable goal for anyone to manage in 2 weeks playing time and players are more likely to run 20 hours to fulfill that goal than to run 20 hours in unlimited conditions. Another thing is it actually gives fighting chance to basically anyone. Inspiration could come in a form of realizing that your 20 hours of invested time will be compared to 20 hours of other players invested time instead of being compared to say 60 hours of mad dog Grip or someone else. Like I said, RFO is not MFO, and here say 40 hour dedicated player practically has no chance of winning against 60 hours of other player, unless limit of top 5 runes to score instead of all.

It seems to me this system is more friendly toward all players and turns RFO into less serious competition than MFO is for sure. After all, we are here to have farming fun (who wants to really go insane no-life diabloing for runes?).

Last edited:
To be clear, I don't think a rune finding event should have unlimited time, and agree with your thoughts on the matter. The two shouldn't be compared at all, like you say, which is why (at least in principle) calling it an Olympics might not be the best choice. Again though, it doesn't actually matter. Rune Find.. Event, or RF..E for short, doesn't have the same ring to it after all.

I prefer this format. I don't have 1000 hours to game anymore. It will be a stretch to find 20 hours. So events like this are encouraging and motivating to me. Plus everyone needs more runes!

I'm still on the fence about this. New PoE 1 month leagues are during that time, and the Witcher 3 releases May 19th. That said, I've been getting the itch for SC again recently, and this would be a good way to do it. Cmon RJoFs and JMoDs! Runes are whatevs

-------------
Gripphon
Kitteh
Gino
srrw
zticazzy
bodry
TreeOfSmoke
thefranklin
Goobergrape
Zylo
Pharphis
RickH
--------------

1.13 Zealot p7
Test runs 2 Um 1 Mal avg 70 sec runtime... :(

GTX 970 arriving today with Witcher 3 voucher too, but I can spare 20 hours. (20 hrs straight that is..) :D

-------------
Gripphon
Kitteh
Gino
srrw
zticazzy
bodry
TreeOfSmoke
thefranklin
Goobergrape
Zylo
Pharphis
RickH
--------------

1.13 Zealot p7
Test runs 2 Um 1 Mal avg 70 sec runtime... :(

GTX 970 arriving today with Witcher 3 voucher too, but I can spare 20 hours. (20 hrs straight that is..) :D
Gear/stats? That feels slow for a zealot. My average runtime is around 50 seconds on p7.

Gear/stats? That feels slow for a zealot. My average runtime is around 50 seconds on p7.

Slow mostly because of PI Ismail..
Gear is usual setup:

Guillaime's (chammed)
Forti
Grief
Dwarfstar
Dual leach /AR ring
Gores
HoZ
SoE
LoH
Highlords

Switch CTA

Moron Forti/Andy's with fire res jewel/Reapers

Fastest time (when Ismail is playing nice..) is 52 secs.. (I take my time looking for small charms and jewels :rolleyes:)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High