Lag spikes in Diablo 2 singleplayer.

matjex

Oct 9, 2013
So I've tried just about everything that I could find about lag in singleplayer. Nothing seems to work. I get these lag spikes that are about 2 seconds long and show up periodically. It is a huge pain in the *** and it makes the game unplayable. Does anyone have suggestions to fix it? I have seriously tried so many things that does not seem to work.. all those compatibilities, and none seem to work. Sven's wrapper.. yes I also tried that.

Have you tried a different version of the graphic's card's drivers?

This game works rather interesting. I've bought a new PC not long ago and it seems to run a lot worse than on my old ancient one.

You don't have to add the -3dfx command line parameter. Just run the graphics test (D2VidTst.exe) and select glide there, after having put the dll into the D2 folder (or C:\windows\system32, but I prefer the D2 folder).

I have to switch off the Aero windows style thingie BTW (just resource-eating bells and whistles), else D2 crawls in full screen or doesn't work at all.

Do the errors occur after patching up to a higher game version? On Vista and beyond (maybe XP as well, but I don't think so), old D2 versions only run properly when run with admin privileges.

For me I have to do that. Running D2VidTst selects Glide, but the game doesn't actually use it (I always use window mode).

EDIT: You are also right about the "Disable Desktop Composition".

Have you tried a different version of the graphic's card's drivers?

This game works rather interesting. I've bought a new PC not long ago and it seems to run a lot worse than on my old ancient one.
I haven't. But won't this be an issue if I want to play other games? I mean changing between the drivers all the time..?

You don't have to add the -3dfx command line parameter. Just run the graphics test (D2VidTst.exe) and select glide there, after having put the dll into the D2 folder (or C:\windows\system32, but I prefer the D2 folder).

I have to switch off the Aero windows style thingie BTW (just resource-eating bells and whistles), else D2 crawls in full screen or doesn't work at all.

Do the errors occur after patching up to a higher game version? On Vista and beyond (maybe XP as well, but I don't think so), old D2 versions only run properly when run with admin privileges.
Well I never play other versions than 1.13, and I don't intent to play others atm.

I believe you need -3dfx if you plan to run in windowed mode.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High