Why don't I see strafezons using crushing blow?

Dazliare1

Jan 9, 2012
Title I guess. I read through a few of the mat strafers, and none of them seem to use crushing blow. With strafe firing arrows so quick, wouldn't crushing blow be extremely useful? Or does the damage with the right gear just far outweigh CB?

effect CB on missiles = sucks

Crushing blow gives a chance of reducing your targets health by a certain amount in a single blow
-Default: 1/4th
-vs. Players: 1/10th
-vs. Hirelings: 1/10th
-vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, default: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, vs. Players: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Hirelings: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th

get 5% chance at most and it's as good as higher amounts.

Now on a pike build switch it's nice.

Next question?

Last edited:
Your question has a lot of problems with it. Here are the reasons.

1. Crushing blow is really effective only vs high hp targets such as act bosses. Vs others, it doesn't matter much really.

2. No one in their right mind uses strafe against act bosses. Not only because of nextdelay, which means only 1 or 2 arrows in each strafe volley can hit the boss anyway, but also strafe lock, which can be extremely dangerous. Guided arrow even at one point is far superior against act bosses/ancients/stuff like that.

3. Crushing blow is nerfed for ranged characters. It is 1/2 the value of melee CB attacks, IIRC.

4. Normal bowazon equipment doesn't contain CB. It's not worth it to go out of your way to get it.

Actually 5% chance pops up on zon specific gloves all the time and is worth it if you use the big stick or are looking for 1 more occasional mod due to rapid fire, it is nice to have a little % just not worth a lot to build up the big % if not a melee build.

Actually 5% chance pops up on zon specific gloves all the time and is worth it if you use the big stick or are looking for 1 more occasional mod due to rapid fire, it is nice to have a little % just not worth a lot to build up the big % if not a melee build.
IIRC 5-10% CB is one of the mods on crafted knockback gloves :)

I think equipping Guillaume's Face against Baal should speed up the kill noticeably, but bowas aren't generally used to run bosses. The deadly strike that melee builds get from G-face and gores is also relatively weak on a bowa that already has 70% crit from Critical Strike.

Last edited:
Every bit helps and CS alone is silly throw on a min chance of DS and CB and let them trigger .
G-face is super for mercs and socketed is really nice, till you hit top-end and can find better as a set item I would bet on it being one of the most used merc helms really and it's a nice % upper for a lot of stuff.

5-10% cb is actually a property on crafted blood gloves, not the KB ones.
Though honestly you'll probably want to use laying of hands most of the time.

G-face again. Really not anything special for a bowa. They have better options mostly.

2. No one in their right mind uses strafe against act bosses. Not only because of nextdelay, which means only 1 or 2 arrows in each strafe volley can hit the boss anyway, but also strafe lock, which can be extremely dangerous. Guided arrow even at one point is far superior against act bosses/ancients/stuff like that.

Depending on chance to hit, attack rate and minimum arrows, Strafe can still outperform Guided Arrow against single targets, despite its next delay and damage penalty.

Against single targets, Strafe has maximum 5 frame attack rate with 50 EIAS at levels 8-11 (3 out of 4 arrows can hit in 15 frames) and levels 28-31 (5 out of 9 arrows can hit in 25 frames), and with 58 EIAS at levels 1-3 (2 arrows can hit in 10 frames). Guided Arrow has 9 frame attack rate with 50 EIAS, 8 frame with 56 EIAS and maximum 7 frame with 75 EIAS.

Consequently, at maximum attack rate Strafe applies modifiers like Crushing Blow faster than maximum attack rate GA when chance to hit is >71%, while it is faster than 8 frame GA with >62% chance to hit. In terms of weapon damage per second, it is better than 9 frame GA with >74% chance to hit, and better than 8 frame GA with >83% chance to hit; however, it is slightly worse than 7 frame GA even with 95% chance to hit.

I explored Strafe mechanics in the Crushing Blow and Strafe topic in the Amazon Basin's Bowazon Room, the results of which are summarised on the AB wiki's Strafe page.

Last edited:
Effective Increased Attack Speed?

To answer the OP question, I have frequently used Crushing Blow on my Strafers, to the extent of combining Guillame's, Gore Riders, and Duress for 65% chance. CB is not the main point of equipping these items, but certainly helps and is noticable. My optimised CS runner only has it on switch (Fleshripper - used to take down Big D out of lightning hose range), but she used the three mentioned items earlier on her journey. I've also been using a Strafer in HC MP to help another player level a character against NM Baal, and I've swapped in Guil's and Gore for her normal Hell gear (Kira's and Aldur's boots), because Baal goes down MUCH faster with them equipped (40% ED jewel in the Guil's helps a bit too).

Even with the penalty, a ranged CB strike on /players 1 Hell Baal will still hit for 30,000 damage. That puts it in perspective.

EDIT: I just remembered about Baal's 50% physical damage resistance. So if that effects CB (I think it does) then you're talking 15,000 damage per CB hit. Does Amp damage effect CB strikes as well?

Even with the penalty, a ranged CB strike on /players 1 Hell Baal will still hit for 30,000 damage. That puts it in perspective.

EDIT: I just remembered about Baal's 50% physical damage resistance. So if that effects CB (I think it does) then you're talking 15,000 damage per CB hit. Does Amp damage effect CB strikes as well?

imagine if it would. Amped, DS/CS, CB all in one shot.
But, hell p1 baal has 30,000+ HP? That's wild. Never looked at how much HP he had.

Actually, if a ranged CB attack takes 30,000 hp off Baal, that would mean baal had much more than 30,000 hp.
I know hell Baal has tons of Hp. Just never bothered to find out how much though.

If he only had 30k hp then lie sorcs would 1 hit him a good portion of the time :p

Can I know what is EIAS?

As Jason Maher has already posted, EIAS is Effective Increased Attack Speed. Item IAS is converted into EIAS like that applied by Fanaticism according to the diminishing returns formula EIAS = [ IAS*120 / (IAS+120) ].

Positive physical damage resistance reduces Crushing Blow damage but negative DR % doesn't increase it, so ranged Crushing Blow applied to 493,701 maximum life with DR 50% would result in ~15,428 damage, while cursing him with either Amplify Damage (DR -100%) or Decrepify (DR -50%) would result in ~30,856 damage.

Certainly seems as if even 15,428 added to the other damage done is pretty good.

Effective Increased Attack Speed?

To answer the OP question, I have frequently used Crushing Blow on my Strafers, to the extent of combining Guillame's, Gore Riders, and Duress for 65% chance. CB is not the main point of equipping these items, but certainly helps and is noticable. My optimised CS runner only has it on switch (Fleshripper - used to take down Big D out of lightning hose range), but she used the three mentioned items earlier on her journey. I've also been using a Strafer in HC MP to help another player level a character against NM Baal, and I've swapped in Guil's and Gore for her normal Hell gear (Kira's and Aldur's boots), because Baal goes down MUCH faster with them equipped (40% ED jewel in the Guil's helps a bit too).

I'm "the other player" and can definitely vouch for B going down quicker with the CB gear on.

Baal is not really a basis for comparison. We all know CB is good vs Baal. Think about all the 99% of the monsters in the game that aren't Baal..

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High