Hydra Sorc in HC?

PosImpos

Aug 10, 2009
Hydra Sorc in HC?

In anticipation of D3 (and out of boredom), I've decided to install D2 yet again and try doing something I've never done before, though I've played D2 on and off for years and years -- play my way all the way through hell, untwinked, in hardcore mode.

One of my very first chars was a hydra sorc. When I saw that Hydra had gotten a buff in the most recent patch, I had to wonder, is Hydra a stronger / more viable main skill now? I was thinking of making a trap assassin for HC, and I probably still will as my first and main character, but I thought I might need a secondary / backup. It seems to me that a hydra sorc might function very similarly to a trap assassin only with teleport.

Any thoughts?

Re: Hydra Sorc in HC?

As far as Hydra Sorcs are concerned, I have a couple of them still in my off-ladder accounts. They are quite a viable build but as has been mentioned they are definitely not for players who like to Teleport around a lot (which IMO you are insane to do in Hardcore Hell with anything but an absolutely top-geared Sorceress, anyway).

Also, it can be a little frustrating until the Hydras get maxed out and you then start adding to the synergy skills (especially around high life, resistant monsters like Urdars), and of course you will need FO (or something else, don't forget at least a few points in Static Field!) for those @#&$!#%$!# Fire Immune Carvers in Hell Act 1.

Another type of monster that just gives this type of character fits, are those @!^$@## Fire Immune Witches in the Hell Ice Caverns; they can usually splatter your poor Act 2 Holy Freeze Mercenary all over the chilly floor in a second and a half, leaving you with only a weak Frozen Orb and precious few hit points to use against 'em. Ugh!

N.B. One other factor about Hydra Sorceresses that was not mentioned, but which is actually pretty important if you are using one as a "pioneer" character on a new Ladder, etc., is that they are very cheap and easy to build with ghetto gear. Because the Hydras are always going to be scouting out for you, there is much less need for a shield than would otherwise be the case (it's still a good idea, obviously, if you can get a really good shield), since you are usually going to have some warning about dangerous ranged attackers like Gloams and Might Archers.

You can get away with (for example) just a Leaf staff, a Lore hat, a Smoke body suit, anything else with resists and you're almost good to go for Hell. Don't forget that occasionally you will find staves with up to +3 to Hydra built in to them; this can become a very nice skill booster if made into Leaf or (even better), Memory.

Another "trick" is to find a staff with adders to Cold Mastery or Frozen Orb built in to boost your FO so it can kill in Hell (you aren't going to have a lot in the way of Cold Mastery, after all).

They're a good character for a "go slow" player... not so much for those of us who like to run with the pack. YMMV!

Cheers

Mr. Bill

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High