Mf Sorc Build

strongbowman

Dec 30, 2010
Mf Sorc Build

Whatsup guys. Newly back on D2 and looking to build a Mf Sorc. I was wondering what the best route to head was, skill wise. Based on monster immunes i would have thought a duo element sorc to be best. However i am unsure on which two to choose.

Any suggestions would be appriciated. Also if any1 has used a already published guide that has proven useful, i would appriciate the head up.
Thanks.

Re: Mf Sorc Build

Start by checking the guide sticky for meteorb, blizzballer and CL/Orb builds, the two first are the most common fire/cold variants and the third makes a good area runner.

That said pure blizzard is also worth checking out.

I can recommend pure blizzard sorcie myself.
Normal and NM will get owned badly, and in Hell you can always teleport away.
it will be hard to reach to Hell Pindle with single element, but once you get there, you have all you need. just teleport away from anything that is cold immune.
Pindle and AT are open, and that = wealth + exp.
My sorcie did a lot of teleporting and I gotto pindle on some lvl 87 or so.
(i did a lot of AT runs on /p8 as soon as i got to Lost City waypoint), and havent moved from A2 for quite a while)
now I am mid lvl 92, and still havent done Ancients, let alone Baal.

that all, of course, if you decide to go blizz path :D

chizra got it nailed.

Do pure blizz. Get to Hell A2 - Lost City. Do AT runs until desired wealth level.
Good cheap gear: Spirit runeword in a crystal sword, lore runeword, wealth runeword, Skin of the Vipermagi, duress + obedience runeword for your act 2 merc.
Note that in 1.13c rune drop probabilities are highly increased and you'll be getting plenty of mid level runes questing in NM or running NM Countess.
The gear you'll be aiming for, in this thread.

If you afterwards want to mat this girl you can do one of two things:
  1. The easy(cheesy) way. Just respec to fire+cold after finishing AT runs. With the wealth acquired from your AT runs you'll steamroll the rest of Hell.
  2. The expensive way. Let the merc kill the immunes. A merc with infinity is probably best, even though the conviction aura won't break any cold immunities. The -83% def will let the merc hit anything, 40% crushing blow is quite competent and the conviciton aura will override any other conviction from bosses which can be life saving as well.
    Getting the runes for infinity will however require quite an effort and AT is not the best place for high runes.

I was in a similar position as you recently. I got fairly lucky with my nm forge drop and was able to stretch that and some other stuff to get tals set. With respec added getting your build right the first time isn't super important. I'm currently meteorb (check the sticky) and it's working out well. My guard is fairly weak but I am able to solo Andy and meph no problem without him.

I am following a MF sorc guide that was posted in one of the stickies. It had frozen orb as the spell of choice.

But which is better for MFing? Blizzard or Orb?

bummer. i've been doing frozen orb. it's been working pretty good IMO but i've only done normal runs so far. I'll have to try that reset thing in act 1 later on. I have to fix a misplaced point anyway.

thanks

Pure blizz isn't the only way to go and some people don't even like it, it can just be a matter of preference. Personally I don't care to use blizzard and prefer frozen orb, for me it has to do with the style of spell. I highly recommend these threads if you want to use frozen orb. They will give you a lot of information in general as well as specific builds that can really work out well. I made a frozen orb sorc when I started playing again and she worked out great.

Ashen

Last edited:

Thanks. My main objective with my sorc was to be a cheap MF build since I only just started playing again recently and have no good equipment. I have always liked orb myself especially since it covers a larger area than blizzard. Blizzard always seemed to be too much of a hit or miss type of spell.

i use orb over blizz for pvm as orb requires a lot less points to reach max effectiveness this leves you with a lot of convenience points that can either take you to another element or as in my case make teleport free get enchant for the merc some mana shield etc etc etc.

as pure cold you have to pimp your merc some but that doesnt require expensive runewords as i guess you wount have a lot of wealth atm.
Reapers toll is great as he can then kill PI's and slow bosses even more

I have personally tested like 12 variations of "budget builds" or "dual tree builds" in SP (literally spent weeks doing multiple build/gear setups).

I personally love the blizzballer (hence my name!). Orb/FB came in a close second though!

I use full tal, no skillers, and roll around with;

5k+ FB
4k+ Blizz
1950 hp (1300 w/o 1bo)
1200 mana (900 w/o 1bo)
86fhr
105fcr
300mf+
75+ all res's

This is all with just 1bo on switch.

A gheed, torch, anni and a couple 5fhr's in the inv.

Merc is pimped out as well and can take care of double immunes with pure melee after a 1pt static.

If you are just starting out..save for full tal's and don't worry about inv gear or switch gear it would still be great imho :)

I really don't think it's easy to match the cost/performance/all around utility of a good dual spec sorc! I can solo just about everything in the game and handles well even in full games! Carry a NP ring for Nith though or you'll get raped.

Where do you play anyway? I just came back after years as well..lost one of
my VERY expensive acccounts though :(

Cheers and GL!

Frozen orb will rip through anything in nm... but I prefer blizzard for boss runs in hell. (some version of the blizzballer) Frozen orb always becomes tedious for me during hell, especially if I'm untwinked.

I was running a meph glitch sorc in classic for a while. Does anyone do this in LOD? Possible? Being able to kill meph without any mf and get very decent drops is pretty cool.

I was running a meph glitch sorc in classic for a while. Does anyone do this in LOD? Possible? Being able to kill meph without any mf and get very decent drops is pretty cool.
Yes, it's of course possible to do on LoD to, and I'd expect quite a few of us to be doing it.

In my case it's mostly mephisto while untwinked, and later I move on to "glitched" baalruns (though also add in andy/meph/dia and a few superuniques ... for variations sake).

Loved meph glitching in classic because I hate trying to do crap with mf gear on, and glitch drops were better than anything I ever saw reg mfing with high mf% anyways. took about as long as whatever CS group I was following, and baal takes a little longer than a good CS group unless they skip baal.

on classic used a basic static/orb build. with max cold/light resist, some poisen resist, and max block. would just stand outside his melee range and tank his magic attacks, blocking most of his balls of pain.

how are you setting up sorcs for meph glitching in LOD since static is capped, prefering to avoid moat trick if possible since mf gear isnt needed?
dex req too much to be worth max block? everything I can find on meph glitching seems related to classic only.
would appreciate some advice

wont have godly gear, but can afford a fairly decent setup. Also, sorc prob wont be much over 70 because I can't xp in hell baal or cs, and cow games are very rare.

Last edited:

how are you setting up sorcs for meph glitching in LOD since static is capped, prefering to avoid moat trick if possible since mf gear isnt needed?
dex req too much to be worth max block? everything I can find on meph glitching seems related to classic only.
would appreciate some advice
On LoD you'll normally use moat trick while untwinked. However, sooner or later most builds reach a point where they can kill meph faster then he can kill your merc.

There's really not much more to it. LoD items plus the ability to equip and keep your mercenary across the acts make things a lot easier ... even if static has been nerfed.

You can go to 75 fairly easy in nightmare baals, questing through act1-3 of hell should get you to 80.

Some go max block, I usually don't since it requires a shield with a good base block to be viable.
Code:
[B]Blocking[/B]
[SIZE=-1]Total Blocking % = Min( [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)] , 75)[/SIZE]

Dexterity investment for 75% block with a selection of shields:
[SIZE=-1][B]cLvl  Whitstan's  Gerke's  Spirit Ward  Visceratuant*  Stormshield  Moser's*[/B]
85    162         188      193          193            206          212
86    164         190      195          195            208          214
87    165         192      197          197            210          216
88    167         194      199          199            213          219
89    169         196      201          201            215          221
90    171         198      203          203            217          223
91    172         200      205          205            219          225
92    174         202      207          207            221          228
93    176         204      209          209            224          230
94    178         206      211          211            226          232
95    179         208      213          213            228          235
[/SIZE]
[B]* =[/B] Upgraded versions
[B]cLvl =[/B] Character Level

what do you consider untwinked? dont plan on trying to get tal rasha stuff, will be picking up viper magi, probably dual spirit with low fcr, arach belt(depending on how successful my javazon is), magefist, shako, ravenfrost, and random other stuff. def cant get crazy expensive merc gear. vamp gaze and shaft and whatever wep I can afford

also what build would you suggest for specifically killing meph in 4-8 player games that would be ok for countess runs?

Untwinked to me is to play only with what you find, preferably without rerunning areas, however I'm not that strict on that last part personally.

Once I start finding things like viper and occu from having rerun mephisto enough, I stop calling my sorc untwinked, even if everything is self-found. However, should I find those items without using any reruns then it's fine to keep calling it untwinked ... but just barely.

For 4-8p meph you would normally go with a pure blizzard build, other builds cannot really compete until you get infinity imo. However, when adding countess you'll want a second element, suggestions include blova, blizzballer and meteblizz.

I don't see being able to afford infinity any time soon.
If i cant afford crazy merc gear I assume I am not even bothering with one. Am i stuck using moat trick if I dont have infinity?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High