(re)Introduction and Matriarch Smoke

Doctor Clock

Jul 20, 2004
(re)Introduction and Matriarch Smoke

(re)Introduction: I’m Doctor Clock. I like diablo 2, the SPF, books, hiking, and Paladins. I don’t post much but I lurk a lot. Shin guards equipped.

Well, I’ve been away from Diablo for some time doing other things but I got the itch again recently and finished up an Assassin I had parked in mid nightmare. She’s a Kicker/trapper hybrid thingy. To be honest, my knowledge of Assassins prior to this character was something along the lines of: “Oh yeah, that class existsâ€. So, playing her was quite a learning experience.

Matriarch Smoke level 86 Assassin

Stats w/ gear:

Str: 156
Dex: 224
Vita: 226
Ene: lol

DT kick damage: 614-993
12746 Attack Rating

Lightning Sentry damage: 1-2357

HPs: 1210
Resistances (with fade):
75/75/85/72

Items:

Head: Guillaume’s Face
Neck: Mara’s Kaleidoscope
Weapon: Crescent Moon Phase Blade
Shield: Moser’s Blessed Circle
Armor: Treachery Archon Plate
Gloves: Dracul’s Grasp
Belt: Thundergod’s Vigor
Rings: Raven Frost/ Manald Heal
Boots: upped Gore Rider

And an inventory full of Resistance/life charms, 1 Trap skiller, and a Gheed’s Fortune.

Holy Freeze Merc:

Vamp
Reaper’s
Duriel’s

Skills (with gear):

9 Shadow Master

24 Dragon Talon

18 Charged Bolt Sentry
25 Lightning Sentry
25 Death Sentry

And 1 point in most of the other skills.

Notable finds:
Jala’s Mane
Death’s Fathom (15% meh)
4os eth Berserker Axe (needed one for a Frenzy Barb I want to build)
Wraith Flight
Hell Hellforge: Um rune (don’t remember NM Hellforge)

Thoughts:

I don’t remember much of anything from Normal or the first half of Nightmare. I used a Crushflange until I could equip Crescent Moon. That’s about it.

All in all, I only have good things to say about this character. Kicking is fun, Dragon Flight is awesome, Death Sentry makes everything dead, etc. I had a real blast playing this character. She had a lot of skills to use and I could adapt my play style on the fly. If things got dangerous, I could sit back and spam Mind Blast while keeping my trap ups, or just charge in and deal out some sweet five-toed justice.

What I liked best was that there was no down time. Of course, Death Sentry did the majority of the killing, but there was still plenty to do before the corpses hit the floor. I never felt like I was sitting around waiting for corpses the way I do when I play a Fishymancer, which I really enjoyed.

I also liked how playing her was a real visual treat. With Lightning Sentries shooting off, my Shadow Master doing whatever it was she was doing, bodies exploding, Crescent Moon procs, and the myriad of Assassin skills, it was actually fun to watch her in action.

Overall, very powerful, very safe, and doesn’t require terribly uber gear. Played through Normal and NM on /players 8, Act 1 Hell on /players 8, and the rest of Hell on /players 5. Only had problems with Hell Ancients, Hell Baal’s Minions, and a few nasty unique packs. Lightning Immunes were annoying, but 50% CB + Merc + Death Sentry wore them down.

She’s tired after fighting the Prime Evils and will retire. I usually don’t play my characters much after Pat/Mat. Thanks for reading.

Re: (re)Introduction and Matriarch Smoke

Welcome back :wave:

The best pvm sin build imo, and one of my all time favourites.

Congratulations on the Mat :thumbsup:

Welcome back, mate! Anyone who remembers the olden days of D2 deserves a seat of honor here at the SPF.

In that regard, feel free to pull up a bar stool in the EMB or spam away in the dailies. We can turn you into a full-fledged poster in no time if you want to hang out with us there! :wink:

Stick around! Glad to have you aboard (again)!

-TRM

I remember you, I thought you only played Paladins?

Anyway, nice char. A martial artist is a build on my to-do-list as well. But like you, I still tend to forget that more than 5 classes exist in D2. I always thought that playing a martial artist required too much micromanagement and hotkey bashing. How wrong am I?

@AJK I play mostly Paladins, but I like to have some variety every now and then. I've also exhausted a good portion of the Paladin builds I've dreamed up. I have a few more, though.

Yeah, there was a lot of hotkey rotation going on. I liked it, though. Most fights looked like: Cloak of Shadows, Mind Blast, Mind Blast, Traps x 5, kick kick kick, and repeat until there were corpses. It was about as complicated as Barb warcry buffing, except doing it a lot more often.

@AJK I play mostly Paladins, but I like to have some variety every now and then. I've also exhausted a good portion of the Paladin builds I've [highlight]dreamed[/highlight] up. I have a few more, though.

With 1.13 rune droprates you can actually dream of making a dual-dreamer.:nod:

Congrats to your Mat and, yes there is a lot of hotkey using along with playing assasins, i learned that when i guided my ninja through hell. i never used constantly so many hotkeys before. with other chars its just buffing in the beginning and then using your main skills.
but with assasins you are mind blasting, using cloak of shadows or trying to charge up all melee attaks at on time... great challenge and pure fun.
thats what i like most about those two "new" classes druids and assa, this huge variety of builds and different playstyle.

Welcome back ...:thumbsup:

I should do a reintro thread sometime ... I just normally slink out of "vacation-mode" and post a few before disappearing for awhile longer. With 1.13 looming on the horizon methinks i'll stay around a bit longer now. :yes:

Plus, i've seen Doc Tenshi re-emerging and he says he's gonna update ATMA while 1.13 is out ... is RTB around nowadays or is he still WoW'ing? Need some of the stats gurus around.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High