Invisible Charged Bolts of Doom!

Jason Maher

Sep 13, 2007
Invisible Charged Bolts of Doom!

Had a weird experience tonight. A unique zombie in the Ancient Tunnels took me down twice with some sort of invisible, incredibly damaging projectile. After the second death, I hovered the mouse pointer over the monster's name to check the mods, and it was lightning and cold enchanted (which mods I know through a stupid bug stack their damage on top of each other). The thing is, and I payed careful attention when retrieving both my bodies, there were no visible charged bolts coming off the monster. My merc nearly went down very quickly again. I presume they were double-damage invisible charged bolts.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Re: Invisible Charged Bolts of Doom!

I think I've encountered something very similar, though I just thought it was a visual glitch. I'm not sure if they were more damaging than ones that are visible but it is quite frustrating to deal with when you can't see them (it's not like the actual path of the visible charged bolts actually reflect when and where you take damage). Do you still get that sizzling sound of a normal charged bolt hitting you?

This sounds a bit like the CE bug (similar to the old FE bug) where, if you stand rather close to such a boss when it gets hit, will sometimes deal the CE death nova damage with its bolts. This damage has been nerfed in v1.11, but not so much in Nightmare as in Hell difficulty. Did you use a HF merc (so its pulses may have triggered the bolts)?

Last edited:

Grimborn's Guide to Boss Mods said:
Bosses with multiple enchantments are bugged, and emit dangerous (and in some cases invisible) elemental explosions. When a Fire Enchanted/Cold Enchanted boss dies it emits two fire and two cold explosions. When a Fire Enchanted/Lightening Enchanted boss (including beetles) goes into hit recovery it emits an invisible fire explosion. When a Cold Enchanted/Lightening Enchanted boss (including beetles) goes into hit recovery it emits an invisible cold explosion. If the boss is locked into hit recovery mode, the invisible explosions continue.

When a Cold+Fire+Lightening Enchanted boss (or CE+FE beetle) goes into hit recovery it emits both invisible fire and cold explosions. When it dies it emits two fire and two cold explosions.

CE+FE+Conviction beetles ftw.

There was no sizzling charged bolt sound that I noticed, although Blizzard and Ice Blast are noisy spells, so it could have been there. While jiansonz may well be correct, that still doesn't explain the lack of visible bolts on a LE unique.

And for the record, on most of my characters I use an Insight Prayer merc (partly because the eth Thresher Insight stick I have is still my most damaging polearm, and partly because I've only just found a Reaper's Toll).

Well, if the boss was CE+LE, an invisible cold nova (stats identical with CE bosses death nova) was emitted every time you or your merc put the boss in hit recovery. Even if you didn't get hit by the charged bolts, it is definitely possible the cold nova hit your character.

Oops. For some reason I assumed you were quoting smokeblade or jiansonz and thus I skipped the quote. Will learn me to pay attention.

So in summary, multiple enchanments = major hurtiness (often invisible).

Oh yes. Pindle has hit me with invisible lightning bolts as well when he's LE. Didn't check if he had multiple enchantments, but I bet he did.

Since he is always FE, I won´t bet against you. :wink:

Jason: One possibility is that boss had multiple shot and I think that it cause charge bolts are going in tripple frequency then from normal boss without multiple shot.

Well Multishot lightning enchanted is not that bad as it was in 1.09 and 1.07 aswell. I did serious damage causing instant death and sometimes they were invisible too. Fun for HC character back then

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High