smiter/zealot question

baker

Jun 20, 2009
smiter/zealot question

so ive read all the guides, and still cant find out what attack they use. is it zeal or smite? or which do they use for what? referfing to the 1pt uber smiter guide it said zeal was #1. in theory could i use zeal and smite?
i was thinking about:
max smite
max holly sheild
max fana
max zeal
max sacrifice
and rest into deiance, wouold this make a good char?

Last edited:
Re: smiter/zealot question

so ive read all the guides, referfing to the 1pt uber smiter guide.
i was thinking about:
max smite

:doh: re-read maybe :)

Apply some common sense, you're hardly going to max Zeal & synergy and not use it. Smite hits 1 mob, Zeal can hit lots. But in a nutshell, Smite bosses, Zeal everything else.

thank you so much! thats exactly what i was looking for tyvm, but i have points left over so y not max smite?

Mate, seriously, read the guide
the 1 point smite guide u still haven't read said:
Why only 1pt in Smite?

All paladins that use holy shield have at least one point in smite as prerequisite.
Smite damage roughly depends on active damage auras (might,concentration,fanaticism), skill points invested and totally skill level of smite and holy shield,( since smite has no synergy), type of shield used (every shield has a certain base smite damage), enhanced damage % from the gear (eg. ed%jewels,fortitude etc) EXCEPT from the main weapon itself, total strength of char and last but not least +damage modifier from weapon.

The skill qualities of smite (ignores ubers' defense, uninterruptible, stun/knockback etc) are the same whether we talk about 1 or maxed. Same goes for crushing blow and open wounds effect.

As we can see the only actual difference between a build that has only 1pt in smite and one that has maxed it ,is only this, the level of smite itself. At this point we can guess that a maxed smite build will naturally have bigger smite damage in the end, with the same gear used, but we don't know the exact difference.

Test gear. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.

Char with lvl 20 fanaticism,20 lvl holy shield,1pt smite.
Gear. Zakarum shield, shael phase blade (max smite speed, doesn't really matter but just asuming), fortitude armor, 150 strength.

His total damage is 966-994.

The same exactly char/gear with maxed smite this time will be dealing 1259-1296 smite damage.

If the zakarum shield is an upgraded herald of zakarum and the weapon is now a double shael heaven's light 3+ skills the damage will be like this.

1pt smite=1392-1424
20pt=1765-1806

A bit less than 400 average damage per hit. In my book this difference may be significant for pvp but insignificant for ubers. The chars have the same amount of crushing blow so they will reach at the last sliver of uber life simoultaneously and the maxed smiter will probably just be few seconds faster.

but assuming that was also too much for you to read:
The extra 19 points in smite add very little damage, and we're mainly killing ubers with CB/OW etc, so the 19 points don't really save us much time at all when killing ubers.

Yes, tho i'd get vigor, redemption & salvation aswell for situation use.
Some guide that might be worth reading said:
Skill distribution (identical to a pure Fanatic Zealot, that’s what you really are).

Max Zeal (main skill, used vs all monsters in the game besides bosses and for crowd control in tristram)
Max Sacrifice (Zeal damage synergy)
Max Fanaticism (main aura, provides ias, attack rating bonus and great damage)
Max Holy Shield (great defense, block and smite damage boost).
1pt in prerequisites. Remaining skill points can go to either defiance for defense bonus or blessed aim. 1pt in salvation is a good idea as well.

I can continue quoting the guide to you, as the whole idea of a guide is to tell you everything you need to know in one place, and as this is a good guide it does just that.

Infact that quote even answered the "what attack when?" question aswell, you see how it works, you read the guide, and it tells you what you need to know, magic!

No real harm done, it's just somewhat silly to answer all these questions you could have answered for yourself.

i read it several times, the more i read and talked to people, the more i got confuesed. i tried talking to other people cuz the part on attacks was allitlle unclear to me, then they were telling me they never heard of people that did zeal and smite, and they said i didnt know what i was talking about, so i got confused.

The extra 19 points in smite add very little damage, and we're mainly killing ubers with CB/OW etc, so the 19 points don't really save us much time at all when killing ubers.

i've tried both. the 20 smite guy is quite a bit faster. the guy who wrote this 1 pt smiter guide had a point but clearly he was overselling it.

thing is, it is possible to have a guy that has both zeal and smite maxed. zeal owns pvm while smite owns the ubers. the opposite isnt true at all (smite sucks for pvm, and zeal sucks for ubers). i'm talking about a 20 zeal, 20 smite, 20 sacrifice, 20 holy shield, 20 fana pally, done @ lvl 95.

even for pvm alone, having both skills maxed is an advantage since grief is itd. this mod only works on normal monsters, not bosses, so having 20 smite for those means you dont have to worry about AR at all on your gear (unlike if you were a pure zealot). you can then focus on +skills for big damage.

i'm not sure what your goal is with this char... but defiance is overkill for pvm and, like someone said, would only be useful for pvping melee-type chars against which having huge def is a good thing. resist lightning is purely a pvp type of thing as well, and should only be used on a smiter (since zealots suck in pvp).

Tbh on my 1 point smiter i've not bothered spend the extra points anywhere, they're not really needed. 1 point smite does an excellent job on ubers/dc and none of the other options, defiance, BA, resist X really add that much extra for pvm. So for me at least you can spend there whereever you prefer, be that smite, defiance or something completely different.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High