Finger Print

kavlor

Dec 25, 2004
Finger Print

Wouldn't this require 3rd party software to see and whats the reason for even listing it ?

Re: Finger Print

???

Context ?

It would require 3rd party software because item fingerprints are never displayed visually in the game, but are in item information in a save file that can be read by those who know how to read save files manually. ATMA, Flavie, and GoMule are examples.

The purpose for them is to assist with dupe detection, which is much easier with SP/LAN characters since they're saved to your computer rather than the Blizzard servers, where item fingerprints can't be retrieved by some user to determine legitimacy. If two items have the same fingerprint, it's a dupe. Detection is normally achieved simply by comparing a given fingerprint to a list of known dupe fingerprints, then reporting what's been matched.

It's about fingerprints of items on SP which are shown e.g. by ATMA. It's used to detect common dupes. The game produces them on its own, so I doubt that it's impossible to change them in order to make a dupe look like a genuine item. However, it might not be that easy.

I guess that Fingerprints aren't available on bnet, they probably exist in save files only.

Ok maybe the times Ive seen them its been single player items.It just seemed Blatant to display a finger print for a closed Bnet item as its more or less advertising your a 3rd party program user.Some places(in the forum) both closed bnet and Sp items can be in the same place and I didn't think of that.Still just to show off an item I dont see the need to list Fingerprint but I guess it doesn't hurt anything.

I'm pretty sure you can't get a fingerprint on a closed bnet item unless the server is somehow hacked into to get to the save files (at least I'm assuming it's simply save files on another system, no idea how that works). So it's pretty much impossible.

Fingerprints on SP items makes sense in case people wish to do a little research for themselves to determine whether it's legit.

If two items have the same fingerprint, it's a dupe. Detection is normally achieved simply by comparing a given fingerprint to a list of known dupe fingerprints, then reporting what's been matched.

That's not always true since there are only so many fingerprints available (4.3 billion). I'm sure that there have been many more than 4.3 billion items generated, even just on the closed realms, so I wonder if that's the only dupe criterion that blizz uses, or if the item names have to match too.

Incidentally, in a set of 77000 items, there is a 50% chance that some pair has the same fingerprint: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730066 So, I guarantee that there are many pairs of legitimate items in any given ladder season that have the same fingerprint. (Of course, most of the items generated get left on the ground or sold for gold).

And runes don't get fingerprints, so fingerprints are of limited use in catching dupes.***

Ok maybe the times Ive seen them its been single player items.It just seemed Blatant to display a finger print for a closed Bnet item as its more or less advertising your a 3rd party program user.Some places(in the forum) both closed bnet and Sp items can be in the same place and I didn't think of that.Still just to show off an item I dont see the need to list Fingerprint but I guess it doesn't hurt anything.

In that case, it's listed because ATMA and GoMule report it, and there's no reason to take it out. In the Single Player Trade Forum, fingerprints help to prevent someone from trading trading dupes (so, in that case, they would be listed even if it took extra effort).

Edit: *** Hmmm, maybe atma just doesn't display them?

Last edited:

That's not always true since there are only so many fingerprints available (4.3 billion). I'm sure that there have been many more than 4.3 billion items generated, even just on the closed realms, so I wonder if that's the only dupe criterion that blizz uses, or if the item names have to match too.
I actually meant that as what third party programs use. Blizzard probably has some other logging method or somesuch.

And runes don't get fingerprints, so fingerprints are of limited use in catching dupes.
For reference, this is also true for gems and miscellaneous items like scrolls and potions, but those aren't important to keep track of. I also think starting items have static fingerprints, since they're not drop generated.

I actually meant that as what third party programs use. Blizzard probably has some other logging method or somesuch.

For reference, this is also true for gems and miscellaneous items like scrolls and potions, but those aren't important to keep track of. I also think starting items have static fingerprints, since they're not drop generated.

Okay.

Now I'm thinking that either runes do get fingerprints and atma just doesn't display it, and/or blizz must have some other dupe detector.

In the SP forum, usually a history of the rune (including screenshots) is needed if you want to trade a higher rune. And I think that mostly only long time members trade such runes.

Indeed. I don't think anyone would be able to accurately say what battle.net stores with regards to item fingerprints. It's very possible that their system is much more complex than single player, where there isn't really a major need for dupe detection.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High