3char Synergy

SAMTRON

Nov 15, 2004
3char Synergy

Hello there! Me and two of my friends are looking to start d2 again after a prolonged absence from the game, in connection with the upcoming reset to the ladder. Thus, we are looking for a good combination of characters/builds for mainly pve, uber tristram, diablo clone and the like. Very much appreciate all input! xoxo

Re: 3char Synergy

For just starting out, my vote would be:

1: vengeance pally with conviction. he'll have 1pt smite for Ubers and his conviction aura, if high enough, will cancel out UMeph's aura.
2: sorc. Fireball/orb will probably work best if she plays a lot of solo, but really, any sorc will smash face with the conviction aura on. And the teleport will be EXTREMELY helpful since you won't have enigma.
3: any. A couple suggestions might be: summoning necro because they're a beast even when untwinked, provide excellent party protection, and CE, while already deadly, will kick even more butt with convic. Trap assassin for synergy with conviction aura to their main attack and their own version of CE w/ Death Sentry. But really, a wind druid, another sorc, a hammerdin, or anything else could fit this slot. I would suggest against a barb or shapeshifter druid (unless you want to do a FC bear) simply because they're too gear dependent to do dmg when going untwinked.

-f

::EDIT:: forgot to mention, with a summoning necro the curses will be a HUGE help (LR + convic anyone?? decrep + gumby on bosses?? Dim Vision on gloams??) AND they can help with Utrist/Dclone if they revive Urdars to give +crushing blow. Yes, after I think about it I vote summoning necro as the 3rd party member.

I agree with mcgee with the first two but I think I would suggest a barb for BO. I think its very important for hell and if you decide to make a singer then baal runs will be cake. Or maybe a singer/berserker hybrid or frenzy/singer hybrid. Barbs are also great for trav runs. Leap or warcry vs the coucil while everyone else pounds on them. If barbs are not to your tastes then maybe a pure lightning zon. LF+CS+conviction owns. Hell baal in 8 ppl games will go down in seconds.

You have gotten some solid advice I would just like to add a few things.

Don't bother going dual element with the sorc, if you have the conviction from the paladin going pure lightning could be a very good choise since immunities will be taken care of by the conviction.

Getting a barb as third char would be a good choise, due to BO. Also, another tank is allways nice. A trapper or a Necro are both great support chars too...

Thanks for all the good advice.

@Borje, ive been thinking about that, ive had my doubts tho since i cant be 100% sure that the pally will always be online when i am. My sorc will mainly be used for MFing and gearing the other two chars up, are there alot of good MF areas i can run even without the pally, where there wont be any lightning immunes?

Agree with Borje completely that a lightning only sorc will do best WITH the pally around. However, since you're going to be doing some solo stuff as well, esp MF runs or rushing people, you should really go dual element. There's a great Meteorb (fireball or meteor + orb) guide by Sasja in the sorc forums.

Barbs will definitely help with BO, but since they're so gear dependent he will really feel like a support-only character unless you get lucky early and get him a good weapon. I suggest against barb only because the person who ends up playing him will be really bored - cast BO/Shout then sort of walk around behind the pally/sorc while they kill stuff... doesn't sound fun to me. Of course if you mf a good weapon for him that can change.

Necros will provide you with just as much protection in the form of multiple meat shields - only place where necro lacks protection v. barb is if you're teleporting ahead with your sorc as a barb's BO will still help her there. Plus, necro will be able to kill enemies super fast with CE - probably faster than the sorc in many instances.

-f

{...} i cant be 100% sure that the pally will always be online when i am. {...}

Player preferences and how often you're going to be together vs. solo are really too important to your questions for us to give good answers for you!

But assuming, from clues dropped, that you need to solo, don't have any wealth yet, will play more than your friends, but want the group to work well when you're together (all the way to Ubers) and that none of you care which classes you play (so that all of us can recommend any combos we want)...

Start with the primary player being a Summoner. They ramp up fast with little gear investment. They MF pretty well vs. non-Act bosses. The Trangs set is good gear to aim for and costs less than 1 HR on trade forums here. They support party play really well (summon builds don't need tons of skill points, so you can utilize Curses easily--my advice: avoid the bone tree apart from CE). Some people find them hard to solo vs. act bosses (but you're going to have friends so I forsee no problems).

If one of the three of you is a Summoner then I strongly recommend another be an Enchantress. The gear for that is cheap (weapon switch +3 enchant staff shopped for and socked/runed to Leaf is trivial) and a Demon Machine + Razortail (again, cheap) make the build quite playable in the field and (imho, ymmv) quite fun.

If, of the three of you, two of you can reliably get together, then playing the Necro and Enc together is a cakewalk (imho before you start enchant@18 and get your first point in Fire Mastery make a detour to put your intended build total of points for Static Field in early, which will make you/Necro level in norm/nightmare much faster and is too often neglected in Hell)

Of course, as others have mentioned, having a Barb (max BO) is very useful for a group, making play pretty forgiving (esp. vs. Ubers, who can one-hit-kill chars with low HPs). With a protective necro army the Barb can focus on MF gear and horking corpses behind the lines (Find Item) to help you all get wealthy faster. Once you do the Ubers the necro will neutralize the field while the enchanted barb goes toe-to-toe with crushing blow to take down the Uber (just in case the Barb's ego is bruised by not being super vital in normal play, just remind him he's the the Boss man!)

BTW, when you're poor, aiming to make a Lawbringer for someone in your party to have on weapon switch (probably the Enchantress) in nasty undead spots is a helpful, typically overlooked, trick (Sanctuary aura, knockback of all nearby undead every 2 secs).

I've done play duos of nec/enc in both classic and LoD back in v1.10 and they're so good it rather surprises me that more people don't recommend it (I imagine they don't realize that solo play of the enc can also be fun, although your practical MF runs are a bit different than what most people are used to)

This trio works well alone, in duos, or with their powers combined.

1: Paladin with Conviction and Holy Shield. Sprinkle in Zeal and Vigor if desired.
2: Sorceress with Frozen Orb and either Chain Lightning/Lightning Mastery or Meteor/Fire Mastery. Sprinkle in Thunderstorm if desired.
3: Necromancer with Raise Skeleton, Skeleton Mastery, and Revive. Sprinkle in Amplify Damage, Decrepify, and Lower Resist.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High