OT: Help Me Pick A Topic For A School Paper

Ipsilantee1

Feb 4, 2009
OT: Help Me Pick A Topic For A School Paper

Hi All,

I've been assigned a 5000 word essay from one of my classes having to do with a revolution that has happened in the past. I will need to explain the specific events which occurred during that specific revolution, point of views from each side of the revolution, what impact the result had on the world, and my opinion on how much good or bad came from it along with some other things.

This is the definition I am going off of (from the Merriam Webster Dictionary)

a: a sudden, radical, or complete change

b: a fundamental change in political organization ; especially : the overthrow or renunciation of one government or ruler and the substitution of another by the governed

c: activity or movement designed to effect fundamental changes in the socioeconomic situation

d: a fundamental change in the way of thinking about or visualizing something : a change of paradigm <the Copernican revolution>

e: a changeover in use or preference especially in technology <the computer revolution> <the foreign car revolution>

I will most likely be referring to A and B

[highlight]Some choices for topics I have thought of[/highlight]

- The American Revolution

- The French Revolution

- The Cuban Revolution (Che Guevara)

Basically, i'm looking for any other suggestions on some other revolutions that might be good topics to choose.

Any help would be appreciated and Thanks in advance

Re: OT: Help Me Pick A Topic For A School Paper

general revolutions i can think of from the top of my head barring the ones you chose:

1.) Chinese Communist Revolution (overthrow of the Nationalist government)

2.) Chinese Nationalist Revolution (overthrow of the Qing dynasty)

3.) Spanish Revolution

4.) German Revolution (closely linked to the French one, so skip zat, i guess :p)

5.) The October Revolution (overthrow of the Russian imperialists and establishment of Leninism in the world) (i consider this a very interesting revolution *bias, :)*)

of those five i can only go into close detail about the chinese ones, i guess if you're interested...

For now, I only need suggestions (no need to go into detail as I will probably read about the other suggestions myself)

I am definitely interested in writing this because I believe that

When Change is necessary due to something or someone becoming crazy, ridiculous, unfair to the majority a revolution is sometimes warranted. Obviously it may become violent and there will be Casualties, but history has shown that these things happen sometimes, in every imaginable place.

How about something that isn't a war?

Industrial Revolution
Neolithic Revolution (13000 years ago)
Green Revolution
Counter Culture of the 60's
Sexual Revolution
Digital Revolution
Behavioural Modernity

Just to name a few...

Think outside of the box. Every classmate will be writing about wars.

edit:

When Change is necessary due to something or someone becoming crazy, ridiculous, unfair to the majority a revolution is sometimes warranted. Obviously it may become violent and there will be Casualties, but history has shown that these things happen sometimes, in every imaginable place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah thank you for the suggestions sorcererbob, but I am limited to choosing topics that have to do with overthrowing a government.

Sorry I wasn't more specific. Otherwise I would have enjoyed writing about most of the topics you listed (some more than others ;))

You may also want to see Velvet Revolution - the end of communism in CSSR (Czechoslovakia) in 89. It perfectly ilustrates the ability (and inevitability) of dictatorship to defeat itself from within, so people can beat it just with flowers eventually.

P.S. Posting in epic thread.

Would the creation if Israel be suitable? I've always been rather interested in Golda Meir. Absolutely fascinating lady and an interesting time with issues still relevent today.

Ah, I never heard of her before. She seems like a very interesting woman to write about.

You may also want to see Velvet Revolution - the end of communism in CSSR (Czechoslovakia) in 89. It perfectly ilustrates the ability (and inevitability) of dictatorship to defeat itself from within, so people can beat it just with flowers eventually.

P.S. Posting in epic thread.

That shares a striking similarity with the Portuguese revolution of 1974: Carnation Revolution.

- The Cuban Revolution!!
- You even wrote it itself, give it a try ;) uh, no, wait! Not CheGe but Castro, also known as ''El Fidel''!! This is essentially the same thing from a different view...

The Velvet Revolution and the Carnation Revolution...Those sound to peaceful to be revolutions...:D

If I had such an excuse, I'd read up more about the situation in Columbia with the FARC. Though I'm not sure a rebellion is what you're looking for.

If so, the Tamil rebellion that was ended very recently might be good; actual, as well.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High