Suggestions for my ironman throw barb.

stillman

May 24, 2008
Suggestions for my ironman throw barb.

Hi everyone.

I'm building a PvM only barb just for fun and to try out some ideas I had. I normally only play glass cannon bowazons, but the lure of the barb's OP'd passives got me interested in making a throw barb based on bowazon principles. The barb has increased speed and natural ressit which give him so much freedom, I just had to try this.

Note that the following is not at all what you would expect for a barb build! He has no warcries whatsoever, for example. He also will have low life just like a glass cannon bowazon. Here is the plan:

-max out double throw, double swing for the damage synergy, and throwing mastery.
-max out increased speed (I know, I am crazy, but I want run/walk speed to be insane on this build. I am so bored and impatient with the game now that I want to fly through town in the quickest possible time. The goal might even be to reech the highest walk/run speed breakpoint without using frenzy).
-Most likely max out natural resist (I know, I am wasting points like crazy, but I LOVE passives.)

So maxing out these 5 uses up 100 points and I plan to go to about lev 88-90 to max them. The neat thing about this barb is he has no bo. I hate warcries because I don't like being interupted and having to rebuff all the time. I'd rather just max out passives. I am used to playing a zon with not a single point into vitality, so I don't feel like I need double health all the time from bo. Plus, I hate old cookie cutter bo, and I refuse to use it-end of story.

For stats, I am again borrowing the glass cannon principle of going for damage. Each level I put 4 points into str and only one point into vit. The only reason I put anything in vit at all is because the 4 life he gets per vit point is so useful for so few points. Too irresistable I guess. Also, I don't want him to be quite as frail as my bowazon.

Gear: This is where I need you suggestions.

Below is my journey so far with this build. To comment on what gear you suggest would help me reach the highest breakpoint for fastest possible run/walk, you can skip my progress story which ends at the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

My progress so far (for those who like a good story):

So far, I have him at lev 57. Things are going fine, but man, it was REALLY annoying having to go to town so much to refill on javalins! Btw, one of my core values is to be 100% independent for every chr I make and that means NO baal runs, NO help with ancients, NO rushes, and NO begging for items or help. I did play through act 2 nm with some people on USEast, but I did not get the quests so I went back and did it in a private game anyway.

I considered giving up on him early due to Blizzard creating such small stack sizes on throwing weapons. Luckily, there were ways around this. I started goging to town every few minutes to fill most of my inventory up with javalins, but later I switched to using throwing knives which have much greater stack size. I used my old zon ways: keeping every elemental damage charm I found to help out in the early levels, and gradually weening myself off them as I needed the space.

Life was getting pretty rough and it became a constant struggle to find ways of hitting things without any dex investment. This is one of those builds who is troublesome early on, but he will shine end game FOR SURE. I saved gems and put emeralds in armor to reach the dex req for better thowing items. Later, I found that this meager dex bonus was not enough to hit stuff well, so I started using and trading for diamonds for some quick AR bonus. There was a very annoying struggle for a while, but I got lucky on my normal forge and got 2 good diamonds (flawless).

Things started to suck pretty bad when I got my nm might merc. He would keep getting killed at the first mob. I got him some better gear and it seemed to help a lot, plus I had to tank for HIM for a while. We got through the tough times and now he is wearing a 3os artisan's armor with a life mod filled with 3 prubies for a total of 169 to life.

I learned I had to do a LOT of shopping to continually get higher damage throw weapons. I had high hopes for act 3 nm vendors, but they didn't have much good selection. Act 4 was a bit better, but not the damage I had hoped. I was at this point still using some throwing knife type of weapons with 'of butchery' mods on them from act 5 normal. It was discourageing doing all that work from act to act only to find one of vendors had like 1-2 throwing weapons for sale each time I visited. Finally, in act 5 nm, Malah had some really nice damage stuff. The problems have all gone away, and I'm wearing an artisan's armor with 3 perfect emeralds that also has a psn length reduction by 75% mod. My helm is just a 3os helm with 3 pdiamonds. Gems are wonderful things.

The sacrifice of having to use pgems is well worth it. At only level 57, I am getting 3-4 damage per str point I invest. This is going to really matter when I get 2 unique throw weapons later on. I really don't understand why in guides people often say to put in minimal str. Str really does add to your damage, but in slow and small ways. It takes a long term investment before you start seeing the greatness of it, just like dex with a glass cannon bowazon. Earning your damage little by little is classic role playing! It will all pay off in the end.

Of course, the challenge will be getting those 2 unique throw weapons. Sadly, I got a hel rune on my nm forge. I was hoping for a lem, pul or um so I could quickly trade it for any unique throw weapon. I will now have to wait until something nice drops. Btw, I am starting on ladder dirt poor with nothing to trade with. Plus, I like to use no mf.

So atm, I made it to nm ancients. Blizzard basically made them 'challenging' by just giving them a wad of health so I will have to spend maybe 40 minutes whittling those guys down. Running around in circles for 40 minutes repeating the same hit and run tactic is really boring, so I stoped playing there and I will have to get back to it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So my gear set up for end game is undecided except for a few ideas here. I will likely get my paws on a CoA. Why? Because I can put it on my head, that's why! This will be my first chr in many years with enough str to actually wear one. I don't think I'll go with arreats or other recomended helms that add more skill points. Like my zon, skill points just won't add much damage to this guy. His maxed out passives will only have slight gains with bonus skills.

Armor: Unknown. Probably Tyreal's for the run speed (see below).
Boots: Gores I guess.
Rings: ravenfrost and something else. If I ever get Tyreals, it has cannot be frozen so I can wear whatever rings you guys suggest.
Belt: razortail for certain.
Gloves: undecided. Maybe rends. Or, maybe I will feel urged to to wear LoH like my zon always is.
Ammy: Idk. Probably cat's eye. I can use the dex anyway since I don't have any base dex.
Weapons: What would you suggest for this guy? I am kind of leaning toward the Lacerator for amp damage 30% of hits or w/e plus the warshrike that has 50% pierce. Then there's wraith flight IIRC correctly which does more damage in general but has boring mods. It's a tough call. Any suggestions on best weapons to use?

I want cat's eye because I will be going for the fastest run speed breakpoint. Sadly, cheesfest nigma has the best run speed on armor, and I REFUSE to wear that piece of trash. It has 45 FRW. Stealth rw has 25, but I prefer Tyreals (20 FRW) for those nice mods it has.

Here are some items I researched that add to FRW:

Lev 10 vigor on a rw bow (harmony IIRC, not sure): 36
Lev 20 increased speed: 43
Cat's Eye: 30
Valkyrie Wing: 30
Blinkbat's armor: 10
Hawkmail: 10
A rare barb circlet: 30
Tyreal's Might: 20
Mav's belt: 20
Nat's/Aldur's boot: 40
Rare boots w/ highest FRW: ?? (Idk, do you guys know?)
Nigma Tard Sauce: 45 (Thanks alot Blizzard. What the hell do they need the run speed for? They are teleing around everywhere skipping 99.9% of the huge game you designed, remember?)

So, I figgure I will have to fill much of his inventory with FRW scs. A lot of the gear up there is going to be unreasonable for him. He is going to be a powerhouse doing lots of damage. The bow is out of the question, I just put it there for completeness. Valkyrie's helm; no, I want CoA instead or a rare barb helm w/ 30% frw. For boots, it will be too hard to not wear gores, and those are not 40% FRW, but close enough I guess. Mav's belt; I want to wear this so bad, it even has mana leech, but razortail is too important because of its piercing attack. Unless I go with the two warshrike uniques that have 50% pierce which I guess is good enough. And Tyreal's will be my armor...in several months IF I ever build up enough loot to trade for one.

Reminder: I am NOT using any wc, not even one point in bo. There's no need. I like to not play sloppy. I'm never dueling anyway.

So with maxed out increased speed and a whole lot of FRW scs, I plan on doing good damage in hell with this build and at the same time have the highest run speed possible (without frenzy).

I'm looking into the d2 wiki atm...I just got reminded that heavy armor reduces speed by .40 yards/sec. Hmm....maybe it'll have to be ds fort or something instead of Tyreal's. Also, there are no diminishing returns on FRW from skills, so maxing increased speed may not be such a waste of skills after all, since run speed is what I'm seeking.

Last edited:
Re: Suggestions for my ironman throw barb.

Nice, pretty original character.

Just a few thoughts:
- Does throwing damage increase with strength or dexterity? I'm not sure.
- I would have invested in Grim Ward, because this is one of the few builds where it's useful
- I don't agree with your heavy investment in (skill and equipment based) FRW, because of the diminished return.

According to Arreat Summit, the damage equation IIRC for thrown weapons matches the equation for bows/xbows except we have str to increase throw damage. It makes sense; the stronger you are the harder the throw will be. Of course, you need some AR too so you can actually hit stuff.

I never thought of grim ward. I'll read up on it. There is still time to invest points differently.

According to the d2 wiki, there doesn't appear to be a maximum FRW speed. I think I will try for 11.11 yards/sec. I tried a walk run speed calcualtor, and I should be able to reach that speed with Tyreal's, cat's eye, maxed increased speed skill, and 30 small charms of inertia.

here is the info on run/walk speed. It's a bit complicated but this is how it works:
- frw from skills is linear, i.e. no diminished returns. So you can follow the stats in the arreat summit (which do have diminished returns)
- frw from equipment has diminished returns. After you reach about 80% the increased speed by adding more FRW is minor.

My suggestion is:
- go for about lvl 10-15 (with bonuses) Increased Speed; after that each point only gives you 1% extra.
- go for about 80% FRW on your equipment

This should allow you to select some better equipment. I think this is important to make your character work.

On Grim Ward: it's not a requirement, but it's one of those skills that you never use. So if you have the opportunity ...

Last edited:

There is also 40% FR/W on Trangs Armor:wink:
Good Luck with it;)

kk just like to point out u said dat you were going for a "glass-cannon" barb like an amazon doesnt dat mean you put EVERY stat point in dex???
you were saying you put 4str and 1 vit at every lvl dats sounds like a semi(demi?)-titan

just wondering i know its just a small point :p (iam half cut atm so dont kill me lol)

i hav hav a thrower barb myself (reat fun) but i find him very item dependant(cnt spell)
so he kills slowly in hell :(

Yes, I suppose 'titan' is the more appropriate term. I'm so used to playing zons however, that I just figgured I'm using the glass cannon principle of sacrificing a lot of life for damage.

Update on the journey:

So now I got my throwbarb to lev 70. With zero mf, literally only one tradable item besides gems has dropped. It was heaven's light. I made a game offering it for a lacerator. Instead, a guy showed up and traded me gaze for it. I took the gaze because it si way more famous than heaven's light. Then, I traded the gaze for a lacerator, and the guy came back and gave me a second lacerator perhaps due to my good manners. He also gave me a nos for free.

Then, I traded 3 pgems for a pemerald and I was lucky enough to have a tal rune which another guy needed so I got another pemerald from that guy. I then had 4 pemeralds and put them into 4os armor. I also put on all the dex charms I had saved from day 1, and I traded my nos for a plain 20 dex ring. All this just to wear the lacertors!! Remember: I have no dex investment.

Things really turned around after getting the lacerators. I'm just realizing that I spent my 3 days off work trying to get this chr hell viable. He is now able to do barely well enough. Lacerator is very nice because it has 33% chance to cast amplify damage on strikes. And we all know how nice amplify damage is. But Blizzard also gave lacerator 50% chance to cause flee which removes the amp dam curse. It is a bit akward. Idk if I'll switch later or what. I like to have control over what happens, and monsters losing their amp curse is wierd. Also, it's hard to hit them sometimes when they run away since throwing axes have limited range.

I may go with ghost glaive just to get the most damage, idk. I find the str investment helps a whole lot. With the lacerators and might merc he does almost 4k, and there is still so much more potential damage to get if he were to have fort, a jeweled helm, merc pride, all that nice stuff.

Last edited:

stillman, mop up in the Pits. You will get nice open socket items you can trade with, with 0 mf. Still all good for getting a pair of Lacers. Use a Lacer and a 450 ed Ghost Glaive if you find fleeing a bit much.

I use my thrower now for simulating Obama campaign rallies (i.e. gfing Hell Travincal), swapping Ali Babas.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High