Martial Artist Assassin Queries

Kyo

Jun 27, 2003
Martial Artist Assassin Queries

Hi

I am a long time player that has just started playing again recently. I must admit Assassin class was one of the few characters i never really tried or have much experience about. :scratchhead:

So i thought i would try my hand in a MA assassin. I was pleasantly surprised :shocked: of how much fun she is play and not to mention, pretty decent with minimal gear.

A few queries - My builds a Tiger Strike/ Dragon Tail. Full MA assassin (no traps) that totally focuses on MA tree.

1. I know speed is the Essence of for a MA assassin. Should i be running or walking even with BoS and other increased speed gear. Would i not be halving my defense if i run. So what do most MA sins do?

2. I pretty much chewed my way through act 1 - 3 in normal, taking apart bosses easily. However Diablo was a real pain, i could slow him down with mods like cold etc but as soon as he uses his Lightning hose I am toast. What the best strategy or tips against him and is there anything obvious that i am missing out. Perhaps standing toe to toe with him is not the best strategy but i cannot think of any way to get near him for a MA.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Kyo

Re: Martial Artist Assassin Queries

"Pure" MA is great, but of course you need to put a point in shadow skills like CoS (essential!) for support and to help you later in the game. BoS is awesome for running around, but you're right to walk when enemies are around. Actually, I think that if you're dual claw, Weapon Block only works if you're attacking or standing still. So then running would be better than walking, unless you're using a shield. What will you use for a backup skill to TS/DTail? I'd advise CoT for PIs, PS synergizes it nicely if you have the points to spare. Don't forget to cast CoS when you encounter monsters, it stops them in their tracks and makes them easier to hit. Most people also swear by Mind Blast, but I find it annoying. Same with Shadow Master. I assume you've already read some MA guides, but remember that your build is all about kick dmg, so go for those upped Gore Riders later.

Toe-to-toe is the way to go against Diablo for melee characters, you only take minimal damage from his lightning hose that way (It only singes your hair). Watch out for his firestorm attack though, that can hurt. You will need maxed lightning and fire resists against him, and be prepared to whiff a lot. Potions and patience I guess, but with good gear I never had trouble taking him down quickly with a 'sin.

i'd also suggest at least one point into Death Sentry.

corpse explo is great for clearing out areas.

Toe-to-toe is the way to go against Diablo for melee characters, you only take minimal damage from his lightning hose that way (It only singes your hair).[/quote[
This is only true for NM and Hell. In Normal mode he's lightning hose starts at a shorter range.

Kyo said:
2. I pretty much chewed my way through act 1 - 3 in normal, taking apart bosses easily. However Diablo was a real pain, i could slow him down with mods like cold etc but as soon as he uses his Lightning hose I am toast. What the best strategy or tips against him and is there anything obvious that i am missing out. Perhaps standing toe to toe with him is not the best strategy but i cannot think of any way to get near him for a MA.
Diablo in Normal mode is probably the hardest boss in the game for melee characters. You really need to run side-ways from his hose when he starts firing it (you should be able to recognize the start of the animation after a while). Alternatively you can try to chip his life away with Blade Fury or a bow. Getting maxed fire and lightning resists will help a lot too of course.

"Pure" MA is great, but of course you need to put a point in shadow skills like CoS (essential!) for support and to help you later in the game. BoS is awesome for running around, but you're right to walk when enemies are around. Actually, I think that if you're dual claw, Weapon Block only works if you're attacking or standing still. So then running would be better than walking, unless you're using a shield. What will you use for a backup skill to TS/DTail? I'd advise CoT for PIs, PS synergizes it nicely if you have the points to spare. Don't forget to cast CoS when you encounter monsters, it stops them in their tracks and makes them easier to hit. Most people also swear by Mind Blast, but I find it annoying. Same with Shadow Master. I assume you've already read some MA guides, but remember that your build is all about kick dmg, so go for those upped Gore Riders later.

Toe-to-toe is the way to go against Diablo for melee characters, you only take minimal damage from his lightning hose that way (It only singes your hair). Watch out for his firestorm attack though, that can hurt. You will need maxed lightning and fire resists against him, and be prepared to whiff a lot. Potions and patience I guess, but with good gear I never had trouble taking him down quickly with a 'sin.

Thanks Dry that some really useful info. I eventually did get past him before writing this thread but wanted to know if i should be expecting the same dozen or so deaths to beat himm come NM and Hell. I will put my hand up and admit my mistake forleaving out max resistance against him. (lightning hose - is the huge pink flame that he throws out right?) Your spot on PS and subsequent Synergy for backup skills. I have dual Claws and i have basically adapting bits from Wildjenn's guide. Thanks again.

i'd also suggest at least one point into Death Sentry.

corpse explo is great for clearing out areas.
Thanks for the suggestion but I will not be investing any points in the traps as i don't want rely on them at all. I have no problems clearing out areas so cheers anyway.

Diablo in Normal mode is probably the hardest boss in the game for melee characters. You really need to run side-ways from his hose when he starts firing it (you should be able to recognize the start of the animation after a while). Alternatively you can try to chip his life away with Blade Fury or a bow. Getting maxed fire and lightning resists will help a lot too of course.

So it should be easier against him in NM and hell? Not quite following how that going to work out ? Like i mentioned above it took him too lightly and should have thought of that as i totally diregarded resist. Ok Thanks for the tips Cheers.

Feel free to add anything that i have missed out. thanks for reading.

So it should be easier against him in NM and hell? Not quite following how that going to work out ?
In NM and Hell his lightning hose starts at a further range from him. If you 'hug' Diablo then the hose actually won't hit you as it will start behind you.

In NM and Hell his lightning hose starts at a further range from him. If you 'hug' Diablo then the hose actually won't hit you as it will start behind you.

Ah i see :D

Not only that but once you get to NM and hell diablo, your build is well underway and your actually able to use items not the garbage they sell in stores :) Normal is always a pain especially if your main skills start at level 24 or 30 ie if your going pheonix strike\

Edit: Didn't know about the hose starting firther in hell... explains why I take absolutly no damage from diablo with kicksin. I run him every now and then for the hell of it :)

Not only that but the respective level of Diablo in Normal is a lot higher than most players when they reach him, than in later modes. Melee characters suffer a penalty to hit with this deficiency.

(This is as I understand it, at least.)

Just out of curiosity, what is your build / gear? as i've just started a kicker, and all the guides i find tend to hybridise them to some extend. Whilst i have gone into the trap tree just for 1 point in DS i'm hoping to go full MA with the remaining points, but not quite sure what skills to take/max. Atm i;ve got 1 in all of them, just to see what they do and how they feel, but another pov would be nice. :D

shanks

Even with just one point and +skills, many of the shadow tree skills are essential to a MA 'sin. A minimal investment in Fade, BoS, WB, CoS, SW, SM, and MB (not for me) can all really help out MA builds. This will still leave plenty of points to max what you like in the MA tree.

Just out of curiosity, what is your build / gear? as i've just started a kicker, and all the guides i find tend to hybridise them to some extend. Whilst i have gone into the trap tree just for 1 point in DS i'm hoping to go full MA with the remaining points, but not quite sure what skills to take/max. Atm i;ve got 1 in all of them, just to see what they do and how they feel, but another pov would be nice. :D

shanks

Shank - i would definitely recommend reading Wildjinn's Striking Tiger Lashing Dragon Guide. It is a excellent source for a pure MA. It utilises ones of the most powerful MA skills. Where you can inflict up to 25K a kick(plus splash) on full charge not to mention adding on additonal charges like hp/mana leech and PS charges to follow!!. It a whole lot of hurt for the mobs when mastered. I was really surprised how fun and affective it is to play. Highly recommend it. I personally opted not to rely on traps at all as i have no problems with mobs. With proper use of CoS and MB this allows you to take groups apart at leisure.

As for your 1 point query that guide will also outline an answer. I did get MB but left out fade but it entirely up to you.

Hope that helps

Kyo

Last edited:

I feel fade is a waste! It slows you down to a crawl. I use Treachery which has fade + 45% IAS + 2 to all skills + .... I could go on..... its awesome! My fav sin armour other than the impossible to get hi runewords!

I feel fade is a waste! It slows you down to a crawl. I use Treachery which has fade + 45% IAS + 2 to all skills + .... I could go on..... its awesome! My fav sin armour other than the impossible to get hi runewords!
Treachery's fine if you don't have the skills left for fade or have the IAS to support fade. Fade really isn't too slow, but makes you SOOO much safer.

Well, yes, you are correct. I can use BoS when I need to run around & attack a small group fast. if I jump into a large pack, I know fade will trigger w/o me having to waste time switching skills.

I also use CoS, MB, & DS in large packs. PLUS a good lvl SM & a town guard with Reaper's toll/vamp gaze. I sometimes allow my townie to get hit by archers while wearing treachery to trigger fade, then switch armours on him & he is good to go!

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634212.. check this out, it's a variation on Winjin's guide. I played both in SP (where I could adjust skills and gear at will) and I can tell you once you hit hell 4th and 5th acts with IM mages and Baal's minions Maiku's build has much easier time having a ranged attack with DS. Just my two cents.

You must upload an image to an image hosting website in order to show a screenshot.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High