Gear and Leveling Help

Anthro Emesis

Jul 16, 2008
Gear and Leveling Help

I'm currently level 29 Barb. I made it to Diablo but was unable to defeat him so I'm trying to get better gear and level up some before the fight.

I'm currently running Mephisto in order to get gear. Is this a good spot or should I try somewhere else?

I apologize if I'm not using the proper terminology, I'm still learning this game and slang.

Thanks.

Re: Gear and Leveling Help

If you can easily kill Mephisto then he's as good a place as any to find some early gear and you should be still getting a bit of experience.

Try and get high fire and lightning resist against Diablo since that's his two strongest attacks.

Also MDR is very useful and if you can get around 10 total it can eliminate a fair chunk of his elemental damage.

Leech will help out too. If you can get a combination of those things you should be able to take him.

If you list your skills and current gear it might help with some more advice.

Best of luck, Diablo can be a tough cookie.

Shame that, even after the expansion came out, Diablo is STILL the toughest boss monster in the game--Baal doesn't even come close.

Still, getting a couple of levels and some decent equipment would help tons. Make sure you have good resists. Cold damage to slow the big red guy down helps too, and if Diablo holds his hands together in front of him, get the heck out of Dodge before he blasts you with his pink lightning attack...that one is by far the worst he's got in his arsenal.

Baal is harder for some characters imho (or maybe just annoying, because he has more life)

EDIT: On topic - try to shop for wand of lifetap from Malah and use the Lifetap charges on him and tank him. If you can survive his firestorm and lightning hose, you will kill him easily.

Hrus - He has to beat Diablo to get to Malah. ;)

Also, list your char stats and resists. That way, we can actually tell what specific stats could be improved. Otherwise, we're mostly guessing at why you have trouble, whether it be his lightning hose, fire, or your damage.

Other than that, the stats Dodgydave used are good to look out for. In addition, attributes like Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike can help. A good source of CB is on the runeword Strength (Amn+Tir) in a two socket weapon. I've also heard the runeword Black is also good.

It pretty much boils down to:

1) bring lots of health potions, use portal scrolls to restock
2) when he's about to cast the firestorm (he'll lower his claws palms-up), get out of there
3) when he starts casting the lightning inferno, run circles around him and pop a health potion, he often uses the inferno twice or more in a row
4) dodge in and out to land 1-2 hits, it'll take a while
5) leap attack out of the bone prisons
6) make sure player setting is at 1

You're not going to be overpowering him any time soon with a melee character and with no twinking. He's definitely far easier on a sorceress. :p

Also: Using whirlwind will probably get you fried by the inferno if you're not that experienced with using it, so avoid doing that.

Shame that, even after the expansion came out, Diablo is STILL the toughest boss monster in the game--Baal doesn't even come close.

Still, getting a couple of levels and some decent equipment would help tons. Make sure you have good resists. Cold damage to slow the big red guy down helps too, and if Diablo holds his hands together in front of him, get the heck out of Dodge before he blasts you with his pink lightning attack...that one is by far the worst he's got in his arsenal.

IMO Hell baal is far harder than hell diablo. Manaburn + teleport + insane life + duplicate can lead to pain while if you have decent fire resists hell diablo is pretty much a breeze

I'm currently level 29 Barb. I made it to Diablo but was unable to defeat him so I'm trying to get better gear and level up some before the fight.

I'm currently running Mephisto in order to get gear. Is this a good spot or should I try somewhere else?

I apologize if I'm not using the proper terminology, I'm still learning this game and slang.

Thanks.

I've been running Hell Diablo recently and I have noticed that if you are extremely close to Diablo ie touching range, when he uses his deadly lightning attack, it "starts" pass me and doesn't even damage me or my merc

I've been running Hell Diablo recently and I have noticed that if you are extremely close to Diablo ie touching range, when he uses his deadly lightning attack, it "starts" pass me and doesn't even damage me or my merc

Unfortunately, that trick only works on hell (and nightmare?) Diablo.

Unfortunately, that trick only works on hell (and nightmare?) Diablo.

Yep, works with NM Big D too, you've just got to be a little closer.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on normal Diablo, that's why I find him and normal Duriel the two toughest bosses in the game when you have to consider the level/gear you have available when you face them.

Also if you want to shop a wand of life tap try Ormus in act 3 (Should be able to get one there.)

Get act 3 cold merc to help with diablo, slow really helps, make 2 coral rings(one of horadric cube recipes, forgot the cube recipe but they are cheap to make), get some cheap armor from shop that adds 20 - 30 lightning res from one or 2 parts, and get 30/20 tower shield, very cheap set up i used on my barb, you should have 75 light res and 75% block with 80 - 81 dex at lvl 30, with this set up u can run diablo in ''/players 8'' mode till you are lvl 37 - 45, you will get a fair share of loot aswel from that, but do this only if you are going for max block build otherwise u wont need the dex and you would have wasted stat points, don't forget to add agi as you lvl up to keep the max block, with this and act 3 ice merc slow you can solo diablo without runing from him only using few hp pots per fight.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High