H-din Armor Q

Oct 11, 2007
H-din Armor Q

Ive read quite a few of the Hammerdin posts, and the only gear thing im a little confused on is the armor. Some people say viper works well, others say Enigma(bnet/rich LK ppl haha) and maybe even a duress. I was curious if the skin would be better than those cuz of the +skill and cast, or the duress for D and resist/other usefull mods. Ive even got Griswold's heart to consider, that major D, +STR , and 2 to D auras is tempting....

So im basically asking for your guys opinion on this .
Thanks in advance :)

enigma n00b 1!!!!!1!!!11!!one

Other than that, vipermagi, definitely IMO. Only other thing I'd even consider would be skullders if you're going for high MF, but that's assuming you can get a strong FCR breakpoint without vipermagi. NFC why you'd want to use duress (though apparently there's a reason). Griz' heart could be good if you need a lot of life (prubies in the sockets), or if you have something else good to put in the sockets (though I don't think +2 to def auras will help in the slightest), but really, just go with vipermagi or skullders.

edit: alright, now I feel the need to actually address duress. From your post and my memory of the mods, you'd be using duress defensively. Please keep in mind that paladins have access to excellent shields with inherent +res modifiers, and that you'll likely have at least one point in holy shield. Also, vipermagi has it's own +res. Duress is good for it's combat modifiers and you're playing a caster.

-CG

CG, is it me, or do you just wait for me to post a new thread with a question? Youve responded to all of mine that I know of :)

Anyways, Vipermagi it is ! But....what to do with Gris now?

I use a 3-PRuby gris armor on low level mercs sometimes (and by sometimes I mean rarely, particularly since 1.11 came out, since treachery is in the same level range, AND because treachery on higher level chars means that I have far, far more free shaftstops lying around.) Other than that, they sit in a stash.

And, I tend to refresh the forums fairly frequently when I'm sitting at work.

-CG

I really don't see any reason to use Duress in a caster character... Well, maybe except for smiting bosses, which isn't a feasible way of using the armor slot. For resist and defense, Gloom is a much better option anyway; and it even provides some crowd control!

I'd list hammerdin armors, in order of efficiency, as:
Enigma - CoH - Vipermagi/Skullders (quest/MF) - Gloom; with the first 2 being rather expensive, and the last one not really suggested.

Guardian Angel is a pretty decent armour too with it's + to max resists. Haven't found one in ages so can't check stats atm but doesn't it have some +skills too?

I'd use GA

Spirit + Arach + Trang + wizzy = 125 FCR, Viper is overkill. You dont even need the res but you DO need the extra max res w/o BO and tele. Not to mention you get life as well since you can save the points into dex. Only downside is high str req.

Ofc you could use HoZ + Viper + FCR ring too but getting a HoZ on SP is a bit tricky

skin of vipermagi gets my vote...
find a +35 res all & upped.
pray for a 1000+ defense one=)
by dumping your excess skill points and defiance merc, you'll have a nice defense rating for a caster=)

Personally I'd use GA+Spirit over Viper+HoZ. The extra resists are just too nice (effectively you can reduce elemental damage with 60%!), and Hammerdins can't really complain about a lack of damage.

I'm a fan of the Guardian Angel. Mine is socketed with an Um so I'm pretty well set for resis.

That being said, my Hammerdin wears a PT Skullder's but that's primarily because at level 93 all he does these days is run Teh Pitz.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High