Skellies v Revives

yiuman

Sep 9, 2003
Skellies v Revives

I'm sure that this has been discussed to death, but I couldn't find anything using the search function so......

What are the pros and cons of skellies v revives in a straight damage (might merc, pride polearm etc). Put simply, can revives keep up with skellies in terms of damage?

In terms of damage, skeles come out on top.
In terms of health, revives come out on top.

Remember, a revived minion won't follow you well and is less likely to teleport next to your side when you move on along a passage or get too far ahead (unless you use Enigma to teleport).
Also, revived only hang aroud for 3 minutes whereas your skeles hang around until either you or they die.

Revived just don't do enough damage in Hell mode. In hell mode, monsters have LOADS of health but don't actually do that much damage. I would say that, in a 1v1 with a revived agaist a monster, the revived would win, but I'm not sure if the battle would end within three minutes.

Revives just can't keep up with skeles. In fact, they're only useful as Meatshields and I prefer a Clay Golem and Skele Magi for those (at least the Magi do some damage). Magi also tend to stay closer to you, so any enemies coming from behind will fight the Magi instead of you.

Another advantage that revives have over skeles is that urdars and monsters of that tree all have crushing blow, which is essential against the ubers.

Another advantage that revives have over skeles is that urdars and monsters of that tree all have crushing blow, which is essential against the ubers.

Ah yes! Some monsters (especially the above mentioned) do have a very useful attack which you may want to exploit.

Thanks. I'd just read the corrupted televangelist guide which was singing the praises of revives and wondered if they could take the place of skellies in a fishymancer, which would be cool. I might just do it anyway, for the style value.

I could always have an Edge bow on switch for tough situations.

Hello dudes,

First off, Skeletons speak for themselves, and are permanent. Plus, If you already have 20 points into Skeleton Mastery, (which most Necromancer builds require) then you have already fully synergized your Revives anyhow.

Second, although it is purely a matter of personal play style, I find Revives to be one of the most entertaining aspects in the Necromancer's arsenal. There are so many cool monsters to use, in reality (or Sanctuary for that matter) the skill is only limited by your ability to plan ahead. One thing I enjoy when running Andariel, is killing a few groups of Blood Lords (I think that is what they are called) which have Fireball and Meteor type spells. Once I have enough Blood Lord corpses around simply Revive them all at once. It is like another entire legion of all fire skeleton mages (that drop Meteors) on top of whatever other summons you have around. Urdars are another fun option because of Crushing Blow. See a wad of Skeleton Archers? Kill them, Revive them and use Amplify Damage or Decrepify to greatly increase their effectiveness. Have a tough boss that has a buttload of minions protecting him? Kill them and turn them against their former master (Andariel for example). My personal favorite tactic is simply to Revive everything you see in order to keep the maximum number of Revives around at all times and just mob the @$*&%$ out of everything. If a few Revives fall behind or disappear, who gives a turd just Revive some more and be on your way. You will generally be leaving/ignoring Super Mana Potions all over the place anyhow, just use them instead of leaving them there to counteract your increased mana usage. I just keep one row of me belt filled with Super Mana Potions and the rest Full Rejuvination Potions. It also bears mentioning that I do not use Corpse Explosion, and as such have a lot of corpses available to use.

Finally, as for which are better, unless you are going with a Zookeeper type build (doubtful), then you should really be using both anyways. All you need to decide is if they are going to be a 1 point wonder, or if you are going to focus some of your build around them and invest more points accordingly. . .

If you did considered using Revives instead of skeles, then Thorns auras would be necessary (which means a bit of rune collecting, but not much). This means that you would be basically playing, the Corrupt Televangelist.

Remember, it is possible for a Fishymancer to take all his cloths off and still win (so long as he has a merc). This makes him ideal for MF Runs in areas such as the Pit. If you were to use Revives, then you would need some bonus auras from items.

Ok, thanks for all your help. I have a much clearer idea of revives v skellies now.

Being fully aware of their limitations, I think I'll make a zookeeper/corrupt televangelist character. I'll see how far I can take a revivomancer (only 1pt skellies, max mastery, max revives) using a might merc, and then when things get too slow/difficult I'll whack on an edge bow (and a bramble if I ever find an Ohm - dream on says I) and see how far we can go then.

I'll also see how far I can go without needing to use CE (limited use is allowed for areas that are just too frustrating otherwise but not for general play).

I've done fishymancers before, I just want to do something different. On a similar style related note, which helms/armors are coloured black? It'd be nice to be the black army.

A very simplistic view of skels vs. revives is:

* Skels do alot more damage, and never disappear (with maxed mastery and skels, preferred on most builds).
* Revives do less damage (don't expect them to clear areas fast), have time limit, and disappear (preferred on hybrid builds as 1-20 points in mastery and 1 in revive do the trick).

Revives are practically indestructible though. They won't kill alot but nothing really kills them (other than the 3-minute time limit). They are the ultimate meatshields. You MUST have enigma for teleport if you plan on using revives alot. Otherwise, they won't follow you running an you will lose them (unlike skels that always follow).

unlike skels that always follow

I do lose some skeles when I move away too fast or if they get trapped. Skeles only have a very high probability to teleport back to your side when you run off too far. Revives have a much lower chance of doing that. Plus revives tend not to even try following you, skeles do.

Using Enigma or any form of Teleport does remove that issue.

Slightly off topic.

My favorite thing to do with revives is to get as many as possible right before I go back to town. This forces them to watch me shop for the final 3 minutes of their revived lives and they just drop dead at various places around town.

That will teach them to try and kill me.

Augh, a shopping spree. I feel pity for your revives, never liked window shopping either and they even don't have a choice. Now that is cruel :laugh:

If you go shopping with your revives, it doesn't extend the 3 minute timer ... but it will sure feel like it does! :grin:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High