Infinity... Self Wield or Merc it?

ScooterMcGee

Jul 14, 2006
Infinity... Self Wield or Merc it?

I had an Infinity Halber I think last ladder, which I self wielded, I can't really remember a mob that I could not break it's immunity. I had that, with Occy/Spirit on switch. While the dmg went up(character screen) along with FCR I also remember the mobs droppin' slower when usin' Occy/Spirit.

Now my question is, while I did like the dmg and not havin' immunes(I was pure light sorc), i wasn't a fan of the slower casts(im sure i could fix with different gear setup but not the point) and the drop in some other stats/skills/etc. And prolly the biggest annoyance was the tele into and wait for the aura to actually affect the mobs, a second to quite a few seconds depending on b.net delay.

If I put infinity on a merc, would I be ok. I mean I'm assuming I would find some immunes that didn't break, but would I have any problems in my normal MF game mobs or even solo Hell for that matter.

I really liked the idea that I could pretty much kill what I wanted when I wanted with a Pure 1 Tree sorc, I just wasn't a fan of losin' a shield, or usin' a PA.

Oh and I do realize it will prolly be a long *** while before I can even get the runes for it this ladder, I was just wonderin' since I kinda start stockin' gear for certain toons in advance. Which also made me wonder, if I had infinity on a merc, used Griff and hell even a Crescent Moon Crystal sword, wouldn't that give me near the -res that infinity flat out gave me. That way I can still rock a shield, or would just griff with merc infinity be fine and help me break most?

well i'm sure a lot more knowing people will post but here's my 2 cents

as far as i understand the -emy light res (apart from conviction) is only for the holder

but - when gear becomes available, and you want to hold an infinity - this build is great! i have one that just went nl and i can't wait to build a new one!

McCain´s Blue Sorc in 1.11
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537385

as far as i understand the -emy light res (apart from conviction) is only for the holder

Ya that's what I was under the impression also, which is why I wonder'd if I had Infinity on merc got the benefit from Convict. then on my sorc had Griff and/or Crescent moon, or 5/5 Light Facets on different gear. And reached the same -res that I woulda got straight with infinity but through Griff/Facets/CMoon/etc.

I would believe that too be the same, right? I really don't see how it wouldn't be. I mean, for example(I don't have Arreat Summit open so these are made up stats). Say Infinity gave me -50 Light Res, wouldnt that be equal to say Griff -15(? again just a made up number don't have it memorized or summit open) and Cmoon -35(again made up #). That would be -50 Light Res, and I would still get Convict off my merc. Isn't that identical to self wielding Infinity? In concept, obviously I'm not holding it. But I think you guys get my point.

Also on a sidenote, If my merc was usin' Infinity, would a Dream Helm be a decent helm to use on him for some added Lightning Dmg? I was thinkin' it might be decent, then I do realize I would have to get some LifeLeech for him somehow on some armor.

Thanks for the help.

Edit... This is for pure PvM just so there wasn't any confusion.

I'm no expert to be sure, but I think infinity does cut through light immunes when held by the merc, doesn't it? Seems like I remember that normally light immunes no longer display their light immune title when you attack them if your merc has infinity? Doesn't that mean it's working on them (and thus for your sorc). Is there a distance issue here? I.e. the merc has to be close enough to the mosters to affect them?

*Found the ultimate discussion. As usual ^_^, in the stickies: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500685

Last edited:
wow so there's a full conversation for it...

the build i suggested is based more around crackign immunities (and i mean almost all) then the insane damage a regular light sorc does

i built one, and i achieved a -100 emy light res, before the convition arua

infinity -55
griff -25 (20% light damage bonus)
ormus -5 (20% light bonus)

which means i miscalculated somewhere... only -75 hmmmm but then you add the lvl 12 conviction aura..

also if you toss a dream on him use a coh for the life leach (imho, that's what my trapper merc uses)

this is a pvm thing for me as well, with that build i fell in love with my res is under in all but psn, tho i have the 40+es to absorb 95%

personally i like to hold it, and i don't see myself making a pure light damage sorc... i'm more pvm anyways

gez that's a crazy thread that fahartle posted tho...

If your hardcore, I'd suggest you hold it.. One cant loot the merc and Ber's are rediculous to replace

I've rebuilt my pure lightsorc a number of times and found myself to like the infinity on merc, tals* set, non-es build much to my liking. Problem with this one was running out of mana after a while. With cta and phoenix on switch she however fixes this problem splendidly.

The infinity on self builds have one thing in common, lack of fcr from weapon/shield. This means you have to sacrifice almost all other gear for fcr, not the best choise if you're looking to mf with her.

Infinity on self will cut broken immunes better then the infinity on merc builds, however for non immunes it's less important.

tals*: tals bonus includes a -15% light res bonus, and can hold 3 facets. AKA potentially -30% res, which is enught to kill those with broken immunes.

Immune breaking is strictly associated with the Conviction aura. It does not matter if the merc holds it or if you self-wield. However, the -45 to 55% to lightning resists only applies when self-wielding. IMO you are much better off with the merc wielding it because you could be using a perf socketed Eschuta and Spirit for +5 levels, +75% FCR, +25% damage, mana, life, and resists.

Immune breaking is strictly associated with the Conviction aura. It does not matter if the merc holds it or if you self-wield. However, the -45 to 55% to lightning resists only applies when self-wielding. IMO you are much better off with the merc wielding it because you could be using a perf socketed Eschuta and Spirit for +5 levels, +75% FCR, +25% damage, mana, life, and resists.

That's what I assumed but wasn't 100% since some of these "hidden rules." My last question I had was I found a monarch and made the spirit as I'm preplannin' my sorc, how would you guys go about doin' his Str while leveling?

I'm assumin' that Max Block is outta the question, nor do i really wanna mess with it. How many hard in Str? Or do you all do charms/gear? 2/3 Str/Vita lvling? I figure with maybe a crafted ammy/ring I could pull out around 30-35 str with some luck. I already crafted a FCR ammy with some skills and 15 str. But I don't wanna have my whole inventory full of Str charms. Any thoughts would be great, oh and I have looked at alot of the guides, and have already built a pure light sorc a few times. Just wonderin' how others usually go about it. Last time I think i went 2/3 up to around 110 with rest in vita.

if ur teleing around, spirit/hoto is the way to go, then do a quick weapon switch to hand held infinity for boss killing or hordes..the loss of fcr doesn't matter because ur killing everything anyhow's.

I'd just use a lidless or other shield while leveling. It's really hard to make up for the 30 to 40 strength that you'll get from an average or better anni and torch. 100 strength is a pretty good "hard" target. You can get the rest off a torch, anni, FCR rings/ammy with +strength, and charm second mods.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High