Has anyone.....

Basicbhoy

May 7, 2006
Has anyone.....

tried to make a staff based barb?

I was watching Robin Hood and thought of Little John. A barb with a staff???

Hmmm. Would be pretty hard I reckon due to the dmg factor and you would need a brilliant merc to back you up but I was just curious. If noone has done it, maybe I'll try.

tried to make a staff based barb?

I was watching Robin Hood and thought of Little John. A barb with a staff???

Hmmm. Would be pretty hard I reckon due to the dmg factor and you would need a brilliant merc to back you up but I was just curious. If noone has done it, maybe I'll try.

Meh, there is one staff that pwns a lot of other weapons.

Ribcracker
Stalagmite
'Shael'
Two-Hand Damage: 309 to 464
Durability: 109 of 130
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 63
Required Level: 56
Staff Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x9c0a9f13
+15 to Dexterity
+100% Enhanced Defense
+273% Enhanced Damage
+30 to Minimum Damage
+65 to Maximum Damage
+100 Defense
+100 Maximum Durability
Required Level +7
70% Increased Attack Speed
50% Faster Hit Recovery
150% Damage to Undead
50% Chance of Crushing Blow
Socketed (1: 1 used)

So a staffbarb is completely doable.

-Jae

Yeah, I had one drop from meph and was thinking of that. Bit of help needed tho with stats/skills as i dont normally play barbs.

Leap Attack would be used here I would think, unless of course you can Frenzy/WW with a staff.

Dragonlover

Leap Attack would be used here I would think, unless of course you can Frenzy/WW with a staff.

Dragonlover

mostly used on WW barbs. Frenzy needs two weapons afaik. Berserker should also do fine. Note that a staff is a mace-class weapon as far as masteries are concerned. So WW, Mace mastery and the various warcries and you have one viable barb. Or you could go the berserker route.

The mighty fine ribcracker gives every class the option of a staffbuild :laugh:

I built a barb who used a leafstaff (well until I could get a hold of 2 hexfires).

Damage wise rib cracker is nice but there are some other really strong staves out there, let alone cruel staves or runeword staves.

Definitely mace class for your masteries and WW is probably your choice skill staffs have a fairly decent range on them (not quite spear range but decent) which means they hit wider swipes with WW. Frenzy requires 2 weapons.

Though I think a mace mastery bezerker would be really cool for a staff barb.

The mighty fine ribcracker gives every class the option of a staffbuild :laugh:

I think Nightfish has a Guardian septavirate that used Ribcrackers. I don't recall the barb-build though.

Don't forget that 'Insight' can get a very nice damage bonus too. Elite sorc staves have a very high average damage (especially considering their stat requirements). With the insane mana regeneration you could make a 2-H berzerker barb and not worry about the lack of mana leech.

Naj's Puzzler has pretty high damage too, but unfortunately it's not very fast (nor does it have all the great melee bonuses of the Ribcracker). It wouldn't work so well with Whirlwind because you can't use off-weapon IAS. But imagine, a Barb using full Naj's... you get a lot of FCR so you could maybe go for a Berserker with warcries. Plus you get teleport!

Also the other problem with Naj's is the level requirement of the staff... 78! Totally crazy.

On a different note, I remember someone on one of the B.net forums talking about wanting to make an eBotD Archon Staff.

I had an ironbarb that used upped Ribby as one of his weapons.

Think off the top of his head the weapon switch was Stormlash/Stormshield. Very nice to be able to just stand in the centre of Lister' mod and tank!

mace mastery as stated prolly does apply to staves but runewords are a different story....says it on arreat summit their own site.

blunt weapons or something it said doesn't work with melee only weapons
(i could be wrong on this)

I should learn to read.

You are totally right Chaos, what I didn't bother to read stated that Staves count as blunt weapons, and those do not count as melee for some strange reason.
However, "Weapons" recipes still work with staves.

Old trivia: if you intend to up that Ribby, use a Shael, not an IAS j00l. Stalagmite is just a bit slower, and you need that last 5% to get your Whirlwind on.

-GG

For high physical damage on a staff (why else would you use one on a barb, anyway?), your options are limited to the Ribcracker, and runewords, the most significant of which is Insight. Staves cannot get the top damage mods like Cruel.

Their range is also pretty low, only 2. Then again, that's what the almighty IK Stone Crusher has...

My suggested barb builds would be Berserker, Concentrate-barb and WW-barb, in that order. (You can reach ridiculous defense with a Ribcracker-using-Concentrator, but Concentrate barbs are pretty boring no matter what :undecided:) Nightfish's guardian was a Zerker, which, IIRC, was immortalized with a piece of art from the SPF fan artist whose name I cannot recall.

Trivia: *winks at GG*
  • Many people here are especially fond of the "thwack" sound staves make when hitting something.
  • The word for the weapon has to spellings: staff and stave, both in singular. Funnily, the forum software doesn't recognize the plural form of the latter.

"Staves cannot get the top damage mods like Cruel."

I forgot about that :(

Also lost my bookmark for affixes available to which items. I do remember that elemental damage affixes are more prevalent on staves than other weapon classes.

I started Little_John last night as a staffzerker (only got through the first few quests not even through act 1, got to level 12~13). I will play it untwinked for now (more because I don't have the backlog of items I use to have).

Yes mace mastery does effect stave damage, and yes staves are quite slow on barbs, reminded me a lot of my passive barb start up.

Yeah I got thru Act 1 normal last night but was a bit twinked and am using a topaz soc'd staff so can kill quickly on p8. Finding the lack of shield disturbing as usually play palis or necros. Good fun tho

Am going to go thru the WW route again as looks like fun. Want to keep the rogue merc - cold one - as most in line. Now only if I could find one called Robyn....

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High