Is there a mod to make it harder earlier on?

ianpwilliams

Jul 26, 2006
Is there a mod to make it harder earlier on?

Is there a mod to make the single player game harder earlier on but keep it like it is later on? (I heard it's a lot harder later anyway).

Ahh, just looked that up on Google and I see it sets the game as if 8 players were playing.

So what would you recommend setting it to? 4 players for Act One maybe? And will it remember it's set like that when saving and exiting, then going back in? And can you set it back to 1 player at any time?

well alot of ppl here (my self included) play with players 8 on all the way throught normal and nightmare. but if u dont have very good twinking gear u should at least be able 2 make it thought normal on players 8 only to drop it down when u reach baal.

also u need to make an intro thread to let ppl know more about yourself,

Changing the players setting around during combat and such, or clearing areas on /players 1 and popping all the chests on /players 7 (or 8... they are equivalent for drops) is considered by most to be quite cheezy if not down right cheating. I set /players in town only at the start of play. The one exception is that I drop players to 1 before confronting the ancients.

Ok maybe I'll try players 8 all the way through then. As for me, I'm Ian in Liverpool, UK. Just bought Diablo 2 the other day having owned and then sold it many years ago. Great game, although I like the original Diablo for PS just as much :wink3: I'm also into Morrowind, all the Baldur's Gates, all the Icewind Dales, Lord of the Rings games etc. Bit of an RPG nut. Well, more of a computer game nut generally really.

I take it the ancients are the end of act bosses?

Yeah players 8 all the time except bosses sounds good to me.

dont double post theres an edit button on your posts so u can change for up 2 an hour after,
also that intro needs to be a seperate thread

ianpwilliams said:
I take it the ancients are the end of act bosses?

Nope (as you are new, better play and see for yourself)

One note though:
The players X only work on monsters that are not spawned yet. So if you are allready see/fight a tough monster, it's to late to lower the player settings.

Edit: If I am not mistaken the spawning range is about a full screen distance more as the one you see.

Randall

The ancients are met towards the end of ACT V but are not conisdered act bosses. They don't drop anything, and they can be particularly tough. The ancients in Hell Difficulty are by far the most difficult obstacle in the game.

[OT]I think 'by far' is a bit excessive. I'll agree that they're the hardest, but, on an average roll for mods, Lister and friends can give any char good run for your money. If he rolls with things like Conviction and Spectral Hit, he can surpass the Ancients, IMHO.[/OT]

I usually only keep /players 8 for Act 1, sometimes 2, depending on the early power of the build. I end lower level than everyone else, but I farm Eldritch for XP at each difficulty.

I usually leave it on 8 players for the majority of the game. In norm and NM that is. This usually allows me to enter into NM at around level 45 or so. I do have to change the player settings according to the character I'm playing with sometimes. Mainly with my hammerdin when I'm in tight cramped spaces like the maggot lair or flayer dungeon. The whole "/playerX" setting is one of the main reason I switched from bnet to single player.

ianpwilliams said:
And will it remember it's set like that when saving and exiting, then going back in?

If you only exit the game, it will remember the setting for the next game. If you exit the entire D2 application, you need to type it in next playing session.

thity-thirty said:
I'll agree that they're the hardest, but, on an average roll for mods, Lister and friends can give any char good run for your money. If he rolls with things like Conviction and Spectral Hit, he can surpass the Ancients, IMHO

Not in a millions years in my book. Reasons:

1. You have oceans of space to fight them in if you have done your homework and cleared the rest of the level. This makes it quite easy to separate them so you can fight one at a time.

2. You can take how many town breaks you like during the fight.

3. They are slow (even an extra faster Lister is easy to outrun) and stupid

4. If you don´t want to, you don´t even have to fight them.

Heck, I have killed Lister with a sorceress (not even the fighting variety sorc) by throwing Shocking Throwing Spears at him (after I hit him with a javelin with Prevent Monster Heal) while running laps around structures on this floor. Took about 15 minutes and I had to repair the javelins over 20 times, but there was no danger at all.

(Now, if you take an early-in-area Extra Fast Fanaticism Cursed Frezytaur pack, or a nasty act 3 temple stairs trap involving archers, bats/beetles and snakes, then we´re talking major danger!)

Hmm...I've just been carrying on my game with my Sorceress on players 4, and it seems quite a bit harder, especially the Tristram bit. Think I might stick with that for now (or maybe the whole game). The magic users are always weaker after all.

ianpwilliams said:
Hmm...I've just been carrying on my game with my Sorceress on players 4, and it seems quite a bit harder, especially the Tristram bit. Think I might stick with that for now (or maybe the whole game). The magic users are always weaker after all.
Magic users tend to be weaker early on in the game, because you don't have as many (if any) area-of-effect spells that can kill quickly, nor do you have a good mana pool, so you're often quaffing potions or waiting for your mana to regenerate. They pick up speed later on, and sorceresses especially are among the fastest and most versatile characters in the game when they get to higher levels, and excel at running bosses (with Teleport, getting to the bosses is easy and fast).

That said, have you considered checking out the MP games thread if you're having trouble with a particular area of the game? Playing with other people is fun, and a party with a good blend of characters can often steamroll monsters that would be hard for a single character.

Oh no I'm not having a problem getting past Tristram, it was just very hard, but then I think it was meant to be. I know magic users are always weaker at the start of RPG's because I can never resist playing as them (spells tend to be a lot of fun). All I wanted was for it to be harder, but not impossible, and players 4 seems to have done that nicely. I'll definately be having a go at the multiplayer sometime though, looks like a lot of fun...as was Diablo on multiplayer. Just hope there won't be too many PK's :p

ianpwilliams said:
Just hope there won't be too many PK's :p

I can almost assure you there won't be any PK's. Shin-kicking, maybe, but no PK's:thumbsup:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High