• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

A plot hole??

Schragmeister

Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
A plot hole??

Ok I am a newcomer here to purediablo.com, but I have visited here many times.

First a little background...

I have played, beaten, and mastered Diablo I and Diablo II +Expansions to both. I was replaying Diablo I today, and I read a book that made me think..... Observe this passage..

Bartuc, the brother of Horazon, was eventually lured to the side
of darkness. He was granted exceptional strength and longevity, and fought
alongside the legions of hell against the cursed Vizjerei, and eventually
his own brother during the Sin War. Although Bartuc was renowned amongst
the warriors of many realms, his dominance in battle came with a terrible
price. An insatiable lust for mortal blood pervaded his every thought
and deed. Bartuc soon became as fond of bathing in the blood of his enemies
as he did of shedding it, and in time he came to be known only as the
Warlord of Blood.

Now, you are assumed to kill this "Warlord of Blood" which I've done so many times. Now in Diablo II XP, you kill Bartuc the bloody, a Council Member serving under Baal at the end of the game... HOW?!

You kil Bartuc in Diablo I, yet you fight him in Diablo II UNDER BAAL! He served and was killed under Diablo's first reign, correct? Then how in the world? Could it be that he was cursed, but as a side effect he was able to be reincarnated under Baal? Please offer your opinion or solutions PLEASE! Chances are Im gonna lose sleep over this.....

buttaz

Mar 24, 2005
lol ure thinking quite deeply nto this, a game where u can kill the same boss over and over agin ;)... lol jk but seriously, read the book ' Warlord of Blood' 1. its awesome, 2. it explainss alot.....

i think the most "logical" explanation wood be that he was summoned back onto the mortal realm when Diablo went back into hell..... or Baal summoned the armor and found it a mortal host

Schragmeister

Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
Its night time... What do you think I do... I cant go out past cewfew for another 3 months... But yeah I jsut made myself look like a total nerd... Maybe I am... But really... It jsut hit me!

buttaz

Mar 24, 2005
lol... but seriously get the book.... all of the Diablo based books are pretty sweet,as i am a fan of horror/medieval sorta things (Stephen King's: the dark tower are the best books ive EVER read)

Schragmeister

Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
Yeah medival books are great fun.. Im in the process of writing a novel....

But anyway...

So if thats true, whats to keep all the lesser Evils or like Izual or high Generals from coming back into the Mortal World? Theres the nerd in me again lol

buttaz

Mar 24, 2005
Maybe the brothers ordered Bartuc to come? and bar entry to the mortal realm from those they dont want in the mortal realm?

Schragmeister

Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
And he served under Baal as a personal protector. And hes a Council Member, which means he might have served under Mephisto too... so what about Big D? Shouldnt he be the one to summon him back? And assuming Bartuc did serve under Mephistos Council, then he couldnt have been the Warlord of Blood because TWoB was underneath the Laberynth for quite a long time! Or so the book says:

"He was granted exceptional strength and longevity, and fought
alongside the legions of hell against the cursed Vizjerei"

" and eventually his own brother during the Sin War"

I think we have a problem here..... The Sin War was a LOOONG time ago... Wasnt it?

buttaz

Mar 24, 2005
He nvr rilly worked 4 any specific demon besides baal at throne, but he is not part of the couincil, thats just the monster they chose 4 the game... both of the demons who are having the civil war saught after bartuc, but when Diablo goes into hell, i assume the wars ended, and Bartuc became a servant of the 3?

Plus Bartuc's armor stays un destroyed from the sinwars into "modern day" in the game.... anyone who dons the armor, in a sense, becomes bartuc, cuz the armor corrupts its wearer, so "Bartuc the bloody" could be any old person who ut on the armor, and was taken over by Bartuc's spirit (incased inside the armor) and thus said person became "Bartuc" in a sense...

Schragmeister

Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
I dont think I can agree with that, because it too kmany weeks for Diablo to corrupt the hero or Diablo I, So could somebody ind the armor from TWoB's corpse, don it, and be corrupted by it, and follow into the immediate service of Baal at his right hand side? I think it would have taken much longer than that. Thats a very good theory though. But still.. I dont think i can acxcept it....

buttaz

Mar 24, 2005
Actually for 1, we have no idea the period of time between the finder of the armor's donning it, and when bartuc appears in WSC.... besides the fact tho, when the hero of tristram became corrupted, it was thru the SS, which mite not have the same properties of the armor, and also, the process of controlling the wanderer cood take significantly longer than the other. consider the fact that a common warrior found the armor on accident, whereas the hero knew wut was happening, also, the warrior was able to kill diablo, so he is obviously strongwilled, and that could slow the corruption by large degrees.... whereas the armor host, who could be ure garden variety person, woo fall to the corruption much faster......

this is fun :D

Schragmeister

Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
Hes got a point there... It DOESNT say anything.... And buttoz..... I'm having problems reading what youre typing... I dont want to seem like a jacck-hole, but can you type a little neater please?

In my honest opinion, I would say that we have a plot hole here....
And who would even want to go down into the labyrinth? And if somebody DID don the armor.... Then they would have been in Hell. And I doubt any normal worrier would have had the guts to venture into Hell! I wouldnt....

buttaz

Mar 24, 2005
well since the original bartuc was killed, the only "reasonable" explanation wood be that another person donned the armor (as is sed in the book)

buttaz

Mar 24, 2005
nah man, the armor couldnt be destroyed, so the vizjeri met with the Necromancers to arrange to have it buried. It was bureied in some mountain, and that place was plundered often, but evryone wood reach a room full of jewels, and be killed by skeletons, except for 1 person, who would've gotten the armor and became the new bartuc :thumbsup: