This week we have a rather special podcast/vidcast as we are joined by the one and only Jay Wilson who was the Game Director on Diablo 3 when the game launched.
With Diablo 4 due next year, we thought it would be interesting to hear from Jay to discuss what it’s like developing a Diablo game for today’s market.
Jay also discussed his previous work background as well as his work on Diablo 3 and the design decisions made by the development team at the time, beta testing a Diablo game, and much more. The section on beta testing is particularly interesting considering the Diablo 4 beta is still active.
There has definitely been a shift at Blizzard when it comes to Beta testing since Diablo 3’s release and perhaps lessons have been learned. Diablo 3’s testing was one of the main mistakes they made according to Jay.
You can join HCXanth, Neinball, and Jay via video or audio below. Also, all previous shows can be found here if you have missed any.
Update: A new version with improved audio has been put together and that is the one seen below on Youtube.
Listen to The Diablo Podcast
Watch The Diablo Podcast with Jay Wilson
Don’t forget to drop us a sub on the Youtube channel. Your subs help make The Diablo Podcast possible.
- 00:00:00 Introductions
- 00:06:04 – Combat in Diablo 3 and design
- 00:14:40 – How hard was it to be the face of the game as the Game Director?
- 00:23:00 – Jay on criticism as a developer.
- 00:31:15 – Diablo team capabilites and style choices gravitated towards what the company wanted.
- 00:36:22 – Diablo 3 following on from Diablo 2 and Diablo 4 following on from Diablo 2 Resurrected.
- 00:38:12 – Jay on the community reactions to things such as itemisation in Diablo 3
- 00:45:40 – Development moving away from the community’s expectations and what mistakes were made.
- 00:56:56 – A developer’s perspective on useful beta feedback.
- 01:05:07 – The Diablo 3 beta roadmap through to development plans for expansion.