The Rogue makes a return from Diablo 1. The class also appeared in Diablo 2 as hireable mercenaries.
The Diablo 4 rogue sticks closely to the classes’ lore from previous games but has changed somewhat to become a mix of the traditional Rogue as well as the assassin from Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction and the Demon Hunter in Diablo 3. This new version of the Rogue was designed to initially look like the original Diablo 1 character with the red armor.
The Diablo 4 version of the class is not only proficient with the bow and crossbows, but is also a master with swords and daggers.
Specialisations include Shadowrealm, Exploit Weakness, and Combo points.
The class will be able to imbue weapons with special powers such as Frost and Shadow. For example, Chills build up to a full freeze which can sped up with Frost Imbue.
Mounts can be used like the other classes. On dismounting, the Rogue will fire down a rain of arrows.
Continuing Diablo lore, this class is part of the factions that we have seen before in the series, such as the Sisters of the Sightless Eye.
Playing as a male character will mean the player will be aligned to one of Sanctuary’s other Rogue factions.
Rogues are members of an all-female guild, renowned for their archery and combat skill. The official game fiction reads as follows:
- The Sisters of the Sightless Eye are a loosely organized guild shrouded in mystery amongst the peoples of the West. These highly skilled archers employ ancient Eastern philosophies that develop an “inner-sight” that they use both in combat and to circumvent dangerous traps that they may encounter. Known only as wandering Rogues in the West, the Sisters conceal their secret affiliation by posing as simple travelers. Many pompous fools have made the mistake of underestimating these steel nerved women in combat and paid a terrible price for their vanity.
- The strange events transpiring in Khanduras have caught the attention of many of these Rogues. They have come from as far as the Eastern dunes to test their skills against the dark evil that is said to be lurking in Tristram. It is also believed that untold riches wait to be discovered among the ruins of the ancient cathedral.
- Although not as powerful in close combat as the Warrior, the Rogue is the undisputed master of the bow. A skilled Sister can send a stream of arrows at an opponent, each fired with a seemingly careless precision. The innate sixth sense that all Rogues seem to possess also allows them to sense trapped fixtures, and aids them in attempts to disarm these traps.
The sisterhood is shrouded in mystery amongst the local people, and not very much is known about the organisation. It’s known the Order was started some hundred years ago with the help of the Horadrim, who pledged the Sisters to guard the pass from Khanduras (and Tristram) to the East. They upheld this pledge until about 20 years ago, when their monastery was invaded by demons, and many Sisters corrupted by Andariel.
The Sisters employ a religious/military structure and is at least to some extent interested in gathering monetary riches, although this might be the goal of individual sisters rather than the Sisterhood itself.
Known only as wanderingin the West, the Sisters conceal their secret affiliation by posing as simple travellers. Many pompous fools have made the mistake of underestimating these steel nerved women in combat and paid a terrible price for their vanity.
The sisters are not only located in the West, as there are sisters as far away as the “Eastern dunes”.
Rogues returned in Diablo 2, as the main NPCs of Act One. It was their monastery through which the Dark Wanderer passed, waking demons and calling forth Andariel, the Maiden of Anguish, to corrupt and defile the Sisters and their stronghold. Rogues could be hired as mercenaries in Act One of Diablo 2, and as part of the game fiction players learn that the rogue character from Diablo I returned to the Monastery and was corrupted, eventually becoming Blood Raven, a demon archer you must defeat in one of the earliest quests in Diablo II.
The Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye is known by many names, as any dear child. They are naturally all quite similar.
- Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye (primary)
- Order of the Sightless Eye
- Sisters of the Sightless Eye
- Rogue Sisterhood
- The Order
In Diablo 2, one of the Rogues that can be hired as a mercenary is named after this site’s founder. When playing Diablo 2 Resurrected lookout for the mercenary called Elly. Two other Rogues were also named after previous staff members that worked with us during Diablo 2’s development, Gaile and Flux.
These characters were named after our staff as a special thanks from Blizzard North for all our work and support during Diablo 2’s development.