Your TOP 5 strongest possible D2 itemz

Tears85

Jul 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what your guys top 5 for strongest itemz that ever existed would be........ SP itemz only! Not the itemz u have, but that overall existed! Might aswell be some fantacy rares or blues if somehow possible in one patch!

Mine would be:

1. 08valor
2. Eni/Beta CTA
3.Beta CTA/Eni
4. Infi
5. Griffons overall for Singleplayer DF

To explain 08valor is game changing for a sorc and Bowa. 08Valor would be the best armor for every class most likely even over Forty if there wasn´t Eni. Beta CTA just so game changing. Infi again because most game changing item for ele chars that aren´t Cold Sorcs. U kinda need Griffons to make Infi really shine if u dont wanna use Cresent Moon, but for SP Sealrunz so strong that here DF > Griffons, even so DF must be rolled good to be really >> Hoto imho!
Hope u guys will enjoy this game....sure I missed tons of super imbalanced stuff!

Last edited:
1. Enigma
2. Infinity
3. CTA
4. Web/ DF/ Griff
5. +2/ 20FCR Amus

Enigma does not need further explanation i think.

Infinity is the ticket for almost any elemental damage using class to really get to top tier effectiveness.

CTA (even the regular one) provides such a massive lifeboost, that for me, it is a top gamechanger (especially in HC).

Fourth place make the items, that promote yet very effective builds to another tier of effectiveness.

Last but not least i chose +2/20 Amus, because they allow that extra flexibility gearwise which again can provide yet more damage/speed/mf to an already almost perfect build.

1.07 ethereal weapons and Valor, Beta Bramble and Beta Crescent Moon did not make it for me, because i thonk they are too niche. Meaning the overall impact is less than with the other.

Nice thread.

My list:

1. Infinity - without it aggressive playstyle on high player setting would be difficult for elemental based chars. Not to mention baal/nihlathak runs.

2. Grief - same as infinity but for melee chars. Just look at all the guides for melee builds regarding PvP, Travincal, MF (especially pit runs), you will find Grief mentioned as top choice.

3. Enigma = effectiveness... enough said.

4. Reaper's Toll (merc) - solves so many problems at once while allowing you to finish the game even with crappy gear. Enable a more aggressive style on higher P-settings.

5. 1.07 crafts - high iPDR, huge LL, any weapon can be crafted... Nothing can really compete in newer patches (1.11+).

Items from my top 5 have all been mentioned. My order would be this, keeping in mind that's with a mindset of building optimal farming characters (as opposed to more casual playthroughs etc.):
  1. Enigma – 6/7 classes are inefficient without it in comparison to having it. Biggest game changer in the whole history of Diablo.
  2. CtA – 6/7 classes are weak without it :) key item for most non-Barb characters to really realize their potential
  3. Infinity – makes lightning-based top tier builds really viable in the first place (Java, Light/Nova Sorc), similar for fire (Assassin & Druid builds) even though to a lesser degree. Even cold builds like Trav Blizzy or Necros benefit a lot from it.
  4. Grief – Blizzard screwed up here in making the gap to other weapons too big. Very few melee builds could even have any sort of reason at all not to use it.
  5. Griffon's Eye – big game changer only for lightning-based chars, but very much so for them, and they are among the strongest builds in the game
For those that time-travel, such gear can obviously be a big improvement, but there are few instances where it really gives a noticeable advantage.

1. Enigma
2. beta CTA
3. Infinity
4. Grief

Top 4 need no explanation. Only item I had to think a little is the fifth one as there are several choices

5. 1.07 Shako
From PvP point of view, this is a monster item allowing characters like sorceress or necro to reach into 5k life territory, assassin can have near 7k and barb over 8k. In fact I built most of my characters around this item with premise "I'll use this as helmet and reach fcr and other breakpoitns via other items." In one way 1.07 Shako makes PvP to be more about strategy and less about lucky 2 shot-kills, but in other way this item makes other options obsolete in many cases. If you can put 1.07 Shako on PvP character, it is best to do just that. This is the item I thought we better ban from PvP to open other options to make more colorful builds.
From PvM perspective item is great if one doesn't want to use CTA for whatever reason, otherwise 1.13 Shako is just as good and better in some cases.

Last edited:
Thanks @Tears85 to go up to 5, the 4 first ones are so obvious indeed that this 5th slot is the whole point of the thread ;)

So on my side, the 5th one would be Last Wish.

Not because it is so damn powerful or whatever... but because if you brag having crafted one, hey you must have crafted any other runeword before - congrats on the grail!

Yes, I'm making a side step to participate, I don't see something more useful than the proposals already made - given my non pvp experience, I would have told @Gripphon is one of the strongest entity down there, but who knows which one inspired the name of the other...

Reactions: Tears85
Depends a bit on the stage of the game you're playing. My "different" list:

1 - Pre-LoD SoJ used in classic - No level requirement!! Start out your twinked char with +2 skills, +2-24 lightning damage (which matters a LOT in act 1 normal) and +50% mana!

2 - Triumphant Ring of the Apprentice, crafted in 1.07 - 10FCR is decent... but these can have up to +37 mana per kill. When your clvl is in the single digits! A great way to completely negate mana problems for almost any character.

3 - 15% superior ethereal 1.07 pike, brought forward to 1.09+, Larzuked, then socketed with 1.08 rare jewels with 20%ED and other affixes rlvl 13 or lower - The ultimate twinking weapon for act 2 merc early twinking. Can get like 300 max damage for your merc as soon as you can hire him. He can solo the rest of normal from this point. Which is pointless in 1.13+ because respec, but is NOT pointless if you feel like twinking a char in 1.09-1.12 instead of rushing. in 1.00 and leveling in 1.07 or 1.09b for some reason.

4 - +skill charms. Seriously, what would we do without them? Cast spells twice?

5 - Pre-LoD rare boots. Dream pair would be 30FRW 19str 34mf (or 119% goldfind) 49/49/49 fire/light/cold resist.

Since this has essentially become about #5 I'll add this entry from the future that right now everyone is sleeping on:
  • 1.08 Amulet Craft: These can get two to class skills and up to 25% FCR. I haven't theorycrafted each and every character but this is the amulet that will let Druid and Amazon have their cake and eat it too. Druid can equip Facet Sword, Spirit, 1.07 damage helm, 1 beta BKWB with only one ring wasted on fcr and still get 99% FCR. AS Java with 24% FCR amulet, 1.07 Valk, 1.07 MPK ring and Spirit gets 99% FCR while also having 55% IAS via gloves and IAS jewel in Valk.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg (I'm sure). For completeness sake:
  1. Enigma
  2. Infinity
  3. CtA (beta)
  4. 1.07 MPK Ring

Hmmm....

1. BER. Without this, no Enigma, no Infinity. HAH! :ROFLMAO:
2. Beta CTA. Don't have one, but if CTA is that good, this should be much better.
3. LO. Without this, no Grief, no Fort. Hehe.
4. .07 Valor. 6K+++ life? No problem!
5. Kinda cheated with Lo & Ber, so I'm kinda out of ideas. Let's go with .07 Valk. Don't have them, but versatility looks astounding.

Honorable mention:
Reapers Toll: The ultimate physical damage build's merc weapon. Would get the nod if not for Lawbringer readily available as a brokeboi alternative.

Winging this, not sure on order exactly. The order of 1-5 is subject to change and I probably will miss an obvious item along the way, as I do this off the top of my head real quick.

1. Enigma - Pretty self explanatory. Not only can any char Teleport now, this item is actually extremely good in a Sorceress slot, if rich enough to meet all of your other Chars that can't teleport. Nobody typically uses it there, due to not getting full potential of free teleport. But it still kills in that slot, that is how good it is. Skills, ability to back off on tons of strength, lots of MF, DR%, adds some life and +14 to life after each kill. That adds up nicely for characters like a Javazozn. This and BotD was what everyone wanted when 1.10 came out and Enigma has certinaly been the one to hold up.

2. Grief - I sometimes wonder if Grief was meant for just Smiters, which is where it got its name first for being big. Everyone was going for BotD, Doom, Beast or Death, because they looked real pretty with high end ED and a list of other mods. The real gem was Grief and being that it had +XXX Damage, as opposed to a juicy looking looking %, people initially went for the high ED runewords coming out of 1.09. Or maybe the people at Blizzard were trying to low play it as a Smiter weapon, while using Grief and hoping it would take time for people to understand the +Damage mod was tops and hoping they could use Grief as their weapons, while everyone was chasing expensive BotD's, etc..hahaha.

3. Eth Reaper's Toll - This is personally my favorite Mercenary weapon by light years, unless it is a pure lightning buildd(or possibly a few other elemental builds that an Infinity can really make stronger). For any melee character, it is basically the equivalent of the Grief except for your Merc. The CtC Decrep means you'll rarely be dealing with a Physical Immune ever and get a huge damage boost constanty, The damage that is made even stronger by being ethereal is great, the built in, high life leach means you can focus on hitting your IAS BPs, resists and other important things. It just turns any good melee character into a great one and is still vary viable to use on non-melee builds, if you don't need a certain aura from a weapon.

4. Infinity - Obviously this all comes down to having Conviction Aura. Some of the most lethal builds are over the top because of this item. Javazons, Trapsins and Lightning Sorc(personally not a huge fan of Lit Sorc for PvM lol) really sticking out. I assume Tesladins can utilize this as well? Just what it does for the three original characters I mentioned, makes it an absurdly powerful thing to have on a Merc of one of those characters. The huge -LR% always confused me, since it only works for the Merc itself I believe. I don't know if that was intentional or not, as it seemed like just a big tease for people when it was released. Blizzard doesn't like to walk back anything, so if they messed up somehow, I guess it will always stand as a trick. If it it did work for character's damage, it probably would be a bit overkill. Maybe somebody knows more than I do about that and can inform me, as a Merc with Infinity doesn't exactly slay monsters too fast or have a reason to be stacked with lightning damage. Still, wonderful item.

5. Insight - This isn't the strongest weapon in slot for any finished character and probably isn't the best weapon in slot for any finished Merc, outside of a few mana intensive builds. What I find so great about this item is: 1. It is absurdly cheap to make. Finding the 4 os weapon is the hardest part. 2. It can be used very early on in the game 3. The Meditation Aura means that you can basically spam any spell you want and never have to worry about mana potions or running out of mana. This item may not be overwhelming, but anyone playing an untwinked playthrough is going to be trying to make one of these for their Mercs as fast as they possibly can. Some high level characters I still use Insight on because of the mana assistance. Plus this item has pretty damn good damage, especially for early on in the game if you can find a good base. An Eth lvl 25 base can put you in a position where you Merc can output bigtime damage for a long time. This item gets on my list mainly for how easy it is to obtain, how early you can utilize it and because it adds some amazing attributes on top of that.

Honorable Mention: SHAKO. Shako goes good on every character. Some may have a better Helm option, but you might not find your CoA, Griffon's, Runes for RW and end up using a Shako. But Shako still rocks. +2 Skills, lots of life+mana, 50% MF, 10% DR and don't forget the most extreme +2 to all attributes. You can PTopaz it for a MF Helm that offers great mods, or Ist it and look like a true baller. You can Ber it and help assist with hitting high DR%. Or you can do the greatest thing ever and 'CHAM' it and never have to wear a Raven Frost on a non-melee build again. I've never found a Cham in almost 20 years of this damn game, so I can only relate to my B.Net experiences of CHAMing things and this is about SP.

Also think Fortitude deserves some type of Mention. It is not necessary, but it sure beats out the old school 160/60 that most good melee characters would use through 1.09.

Cheers to all of the items I missed out on and will probably realize deserves a higher slot than one of these!

*Disclaimer: I just woke up middle of night/early morning and wrote this up in a stage of fog and haze, because I thought it looked cool. I may have a completely different opinion when I wake up in the morning forrealz. After rereading my posts, I realized the Merc got quite the upgrade after 1.10/1.11.

Last edited:
I choose to play vanilla (no RWM), so ladder runewords like Grief, Infinity, or Insight aren't available to me. I don't dispute that ladder runewords deserve their places in our top five. Nevertheless, here's an alternative list that doesn't include them:

1 - Enigma
2 - Call to Arms
3 - ethereal Reaper's Toll (I actually got one of these in last week's MFO! W00t!)
4 - Harlequin Crest
5 - Guillaume's Face (I have had many builds for whom hell Ancients were just too difficult. For these, I put this hat on the mercenary's head, and then focused on keeping the merc alive instead of focus on damaging ancients. If I could keep the merc alive long enough, that procedure has never failed to let me advance into the Worldstone Keep.)

Reactions: Tears85 and Miron
5. 1.07 Shako
From PvP point of view, this is a monster item allowing characters like sorceress or necro to reach into 5k life territory, assassin can have near 7k and barb over 8k. In fact I built most of my characters around this item with premise "I'll use this as helmet and reach fcr and other breakpoitns via other items." In one way 1.07 Shako makes PvP to be more about strategy and less about lucky 2 shot-kills, but in other way this item makes other options obsolete in many cases. If you can put 1.07 Shako on PvP character, it is best to do just that. This is the item I thought we better ban from PvP to open other options to make more colorful builds.
From PvM perspective item is great if one doesn't want to use CTA for whatever reason, otherwise 1.13 Shako is just as good and better in some cases.

I’m also thinking we should ban this for PvP. Like you say, it makes other helms obsolete. When you have to build around it, gear choices get more limited so builds become more cookie cutter. Also people trading 20FCR circlets will be happy :)

4. Infinity - Obviously this all comes down to having Conviction Aura. Some of the most lethal builds are over the top because of this item. Javazons, Trapsins and Lightning Sorc(personally not a huge fan of Lit Sorc for PvM lol) really sticking out. I assume Tesladins can utilize this as well? Just what it does for the three original characters I mentioned, makes it an absurdly powerful thing to have on a Merc of one of those characters. The huge -LR% always confused me, since it only works for the Merc itself I believe. I don't know if that was intentional or not, as it seemed like just a big tease for people when it was released. Blizzard doesn't like to walk back anything, so if they messed up somehow, I guess it will always stand as a trick. If it it did work for character's damage, it probably would be a bit overkill. Maybe somebody knows more than I do about that and can inform me, as a Merc with Infinity doesn't exactly slay monsters too fast or have a reason to be stacked with lightning damage. Still, wonderful item.

The huge -elr% was always a big draw for me just trying to figure out how to make use of it. The Merc really doesn't have lightning damage to make use of it but I guess if you really wanted to feel like a high roller you could throw a dream helm on him as well but it just doesn't make sense since you can't use a dream shield as well.

Otherwise you are looking at more... creative builds. Some options could be:

Nova sorc
2h vengeance pally
Tesladin
Trapsin that uses shock web? (Ok that's a stretch.)
?????

See, tons of builds!

I am thinking of this from PvM viewpoint. I suspect we could have a PvP item category also

1. Enigma - stats are very nice and it is the first high end runeword most players make if they have the runes available
2. Infinity - I made this in the last two weeks and all of my elemental character builds' damage has gone through the roof . Most of the time the merc does not get may hits. Low AR on characters is less of a problem for them hitting with this
3. Grief - the cornerstone of most 1 handed weapon melee builds
4. CTA - beta or modern - free life and mana equally added safety and effectiveness
5. Dream (dual) - used by some of the most powerful PvM builds

Other characters benefiting from Infinity - elemental bowazon, enchantress or any Fire Sorcs for that matter, fire druid, corpse exploding necro, lord of mages necro and any niche elemental build

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High