Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Act 5

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Special mention - Cows

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ergro

Jun 20, 2021
So through questiong in D2R I remembered just how some acts irk me and some I totally look forward to.

So I though I'd like to get opinion of you all and your favourite acts and perhaps even why.

If possible I'd you to ignore the preference simply because of the cookie cutter hunting places such as Andy, AT, Travincal, LK, Meph etc. because those are in my humble opinion a little bit a of special case and do not really reflect the act as a whole.

I allowed you to place two choices since nothing is really black and white and I'd guess that lots of people could have hard time choosing just one.

For myself, my most favourite act is and always was Act 4, I just love the mobs and atmosphere there, not to mention if I would ignore act 5 for a second, it is the pinnacle of the game. You finally catch up to the big bad Diablo and put him out for good. Not to mention that I am also always exstatic to just what rune I will get at NM and Hell hellforge and I simply love Chaos Sanctuary as a whole, not just for the high mob density but the possible drops as well. I wasn't ever the biggest fan of sub 20s runs even in old D2, so doing Chaos was just always so nice and enjoyable for me (at least once they removed the damned Iron Maiden curse lol). The only thing that makes me sad about Act 4 is how short it is, but in hindsight, it is also one of its charms.

For the second most favourite act, that would be way harder for me to choose, but between Act 1 and Act 5, I guess I have to go with the first one. It just has too much nostalgy and everything starts there,

I do not know if it is possible to make two polls in one thread but I suppose Act 2 and especially Act 3 are pretty much universally hated (act 3 the most?).

This all is totally subjective, I am just curious how you all fell about this.

Thanks for respones.

A little preamble before I answer.... In D3, by far my favorite act was act 2, especially the Desolate Sands area. It seemed like many people hated that area because it was so spread out and the bounties were a pain, but I liked the aesthetic. The architecture was interesting and I just liked the desert environment. Unsurprisingly, I really enjoyed hiking in the Mojave desert in the past few years, and Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite of the series.

So .... I like act 2. I just like the desert areas and the enemy models and the architecture.

All other areas are tied for second place. :)

I’m with you on act 4. I wish it was a bit longer. Something about the atheistic and ambient sound when warping there gets me every time. I like the first area bc it’s fun finding the next area bridge, killing Tyrel, then the River of flame. That other area there just isn’t fun. It feels like I’m rushing through it blind looking for the River!

Act 1 mainly because it’s easiest to navigate. It’s plain compared to the other acts, but I enjoy it. Act 2 has top tier music, especially that 38 seconds I hear in the haram temple, lol.

When I first started playing Act 3 was the coolest to me, simply because the town area has some spread-out characters and the jungle / marsh aesthetic seemed really unique, especially Kurast and Travincal, etc. Now I find the spread-out nature of the town a bit annoying, but aesthetically, very cool.

Now, I think A5 is quite beautiful with all the snow, so it gets my vote. A4 does look the most epic, however.

When I first started playing Act 3 was the coolest to me, simply because the town area has some spread-out characters and the jungle / marsh aesthetic seemed really unique, especially Kurast and Travincal, etc. Now I find the spread-out nature of the town a bit annoying, but aesthetically, very cool.
I used to dislike Act III, especially the jungles, but I've come around to liking it more these days. I still prefer everything from Lower Kurast onward over the jungles at the start of Act III, but even the jungles are growing on me. Except maybe the Great Marsh and those pesky Gloams :|

I am going for act II because it doesn't really have an area or multiple areas that annoy the hell out of me, with act I closely behind.

Act III: those first four areas are loooooong. And that maze-like dungeon thingie is horrible
Act IV: getting from the first to the second waypoint feels so much longer than any other distance in the game. And there are gloams all over the place too. I love the river of flame and the Chaos Sanctuary though.
Act V: In rewards, graphics and story by far my favorite part. But those long parts where you go from trench to trench just feel a bit too long.

I used to dislike Act III, especially the jungles, but I've come around to liking it more these days. I still prefer everything from Lower Kurast onward over the jungles at the start of Act III, but even the jungles are growing on me. Except maybe the Great Marsh and those pesky Gloams :|
A lot of the things that are pleasing about A3 from an aesthetic perspective are really annoying from a practical perspective. I loved the long little boardwalks above the water and the thatched huts, but I'll be darned if I ever want to go get repaired by Hratli. 😁

Act I, where everything is new and fresh in every difficulty and the feeling of spooky Diablo-ness is at its greatest.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
I was told that the Blizzard North developers and artists spent more time crafting and polishing the act I gameplay experiences, visuals, and sounds. I think it shows; act I is still my favorite. Apparently, I haven't yet experienced this 'Act One Syndrome' you speak of.

I voted for Act 1, but I like Act 2 a lot except for the Maggot Lair, that is just so damn frustrating, on certain builds. I really like the caves in Act 1.

Act 3 is really annoying for the jungle areas, so much doubling back on maps, and, as I've started playing on the ladder, really annoying while doing the initial quests because the maps aren't static. The extended 2nd Floor of the Durance deserves a special note for frustration.

I like Act 4 a lot, but the zones before the RoF can be annoying as well.

Act 5 is a mixed bag. Absolutely love the frozen underground areas, but abhor the Arreat Plateau and Frozen Tundra.

Reactions: teddeeboy
Act 2 has top tier music, especially that 38 seconds I hear in the haram temple, lol.

I was just going to comment on the soundtrack side of things, as I think I'm in the minority in terms of using the actual D2 music in the background, versus customized soundtracks. And Acts 2 and 5 are at the top of the list for me, for this reason. My least favourite stretch to play is Act 3, until I get to Lower Kurast (in general, not speaking to soundtrack in particular here).

Last edited:
I voted for Act 1 because the sound track. I also like the Act 2 soundtracks as well

The frustrating areas are character build dependant.
but like @Foghorn Leghorn questing in Act 3 can be annoying if the map is full of deadends

But the couple i never go unless under tournament or conditional play is

1) Swampy Pit - just an annoying map
2) Optional Kurast temples too many stair traps
3) Hell portals in Act 5 usually the monster match up are no good for my toons builds
4) Plains of Despair levelling cause of Souls hammering you from around the place off screen

Also, the leveling process varies for different versions of the game
For example I just finished a long set of Arachnid Lair, Claw Viper Temple and City of Damned runs and doing some Arreat Plateau in 1.07 where the area levels are completely different to post 1.10 play and were fun for the build.

I'm curious about Act One Syndrome. :LOL: I have some guesses, but would love to hear you elaborate.

I must admit I loathe it a lot, lot less than I used to.

But I absolutely hate the Gaols and Catacombs. Mindless running... That's why I nearly said 'Act III'.

Act One Syndrome: 1) A Diablolical deja vu; 2) The unnerving feeling of having been here before... Again and again; 3) An emotion that usually hits between the Countess and Andariel.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
I must admit I loathe it a lot, lot less than I used to.

But I absolutely hate the Gaols and Catacombs. Mindless running... That's why I nearly said 'Act III'.

Act One Syndrome: 1) A Diablolical deja vu; 2) The unnerving feeling of having been here before... Again and again; 3) An emotion that usually hits between the Countess and Andariel.
I actually like Act 1, except for the feeling of NM and Hell on an untwinked character I'm not familiar with. It's always a rude awakening when I feel just how much harder NM or Hell is and a quill rat on the Blood Moor suddenly feels like Lister. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point. :)

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High