Who will be playing D4?

Will you be playing D4?

• Total voters

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
Just wondering who will be diving in on launch day and who isn’t bothered.

Reactions: coju
Not sure yet. I don’t have time anymore to dive deep into new games so either way it would be rather casual. My laptop seemed to be able to handle the open beta (although only played for 20 minutes or so). I liked the PoE style skill system but been noticing a number of complaints from the community, so I’ll just wait and see for a bit.

Reactions: maxicek and Miron
I'll be buying it just after launch and giving it a go. Not sure if it'll have the required staying power, but worth a try. I tried out a rogue in the server slam and found it quite enjoyable and fun to play. Who knows what the end game will be like, though.

I wasn't impressed with Activision's 'pay more to play early' antics, however.

I will be just not yet sure when I'm starting. I won't have time to take off work for early access, and might not start on launch date. With work and all.

I think a couple of the other old timers are playing too.

I found that D3 was only really fun when I had people to play with, so I kind of expect D4 to be the same, and I don't mean randos. If enough people I know are playing it, that would probably motivate me to get it.

Like others, I don't have a whole lot of time for a new game. I've had a lot of time for D2R the last couple weeks due to a lull in work, but that lull is over (well....I can delay getting back to work, but then there's less time before my next deadline, so it's time to get on it.).

Hit me up any time @snickersnack I'll play with you just like d3. I'd imagine we can rope in @Noodle On occasion too.

Leo and Z may check it out. I know @suggestiveis playing. That means Usufruct might. Dredd will be too. A friend of mine @Sheevah will also.

Reactions: snickersnack
I gave in a pre-ordered the other day. I'm looking forward to playing through the campaign. (I found the first chapter quite enjoyable in the open beta/server slam.) I'm still very wary of it's long term playability (and concerned with the season emphasis) but I'm pretty confident I can get enough play out of it to justify the price. I want to play a sorcerer and rogue, so I figure I'll play one of them at launch and one for season 1 when it comes out. After that, I don't know that you'll be able to get me to level new characters in later seasons, so if they make the D4 eternal realm as pointless as D3's non-season characters I'll probably be done at that point.

I will probably wait for a price drop and play the campaign once or twice. I don't really like the end game focus nowadays in ARPGs. I never had the problem of reaching my goals in D2 too early... Or reaching them at all for that matter. xD

But the kind of focus on end game in D4 (and D3) reaches back to the early game and makes early game less fun IMHO. For example, the scaling monster difficulties are probably necessary because of a) open world and b) all those things you can unlock for all your account characters, no matter their level (take Blacksmith recipes in D3 for example or shared stash or Altars in D4). I like it more if you have to unlock those benefits for each character individually, thus actually playing the early game instead of skipping it as fast as possible to reach the end game.

And those boss "cage fights" which you aren't allowed to abandon once you started... Never will be a fan of those.

Reactions: coju
I doubt that I'll switch, but I'll keep track of what you all have to say and see what happens. I left D2 when D3 came out and played for about 2 years till the game bored me and I quit. It took me another 8 years to return and have been very happy with 1.14 and now D2R and still got a lot of things I want to do in D2R.

No, I'm sticking to D2R.

D2R is my dream game. Even after more than a year and a half, I'm still in a state of pinch myself, can't believe it really exists, happy. Coupled with GoMule, (thanks again @silospen !), it's just about perfect in my eyes. Sure, I'd prefer that you didn't have to check-in every 30 days, and therefore update to the latest patch. But I can live with that. And they have been pretty good about making changes. Other than changes to skills, if you don't like the change, you can generally choose not to make that feature part of your game play.

Things I can't live with:
1) Online only.
2) Ongoing monetization sprinkled throughout a game.

I stopped playing D2 online when I got tired of getting temp banned for being in and out of more than ten games in an hour.

I gave D3 a try after they shut down the real money Auction House ... only to stop when a patch came along that said something to the effect of: "To curb undesirable game play, we are limiting the number of times a player may receive drops from super uniques and bosses to five drops per day. Players may continue to kill super uniques and bosses past the limit of five times, but will not be rewarded with any additional drops." Can you imagine D2(R) being online only and Pindleskin being limited to five drops per day! ... Madness :rolleyes: . Oh! And the servers always seemed to be undergoing maintenance when I wanted to play. I rolled my eyes, walked away, and never looked back. But I'm starting to digress ...

Bottom line: I've got no patience for the ground rules of most modern games, and an endless number of things I still want to do in D2R. So for me, pass on D4, and thank goodness for the unicorn that is D2R! 🌈 🦄

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with online only or offline, though I don't like the seasonal idea of having to start over from scratch with a new character if you want new weapons that will only drop in a new season.

Also for me, it's a time balance issue. Work, other games, etc.

Nothing I have heard about D4 has me thinking that it is a must-have game, but I am a completest so I'll pick it up eventually and hell, I might even play it!

While the gameplay may be a match for me, I'm not keen for a game that will try to monopolise my time, especially if the grind/gameplay is based around keep doing things or miss out. I prefer D2R where I can do stuff, and if i stop for a week or 5 years i'm not disadvantaged.

I play plenty of other games and put stuff on youtube for those. I need time to do that.

Also not interested in something aggressively monetised, even if the buy the product version doesn't mean you have to do others. We have heard Immortal brings in hundreds of millions. We know Blizzard/Activision are obsessed with MAUs. I'll do it when it suits me, I have a life and other things to do, not fit that around a game

I am curious about D4 based on the stuff I've seen on YouTube, but it will be a long time before I maybe try it out. I don't like paying full price for new games, there could be flaws and problems at release that I don't want to deal with the hassle, and I don't even own anything that could play it anyways!

I didn't try D3, which I was also curious about for a long time, until like 7 years after the original release when it was discounted on the Nintendo eShop. Based on that timeline, I guess I look forward to doing a play-through of D4 sometime in 2030 :LOL:

Reactions: SirName
Diablo immortal was a dissapointment to me like It was supposed to be and D4 should be the same

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High