What new content would you like to see in D2R?

Tragedy

Jul 29, 2021
D2R is a great game, but very short - the game just begs for some extra content and I'm sure it'll get it eventually.
What would you like to see in addition?

Of course, at least 2-3 additional acts may occur even after killing Diablo, although they could be placed somewhere in the middle.
A new class, for example a monk. What would you like to see as new content?
In D2R it's much easier to get good runes than in classic Diablo 2. At the beginning I bought D2R items to boost my character, currently I only sold a few items and the game paid me off - buy d2r items What do you think about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Redgrove
I'd like to see stackability of more things such as gems, runes, jewels, especially pots. This could be done in a minor update and I was surprised to see this wasn't one of the QoL things they added.

I'd like to see gear reflected in my Merc. and I'd like maybe a belt slot for them, jewelry might be pushing it.

World changes are pure fantasy though but in the spirit of prentending...

It would be nice to see a few more sub levels where they could introduce completely new tilesets - I find some of the existing a little repetative.

I don't think we can have more acts because we can't advance the story as it carries on in Diablo 3. Sub levels though don't have to advance the story and they can be as large or small as they have resources to create and they can experiment.

You could have a level that catches fire in a random way until it's entirely engulfed in flames. It has a few randomly place decent loot chests, well worth risking life and limb for. No TP ability (magic shield prevents it of course :sneaky: ), apart from 1 chest that also activates a TP to safety but apart from that it's a race to the loot and the exit.

I don't think they're likely to make any, because their focus will be on D4, but I mostly just want minor QOL stuff, stackable runes, essentially infinite storage space, maybe even a directory system like Gomule within the game to make inventory management easier. I'd also take more easter eggs, with portals to the same tilesets just with special conditions like Elly said, maybe dungeons filling with poison clouds, or somewhere with increasingly active deadly traps.

NO QUEUES
STACKABLE POTIONS IN BELT
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
NEW RUNES / NEW RUNEWORDS
NEW UNIQUE / SET ITEMS
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
STACKABLE LITTLE THINGS
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
POE MAP / D3 RIFT SIMILAR THING
BUTTERY SMOOTH UI / AI
MORE SKILLS PER EACH CHAR
NO NEW CHAR
MOVEMENT SKILLS FOR EACH CLASS TO MATCH TELE SORC
SET ITEMS WORTH PICKING UP NOT JUST FOR SORC
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
BUTTERY SMOOTH UI / AI
NO QUEUES
DCLONE PLAYABLE BY ALL - NOT JUST BY GREEDY SNEAKY FEW
MORE CUBE RECIPES
NEW EQUIBABLE ITEMS - BRACERS / PANTS / TROPHY/TOKEN
ONE NEW UBER DIFF LEVEL

Have the devs commented on this at all? Is there any commitment to patches other than bug fixes? I kind of figured we've gotten all we'll be getting since it was a remake/reskin.

id like a way too boot griefers from game im in

Example lvl88 paladin joins game goes hostile to you and party kills you and party in the middle of a quest you and party are on making it impossible too do said quest

Last edited:
I think any new content is going to come from Vicarious Visions, not Blizzard, and that might increase the chances of it actually happening.

QoL for me sounds like the same as everybody else: gems and runes should stack, and possibly have their own specialized tab(s) in the stash. Squash old bugs (I've been seeing quite a few 1hp unkillable leapers, for instance). In-game knowledge base, "Diablopedia", so we don't have to alt-tab to go look up that runeword order.

I'd also like to see a revamp of some skills and synergies. The goals would be to bring lesser skills up to late-game viability, and bring back more build diversity. To give an example, a Necro's Teeth could have a weapon damage component added (and wands would need to drop with damage modifiers) but have its synergies capped out at 30 (same potential synergy sources, but you're done at 30 points total in those skills rather than the current 80). With a high damage weapon you could use Teeth as your primary attack in Hell, and you've got enough points left to build up something else (that isn't just another Bone attack) to go with it.

New maps would be great - just do them as side quests so you don't have to worry about integrating them into the main story.

Two more, while we're dreaming: monster types that spawn in an area shouldn't be limited to 3. Use the full cast of baddies possible for that zone so you can't predict as easily what the next pack is going to be. And add respawn. Creating new games endlessly isn't really that fun, and clearly it's murder for their servers. So make bosses and zones respawn. If you could whack Pindle, then go kill Baal and Mephy and the Countess, by which time Pindle is back up...wouldn't you just stay in that same game and farm? Wouldn't that be more fun than Pindle, quit/create, Pindle, quit/create, Pindle...

Funny that 20 years later, I still love daydreaming ways of improving this game.

I would strongly dislike it if they changed the monster spawning from limited types each game to full cast every game. That takes all the variety out of it, and one of the big elements that makes one character's experience different from the next. Yuck.

Also hate the idea of auto respawning. That would cause me to uninstall. Wouldn't mind if it was a setting that could be toggled on or off - more options are always great - but if it was a unilateral change it would ruin the game for me. I happen to like single-pass sometimes, and almost all SP tourneys are single-pass. That change would eliminate an entire culture of D2 players that have been playing a certain way for 20 years. In fact, I'd like to see a setting where nothing EVER respawns for a specific character - even between sessions. True single-pass. Once you beat Hell you could turn if off for doing runs (the tourney is over at that point).

Lest my post seem too negative or like I'm crapping on Redgrove's post, I will say that I agree with the other things in Redgrove's post. It was just the last 2 points that raised an eyebrow.

I think it's important that any change beyond pure QoL - anything that could possibly be associated with playstyle, such that changing it would antiquate somebody's existing playstyle - be made optional. I'm all for some creative changes, even ones that affect playstyle or add new playstyles, but I don't think anyone should be left out in the cold. All legacy playstyles should be preserved, which can be done easily enough simply by making any new options toggle-able.

I agree that any changes beyond QoL should be sectioned off into a separate play mode. Getting everybody to buy a remaster and then changing the game would be an unforgivable bait and switch. I was presuming that as understood, but if it wasn't -- yeah, no way. Leave the original experience alone. New stuff should be optional. And doing new content a-la-carte would divide players into ever smaller subgroups, so I would hope for "classic" and "new stuff" modes to keep it simple.

To clarify about monster spawning, I don't mean any monster from any act. But if you were running River of Flame, you could see Urdar, Pit Lords, Blood Maggots, Maw Fiends, etc, all in the same map. As the game is now, you know what the rest of the spawn is going to be as soon as you see three monster types. Your character's experience is still going to be different from any others' as dictated by the all-mighty RNG, and I would argue more "complete" -- no character is likely to cut their way through Hell without meeting at least a few representatives of all its denizens. Only ever seeing three at one time is a contrivance (perhaps driven by memory limitations of the time?) that I have never found satisfying. I don't think it would harm the experience the way you fear it would.

Regarding respawn: I can respect that a group of people have decided to play the game single-pass, but I don't think they should design new content around the self-imposed limits of that playstyle. I'd be happy for your sake if they created a separate game mode to cater to that style, but I'll leave the daydreaming of what that would look like to those who play the game that way.

Gear reflection on mercs sounds cool.
I want: the potion sprites to be fixed. You can’t couch in the bottom eighth.
To TK ancients and then spawn.
For the ancients door to roll up after you defeat them.

The game is near perfect. Hence why this forum and our old forum stayed so strong and active for 20 years. With SP we don’t need mules, but I can see how bnetters would want stackable runes and gems. That was a nice QoL with other mods.

Just fix the bugs. All the bugs. They cannot say they don’t want to fix bugs because they want to keep the feel of the original after they made changes, else it’s just a matter of the bug-fixer and what that team decides.

New content would be cool. Be it skills, characters, items, rune words, a fleshed out Act 4.

At first I want to have /players x to persist between games, as it used to be.

A bigger shared stash would be nice, perhaps to be paid with runes. First tab free, second Um, third Mal and so on.

A few new runewords.

Nerfing a few runewods, like Spirit, Enigma and Grief, or making them more expensive (Spirit in a sword would be OK with less FHR, for example).

Summoning the dclone in single player should not involve the sale of a SoJ. Instead, if a Soj drops in hell mode, a dclone will appear like he does on bnet and the SoJ remains. If it drops in normal mode, a lesser dclone could come up, dropping something else of universal value on death, let's say a lesser Annihilus with just one of its affixes on normal and two in nightmare.

I'm fine with new content appearing in D4.

Reactions: coju
I think what may work for VV to take up further to this is the addition of a new area.

Obviously this is a big step and a challenge because you are going back in time ...to a time gap that can facilitate the events of what transpired in D3 (which we know about) and the period just after the world stone chamber is or about to be shattered.

I think that area that would do great is in the isolated island region of Xiansai.

It opens up an area otherwise unknown to many of us, how the events in other regions affected them (or not), and it gives a very good excuse for Blizz to link the origins of the Wiz & other martial classes from D3 bridging the gaps of both titles.

The lack thereof of east asian culture is noticable (other than the Sin.) so this would be a great way to expand the title.

1636263018009.png

Oh, that reminds me to have a look down from Arreat Summit where the Ancients are! It seems I was a bit ignorant on D2Rso far, having gone on to the WSK right away.

NO QUEUES
STACKABLE POTIONS IN BELT
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
NEW RUNES / NEW RUNEWORDS
NEW UNIQUE / SET ITEMS
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
STACKABLE LITTLE THINGS
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
POE MAP / D3 RIFT SIMILAR THING
BUTTERY SMOOTH UI / AI
MORE SKILLS PER EACH CHAR
NO NEW CHAR
MOVEMENT SKILLS FOR EACH CLASS TO MATCH TELE SORC
SET ITEMS WORTH PICKING UP NOT JUST FOR SORC
LARGER INVENTORY / STASH
BUTTERY SMOOTH UI / AI
NO QUEUES
DCLONE PLAYABLE BY ALL - NOT JUST BY GREEDY SNEAKY FEW
MORE CUBE RECIPES
NEW EQUIBABLE ITEMS - BRACERS / PANTS / TROPHY/TOKEN
ONE NEW UBER DIFF LEVEL
"No queues", woooo wooo settle down, you are asking for what some believe to be the impossible.

Would be nice when I use /nopickup to still auto pickup gold

It seems it's kind of working if the mouse pointer is on the gold (so it's highlighted) while your character is close enough for autopickup. I would prefer it to be working all the time, however... and I would like /nopickup staying on between games, just like /players x.

Very curious how Quickcast will affect the game, looking forward to being able to use less frequently cast skills more easily though. I'm all for more QoL improvements like that. I can see them adding more content, but I'd rather see iterations of what we already have. More runewords, fill out all the uniques, more sets and more content using the assets they already have. The Endless Jungle, The Mage's Maze, The Halls of Undying, etc etc etc. Add more uber-bosses out of the super uniques - a 3x sized Rakanishu with multi shot charged bolts zooming around the screen would be pretty scary.

I was against stackable runes, but I turned over
It really costs too much space to save them
28 spirit packs = 1 mule
so, blizz, please let them stack

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High