Tip for fun untwinked HC char?

Ergro

Jun 20, 2021
Hello guys,

I am just looking for some tips for a nice untwinked HC character as a "project", simply to have a Guardian (actually never had one at all).

Unfortunately I do not have enough playtime (not to mention I do enjoy playing slightly drunk as well sometimes lol, which obviously imparts my reactions, which is a no-no) to play full HC to absorb sometimes unavoidable deaths, so I simply play SC for my sanity and relax.

However having a side kick as a small single project could be a nice change of pace. I guess this would fit nicely with some tournament that are held pretty often here, but as I said, I have quite a small playtime window, so I do not want to stick to a tournament, since I would feel pressured to push through with it then.

I do not plan on "twinking" the char by doing LK runs etc. Just simple playthrough (though /p8 would be ideal if possible at all at later difficulties).

Also I would like to skip sorcs all together and also ignore "safe" chars like skelemancer or other "god tier untwinked builds".

So I am looking for some tips on actually interesting char/build that can reasonably well do untwinked HC to guardian without too much of a preparation (I do not mind re-running areas to get some extra gear or levels, just nothing extreme).

Also I play D2R latest patch without Gomule.

So if you could be so kind and try to suggest some interesting but also viable char/builds, I would be delighted! (bonus points for using "achievable but usually unused items/runewords lol, but that would be just icing on the cake.)

Thank you for you time.

I'll leave it to others to give real advice, but as someone who failed at a similar goal, I can tell you what *not* to do:

Don't get impatient. 😁

I recently tried making Pat without any deaths on an untwinked char (though it was just SC) and I failed. When you don't have as much time to play, (I'm the same), it's really easy to get impatient and want to do something new, but that's anathema to HC. I think most of my failures recently, and back in the day trying to make Guardian, were really due to that and not so much my gear, etc., which is what I blamed at the time.

Reactions: snickersnack
Barbarian with battle orders, taunt and frenzy would be very versatile equipment-wise and very tough, and thus quite forgiving. It leaves some extra skill points to put wherever you like, add resistances, throwing to deal with walking bombs and impossible meleers, find item, whatever you like. Bring a wand of life tap in one and a throwing weapon in the other as switch to make thigns easier with untauntable bosses and dolls and stuff.

Bring along a cold mage to further your crowd control ownage and slap a pdr rig on him and laugh as taunted weakling can't put a dent in it. Also another damage type for magic immunes of ghosts you don't want to berserk.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
In the Untwinked Lvl 99 thread, I'm currently running a hardcore Freezing Arrow Bowazon that has been a boatload of fun (shattering so many of the monsters is really a pleasing feeling :) ). It's also relatively safe due to the aforementioned freezing effects of Freezing Arrow. I have far from godly gear (she is currently equipped with a Lycander's Aim, and wears Smoke armor), and have yet to find a +1 Bow skills GC (even though I pick up every flawless gem I find and reroll a ton).

I have an Untwinked HC Lvl 99er (currently lvl 95) which is a Druid. You can easily run P8 Fire druid (Fissure/Volcano/Oak Sage) through NM Act3 then from there switch over to a Wind Druid (Tornado/Hurricane/Oak Sage). Pretty simple gear needed like Spirit/Stealth/Smoke and random gear. Stay a decent ways away and cast from afar with an Act 2 Merc or even an Act 5 merc with dual weapons like Oath/Lawbringer. I find the druid fun and enjoyable (Also my favorite class)

Another character I felt was pretty safe was a Trap sin. Fire Traps through NM Act 3 then switch over to Lightning Sentry/Death Sentry.

Lastly I would also agree with @Foghorn Leghorn on his Freezing Arrow Bowazon. They are strong, just very mana intense early but can easily crowd control from a distance.

Hope the input helps.

Lastly I would also agree with @Foghorn Leghorn on his Freezing Arrow Bowazon. They are strong, just very mana intense early but can easily crowd control from a distance.

Great point about them being mana hogs. (y) Luckily with the latest patch, now that you can make Insight in bows that mana intensity should hopefully be mitigated.

I have an Untwinked HC Lvl 99er (currently lvl 95) which is a Druid. You can easily run P8 Fire druid (Fissure/Volcano/Oak Sage) through NM Act3 then from there switch over to a Wind Druid (Tornado/Hurricane/Oak Sage). Pretty simple gear needed like Spirit/Stealth/Smoke and random gear. Stay a decent ways away and cast from afar with an Act 2 Merc or even an Act 5 merc with dual weapons like Oath/Lawbringer. I find the druid fun and enjoyable (Also my favorite class)

I've never tried either of these Druids before. Now you have me thinking as well.... 😁

I second the druid suggestion. You can play until A5 NM with fire, relying a bit more on volcano and molten bolder for physical damage, which should be even better in 2.4.

Another great thing about wind druid is cyclone armor, which means you can almost ignore resistances in Hell, just make sure you cast it regularly, otherwise you are toast to a LE etc.

FA bowa is a great choice too and really cheap to gear. Irathas set + Wizendraw/Insight is super easy to get early and will let you dominate until Hell.

Good luck on whatever you choose and don't despair when you die. The next char is always easier, faster and luckier than the last.

Fire to frost paladin
Singer barb
FoHdin (wasn’t but now prob is godtier)

I kind of dislike changing builds, my playstyle is to stick with the build I plan the char with, only reseting to better reallocate stat points etc. but still you all gave me some nice tips so I have something to think about, thank you :) However if anyone still has any more tips, you're more than welcome!

Reactions: coju
@Ergro what did you decide?
In the end I decided on fana zealot just for that extra oomph if I do make it. However lately I have been really tired so I avoided playing him as to not die because I make stupid mistake somewhere, so so far he is stuck at like level 41 or something at lvl 1 act just found the tower to run Countess so I can run her for runes for Rhyme, because I seriously need the CBF from somewhere.

It is still a big success for me to even make it that far, never made HC char single player that made it past normal, untwinked and meele at that so I am already happy about it.

Will certainly go back to him when I feel more in the right mindset.

In the end I decided on fana zealot just for that extra oomph if I do make it. However lately I have been really tired so I avoided playing him as to not die because I make stupid mistake somewhere, so so far he is stuck at like level 41 or something at lvl 1 act just found the tower to run Countess so I can run her for runes for Rhyme, because I seriously need the CBF from somewhere.

It is still a big success for me to even make it that far, never made HC char single player that made it past normal, untwinked and meele at that so I am already happy about it.

Will certainly go back to him when I feel more in the right mindset.
When you do, be sure to shop for wands with life tap charges when possible. It is an absolute game changer, although it can be a bit costly.

So I have been lucky and I got to act 5 so far and got Pul rune from hellforge and tal rashas mask from Diablo, so I decided to level up to required lvl 66 on Shenk and Eldritch.

Well on second to last run to 66 I actually got another Pul from random mob, so now I can cube them up to Um.

Now I am actually really confused what would be best to do with it though if I do cube it up to the Um. I have basically two options.

Either make Crescent Moon since ATM I am just using random rare War Hammer (1 pala skills, 97 ed, 30 ias are the main stats. Decent but nothing too good.) or make Duress for armor since I am only using topazed armor and I decided I will just give up the MF for survival/damage.

Now what would you recommend me that would be bigger upgrade?

EDIT: Lol I just found 3 soc Aldur's weapon, which is significant damage upgrade with even more leech to add to the tal rasha. With that the Duress is probably better bet then in the end? With that said, anything really nice to slot in the weapon? Also is it worth it to use one Larzuk on the tal rasha?

EDIT2: And now I just found a Lem rune so I could make Treachery as well. Now I am completely lost about what would be the best way to go about this lol. I mean I could make that for merc too, but he has Hawkmail for CBF.

EDIT3: And just now a Lum rune so I can also make Smoke... WTF game, how am I supposed to make a decision.

EDIT4: Aaaand I have beaten nightmare! And Baal dropped me... Atma's Scarab! Which kinda confuses me even further because for a second I was thinking about running hell Countess for Ko rune and make Lawbringer for frenzy Act 5 merc for that decrep. Now Atma's would be overwriting it. This is such a chaotic happening in just one act lol.

Last edited:
Wow that’s a nice little run of good luck! Lots of options opening up for you.

With my Zealot, I opted to run a maxed Conviction aura instead of Fanaticism, and loaded up more on elemental damage. ‘Duress’ was one armor choice, and both ‘Crescent Moon’ and ‘Voice of Reason’ were very useful weapons for that character in different situations. (I also had a Nord’s Tenderizer which was super handy)

‘Crescent Moon’ in the right base might work well for your build too with Fanaticism.

Good luck on whatever you choose and don't despair when you die. The next char is always easier, faster and luckier than the last.
I never played HC much, but I think this is the right attitude.

Maybe I'll try HC if/when I start to get bored of SC.

Aaaand well nevermind all my questions.

RIP at barracks one shotted by a bunch of fire skeleton mages even with 900+ hp and like 50+ fire resist :( I guess that's no more hardcore for me.
I’ve thought about going back to HC and adjusting my key bonding to be closer to the esc key.

Instead of all letters, using f1-8, 1-5, and QWERTY for my main skills.

I still remember all my Big Sighs after seeing that screen!

Here’s to the next!!

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
So I have been lucky and I got to act 5 so far and got Pul rune from hellforge and tal rashas mask from Diablo, so I decided to level up to required lvl 66 on Shenk and Eldritch.

Well on second to last run to 66 I actually got another Pul from random mob, so now I can cube them up to Um.

Now I am actually really confused what would be best to do with it though if I do cube it up to the Um. I have basically two options.

Either make Crescent Moon since ATM I am just using random rare War Hammer (1 pala skills, 97 ed, 30 ias are the main stats. Decent but nothing too good.) or make Duress for armor since I am only using topazed armor and I decided I will just give up the MF for survival/damage.

Now what would you recommend me that would be bigger upgrade?

EDIT: Lol I just found 3 soc Aldur's weapon, which is significant damage upgrade with even more leech to add to the tal rasha. With that the Duress is probably better bet then in the end? With that said, anything really nice to slot in the weapon? Also is it worth it to use one Larzuk on the tal rasha?

EDIT2: And now I just found a Lem rune so I could make Treachery as well. Now I am completely lost about what would be the best way to go about this lol. I mean I could make that for merc too, but he has Hawkmail for CBF.

EDIT3: And just now a Lum rune so I can also make Smoke... WTF game, how am I supposed to make a decision.

EDIT4: Aaaand I have beaten nightmare! And Baal dropped me... Atma's Scarab! Which kinda confuses me even further because for a second I was thinking about running hell Countess for Ko rune and make Lawbringer for frenzy Act 5 merc for that decrep. Now Atma's would be overwriting it. This is such a chaotic happening in just one act lol.

For a Fanatic Zealot, I would vote for Treachery because that 45% IAS boost is so helpful in getting you to that final 4 fpa breakpoint. If you wind up not needing it later (you achieve it via your other equipment), then you can put it on your merc to significantly boost their survivability in Hell.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High