The untwinked level 99 progress thread [by kestegs]

Re: The untwinked level 99 progress thread

coju said:
Reading the lk faq, it appears that p3/4 nets the top three tubes for act3. :scratchchin:

Edit:I have been running an p8 for a few minutes, tons of drops. Do you cipher through the drops, as sometimes you don't get to see all that's there?

Edit: @ohom and zgpf and those with infinity: around how long did you run lk for the runes? And did you already respec to lightning? Or wait and run meph with blizzard?

Just curious , as this will eventually be my best equipped character I'm sure.

I think I once got Ber on p3 that wasn't in patterns thread, I'll try to dig up that SS...

I was pretty much lucky with LK runs(p/7), I got my first Ber in just a few runs. I waited long for other 2 though. I had around 1k flawless pgems from LK before I got them, other than that I don't remember how much time I spent there. Actually, I made CoH with that first Ber and went straight to Pindle instead of Meph because I needed Griffon's and already had CoH for armor and Hoto for a weapon. When I got that 2nd Ber I made Infy and respeced to FB/Nova because I wanted to run Pits for MFL but I didn't and run it with Barb instead. Then I put her on hold for ~2 months until last week when I respeced to full Lightning for MFO and that is pretty much where I am now.

coju said:
Reading the lk faq, it appears that p3/4 nets the top three tubes for act3. :scratchchin:

Edit:I have been running an p8 for a few minutes, tons of drops. Do you cipher through the drops, as sometimes you don't get to see all that's there?

Edit: @ohom and zgpf and those with infinity: around how long did you run lk for the runes? And did you already respec to lightning? Or wait and run meph with blizzard?

Just curious , as this will eventually be my best equipped character I'm sure.

It took me about 1800 LK runs to get the runes for Infinity, 1 CTA, 2 Fortitudes, 1 Crescent Moon. (1 Ber, 2 Sur, 2 Lo, 2 Ohm and enough Mal's to make the Ists I needed)

I ran Meph 1 time.

I'm currently respeced as a Lightning Sorc and I'm running Eldritch at P5ish gaining experience and looking for a Thresher that I can roll 4 sockets.

Current equipment is: Lore helm, Stealth Armor, Spirit Shield, Crescent Moon Axe, Trang Gloves, yellow rings with FCR, random yellow ammy with +1 sorc skills, yellow light belt and some shoes.

I'm not sure if I'll run Meph at all but if I do, I should be able to do some pretty quick runs. It might be better to just run Pindle and hope for a Griffons because the only thing that would really be useful from Meph at this point would be a Skin of the Vipermagi. But since I'll be able to handle Pindle fairly well with Infinity, I think I'll just wast time at his den.

Deeds @ 82. Got done by dolls in durance lvl2. I knew how I was gonna go too, the whole game (Zeal being uninterruptable so fleeing in a timely fashion isn't possible and I don't S&E). Gah!

Oh well, start again *cries*.

RiP Loomy.
Sorry to here that, loomy. The game can be cruel for sure.

Thanks guys,
I'm already started on my reincarnation. It's hard, but I have had worse (hate to say it). I've had a lvl 97 blizz sorc go on me before. That's the way HC goes.

Ragnarok_II is born. Just levelling in a2 right now, then blast through. Taking a diff approach and making a hammerdin to pwn council until I get my Jahs. Bit more realistic, imo.
No new update from me yet (have not been playing much and slowly still trying to find that one rune which should be so easy and yet not).

Just wondering, as for counters, which is the best one? As there are two or three mentioned on the forum...

The best one is easily "silo's advanced run counter"
Is it simple and easy to use? ^_^

Yes, ratehr self explanatory, just ask if you can't figure it out.
Okay, thanks!

I shall try it out later. Will be interesting to see just how few runs I can get done per hour =X.

Reporting exp progress after MFO.

Just hit 85 tonight. Still camping The Pits!

Delete the other persons quote tags that way others can copy it too :)
But way to go85!

Will come in handy for AT round of MFL:
Code:
Stone Talisman 
Amulet 
Required Level: 52 
Fingerprint: 0xd5b957b8 
Item Level: 97 
Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
+2 to Cold Skills (Sorceress Only) 
+20% Faster Cast Rate 
+1 to Maximum Damage 
+11 to Mana 
Regenerate Mana 4% 
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Crazy luck ;)

That's one sweet amulet there! A shame it didn't roll sorc skills though :p

Good work Blatantly! You're on your way, and I fixed the table for you.

I will likely take the next few days off before the MFL as well so that I don't get burned out on her.

Moved on from Act 1 :D

Thought I'd try to improve on my +3 BO CTA:
RRRRAAAAGGGGGEEEEE!!!!!

Code:
Call to Arms 
War Scepter 
AmnRalMalIstOhm 
One Hand Damage: 38 - 65 
Durability: 46 of 70 
Required Level: 57 
Required Strength: 55 
Fingerprint: 0xacf8e310 
Item Level: 81 
+1 to All Skills 
+40% Increased Attack Speed 
284% Enhanced Damage 
+150% Damage to Undead 
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
7% Life stolen per hit 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+2 to Battle Cry 
+1 to Battle Orders 
+5 to Battle Command 
Replenish Life +12 
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 5 Sockets (5 used) 
Socketed: Amn Rune 
Socketed: Ral Rune 
Socketed: Mal Rune 
Socketed: Ist Rune 
Socketed: Ohm Rune 

Call to Arms 
War Scepter 
AmnRalMalIstOhm 
One Hand Damage: 37 - 63 
Durability: 58 of 70 
Required Strength: 55 
Fingerprint: 0x5c03e000 
+1 to All Skills 
272% Enhanced Damage 
+150% Damage to Undead 
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
7% Life stolen per hit 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+1 to Battle Cry 
+1 to Battle Orders 
+6 to Battle Command 
Replenish Life +12 
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 5 Sockets (5 used) 

Nice you got +5 to BC :D

Code:
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level/exp   #of Deaths   #of S/U   #Hours in
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         97.49       20+         N/A        N/A
kestegs         OHM's Law         Sorceress         95          14         1820       125
MercMan         Khal Drogo        Barbarian         94           2         3636       N/A
jevgeni         Madness           Amazon            93         ~40          808       N/A
Kokojo          Bobladin          Paladin           91         ~65         250+      N/A
MizzouFTW       Cecilia           Sorceress         **           0          N/A       N/A
stephan         xxxHAMMERTIMExx   Paladin           **           0          n/a       n/a
JoshK           Gambit            Amazon            87           ~          216        58
BlatantlyObviousAriadne           Amazon            85          30+         N/A       ~80
Corax           Defendor          Barbarian         83           0           97       N/A
kimiko          Electra           Sorceress         81         TONS        200+       N/A
reddude         Maegor            Paladin           78           7          127       N/A
coju            Andraste          Sorceress         77           ?           ??       N/A
Fyourics        RiderInTheStorm   Amazon            75           8           65       ~24
DavidD          ArmyofDarkness    Necromancer       75           2           50       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         70         lots          20      10.5
Pirape          HULK              Barbarian         62           4          N/A
Jocular         SteveBrule        Druid             52           0           17       N/A
Torquil         Ossifier          Necromancer       50           0            0         ?
Gahzban         Taz               Barbarian         45           0           21        14
Chaostar        Rhaegar           Druid             45           0           17       N/A
GoldenredDragon Nynialy           Sorceress         29          HC            8         7
kstuart         Wozniacki         Druid             26           0           10       N/A
Hew             PipeLine          Amazon            26           0            8       N/A
jjscud          Lathgertha        Amazon            26           2            2       N/A
Loomy           Ragnarok_II       Palaidn           25          HC          N/A       N/A
Maniachiavelli  UT_Razr           Assasin           20           0            4         2
djmbbandie      Dreamana          Assassin          20           0            0         1
Jason Maher     JohnDoe           Necromancer       19           0            1         4
Delocked        HC*untwinked      Sorc              18           0            0       N/A
JCakes          Tiny_Dancer       Assassin          18           0            0        4
Kitteh          Kitteh            Barbarian          1           0                      0
TwentyMuleTeam  Dubtrap           Assassin           0           0            0         0

Jcakes said:
Nice you got +5 to BC :D

qtf. Exactly what I was going to say!

Heh great minds think a like :)

Jcakes said:
Heh great minds think a like :)

coju said:

qft. Exactly what I was going to say!

Will take on Diablo after work.

I've finally found a good base for my Infinity and rolled this:

Infinity
Thresher
BerMalBerIst
Two Hand Damage: 69 - 816
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 142
Required Dexterity: 108
Fingerprint: 0xde222f41
50% Chance to cast level 20 Chain Lightning when you Kill an Enemy
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Run/Walk
287% Enhanced Damage
-55% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
+44 to Vitality (Based on Character Level)
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30/30 Charges)
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Ber Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune

I also managed to roll 5 sockets into a crystal sword and now have this:
Call to Arms
Crystal Sword
AmnRalMalIstOhm
One Hand Damage: 19 - 58
Durability: 18 of 20
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0x19584e46
Item Level: 84
+1 to All Skills
289% Enhanced Damage
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Prevent Monster Heal
+4 to Battle Cry
+3 to Battle Orders
+3 to Battle Command
Replenish Life +12
5 Sockets (5 used)

So, now I'm running Pindle and just hit level **. He dropped this for me:

Cham Rune
Required Level: 67
Weapons: Freezes target +3 Armor: Cannot Be Frozen Shields: Cannot Be Frozen

Current Gear:
Sazabi's Mental Sheath
Crescent Moon Axe
Spirit Shield
Tal Rasha's Guardianship
Trang Oul's Gloves
Amulet with +1 sorc skills
2 10% FCR rings
Some weak yellow boots
a yellow light belt

Nice ohom! Very nice!

When making Call to Arms, is there really any reason to find a "good" weapon to put it into?

The way I understand it, that runeword is used mostly for the battle skills.
Nah, it doesn't really matter. The requirements are the most important. I like to use crystal sword because it looks much different from my normal weapon, so it's obvious when I have it out.

kestegs said:
Nah, it doesn't really matter. The requirements are the most important. I like to use crystal sword because it looks much different from my normal weapon, so it's obvious when I have it out.

You do get style points for using it as a real weapon though. I think I remember someone who made it in a bow ...

:( Then you cannot use Sigon's awesome +1 All Skills Shield! SADNESS!

That makes me think, whenever I'm able to make my own, I'll have to remember style trumps + skills.

Onto NM, Meph I'm coming!

I'm preparing for MFL, leveling in AT on p8 goes quite nicely for such a high level my Sorc is. My run times are around 1 min and I get 40-80k of exp per run which is close to Diablo runs if not better.

Far out, that's interesting to hear... imagine getting to 99 w/o leaving A1?
Yea, the experience isn't bad at all. It will drop off significantly at level 98 though.

Accidentally entered NM instead of Hell and erased my lovely Pits map.

*sigh* I guess this is motivation to get out of Act 1.

If you want, you (it's obviously too late 😉) open up task manager and close d2 that way, and it won't save your map. Like, if you realize it after you click NM or w/e, you can do that and it normally will work.

coju said:
If you want, you (it's obviously too late 😉) open up task manager and close d2 that way, and it won't save your map. Like, if you realize it after you click NM or w/e, you can do that and it normally will work.

I think you need to end the process, not just shut down

Oooh, thanks for the heads up! I'll have to try that if it ever happens again.

Quick update, hit NM no NDEs so far

I forgot to mention before that I changed my mind and decided to play HC. Also noticed that I am the highest ranked sin LOL

Code:
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level/exp   #of Deaths   #of S/U   #Hours in
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         97.65       20+         N/A        N/A
kestegs         OHM's Law         Sorceress         95          14         1820       125
MercMan         Khal Drogo        Barbarian         94           2         3636       N/A
jevgeni         Madness           Amazon            93         ~40          808       N/A
Kokojo          Bobladin          Paladin           91         ~65         250+      N/A
MizzouFTW       Cecilia           Sorceress         **           0          N/A       N/A
stephan         xxxHAMMERTIMExx   Paladin           **           0          n/a       n/a
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         **         lots          20      45
JoshK           Gambit            Amazon            87           ~          216        58
BlatantlyObviousAriadne           Amazon            85          30+         N/A       ~80
Corax           Defendor          Barbarian         83           0           97       N/A
kimiko          Electra           Sorceress         81         TONS        200+       N/A
reddude         Maegor            Paladin           78           7          127       N/A
coju            Andraste          Sorceress         77           ?           ??       N/A
Fyourics        RiderInTheStorm   Amazon            75           8           65       ~24
DavidD          ArmyofDarkness    Necromancer       75           2           50       N/A
Loomy           Ragnarok_II       Palaidn           61          HC          N/A       N/A
Jocular         SteveBrule        Druid             52           0           17       N/A
Torquil         Ossifier          Necromancer       50           0            0         ?
JCakes          Tiny_Dancer       Assassin          49          HC           12        12
Gahzban         Taz               Barbarian         45           0           21        14
Chaostar        Rhaegar           Druid             45           0           17       N/A
GoldenredDragon Nynialy           Sorceress         29          HC            8         7
kstuart         Wozniacki         Druid             26           0           10       N/A
Hew             PipeLine          Amazon            26           0            8       N/A
jjscud          Lathgertha        Amazon            26           2            2       N/A
Maniachiavelli  UT_Razr           Assasin           20           0            4         2
djmbbandie      Dreamana          Assassin          20           0            0         1
Jason Maher     JohnDoe           Necromancer       19           0            1         4
Delocked        HC*untwinked      Sorc              18           0            0       N/A
Kitteh          Kitteh            Barbarian          1           0                      0

Nice cakes! J!

This thread is on page 2!? . . . Must be time for me to start posting . . .

Conqueror Hector entered Hell three days ago and has been leveling and hunting for gear in The Pits. So far the biggest finds in Hell have come from horking . . . I’ve been horking everything because Hector’s killing speed is a bit slow and he needs all the drops he can get. So far the most noteworthy items he’s horked have been a golden phase blade and a golden sacred armor:

Lightsabre
Phase Blade
One-Hand Damage: 98 to 130
Required Dexterity: 136
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 58
Sword Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x2bef70c5
+187% Enhanced Damage
+10 to Minimum Damage
+30 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-200 lightning damage
Adds 60-120 magic damage
7% Mana stolen per hit
+7 to Light Radius
20% Increased Attack Speed
Ignore Target Defense
25% Lightning Absorb
5% Chance to cast Level 17 Chain Lightning on attack

Templar's Might
Sacred Armor
Defense: 1712
Durability: 30 of 60
Required Strength: 232
Required Level: 74
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0x5425fb9c
+15 to Strength
+14 to Vitality
+46 to Maximum Stamina
+185% Enhanced Defense
+255 Defense vs. Missile
20% Faster Hit Recovery
+2 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)

The Lightsabre was very exciting and a huge improvement over the Hexfire that Hector had been using since NM Andariel. The Templar’s Might was of course a disappointment but it’s at least my first found in HC :dontknow: .

Other exciting finds in Hell have included a Mal Rune at the Countess (my planned endgame weapon was an eth Highland Blade Oath . . . but if a Lo Rune was to drop I suppose I could be persuaded to use a Phase Blade Grief :smug: . . . either way, I still need another rune (Pul or Lo) before I can set the Lightsabre aside. Hector’s Might Mercenary has also gotten a big upgrade in The Pits . . . he’s now using an Insight Thresher . . . instead of an Insight Partizan. I’ve had the runes for Obedience since the end of NM but still haven’t found a nice (or any) elite eth base . . .

So what happened before Hell you ask? Well, in NM (Acts 2-5) Hector supported (hid behind) his Might Mercenary (using an Insight Partizan). From Act 5 Normal through Act 1 NM Hector supported (hid behind) his Prayer Mercenary (using an upped eth Dimoak’s Hew). From Act 2 Normal through Act 4 Normal Hector supported (hid behind) his Prayer Mercenary (using a cubed Savage Lochaber Axe). In Act 1 Normal Hector was total badass who was at least as good as his Mercenary . . .

So bottomline, Hector the HC Concentrate Barbarian has found a Lightsabre and in doing so has become as effective as his Mercenary for the first time since Act 1 Normal and more importantly, now has a way to get through Hell and on with the challenge 👍 .

I hit 90

I added a guy. I'm not going to play him very much and he has no prayer of reaching 99; my goal is really just 90, which would be higher than any other Druid I've ever made. Planning on just making him a Fury wolf; we'll see where he takes me.
Welcome and good luck 👍.

I'll get around to updating...someday =P.

Have since lost track of how many total sets/uniques and the better stuff I am finding is from gambling >_>. Not finding a simple Mal rune from the countess for several levels worth and yet I could find an Ist rune, I...I do not get this game sometimes =_=.

kimiko said:
Welcome and good luck 👍.

I'll get around to updating...someday =P.

Have since lost track of how many total sets/uniques and the better stuff I am finding is from gambling >_>. Not finding a simple Mal rune from the countess for several levels worth and yet I could find an Ist rune, I...I do not get this game sometimes =_=.

I know how that feels. I got 3 ums on my sorc before when i what i wanted was really a lem to make a treachery for my merc.

After the AT round in MFL I think I'll run Nihly for 99 (and Baal also for MFL), and then get back to AT for the grail.
Wow, congrats!

How long in the AT did it take you to get the rest of the way to 98?

Grats zgpmf. You seem to be tearing through levels pretty fast.

You're falling behind kegs!

go go go zgpmf!

Thanks guys,
yeah leveling is going pretty fast when you have good equipment, it took me a little less than 20 mins for 1m of exp on p8 in AT at clvl 97.

Gratz
Is that only char you have ?

Adding myself here as my paladin is my first char since restart, so he is untwinked by default :), I'll write about his adventures and equipment eventually - but right now he's level ** (84-** from hell meph alone) running on 1.13 HC vanilla. I should have him level 90+ soon enough from many more MF runs. Gz on 98 zgpmf!

Just letting everyone know I'm not dead yet. :) Doing some nm Baals before heading into Hell.

LoneWolf has reached Level 29 so far and decided to stop for the night at the Travincal WP. 9 S/U's so far, with my favorites (both having been found in A2) posted below:

Code:
Cathan's Seal 
Ring 
Required Level: 11 
Fingerprint: 0x7b0b7994 
Item Level: 19 
6% Life stolen per hit 
Damage Reduced by 2 Set (2 items): +10 to Strength  

Angelic Halo 
Ring 
Required Level: 12 
Fingerprint: 0xa79cebf8 
Item Level: 18 
+20 to Life 
Replenish Life +6 Set (2 items): +24 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level) Set (3 items): 50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Been doing LK for the past few days. Found some nice charms but nothing really impressive in terms of runes.

Opened GoMule to put some leveling charms on my character and forgot that I still had her in Diablo 2. Lost my lovely charms :banghead:

Retired Dreamana to insert my new untwinked lightning sorc, GloryofLight. The item gods smiled upon her as a Gull dropped in the Cave level 2:jig:. She's been clearing at p8 and is heading for the Harem next. She has multiple versions of Arctic Furs and Hsaru's Iron Heel that weren't counted in the total S/U.

BlatantlyObvious said:
Been doing LK for the past few days. Found some nice charms but nothing really impressive in terms of runes.

Opened GoMule to put some leveling charms on my character and forgot that I still had her in Diablo 2. Lost my lovely charms :banghead:

Actually, the point of this thread is untwinked characters to level 99. So you shouldn't use leveling charms. What are leveling charms anyway? Also, needs moar druid!! And assassins. I already have an untwinked HC druid at level 20, I'll post progress if I make any.

zaphodbrx said:
Actually, the point of this thread is untwinked characters to level 99. So you shouldn't use leveling charms. What are leveling charms anyway? Also, needs moar druid!! And assassins. I already have an untwinked HC druid at level 20, I'll post progress if I make any.

I'm thinking of joining... Was thinking of trapper or windy but can't really decide :)

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98          20+         N/A       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         90         lots         138        47
Dysgenics       Iconoclast        Paladin           **          HC          n/a       n/a
Hanshotfirst    Hector            Barbarian         83          HC          335       N/A
Loomy           Ragnarok_II       Palaidn           76          HC          N/A       N/A
Corax           Bert              Druid             50           0           n/a       n/a
JCakes          Tiny_Dancer       Assassin          49          HC           12        12
LiquidClear     LoneWolf          Druid             29           0            9       n/a
djmbbandie      GloryofLight      Sorceress         25           0            7       N/A

((((the picture was a lie.))))
Exactly. Make them into Guardians and you're 2/7ths into a sept :yes: :winky: 😉 :smile57: :fatsamolian:

There's nothing wrong with muling off some items to help out other characters, I've done that a few times.

I think A trapper or windy druid could do very well, those were serious considerations of mine.

Coju: your pic doesn't work.

kestegs said:
Coju: your pic doesn't work.

QFT.

see what i did there

Eu8Ds.jpg

because every party needs a bard

Currently running Countess to see what I can get. Was doing nm Meph for a HoZ but I was going insane after 4000 runs and nothing. Might just plug on for a while in A2 make the staff when I get bored of Countess, but here's hoping for a Vex from her.

Edit: Just for reference, with ~250mf my chance is ~1:3k

Got me the runes for this:
Code:
Obedience
Giant Thresher
'HelKoThulEthFal'
Two-Hand Damage: 188 to 535
Durability: 41 of 55
Required Dexterity: 112
Required Strength: 150
Required Level: 66
Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x6af78c59
+10 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
+370% Enhanced Damage
+223 Defense
All Resistances +20
Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
Requirements -20%
40% Faster Hit Recovery
-25% Target Defense
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
30% Chance to cast Level 21 Enchant When You Kill an Enemy
-25% to Enemy Fire Resistance
Socketed (5: 5 used)
Lowest roll, but my merc is not complaining. He switched Guillaumes for Tals mask so he should be very happy.
coju said:
You're running the countess with Mf? Hope I read that wrong.
You're running the countess with Mf? Hope I read that wrong.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, he was running NM Mephisto with 250 MF which (at players 5) creates a ~1:3000 chance of a HoZ dropping.

And in related news, 4,000 NM Mephisto runs with a Paladin . . . that's crazy . . . and must have taken an insane amount of time . . .

And in other related news, I found the class specific unique of Hector's dreams yesterday when questing through the Arreat Plateau. I'd already found a HoZ and a Bartuc's so perhaps I was coming due but it still seems very, very, lucky.

@loomy: Good luck at the Countess! Hector found every rune through Ist there . . . except the one he wanted (Pul) . . . may you do better . . . and who knows maybe that HoZ will drop out of nowhere!

Yeah, mf for meph.

@Han: Heh, I got a Pul on the way to Pit run yesterday. Yeah, it took me a long time. Let's just say I watched the entire Stargate Universe series while doing it... Nothing interesting from Countess but xp so far... could maybe cube up a Lem.

Might as well add my guy to the table and harbor a few delusions of grandeur.

After countless more runs I've got up 2 more levels, now sitting at 90. About 2/3 my way to 91 and a +2 Arkaines Valor richer :)

Hammerdin dysg?

Finally made it Trav for my farming.

I need 2 Jah for my dual dreams and a Ber for CoH. Not to mention a Forti on my merc would be nice...
So far the most I've gotten is Io, but that'll change. Takes me ~1min to do a run on p4, but p8 is doable and I skip might/fanat/convic.

coju said:
Hammerdin dysg?

Yeah it's a hammerdin :) much harder than I thought it would be to keep alive! Getting so up close and personal all the time

I've always tried shooting them a few steps away. That way when I run in a couple are already hitting
Totally lost track of the set/unique items as I just try to keep the better one (don't want 5 cathan armors or something :crazyeyes:).

Have not leveled that much yet and as for items, the best are from gambling and very very very few from actual creatures (not sure if it is the mf or the slowness or what, it's just not happening).

Almost want to make a different chara as my sorc cannot find sorc items, mostly pally/barb stuff >_>. Maybe if I play a different one, my luck can change enough that when I go back to the sorc she can find sorc stuff? Seem logical, huh? Maybe, maybe not =X.

Just because, I will put this here too...
Code:
Bitter Horn
Tiara
Defense: 47
Durability: 25 of 25
Fingerprint: 0x93b6efa9
+52 to Life
Damage Reduced by 3
All Resistances +17
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
20% Faster Cast Rate

Cruel Mask
Circlet
Defense: 53
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 72
Item Level: 89
Fingerprint: 0x249fb441
+19 to Strength
+73% Enhanced Defense
+76 to Attack Rating
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
10% Faster Cast Rate
Level 1 Bone Spirit (22/22 Charges)

Nagelring
Ring
Required Level: 7
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x52e99632
+58 to Attack Rating
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Attacker Takes Damage of 3

Gambling with my sorc, the interesting items I shall find :cloud9:.
Did not know that a 2/20 tiara could be gambled and it is only useful to a hammerdin, right? :scratchchin:

Got an @42 Akaran Targe ready for Dream ^^, just need a Jah... I reckon even one Dream could do with all synergies and Convic on until I get the second one, but we'll see...

I'll put my zeaolt in here as well. Once gaurdianed,*if*, will respec to hammerdin methinks. will add to table later

Fixed table.

Update: Hit 90, found Ohm. Have nothing to make a CTA in :'(

Code:
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level/exp   #of Deaths   #of S/U   #Hours in--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98          20+         N/A       N/A
Kokojo          Bobladin          Paladin           91         ~65         250+       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         90         lots         138        47
Dysgenics       Iconoclast        Paladin           90          HC          n/a       n/a
Loomy           Ragnarok_II       Palaidn           90          HC          N/A       N/A
Hanshotfirst    Hector            Barbarian         83          HC          335       N/A
Drewgie         Calvin            Paladin           67          HC          N/A       N/A
Pirape          HULK              Barbarian         62           4          N/A       N/A
Corax           Bert              Druid             50           0          n/a       n/a
LiquidClear     LoneWolf          Druid             29           0            9       n/a
Shintyguy       Frozen_Kitteh     Paladin           27           0          N/A       N/A
djmbbandie      GloryofLight      Sorceress         25           0            7       N/A

Haha, kimiko. That's such a sick Tiara.

Apolon said:
Gratz
Is that only char you have ?

Thanks,
no, I have a separate stash for other chars, though I like making few high lvl chars instead of lots of low lvl chars.

I learnt that running Nihly gives roughly twice as much exp over time as than running Baal. Diablo is somewhere between but closer to Nihly. Actually I have very good maps for both Dia and Nihly, with 4 stable shrines for Dia and 1 stable for Nihly. I only run Dia when I'm low on Full Rejuv pots. Got Jah and green caduceus from Nihly.

gg, zgpmf :)

Sur Ohm 2Mal so far, just slugging along. D3 preordered! There goes $110...
Nice progress!

what are your Nihl times compared to your Baal times? I didn't think experience would be that much better!

kestegs said:
Nice progress!

what are your Nihl times compared to your Baal times? I didn't think experience would be that much better!

yes, next time bring data!

I haven't done any serious time measuring so I'll put it this way:

Best case scenario Baal run: 80k exp in 150(optimistic) sec => 80/150 = 0.53k per sec
Best case scenario Dia run: 51k exp in 60(very optimistic) sec => 51/60 = 0.85k per sec
Worst case scenario Nihl run: LI once in every five(pessimistic) times: 23k exp in 25 sec => 23/25 = 0.92k per sec

-note that this is without exp shrines, and if you add shrines Baal runs are even more behind Nihl and Dia.
-when Nihl is LI (breakable with infinity but still with high LR) I usually S&E, and when running Dia and seal boss is LI I wait for my merc to kill them
-Lister is sometimes LI(unbreakable) and then I have to lure him away and that also takes time, also Bartuc is a real pain with his high LR after breaking his immunity
-I run Nihl with 200FCR pure light Sorc, other options would be Blizzy (but he always has 70% CR and is often unbreakable CI), fire Sorc would kill too many minions before Nihl so there's a big danger coming from his CE
-I'm experiencig very annoying 4-9 sec loading when I S&E after killing Nihl but this is included in my run times above
-one more thing, Tomb Viper's poison clouds are VERY dangerous, I had a few almost instant deaths when going through them

zgpmf said:
I haven't done any serious time measuring so I'll put it this way:

Best case scenario Baal run: 80k exp in 150(optimistic) sec => 80/150 = 0.53k per sec
Best case scenario Dia run: 51k exp in 60(very optimistic) sec => 51/60 = 0.85k per sec
Worst case scenario Nihl run: LI once in every five(pessimistic) times: 23k exp in 25 sec => 23/25 = 0.92k per sec

-note that this is without exp shrines, and if you add shrines Baal runs are even more behind Nihl and Dia.
-when Nihl is LI (breakable with infinity but still with high LR) I usually S&E, and when running Dia and seal boss is LI I wait for my merc to kill them
-Lister is sometimes LI(unbreakable) and then I have to lure him away and that also takes time, also Bartuc is a real pain with his high LR after breaking his immunity
-I run Nihl with 200FCR pure light Sorc, other options would be Blizzy (but he always has 70% CR and is often unbreakable CI), fire Sorc would kill too many minions before Nihl so there's a big danger coming from his CE
-I'm experiencig very annoying 4-9 sec loading when I S&E after killing Nihl but this is included in my run times above
-one more thing, Tomb Viper's poison clouds are VERY dangerous, I had a few almost instant deaths when going through them

I'm assuming that's

P1/P8/P3 for Baal
P8 for Diablo??
P8 for Nihl (and you're going from the waypoint)

Ohomemgrande said:
I'm assuming that's

P1/P8/P3 for Baal
P8 for Diablo??
P8 for Nihl (and you're going from the waypoint)

p1/p8/p3 Baal
p1/p7 Diablo (p7 on Diablo gives max exp)
p8 for Nihl, it takes 6-7 teles to Halls of Vaught and 5-6 to Nihl

I broke down and started to run Meph. He's just too efficient at finding some basic stuff that I need.

Ohomemgrande said:
I broke down and started to run Meph.

Me too. Hector the HC Concentrate Barbarian has gone from clvl 89 to 90.5 at Hell Mephisto sporting 300 MF and still hasn’t found the item he desires (Drac’s Gloves). However, it hasn’t all been a waste of time, the area around Mephisto has been rather rewarding:

One turned out well:

Grief
Phase Blade
'EthTirLoMalRal'
One-Hand Damage: 31 to 35
Required Dexterity: 136
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 59
Sword Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0xf491e48c
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+12 Life after each Kill
37% Increased Attack Speed
Adds +389 Damage
Ignore Target Defense
-25% Target Defense
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
20% Deadly Strike
35% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
1% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
-25% to Enemy Poison Resistance
Socketed (5: 5 used)

The other did not:

String of Ears
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 106
Durability: 8 of 22
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 29
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0x141f27f0
+161% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 15
Damage Reduced by 10%
7% Life stolen per hit
+10 Maximum Durability

Good thing it was the important one that made the grade. And on a side note, who’d have thought I would have had a Grief before a String of Ears? . . Go Go 1.13 . . .

zgpmf said:
I'm experiencig very annoying 4-9 sec loading when I S&E after killing Nihl but this is included in my run times above

A while back I done a bunch of Pindle runs and I think I was getting slowed by S&E and starting new games, someone suggested something to do with the sound. It might have been -ns in game script or something but I recall it helped a ton. I'll try and see if this is the same issue and the same fix.

HanShotFirst said:
Good thing it was the important one that made the grade. And on a side note, who’d have thought I would have had a Grief before a String of Ears? . . Go Go 1.13 . . .

LOL. I was still wearing a yellow light belt when I made Infinity :crazyeyes:

Good times!

zgpmf said:
don´t know how it is in pc world but in macs it makes real difference if you remove all screenshots from d2 directory and unused characters from save directory away. i wish i would have known this before i made 5000 pindle runs back then.

i just readed whole thread. looks very nice challenge. very surprising how fast zgpmf has been.

I am going to begin a walkthrough. Not sure what character yet (Probably Wind Druid or a Sorceress)
Hope to be up the list in time to come. :)

Another level, still looking for gear.

Edit: Almost forgot, I made a HotO and CtA. 4BO! I usually get 1 or 2BO. :)

I decided to try to do this. I figure I won't finish before Diablo III absorbs my soul. But I can always keep diablo II on my laptop and play it inbetween classes and work on her throughout the years.

I decided to go with a sorceress (named Angelin) due to her inate ability to Teleport. Currently she is level 23 (so high I know). And she is in Act II. I am taking a picture of her on the character select every time she levels so I have a history of her development. She is currently a fireball sorc but I plan on respecing into Blizzard/Nova once I get to a higher level.

Couple of Questions.

1. Where are the best places to MF the following items: Tarnhelm, Harlequin Cresist, Maras, Archnids Mesh (SoJ is off of NM Andy, right? If so, How many runs on average should I be expecting to get one Soj)
2. Can you collect essences to get infinite respecs like online? If so that changes some of my plans.
3. I hear talk about having stable racks. Can someone explain this to me. I think it means since single player has stable maps, the item generation seeds are locked in from game to game. If you don't do anything to change the seed (Like attacking, I'm not sure if teleporting changes it) items from chest and racks will remain the same base item from game to game.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, my first unique drop happened off of an Andariel run. This boosts my MF from 6 to 24!

Jah (mentioned before)
Lo
Ber

3 deaths slowed me down a bit but I still made some progress.
I already had -ns command but I think deleting some chars helped a bit, thanks for advices guys.

Ouch, deaths at those levels must suck a lot.

my frostie paladin is making good but slow progress due to lack of game time. Picked up a rare hammer at beginning of NM that really increased my kill speed as a pose to the flail I had. My moron now has insight which is nice but deciding which merc now is the issue.

Prayer for 2*healing - I am HC after all
Might for increased dmg?

Hmmmm

Welcome pringle, and good luck!

Made it up to level 96, all from p8 AT runs. Found some decent stuff but nothing terribly useful. Still at least a Sur short of making an Infinity. Why does the game hate me so much? It's really depressing to be quite honest. I'd like to run baal for the MFL next weekend, guess I'll hit up the LK. Tried every rune spot in the game and can't get good runes, maybe I should run Nil too :p

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98.2       20+         N/A       N/A
kestegs         OHM's Law         Sorceress         96          16         1820       165
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         92         lots         750       N/A
Loomy           Ragnarok_II       Palaidn           92          HC          N/A       N/A
Kokojo          Bobladin          Paladin           91         ~65         250+       N/A
Dysgenics       Iconoclast        Paladin           90          HC          n/a       n/a
Hanshotfirst    Hector            Barbarian         90          HC         1301       N/A
Drewgie         Calvin            Paladin           67          HC          N/A       N/A
Pirape          HULK              Barbarian         62           4          N/A       N/A
Corax           Bert              Druid             50           0          n/a       n/a
Shintyguy       Frozen_Kitteh     Paladin           51           HC          N/A       N/A

Pringle, I believe you're spot on for the stable rack thing. I'm not sure if teleport was ever determined to have an effect or not, but certainly covering more map space (by teleport) will change the rack, I think. Harly is pretty easy to get from hell andy, arachs from meph (took me 2k for that, but it should only take like 1100 or something depending on your mf). You're right about soj, and tarnhelm probably isn't worth spending your time to find it. You're also right about the essences. Good luck 👍

Pringlesman said:
Couple of Questions.

2. Can you collect essences to get infinite respecs like online? If so that changes some of my plans.

3. I hear talk about having stable racks. Can someone explain this to me. I think it means since single player has stable maps, the item generation seeds are locked in from game to game. If you don't do anything to change the seed (Like attacking, I'm not sure if teleporting changes it) items from chest and racks will remain the same base item from game to game.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, my first unique drop happened off of an Andariel run. This boosts my MF from 6 to 24!

2. Yes

3. I am wondering about this too.
I read something about this somewhere here, that people were getting tal rashas guardianship off racks stuck to lacquered plate.

I've noticed racks often offer the same items,(I play single player, same seed usually).
So you could go around to find a rack which is there every game, say for instance the LK racks, reset until you get a drop you want and keep starting a game just to go check that rack.
all this to get the item you want faster.

Would this be possible?
Could someone shine some light on this?
It must have been tested out before :)

Also, I am running an untwinked sorceress, currently at 91, i started up with this in mid february.
Its my only character above level1, so its most certainly untwinked :D

That would make me a candidate for this thing?
(though I kinda ain't in a rush to reach 99, just 93 :D )

^I forgot to calrify that it isn't necessarily constant to a given map, unless you follow the same routes each time. If you had 4 different racks, the items you would find would vary greatly depending on the order you pop them, the speed of your running, as well as where you run, etc. I also read that summoning a minion resets tehma ll, too. So if you ahve a great map, it might be worth testing out summoning one or more mininos to see if it changes the racks to what you prefer.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all of this is eplained relatively well in repusz (username correct?) 1.07 guide.
An easy way of testing this is to use racks on the 5th flow of the tower cellar, because you can get to them in jsut a few teleports frm that entrance, and so you can test the effects of slight deviatinos of opening them and stuff.
Well, here's the link to the guide:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?472485-Repusz-s-1-07-Guide-(repost)

pharphis said:
^I forgot to calrify that it isn't necessarily constant to a given map, unless you follow the same routes each time. If you had 4 different racks, the items you would find would vary greatly depending on the order you pop them, the speed of your running, as well as where you run, etc. I also read that summoning a minion resets tehma ll, too. So if you ahve a great map, it might be worth testing out summoning one or more mininos to see if it changes the racks to what you prefer.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all of this is eplained relatively well in repusz (username correct?) 1.07 guide.
An easy way of testing this is to use racks on the 5th flow of the tower cellar, because you can get to them in jsut a few teleports frm that entrance, and so you can test the effects of slight deviatinos of opening them and stuff.
Well, here's the link to the guide:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?472485-Repusz-s-1-07-Guide-(repost)

Thanks for the input pharphis. Seems like a troublesomething. 1000 runs to find your item.. In some cases it might be worth it.

I still lack so much items, its better to run lv85+ areas or bosses for now atleast :)

Yeah, if you're looking for some of the bigger most useful items like halequins or arachs, I would hit up the bosses. The rack running is usually most applicable to 1.07 though simply because it's the only way to get many of the items. I think msot people in 1.13 use them only if they're looking for a good base for something, like a pally shield with res or some threshers or I don't know :p
pharphis said:
Yeah, if you're looking for some of the bigger most useful items like halequins or arachs, I would hit up the bosses. The rack running is usually most applicable to 1.07 though simply because it's the only way to get many of the items. I think msot people in 1.13 use them only if they're looking for a good base for something, like a pally shield with res or some threshers or I don't know :p
Yea, that's pretty accurate. You can also change the racks drop by spawning a hydra, and the monster sobs near a rack will also affect it.

I never knew about the hydra one. I guess that makes it doable for sorcs, then.

Thanks, I'm currently at 57. I need to find a 2 socketed shield so I can make a splendor.

Current gear
Helm: Lore Circlet
Weapon: Razorswitch
Armor: 32% Skin of the Vipermagi
Belt: Gold Wrap
Gloves: 20 MF rare gloves
Boots: 23 MF rare boots
Ring: 24% Nagel Ring
Ring: 10% FCR rare ring
Amulet:
Switch Weapon: Blade of Ali Baba with 2x -15% requirement jewels
Switch Shield: Milabrega's Shield
So far I've done 200 NM andariel runs (found 5 unique rings). I'm going to call it quits on that for awhile while I finish up nightmare. Then I will go back and get my 2 Stone of Jordans.

Decided to add in my Sorc now that she is level 80 and in hell.

My plan was to get to level 75 and go back and run ANdariel ad nauseum until I got 2x SOJs then go to Hell difficulty. When I beat Nightmare I didn't feel like running her. So I respeced into pure lightning. I am loving it. Found a 4 socketed sword which allowed me to switch from Razorswitch to a Spirit longsword and a wall of eyes I happened to have. Eventually found a 2 socketed Shield and made a Splendor in it. And then I started to run Hell Countess. I was getting ~55 second runs. And countess's room tended to have lots of Archers in it. SO I rerolled a few times and got a map that averaged 45 seconds. And most importantly her room didn't spawn light immune archers all that often. So It was much easier to survive. I started countess at 69 or 70. I ran it until 80. At one point she drops a 1 sorc resist all amulet. Which is an upgrade over the eye of etilich I have been wearing. One of her minions dropped a white Monarch about level 77. Which luckly got 4 sockets using the cube recipie. It took 8 or so sets of spirit runes to get a 35% fcr spirit. But since I did run COuntess a couple hundred times this was not an issue. Was eventually able to cube up to a vex rune. Went to Normal cows to find a flail. Found an ethreal one that got 4 sockets on the first try. In went KoVexPulThul and out came a pimp 36% Hoto. Shopped around a bit and bought a 3 socket short bow to make Edge into. Rings only cost 42,500 to gamble now. Randomly found an Occy, Lightsaber, and Nature's Peace.

Is the "wait to do ancients till the very end" a viable strategy? At 80k XP per run, that would save you some 500 runs. And if so where does one level instead? Nithalk seems dangerous. Chaos Sanctuary and Ancient Tombs? I think chaos sanctuary has mobs with either light, cold, or fire resistance, but it's been so long since I've played diablo II I don't remember 100%. It seems like this would require an infinity to do properly. But finding that many Bers is going to suck.

Gear (MFgear/survival gear)
Armor: 32% Vipermagi
Helm: 36% Tarn Helm
Boots: 22MF rare boots/Sanders
Gloves: 23MF rare gloves/Bloodfist
Belt:Goldwrap/Bladebuckle
Ring1:24% Nagel Ring
Ring2:23% Nagel Ring/10FCR-30 ManaRare ring
Amulet: 1 sorc, 10 resist all, 14 dex rare amulet
Weapon: 36% Ethreal Hoto
Shield: 35% Spirit SHield
Weapon2: Blade of Ali-Baba with 2x -15% requirement jewels
Shield2: Rhyme Bone Shield

I found trang-oul gloves that I will wear when my Vipermagi becomes a chain of honor (Haven't decided what to put it in yet).

253 MF when MFed out.

Stats
Strength 156
Dex Base
Vit Rest
Energy Base

Skills
Fire
1 Warmth

Light
20 Charged Bolt
20 Lightning
20 Chain Lightning
20 Lightning Mastery
4 Nova
1 Telekenisis
1 Teleport

Now I should either complete hell difficulty and farm Mephisto for an Archanids/H-Crest. Or go back and do Andariel until she gives me my rings.

Pringlesman said:
Is the "wait to do ancients till the very end" a viable strategy? At 80k XP per run, that would save you some 500 runs. And if so where does one level instead? Nithalk seems dangerous. Chaos Sanctuary and Ancient Tombs? I think chaos sanctuary has mobs with either light, cold, or fire resistance, but it's been so long since I've played diablo II I don't remember 100%. It seems like this would require an infinity to do properly. But finding that many Bers is going to suck.

The problem is that as you reach higher levels you get hit with steeper and steeper experience penalties, so, you won’t always be able to get 80,000 experience at Hell Andariel (for example my level 91 Barbarian only gets 5,759 experience from a Players 8 Hell Andariel). So, while you get the same experience from the Hell Ancients regardless of character level, it is much easier to get the same amount of experience elsewhere at lower levels (so waiting until character level 98 to kill Hell Ancients would be beneficial if you can find other places to level). Good places to level could include area level 85 areas (yes, including the Ancient Tunnels and Chaos Sanctuary). Infinity of course would make running those areas so much easier . . . but isn’t necessary . . . ask Kestegs. If you want to find the runes for Infinity, using a Sorceress, my suggestion would be to run the Lower Kurast super chests at Players 7 (as the chance of a Sur Rune dropping is ‘pretty good’ . . . I’d guess you could get four Sur Runes in a week or two depending on how much you play . . . individual results may vary . . . ). Best of luck and as others have said, welcome to the Forums! 👋

HanShotFirst said:
The problem is that as you reach higher levels you get hit with steeper and steeper experience penalties, so, you won’t always be able to get 80,000 experience at Hell Andariel (for example my level 91 Barbarian only gets 5,759 experience from a Players 8 Hell Andariel). So, while you get the same experience from the Hell Ancients regardless of character level, it is much easier to get the same amount of experience elsewhere at lower levels (so waiting until character level 98 to kill Hell Ancients would be beneficial if you can find other places to level). Good places to level could include area level 85 areas (yes, including the Ancient Tunnels and Chaos Sanctuary). Infinity of course would make running those areas so much easier . . . but isn’t necessary . . . ask Kestegs. If you want to find the runes for Infinity, using a Sorceress, my suggestion would be to run the Lower Kurast super chests at Players 7 (as the chance of a Sur Rune dropping is ‘pretty good’ . . . I’d guess you could get four Sur Runes in a week or two depending on how much you play . . . individual results may vary . . . ). Best of luck and as others have said, welcome to the Forums! 👋

I thought someone commented that the XP/Second was better in the chaos sanctuary and Nithalk compared to baal. (I think it was in this thread).

If that is the case, what is a really solid build for a chaos sanctuary Sorc. I ran CS all the itme on the realms with a Faith Zon and I loved the area. (eventually had to quit due to lag spikes caused by my hellfire torch/other general B.net problems) Now that Oblivion Knights don't have access to Iron Maiden a Shaftstop/Gaze/Infinity Holy Freeze should be able to tank well enough for a fully synergised Lightning to mow through the area. This is what I'm thinking of using.

Goals: 2k+ Life with BO, Quick CS run time, Max Resist, 117%FCR for lightning breakpoint

Skills
20 Charged Bolt
20 Lightning
20 Chain Lightning
20 Nova
20 Lightning Mastery
1 Warmth
1 Telekenis
1 Teleport
1 Static Field
104 SKill points. Finishes at 92. Haven't decided where to put the final 7 points yet

Mercenary- Holy Freeze
Weapon: Infinity (What is the best base to make this out of?)
Armor: Shaftstop. Upgrade to Leviathan if I find one (Should I go for a fotitude?)
Helm: Vampire Gaze.

Gear
Helm: Harliquin Crest socketed with a Um or Ber
Weapon: Hoto
Armor: Chains of Honor (haven't decided what base a sorc looks best in)
Shield: Spirit Monarch
Belt: Archnid's Mesh
Gloves: Trang Ouls
Boots: Sandstorm Trek
Switch: CTA/Spirit
Ammy/Ring1/RIng2 Depends

HRs needed for all my missing gear 1x Ohm, 2x Ist, 2x UM, 3x Ber

Just with the base gear I get Max Cold/Poison. I need 9 light resist and 44 Fire Resist to max everything in hell. I have some options on how to do that.

I have to get atleast 10 FCR from one of the two jewelry slots slots.
Maras vs Rare Amulet: A maras gives at least 20 all resist. So I would still require 24 Fire Resist from other sorces. Mara's also gives me the largest possible Battle Orders. But I lose out of 1 to all skills from a ring slot if I go with a Maras. But finding a 2sorc/10FCR/Resist Amulet sounds like a pain. (what level can you start gambling +2 skills amulets?)

Rare Ring vs SoJ: Lets me wear a maras instead of a rare amulet. Which nets me a +1 Battle Orders. If I'm wearing the worst possible Maras my only requirements from a rare ring would be 10FCR/24 fire resist. Which shouldn't be impossible to find. I lose out on a little damage this way and 25% of my mana this way.

UM vs Ber Shako: Ber gives me 8% PDR. Which is a stat I am completly lacking in. But Bers are a pain in the *** to find. And I already have to find 3 other Bers for the rest of my gear. (I am never going to get out of Lower Kurast)

Life/Resist Charms: This can make up for anything I am a few points shy on. I would like to find some FHRf/Life charms to make up for me only have 20FHR in the entire build.

I really miss having a torch/anni. That 20-40 resist all would have made this so much easier.

Wellback to NM Andariel running. According to my count I'm up to 450 runs. I've found 10 unique rings, 5 unique amulets, and a Tals Amulet thus far.

As I recall Kimppi had some numbers for the effectiveness of the Chaos Sanctuary vs. Nihlathak vs. Baal . . . and of course for his character (a Hammerdin) the Chaos Sanctuary made the most sense. My personal opinion is that the best character for CS is a Hammerdin with Enigma . . . the second best a Lightning Sorceress with Infinity (and skills as you planned out). If choosing between the two and playing untwinked a Lightning Sorceress with Infinity would probably be easiest to achieve as you ‘only’ to pop four Surs from LK. So, all in all, I’d say you have a very reasonable and more importantly achievable character and leveling strategy.

Pringlesman said:
Life/Resist Charms: This can make up for anything I am a few points shy on. I would like to find some FHRf/Life charms to make up for me only have 20FHR in the entire build.

Spirit Monarch has 55 FHR doesn't it?

LiquidClear said:
Spirit Monarch has 55 FHR doesn't it?

Hot diggity damn! Looks like I hit the 8 frame breakpoint.

Added my barb, just made him tonight, my goal is to get to level 99 before Diablo 3 comes out. We shall see how that goes.

Still chugging along trying to get some gear...
Re: My untwinked level 99 progress thread

What does S/U mean?

Set/uniques.

I've started running Lower Kurast in an attempt to get some High Runes. Boy talk about entertaining :Rollseyes:

In the process I have found 7 skillers. (1 warcry, 1 barb combat skills, 2 offensive auras (one with +3 max damage, the other with 13 life.), 1 trap, 2 shaddow deciples. I've also found a +4 resist all small charm and a few mediocre life small charms.

What is the chance of a small charm from lower kurast chest of having +life (Vita suffux). Same thing with grand charms and having +Skill. I seem to recall NM travnical GC having a 1/11 chance of having +skill.

Use this calculator if you want to find chances of any given affix.

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98.2       20+         N/A        N/A
kestegs         OHM's Law         Sorceress         96          16         1820       165
Loomy           Ragnarok_II       Palaidn           93          HC          N/A       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         92         lots         750       N/A
Hanshotfirst    Hector            Barbarian         90          HC         1301       N/A
Pringlesman     Angelin           Sorceress         80         TONS         N/A       N/A
Dudzy           Ninefingers       Barbarian         37         Lots           7       N/A  
Shintyguy       Frozen_Kitteh     Paladin           51           HC         N/A       N/A

Ohm
Cham

5-6 more deaths slowed me down a lot but I won't give up. Funny thing is that I still have more exp than I would get from Baal in the same time frame. Currently I'm running Baal for MFL and as expected I need double time for the same amount of exp I would get from Nihl.
Man, you'd really have good progress without those deaths! Still good work!

What kills you usually?

Accidental teleports into multiple poison clouds from those pesky vipers, man I hate them, and one death was due to Nihl's CE, I was amped, and booom..... Well, I usually retrive my body without dying but last time I died 3 times before I finally picked up body and that resulted in 18M of exp lost. :(

If I hadn't died even once I would be on more than 50% now.

Wow, you're really going strong man. Even with those deaths.

I was hoping you'd be moving at a slower pace so i could try and get a bit of competition with my pally. But no chance of that happening this way. Not to mention i'm running Baal with a different char now, whereas you use your sorc for pretty much everything.

Anyway, GL and try staying alive. That really makes it easier to get to 99 :).

Thanks,
I if it was summer I'd be over with this in about two weeks, now I can only play max 1-2 hours per day due to college stuff. I think I won't be playing at all in next two weeks or so.

Light Sorc can easily own Baal, Dia and Nihl, three main "go for lvl99" targets, I mostly run Nihl for powerleveling, ocasionally Dia for FullRejuvs and Baal for MFL/MFO.

When I finish this Sorc I'll try to get my Fury Druid to 99 (now he is 86), he is in Hell but still didn't kill Ancients (I'll leave them for last 40M on 98->99). That should be fun (he isn't untwinked though).

And your pally is 98, have you saved the Ancients for the end ?

My pally is only 97. Had a few deaths myself, otherwise i'd be very close to 98. My estimation is that i've lost between 50 and 60M exp with that (no body pickup). I do have the ancients saved so that'll give me a nice boost for the final part. The intention is to finish with them so there's no chance of losing that exp with another death.

I hope you do continue after the sorc. Seeing a fury druid running for 99 should be fun. Are you planning on running Nihlathak with him too? Personally i too am already thinking of builds to run for another 99-er. Only problem is there's so many options and so little time. Not to mention i still got a long ways to go with the current character. Maybe i should opt for running more than one char simultaniously so i don't have to leave anyone behind ;). That would take considerably more time though.

Well ,this is nice. Figured I'll hop in with my Trapsin (Sins sure is underrepresented here, I tot barbs will be rare like Zod in this race, guess what :whistling:)

How do I post my char to the table? Quoting messes up the ordering. *Waiting for a kind soul (no, not gloams 😉)*

KiraZ/Natalya/Assassin/61/HC/NA/NA (Tbh, it's better if someone can teach me how to do it so that I can edit tables myself or even create one in the future, or do I miss any stickies teaching this?)

And just wondering, is it really easier to create Infinity/Enigma/COH/CTA/you-get-the-idea-runewords from scratch before reaching 99? From the posts it seems that everyone rolls these RW left right and center. This makes the journey that much daunting :scratchchin:

zgpmf said:
Accidental teleports into multiple poison clouds from those pesky vipers, man I hate them, and one death was due to Nihl's CE, I was amped, and booom..... Well, I usually retrive my body without dying but last time I died 3 times before I finally picked up body and that resulted in 18M of exp lost. :(

If I hadn't died even once I would be on more than 50% now.

What's your method for running Nihl? Do you just kill him or do you also clear out his group of friends? Is there a particular location you go to? Also, do you have a "body retrieval kit" in your stash?

I took my sorc down to Nihl last night for the first time as I finally found a Skin of the Vipermagi so I was able to finally break the 105% BP. I'm still trying to figure out the best way (only did about 10 runs max) but I can see where the CE could be a problem. LE Nihl seems more dangerous.

I'll probably play around a bit more today.

Current gear:

Harlequin Crest
+1 sorc ammy
Vipermagi
Trang's Gloves
Arachnid's Mesh
War Travelers (maybe I should put on some boots with resists though)
2 rings with +10% FCR

Crescent Moon + Spirit Shield
CTA + Spirit Shield on switch

Merc has Infinity in an eth Thresher and Fortitude with some sort of leaching helm

KiraZ said:
How do I post my char to the table? Quoting messes up the ordering. *Waiting for a kind soul (no, not gloams 😉)*

You quote the last post with the table. Remove the quote tags and insert your char. Using the preview button you can see if the table is looking good. Another option which i've heard people use is to copy the table to notepad or something similar and get it right there, before copying it back.

KiraZ said:
And just wondering, is it really easier to create Infinity/Enigma/COH/CTA/you-get-the-idea-runewords from scratch before reaching 99? From the posts it seems that everyone rolls these RW left right and center. This makes the journey that much daunting :scratchchin:

With the appearance of the 1.13 patch highend RW's are much easier to find. As they make the journey to 99 much, much faster and easier it is worth taking some time for it. You won't be getting much/any XP for a little while, while running LK or Trav, but once you get those RW's it greatly speeds up your lvling. This means you'll make of for the lost time in no time.
So in short: It's a really good idea to try getting those RW's before starting any real lvling.

KiraZ said:
Well ,this is nice. Figured I'll hop in with my Trapsin (Sins sure is underrepresented here, I tot barbs will be rare like Zod in this race, guess what :whistling:)

KiraZ/Natalya/Assassin/61/HC/NA/NA (Tbh, it's better if someone can teach me how to do it so that I can edit tables myself or even create one in the future, or do I miss any stickies teaching this?)

The easiest way I've found to update any tables here is to copy the table to Notepad and then when you make your post to just paset it between the code tags (remove spaces) [ code ][ /code ]

If you just quote directly, you need to make sure you remove the quote tags from the previous post.

Regarding gear, I think that you want to collect gear in an orderly manner but as fast as you can. I decided that I would collect runes first so I started running LK at level 70 or so and after 20 hours of that, had enough runes for Infinity, CTA, Fortitude, and Crescent Moon which were the 4 main runewords that I wanted. I also collected enough gems and crafting runes that I'll be able to try and get a nice caster amulet without spending too much additional time collecting ingredients.

Therefore, if it will be faster to collect runes for Enigma or Infinity before you run Meph (because it will speed up your Meph runs), that's probably what you want to do. However, it may be faster to run for basic gear first and then try to rune hunt.

Then again, you might just want to mix things up to keep things interesting.

YES,YES,YES!!! :crazy: (*goes into hiding to play more D2*)

Is the same principle used for creating the table? (ie: for char build lists that I so often see)

Yeah, I plan to farm some runes before equips simply because those areas are earlier than other popular MF hotspots. Another quick question though. In what order should I make these RW, provided I'm HC LS/DS/FB Sin: Infinity, CTA, CoH (I read enough about ppl teleing and dying to EF ES *insert your favorite aura here* boss packs to fear using Enigma)? For now I lean towards CTA>Infi>CoH. Is it just as simple as "assemble any runewords whenever you found the runes"?
Not leveling so much as I have pulled too many stupid mistakes when teleporting =_=. Almost at level 87 when I died so much I was at zero experience after getting to 86 >_>. At least I have finally been able to do some quicker LK runs, just not finding much besides gems/jewels.

Maybe I can level once or twice more before the summer, just gotta see how the ole motivation is :nod:.

Cyrax said:
My pally is only 97. Had a few deaths myself, otherwise i'd be very close to 98. My estimation is that i've lost between 50 and 60M exp with that (no body pickup). I do have the ancients saved so that'll give me a nice boost for the final part. The intention is to finish with them so there's no chance of losing that exp with another death.

I hope you do continue after the sorc. Seeing a fury druid running for 99 should be fun. Are you planning on running Nihlathak with him too? Personally i too am already thinking of builds to run for another 99-er. Only problem is there's so many options and so little time. Not to mention i still got a long ways to go with the current character. Maybe i should opt for running more than one char simultaniously so i don't have to leave anyone behind ;). That would take considerably more time though.

Running Nihl is only worth when you are 98, and only with tele chars, running past those Vipers would be like playing with hungry lions. :)
I am also considering a Berserker, that would also be fun and probably faster.

Ohomemgrande said:
What's your method for running Nihl? Do you just kill him or do you also clear out his group of friends? Is there a particular location you go to? Also, do you have a "body retrieval kit" in your stash?

I fast tele right next to his group and spam static field/lightning until he dies, so yeah, most of his "minons" die in meantime.
I usually go as closer as possible to his pack but it depends on how many other monsters are around.
No, but I regret that every single time I die. :)

I finally bothered to do a serious update in the form of a Conqueror Thread (found here). Guess I might as well update the table too . . .

I was reading this thread and completely forgot to update. Cecilia, my ** sorc has died long ago. Early in the Summer? I am not even sure. Its been so long since I've even thought of her. Ha!

Could someone please update the table for me, please?

Mizzou: That's sad to hear. What did her die to? Btw, I updated the table for your char and also updated mine.Also, can we have sort of HC graveyard code list for ppl dying while in this journey? Seems sad to see names and efforts disappearing after a single death.

Currently in A5 NM. She's my first Destroyer and definitely the one going this far. Since I didn't have any HC exp in NM, naturally she had many NDEs. The worst is when she ran down Kurast side areas to meet Scarab and Viper champion boss packs on doorstep, TWICE. Can't CoS, can't MB (Scarab is pain), and prayed that Vipers don't release gas. Can't Blizzard implement a no-spawn zone near entrance or sth?!? :rant:Also, now Bloody Foothills is literally bloody. Quill rats and burning archers EVERYWHERE. I remembered smiling at those A1 monsters until a few of arrows struck my sin. Ouchie. Afterwards, she literally spammed CoS every centimetre of the way until I met Shenk. If this persists, I can't see how I can make a Conqueror, I really can't. :weep:
Sorry to hear about the loss!

I don't think the vipers do the poison cloud until hell, but can't remember.

I've got no problem with leaving the entries in the table or whatever, just denote that they are dead.

If I remember right, pindle killed her.

Mah first Conqueror!!!! :party::party::party:
Thanks guys for the advices. She progressed very nicely. The only hiccup was NM Ancients which took 83 mins to kill. Now march on towards Hell!! :cloud9:

KiraZ grats on your first Conqueror. :D

Anyway, I'm still running Baal for MFL, I'll switch back to Nihl after I win this MF... I mean...after this MFL ends. :p

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98.44       20+         N/A       N/A
Loomy           Ragnarok_II       Palaidn           93          HC          N/A       N/A
Hanshotfirst    Hector            Barbarian         93          HC         1541       N/A
kimiko          Electra           Sorceress         86         TONS         N/A       N/A
Pringlesman     Angelin           Sorceress         80         TONS         N/A       N/A
KiraZ           Natalya           Assassin          76          HC          N/A       N/A
Dudzy           Ninefingers       Barbarian         37         Lots           7       N/A  
Shintyguy       Frozen_Kitteh     Paladin           51           HC         N/A       N/A

Quick update before I study for my econs paper. Thankfully still alive and kicking @Pit. Figured will stay here a while, at least until that elusive Shako drop. Otherwise I won't have enough firepower to carry me to the next checkpoint in LK.

Also waded through the pages to find the HC-ers who have died. What can I say, procrastination has no limit :whistling:

Edit: currently leads the way for D2X class. Heh, not bad.

Here I return to the forum and I see you guys have started something completely awesome. This idea has always appealed to me and I`m willing to give it a go, although it will be 10 years before I finish or even more likely deeds in the next couple of days. My druid will very likely be a bear, just to feel special, but we`ll see what items drop before making such huge commitments. Starting out as a Fire Druid and re-spec mid NM when hopefully some equipment has dropped.

Thomh!

*Tackles*

*Gets rope*

Stay!

I've realized that I don't have a clvl > 90 char of my favorite class, so maybe this gives me enough motivation to make one. My previous Matriarchs have been using "shared" gear that is now on other chars and it would feel wrong and a bit cheesy to fire them up again now, so I guess untwinked is the way to go.

I'm starting out as a Poison zon and will probably go for FA as backup. Should be fun.

Hector has reached Level 94!

Most of the leveling was done in The Pits, the rest, at Nihlathak. No near deaths to report but there were some good drops. A Gladiator’s Bane dropped (which was something I’d wanted to try on the mercenary at Nihlathak) and it turned out to be eth :crazyeyes: . Pretty amazing luck but not too helpful as it turned out . . . Players 8 Nihlathak and company still kill the merc pretty regularly despite the Gladiator’s Bane and a 3x Sol Rune helm . . . oh well . . . maybe it would be useful on an Act 3 mercenary. Hector also found his second high rune, a P8 Ohm Rune that dropped in The Pits (no plans for it at present).

It appears that the plan for leveling at clvl 94 is going to be to continue to run The Pits (as the experience there still seems to be about 2x as great per minute as at Nihlathak). Too bad, because The Pits is getting BORING . . .

P.S. Where’d you go Loomy? I thought I’d be chasing you forever. You didn’t stop did you? I sure hope not!

I made it to level 93. How exciting.

My original plan of going some kind of bear build is not going to happen as I haven`t found anything other than bloodfists, String of Ears and Goblin Toe which even resembles hell worthwhile equipment. Started out as a Fire Druid and as usual Fissure decimated Normal and the first three acts of NM, until I re-speced into a Windy as I would much rather run Pits in Hell than doing the usual NM Meph into NM Baal. Given the relatively poor items I had found at the time, Cyclone Armor and Oak Sage would be extremely helpful running Pits, so the choice was easy enough.

Strangely enough I haven`t foind a single normal sword with 4os to make spirit yet, so I run around with a Suicide Branch, "Splendor" Bone Shield, "Lore" Chicken hat with +2 `Nado, +3 elemental amulet, two nagelrings, "Stealt" BP and some underwhelming gloves, boots and belt with resistances and life. Fluffy is more than capable of running Pits on /p3 without having too much difficulty, although the runs are far from fast.

Good progress everyone :nod:

I made it to about 96.3 running baal for the MFL. Got pretty bored of it though.

So I had my druid I was doing, but a while back I got bored of him and created a Frenzy Barb instead. Wilbur is level 83 in a3 hell with some questionable gear. I made him a Lawbringer yesterday and have the runes for Oath, but have been unable to find him a base so far. The rest of his gear consists of things like Tal's helm, Angelic Ring/Ammy, Ravenfrost, 3 piece Sigon (Boots, Belt, Gloves), and a rare 290 ED 30 IAS Cryptic Sword. I'm entering him in AT's in the MFO, so I thought I'd finally add him to this table so I can see his progress after the MFO is over. If I can find a nice Oath base, he should start to actually kill things without taking all day!

A few progress notes for Silya the Poison Hybridzon:

Normal

Act 1: Ran Countess, made RalRalRal Long Bow.
Act 3: Gambled Coral Circlet of Luck. Had a NDE with Mephisto's Orb of Death despite pre-buffing with Thawing Potions. Worst Mephisto /p8 quest drop ever - only Death's Sword, gems and other non-magical crap.
Act 4: Cubed a Shimmering Amulet of Fortune (4/25). Izual skill points went into Pierce, after that killing got really efficient. Ran into the Ignore Merc bug (pun intended) when fighting Seal Bosses. Not good. Diablo went down quickly at /p3, did not even use all healing potions, no rejuvs. A random boss dropped Death Collar:

Code:
Death Collar 
Amulet 
Required Level: 22 
Fingerprint: 0xed6ad02f 
Item Level: 30 
+1 to Passive and Magic Skills (Amazon Only) 
+19 to Attack Rating 
+6 to Dexterity 
+54 to Life 
Cold Resist +28% 
Damage Reduced by 2

Act 5: Eldritch runs until level 41, found nothing particularly useful. Baal cloned himself immediately and took a while to kill, but Lister was much worse. The Poison Javelins could only stop their regeneration, so all damage had to be done by the merc.

NM

Act 1: Moved quickly on to the Countess, ran her until level 51. A few useful S/Us dropped, such as Stormstrike and Nokozan Relic. Also found +2 bow / 20 MF gloves, nice. Furthermore, a 4os Partizan dropped which was immediately turned into an Insight. Using Freezing Arrow mostly for crowd control and PJ/merc for the killing. Pretty slow against Zombies and the like, but still bearable at /p8. Currently 356% MF on merc kills.

Act 2: Freezing Arrow is starting to kill things on its own. PJ/FA allow for funny strategies, such as poisoning a crowd of skeletons, then freezing them and waiting for them to blow up and shatter like a time bomb. Or, poisoning a row of beetles in the Maggot Lair, then freezing the first one so that all his buddies wait behind him choking to death. Ran Beetleburst until level 58, most notable drop from the gang was a unique Claymore and a rare Ballista - why could it not have been the other way around? Fast forward through Arcane Sanctuary (first path was a hit) and the True Tomb. /p1 Duriel dropped a grand total of 3 exceptional unique items, of which one seems rather useful (Langer Briser), plus two more uniques.

Act 3: Ignore Merc bug again, in the Flayer Dungeon, not good. Notable find in the Jungle: Iron Pelt (ethereal). 4 PTopaz armor completed, 427% MF on merc kills now. No incidents to report from the temple fights, FA is awesome crowd control in NM. A few Council runs gave Whistan's Guard. In the Durance of Hate, a +28 Chromatic Amulet and a Fal rune dropped, the highest so far. Mephisto was moat tricked and dropped Kuko Shakaku (!). With its piercing attack mod, Silya now has 92% chance to pierce with FA, and 99% if involving Death Collar.

I've finally gotten far enough that I might actually finish this, so I'll add her to the table. Beric just made it to level 90, and is pretty much a cookie-cutter lightning sorc. At the moment, she's wearing HoTo (+38), SotVM (+31), Lidless Wall, Chance Guards, Goldwrap, War Travs, Nagelring (30%), Tals Amulet, a terrible +2 sorc skills coronet and a solid FCR ring:

Chaos Master
Ring
Required Level: 47
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x5eb14470
+12 to Strength
+79 to Mana
All Resistances +3
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
10% Faster Cast Rate

She shouldn't actually be wearing the ring. I was going to switch from HoTo to Crescent Moon and from Chance Guards to Trang's so she'd make the 78 FCR breakpoint. I then realized that I didn't have a base for Crescent Moon. Depressing. She normally wears a Wisp Projector instead for a little extra MF, but I may keep this one since the extra mana is so nice.

The merc has Infinity (ethereal cryptic axe), Fortitude (archon plate) and Andy's Visage. I find it sad that I have such nice runewords, but can't find Arachnid Mesh, Shako or a 4 socket monarch for the life of me. I guess that's what happens when you spend most of your time running Lower Kurast. So far, I've saved the ancients for 98, so I'm alternating between Meph, Chaos Sanctuary and Pindle.

Act 4: HF gave Io. /p1 Diablo dropped nothing of worth. However, Raven Frost dropped in the River of Flame.

Act 5: Finally, some MF/levelling runs. Eldritch until level 71, then Pindle until level 73. /p3 questing in between. Kuko Shakakus physical + fire damage kills Cold Mages reasonably fast at /p3. Eldritch gave a Mal, Tal's mask and +2 jav / +20 IAS / +18 FR gloves. Pindle coughed up a Ko and Natalya's helm, not bad. Died in the Drifter Cavern in an attempt to progress faster. Back to /p8 slow pace for the WSK, everything went smoothly. Baal dropped Wizendraw, could be useful. Attempted WSK runs to gain some exp, but ended up dying against a doll boss pack which exploded from a single misguided FA.

Moved on to Hell instead. Made a Smoke armor to that end, although this means losing 96% MF => 193% on jav switch remaining.

Hell Act 1: Cleared the Mausoleum a few times, most notable find was Demon's Arch. Could be useful to kill PI/CI bosses with Lightning Bolt, which hapens to be a prereq for Plague Javelin.

Mostly_Harmless said:
She shouldn't actually be wearing the ring. I was going to switch from HoTo to Crescent Moon and from Chance Guards to Trang's so she'd make the 78 FCR breakpoint. I then realized that I didn't have a base for Crescent Moon. Depressing.

You can buy a 3 socket axe in A1 normal. Voila!

Yeah, I realized that today. Now it doesn't take forever to kill broken lightning immunes. Thanks for the tip, though.

Managed do drop 1M times from 20 to 17-18 mins by not picking up gems, charms etc.
I need ~35 hours to finish this up (without deaths).

Got to 82 in AT, cleared the CVT to turn on the light again, dual extra strong boss packs near the entrance were a pain. Found a +2 GMB.

[highlight]Silya, Poison/FA zon, level 82, Lost City[/highlight]

I lost steam on my barb and obviously am not getting him to 99 before launch so im removing him for now. Might continue it down the road at some point but i felt it was best to take him off here for now.

Nice progress, zgpmf! Too bad you didn't use her in the MFO, you could be a lot closer :p

Keep up the good work, felix, you're on your way!

2/3 done.

kestegs said:
Nice progress, zgpmf! Too bad you didn't use her in the MFO, you could be a lot closer :p

Thanks,.., yeah, without those early deaths and with this MFO I'd probably be done by now. I always wanted to finish this up before D3 but it doesn't really matter since I won't be playing it any time soon.

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98.67       20+         N/A       N/A
Hanshotfirst    Hector            Barbarian         94          HC         1632       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         93         lots         750       N/A
Thomh           Fluffy            Druid             91          HC          280         0
Mostly_Harmless Beric             Sorceress         90          lots        n/a       n/a
MizzouFTW       Cecilia           Sorceress         **        #DEAD#        N/A       N/A
kimiko          Electra           Sorceress         86         TONS         N/A       N/A
ThaRoon         Thulsa_Doom       Necromancer       86        #DEAD#        N/A       N/A
KiraZ           Natalya           Assassin          84          HC          N/A       N/A
LiquidClear     Wilbur            Barbarian         83           3?         N/A       N/A
felixbavaria    Silya             Amazon            82           2          174       N/A
Loomy           Ragnarok          Paladin           82        #DEAD#        N/A       N/A
coju            Maker-Vision      Necromancer       32        #DEAD#         15       N/A

kestegs said:
Keep up the good work, felix, you're on your way!

Thanks! I guess I'm still in the part where this is not work - that might chance after level 95 or so ;-)

Just finished off Hell Duriel, he dropped an ethereal Cerebus' Bite. Our most recent toys, Wizendraw and Obedience Thresher made the fight rather easy. What was considerably harder were the CI Unravellers, and the fact that the merc does not attack them whenever there are other monsters nearby. He even prefers attacking PI Ghosts over the Unravellers, which is very annoying since the ghosts in the tombs can't be shattered. The AI in this game never ceases to amaze me.

Now, off to Act III and hopefully some successful LK runs. Level 84 will give a skill point for Guided Arrow, which will be very useful once I can upgrade the bow. Currently dreaming of a Call to Arms GMB or Silence Crusader Bow.

Made a bit of progress level-wisely, and a huge step forward gear-wisely during the weekend. First, I have to brag with my LK map.

Thanks to generous random number generation in LK, some random zombie in AT, and Larzuk, the following toy was made:

Code:
Call to Arms 
Grand Matron Bow 
AmnRal[URL="http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s369/felixbavaria/Diablo%20II%20Screenshots/Silya/Screenshot639.jpg"]Mal[/URL][URL="http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s369/felixbavaria/Diablo%20II%20Screenshots/Silya/Screenshot653.jpg"]Ist[/URL][URL="http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s369/felixbavaria/Diablo%20II%20Screenshots/Silya/Screenshot655.jpg"]Ohm[/URL] 
Two Hand Damage: 49 - 257 
Durability: 42 of 55 
Required Level: 58 
Required Strength: 108 
Required Dexterity: 152 
Fingerprint: 0xa93879b9 
+1 to All Skills 
+2 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only) 
257% Enhanced Damage 
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
7% Life stolen per hit 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+4 to Battle Cry 
+1 to Battle Orders 
+5 to Battle Command 
Replenish Life +12 

Good rolls on the less important properties and bad rolls on the more important ones, but I won't complain.

In LK, a Shako dropped from a stash, and she was able to socket a 4os Monarch, but currently does not have enough strength to wear it. She is using a Splendor Heater instead.

I figured that with all the +skills now available, I might eventually make a trielemental zon (PJ/FA/LF) out of her.

Finally, the merc's Insight was upgraded to a non-eth GPA. I'd like to switch to a Might merc but don't want to give up the map seed right now.

BTW, Hellforge = Ist.

[highlight]Silya, Poison/FA zon, level 85, Frigid Highlands, 3 deaths, 197 S/Us[/highlight]

Okay, I can't help but be super jealous of your map. Congrats on the shako from a stash :p

Semester is over, While impatiently waiting for d3 I started playing. Lower Kurast runs might be the worst thing in the existance of ever. At least with countess runs you could brute force your way into results. LK is just me waiting for a die roll. I need to get three total ber's for my character (chains of honor and infinity) I would also like enough ohms to make a good CTA. Which according to my math will take aprox eleventiy billion runs to get the required runes to do so.

Finished everything upto nithalk and the ancients. I'm doing pindle/shienk runs to level so I don't want to lose the portal. ANd I'm saving the ancients for the final 40 million. Still need to run mephisto for archnids/shako. A skulders would be nice to be able to throw into the old stash also. (On average, with 300mf, how many runs should this take?)

Finally used a socket quest. My mercenary has a 4 socket/13 ED eth cv infinity now. I'll hel it out later to make an Infinity in it I guess.

No way, man! Use a thresher or Giant Thresher for your infinity ;)
If you want 3 bers, I really hope you don't plan to cube up from countess. It would certainly be easier from LK. Surs and Bers add towards your goal, and you're pretty likely to get 2 surs before 3 bers, so it's not like it'll be too annoying when you find a sur.

I did the incredible mistake of using my last re-spec to switch Fluffy from a half-decent windy to a terrible Fiery Mauler. Run times in the pit dropped from 1:50 to 6 minutes and there is no way in hell I`m going to go through the trouble of collecting essences in order to make it right again.

Instead I`m going to rock it up with a poisonmancer, and he`s sluggishly moving along in Act 3. I had completely forgotten what a drag it is to play with a poisonmancer until lvl 30, but I`m going to stay away from re-specs in order to make the character more complete, if that makes sense. It made me feel like a powergaming idiot to switch back and forth between builds with Fluffy, and I think it will be more fun to have a complete character from start to finish.

Either way, not much to report from Skjoldmose, the poisonmancer, yet. 4 useless SUs, but he did cube an incredible merc weapon:

Code:
Savage Partizan of Slaughter
Partizan
Two Hand Damage: 56 - 144
Durability: 63 of 65
Required Level: 23
Required Strength: 113
Required Dexterity: 67
Fingerprint: 0x77802661
Item Level: 50
67% Enhanced Damage
+19 to Maximum Damage]

I`m going to stuff the mercenary`s armor and helm full of amethysts of various qualities in order to make him poke stuff to death quicker. Anything to speed up the quest for lvl 30.

What is S/U ?
Sets/uniques

Nice cta bow there ;)

kestegs said:
Sets/uniques

Nice cta bow there ;)

Oh, not gonna even start to count that, got like 25+ mules that I have to go through then. I see now that I should have written down what each mule got to keep things organized. It's a good memory exercise to just remember I think!

You don`t use GoMule or ATMA? That`s some seriously puritan work ethic:)

I play clean! ;) Though now I think I might be disqualified for this because I play with a friend from time to time (showing him the game), so I'm not 100% alone as we do play together. What are the rules on that?
Untwinked means not playing with anyone else ever. Sorry. Getting to 99 is still very impressive twinked though, so don't let that discourage you.

Oh well, good that we found that out now, and not at level 98 👍

So this time I won't even mule. (Though I might change my mind, we'll see) - Not playing with anyone ever kinda breaks with my muling routine as I have to host a game with my laptop (tainting the game per se), and I feel that using addons/mods would further taint my game and experience of it forever so!

Am I allowed to change /players settings?

I've got no issue with you self muling if you want to, I don't see that as any different than ATMA/Gomule. No muling whatsoever would certainly add massive style points though :p

Good luck again!

hi ...Sry for posting in the wrong thread but i just get lost in the forum..although it's kinda "into the thread"...
I want to make a summoning necro --->Untwinked, SP, NO rwm, so just SP rw...
I want to hear a few suggestions about the build i'm trying to make...
I'm also aware of Fishymancer's guide, and others alike...but i just want to keep things simple...So here's the build I'm aiming for:

20 Raise Skeleton
20 Skeleton Mastery
20 Corpse Explosion
1 Clay Golem
10 Golem Mastery
10 Summon Resist
1 Amp dmg
1 Dim vision
1 Decrepify
1 Bone Armour
1+ Bone Wall <---rest in here

A2 Might merc

I also like to keep things real simple..so no revives or mages ( i just hate recasting every 3 min/wrong element)
Like I said no ladder RW...so here is where i need some help ...what is the best gear?
i believe at low lvl...Stealth/Lore/Rhyme/White...but next...?
Hoto \ Beast, Bone, Delirium \ Shako, Marrowalks, Splendor \ Homunculus or what...

Waiting for reply ty...

That IS the fishymancer :p
You nest weapon is arm of king leorics for summoning, and down the line to get a beast or similar with fanat aura for everything else. You essentially want as many +skellies that you can before casting them, and afterwards you can put on whatever you like. Homunculus is great, and afaik there aren't better options unless you want a few more to skellies, and put splendor in some crazy + skelly shield with other useful stuff. In case you haven't thought about it or read it somewhere, you also should have a source of teleport, such as a acirclet or amulet, or item on switch, such as naj'z staff or steelspell (right name?)

So no muling either this time. Out or In. I like it! I got a upped steeldriver but as the angelics don't drop it seem like I have to up my heart carver and spineripper, anyone know how they will look?

I'm back in!

Hello everyone. A couple of years ago I had an account here (Jeff Jonsson) and was active in trading and multiplayer. I've restarted, and this time I plan to go self-found with a Necromancer and see how far I can get. I'm currently in Hell with the usual problem of merc survivability and desperately searching for a decent weapon in the Pit. Once I hit lvl 90 I'll add myself to the list.

I've been very unlucky with drops so far, not seeing a single 4-socket sword for Spirit, and my only Sol was used to make Lore ages ago, denying me an Insight. Since I'm going untwinked I need to be very careful not to waste my socketing quests.

Good luck! I'm too new to remember you, but i'm sure some others will pop in and say hello again :)
HC or SC? Join the compilation tournament!
You should find at least some of what you're looking for soon. I'm surprised you havent, yet. Have you tried using the cube recipe for socketed items?
Good luck!

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98.67       20+         N/A       N/A
Hanshotfirst    Hector            Barbarian         94          HC         1632       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         93         lots         750       N/A
Thomh           Fluffy            Druid             91          HC          280         0
Mostly_Harmless Beric             Sorceress         90          lots        n/a       n/a
MizzouFTW       Cecilia           Sorceress         **        #DEAD#        N/A       N/A
ThaRoon         Thulsa_Doom       Necromancer       86        #DEAD#        N/A       N/A
KiraZ           Natalya           Assassin          84          HC          N/A       N/A
Pringlesman     Angelin           Sorceress         84         TONS         N/A       N/A
LiquidClear     Wilbur            Barbarian         83           3?         N/A       N/A
felixbavaria    Silya             Amazon            83           2          179       N/A
Loomy           Ragnarok          Paladin           82        #DEAD#        N/A       N/A
XzifT           Mojo              Barbarian         78          HC            0       N/A
coju            Maker-Vision      Necromancer       32        #DEAD#         15       N/A
Thomh           Skjoldmose        Necromancer       25          HC            4       N/A
Kitteh          Kitteh             Paladin          1           0                      0

Welcome! I'm also surprised you're not finding that stuff. are you playing 1.13?

I was sure we'd have a 99 by now, what happened?

jeffy said:
my only Sol was used to make Lore ages ago

Are you sure you are playing 1.13? In that patch you should have found a dozen of them by the time you enter Hell. If you really need one run NM Countess (or Hell Countess if you're character is strong enough).

Also, socket a Broad or Long Sword using the Ral+Amn+Perfect Amethyst cube recipe, you have 50% chance to get 4 sockets by that.

Good luck!

pharphis said:
HC or SC?

Softcore, and I've already died an embarrassing number of times. Mostly due to running around in Hell with very negative resistances.

Welcome! I'm also surprised you're not finding that stuff. are you playing 1.13?

Yes! Diablo is a fickle mistress.

Are you sure you are playing 1.13?

Haha, I'm SURE :) I did manage to find a couple of sols while clearing the rest of Hell and killing Baal (which took 10 minutes btw - having no CB is horrible). I do have the perfect Meph map, and the runes for Obedience so once I find a proper base I'll run hell Meph for a while.

I struggled a bit in early Hell (Maggot lair, dear god), but once my merc got a rare 500 max dmg stick, it's been smooth sailing.

You sure it's c or d, and not a or b? As a and b I know nothing of.

Also, just because you upgraded to .07 from .06 doesn't mean it's .13... Some people may think that, like me. I would think something like that maybe:loving:

rl: Bought a dinosaur yesterday. Named him or her "Stampy."

d2: None, been taking care of Stampy.

ovg: Teaching Stampy how to play various games.

^This thread just became a daily.

coju said:
rl: Bought a dinosaur yesterday. Named him or her "Stampy."

d2: None, been taking care of Stampy.

ovg: Teaching Stampy how to play various games.

I love you.

Get your OT out of my thread!!!!

You can always just log on to Bnet and make sure that you are on the current patch if you want to.

kestegs said:

What happened is that zgpmf is a slacker. :scared:

4/5 done.

Kitteh said:
I'm back in!

WB, try to actually make some progress this time. :D

kestegs said:

I wanted to be a kind person as I (usually) am and give a chance to the thread opener to make it first to 99. ;)

Cyrax said:
What happened is that zgpmf is a slacker. :scared:

I'm out of funny replies for now, but I'll quote you on that one when I have more 99ers than you. :)

Just hit lvl **. I've played according to this plan:

Phase 1 (finished): Level to Hell.

Phase 2 (finished): Enter Hell early and level in the Pit. The rationale for this was that since this is softcore, there's really no point in spending lots of time doing NM Baal runs. I figured I could do act 1 hell on on P1, get to the Pit, and level there instead, potentially getting some lucky drops. No such luck was had, and I did die plenty of times due to low life and terrible resistances.

Phase 3 (in progress): While clearing the Pit over and over, and getting nothing* for it, I realized that my gear was severely lacking. I figured Hell Meph would have some easy upgrades, so I went there and got a rude awakening; apparently it takes ages to kill him with a crappy merc with no Crushing Blow. Back to the Pit to farm up a base for Obedience. Getting this ethereal Thresher probably took 10 hours or so.

Returning to Meph with the Obedience made a HUUUUUUGE difference, and he now dies in seconds. I start at Pindle, stealing his corpses, and then killing him -> TP to town -> Durance 2 WP -> Meph. The run takes around 1:30 which I think is respectable considering all I have for transportation is a lousy teleport amulet with 25 charges.

Phase 4 (final phase): Once I'm properly geared up from Meph and Pindle, I plan to run WSK and Baal, hoping for some runes. Realistically, this character is not going to make it to 99 without Enigma and Infinity, and those won't fall into my lap unless I'm extremely lucky or play more than I probably want to play. Hopefully I get a Ber or something early before I lose all hope and quit.

*Except for a Vex randomly from a chest, but that's not really that great of a rune I think because I don't see HoTO being that much better than pre-buffing with Arm of King Leoric once that drops, and then going to for example Wizard Spike. Once the Skeletons are up all you get from extra skills are bigger curses and corpse explosions.

pharphis said:
^This thread just became a daily.

Thought I had the daily thread open... I actually edited that to add the daily, as I didn't want to just spam OT in the OT daily... Really laughed at ph's post. lol

zgpmf said:
I'm out of funny replies for now, but I'll quote you on that one when I have more 99ers than you. :)

Guess i won't be holding my breath for that one, as it ain't gonna happen! :troll:

Btw what are your plans after this sorc. Gonna follow my path with a hammerdin or do you have other plans for the next char?
Zgp: nice progress! You must have slowed down quite a bit though. It's all in your hands now as I'm not playing D2 anymore!

Jeff: good start, good luck on the runes!

Cyrax said:
Guess i won't be holding my breath for that one, as it ain't gonna happen! :troll:

Btw what are your plans after this sorc. Gonna follow my path with a hammerdin or do you have other plans for the next char?

I'm not sure ATM, when I wasn't playing with sorc I leveled a necro from 85 to 96 in pits and a zon from 22 to 78, but now I feel like playing a trapsin as she would be a pretty good Nihl runner also. Whichever char I decide to go with I will for sure save the ancients quest for 98.

Cool, by doing different builds we may learn something from eachother. Sins are without a doubt the class i know least about, even though i have matted a trapper and one or two others.

I'm not going out of my way to save ancients quests. Most of the chars i intend to run with are already patted/matted. There's 2 (besides my current char) that i most likely will build from scratch, so there i will see if i can run something besides Baal.

90% done.
I haven't died even once since I put Delirium on my merc (long time ago) and today I respeced to Firewall/Lightning. It's very good solution when Nihl is LI and that lowered Ligthning damage for ~6k but FW is pretty good since Nihl doesn't move when merc is far away.

Cyrax said:
Cool, by doing different builds we may learn something from eachother. Sins are without a doubt the class i know least about, even though i have matted a trapper and one or two others.

I'm not going out of my way to save ancients quests. Most of the chars i intend to run with are already patted/matted. There's 2 (besides my current char) that i most likely will build from scratch, so there i will see if i can run something besides Baal.

I need ~3 hours to make a pat/mat and IMO it's a small price to pay for a saved ancients quest.

Is that a beta-delirium or a regular one? Most of the time i see people use these, they're beta's. I'm curious to know if regulars work well too.

Wow, at that speed i would do it too. Instead i actually play through the game. So even twinked and with enough spare time it would take me at least 1 day per difficulty. It seems like you'll be doing a lot of catching up this way.

Does this mean you intend to run Nihlathak or Diablo for all you chars?

This is "untwinked lvl 99 thread" so I guess that's self-explanatory, besides that I never used beta version so I wouldn't know, but this regular one works pretty well IMO.

The most viable plan would be:
Pits or AT or CS till 97 then proceed to Diablo or Nihl till 98 and then do the ancients quest on lvl 98 and run Baal or Nihl or Diablo till 99.

zgpmf said:
This is "untwinked lvl 99 thread" so I guess that's self-explanatory, besides that I never used beta version so I wouldn't know, but this regular one works pretty well IMO.

I know there are people saying there is no such thing as a dumb question. Still i feel very stupid right now. :ashamed:
Wow, so close now!

Nihl really becomes most effective at level 98, I wouldn't think you'd want to do Baal at 98. Plus you then have to kill the ancients at the start of 98 and not the end, I would hate to lose that exp to a death.

I used delirium for the first time on a tournament character this year. It did not disappoint, I can only imagine the beta version!

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         98.9       20+         N/A       N/A
Pringlesman     Angelin           Sorceress         84         TONS         N/A       N/A
felixbavaria    Silya             Amazon            83           2          179       N/A
XzifT           Mojo              Barbarian         78          HC            0       N/A
Thomh           Skjoldmose        Necromancer       25          HC            4       N/A
Kitteh          Kitteh             Paladin          1           0                      0

99%

Also a perfect Mara's dropped yesterday:

Code:
Mara's Kaleidoscope 
Amulet 
Fingerprint: 0xf9e235a9 
Item Level: 95 
Unidentified 
+2 to All Skills 
All Stats +5 
All Resistances +30 
[FONT=Dialog][/FONT]
Wow! Can't wait to see the write up and all that :)

Done (posing) and last Nova captured.

Write-up will be over in couple of days. :)
Awesome!

Big congrats man! Very cool!

Congrats! That's awesome :)

Someone made it? Lies.

Well grats then. 👍

Congrats! 👍

Congratulations!

Zgpmf you made it seem like casual gaming. If you've done whole thing as fast as in the beginning people might've started claiming a TUB on you!

Congrats zgpmf, very impressive

:tear: Bravo! :applause: Bravo! :applause:

Well done! :applause:

Ah you here already? :)
Nice one. Looking forward to her thread.
As well as theorycrafting that lvl 99 trapper build :)

Good job.

So when is the next one? This time do it HC :D

Adding another toon to the table. :whistling:

HC at that... Demon's Souls reference, zmgphf?

Have some time off of work and I plan on restarting my single player experience on Diablo II. D3 was very disappointing. Not sure what the most recommended character to start would be. Sorceress to teleport & magic find most efficiently? Or take the time with a Melee Barbarian and not ruin the "re-play" experience. Hmmm.. what do you think guys?

don't ruin the experience ;) Choose a build you really love (unless it's a sorc! jk) and just play through and have fun.

Maybe in 10 years I'll finish this.

Took a few days to read through this whole thread. I was swinging back and forth about whether or not I wanted to do this, but ultimately decided if nothing else I can make updates and try pushing for the first to make it in HC. I doubt that will be the case, but the attempt seems to daunting to ignore.

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         99          20+         N/A       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         94         lots         750       N/A
zgpmf           Ema               Amazon            74          HC          N/A       N/A
Shintyguy       Frozen_Kitteh     Paladin           51          HC          N/A       N/A
Kitteh          Kitteh            Paladin            1           0            0         0
Vildecor        Vildecor          Druid              1          HC            0         0

^Hurray!

If I was untwinked from the start with my blizzy I would've raced you a bit, but that jerk FoE gave me some items and rushed me to start the char for an MFO.

Good luck!!!

Another level

Code:
zgpmf           Diiieeeeee        Sorceress         99          20+         N/A       N/A
Ohomemgrande    Endura            Sorceress         95         lots        1500       N/A
zgpmf           Ema               Amazon            74          HC          N/A       N/A
Shintyguy       Frozen_Kitteh     Paladin           51          HC          N/A       N/A
Kitteh          Kitteh            Paladin            1           0            0         0
Vildecor        Vildecor          Druid              1          HC            0         0
Would anybody be interested in another go of this in the future?
Kitteh said:
Would anybody be interested in another go of this in the future?
I would participate in this as a long-term project for sure.
Pb_pal said:
I would participate in this as a long-term project for sure.
Awesome :) I'm looking towards starting it about the end of May, if that isn't too far away? I have a lab project until then + work + training + coursework = little D2 :p
Fine by me! I don't mind when it starts. RL is making my D2 time thin nowadays anyways, and with the Zodthon incoming, I'll be booked up for a bit. :)
Ah, memories....

Sad to see all of the work I put into that character and now she is no more.

You guys should run no extended stash as well, that would be extra cool!
kestegs said:
Ah, memories....

All the more reason to make her again!

Also, I might just take you up on that challenge. That could be very interesting.
kestegs said:
Ah, memories....

I'm up for that :)
I never participated in the original, but I'll join a new run!
Thoroughly enjoyed the 'certain death' tourney a while back even though such restrictions warp ones view of the game a bit. Usually play untwinked online but peter out around level 90 so would give this a go for a change. Would only play with Atma though for the extended crafting possibilities.
Maybe we could just have some way of denoting who is extended stash and who isn't?
Yeah a column in the table could suffice for that I think. Either that or just note it in your update tag tournament-style. I'm sure people will all have slightly different self-imposed restrictions and stuff anyways.
I'm glad you guys revived this thread. I may add my purist barb to the list someday, in case my attempt at 99 becomes serious.
I might be in for this, would you decide to give this another go. I'd never have the time nor dedication to get to 99 or even close, but it would be interesting to see how far I'd get. I recently made the switch from SC to HC and my Sorc is currently almost level 93, with hardly any Baal runs, so it shouldn't be too bad ...

The no extended stash version surely would make it a lot harder. I don't mind harder, but since I can't use my current SC characters in Tournaments here (I have been using PlugY for a short time for the Ubers and DClone, and my characters have been using the Annis and Torches ever since), I'd be tempted to allow the use of GoMule anyway, so I can stash away any gear I find for future characters, which then in turn can join some Tournaments.
Oh I'll be muling OFF, just not back onto the character.

I plan on keeping track of all the S/U she finds along the way to see how close it gets me to a complete grail (and rune grail). This is of course my tentative plan, and I may break down once I get further into it, but we'll see!
Yes, there's lots of ways you could increase the challenge (Because it's too easy otherwise ;) )

I'd just run a simple version and let people denote any additional restrictions, that way more people can participate.
kestegs said:
Yes, there's lots of ways you could increase the challenge (Because it's too easy otherwise ;) )

I'd just run a simple version and let people denote any additional restrictions, that way more people can participate.
Sounds like a plan :).
I might be interested in this to roll a first real HC char. I keep stranding on lvl 30-40 before I go back to SC, so this might get me there. Will mule off, but otherwise no extended stash since I don't have anything in HC anyway :p.
I re-read through this entire thread during my Zodthon runs this weekend, and I must say I'm pretty excited to give this a whirl. I've made up my mind that I won't use an extended stash (other than to mule off to keep track of grail progress).

One the Zodthon is over I'll set to planning what char/build I want to use, but would be interested to hear other peoples plans of attack as well. So far I'm thinking taking the standard and boring approach of "Blizzballer until I can deck out a Light sorc", but we'll see if I feel more adventurous when the time rolls around!

It's pretty hard to argue with a Sorc being the easiest and fastest, so that's a good class for sure. But the amount of extra time you'd spend leveling and gearing any other class is likely negligible compared to the ultimate goal. So I'd just recommend that you go with something you really like to play!
I've had such good success with a Blizz sorc that I'll be doing that again, then after AT and Meph have coughed up enough good gear, I change to something else, probably a Light sorc, or maybe a Meteorber if I don't have Infinity at that time.

Spending a lot of time in AT on /p5 and /p7 because of the Zodthon, I was surprised how fast I was still gaining xp there. Baalruns are probably still faster if you can do those on /p7 or /p8, but it usually takes me a long time before I can do those effectively.
I agree with the sentiment to play a build you'd enjoy (doing thousands of runs).

I started a trapper recently and will try to take her to 99, even if it may be a little slower than a sorc. I'll be keeping track of total play time and S/U drops too. Most likely going W/S setup, since I don't think I can stomache shopping a pair of trap claws for a C/C setup.
I'm planning to do a wind druid, or a phoenix striker :D
I think I would play a far less optimal, but very fun build like furysin, or rabies/feral druid. Downside to those might be that it would take forever to get to 99, but I can't stand sorcs, too boring.
If you are going towards 99, then starting untwinked basically just means a slower start. How slow depends of course on your build/luck/farming options. Keeping in mind the journey is generally much more fun and time consuming than the destination. I haven't gone past 93 in 1.10+ yet .. or even 94 in 1.09 so far. I keep getting distracted .. OOH shiny!
NanoMist said:
I remember there was a 99 theory crafting thread that could be a useful read. And also a thread with a list of SPF 99's.

In a nutshell: Have a really good game plan for those last few levels, especially at 98 where the real grind starts.
I remember there was a 99 theory crafting thread that could be a useful read. And also a thread with a list of SPF 99's.

In a nutshell: Have a really good game plan for those last few levels, especially at 98 where the real grind starts.
What would such a game plan be? I mean, by lvl 98 you probably have really good gear, and it's just a matter of Baal runs on /p8 all the time, no? Or do you mean: have someone bring you food and drinks, have a good plan on when to get a little bit of sleep, ...? ;).
Something like optimizing your runs to suit your particular build and play style. Hell Baal runs may not necessarily be the fastest path to 99 for certain builds. Take the hammerdin for example, CS may be the better choice in terms of experience gained per hour, with the added bonus of saving ancients quest for lvl 98. Others may find success in running Nihlathak at lvl 98 over Diablo or Baal.
Ok, so I will am to begin this tournament (unless Kestegs would like to relaunch it himself of course) in May/June. How does that sound?
Kitteh said:
Ok, so I will am to begin this tournament (unless Kestegs would like to relaunch it himself of course) in May/June. How does that sound?
I usually play computer games a lot less during summertime, so for me the timing could be better. But I'll join anyway I think, and just be slow but steady in that case :).
Ah damn haha Well, it is very much a long term tournament anyway, so it shouldn't be too impactive. However, everybody feel free to chip in when is best for you all, and I will go with whatever fits with the most people :)
I'm good to go anytime. I could start the moment the Zodthon ends, but have no problem with waiting. Basically, don;t worry about me, I'll be along for the ride regardless. :)

EDIT: Let me clarify this so that I'm actually contributing something to the timeline discussion. If I had to choose I would prefer to start sooner, rather than later. However, I do not mind waiting until May/June to begin and will definitely participate.
I also would prefer sooner than later, considering the length of this project. But I can wait as well. My play times are erratic anyways, so don't mind me.
Kitteh said:
Ah damn haha Well, it is very much a long term tournament anyway, so it shouldn't be too impactive. However, everybody feel free to chip in when is best for you all, and I will go with whatever fits with the most people :)
No worries :). Like you say, it's a very long term tournament, so it doesn't matter that much. Knowing myself, I'll most likely join this, and I'll most likely spend way too much time on it early on. But I'll also want to play my character from the 'a lack of information' tournament after the Zodthon. So ... sigh, me and making choices, it's never going to work, at least not for D2, where I want it all.

So long story short (and seeing the answers from Pb_pal and NanoMist): anytime is good enough for me. We might as well restart the quest to 99 soon (after the Zodthon?), but if it's only in a few months time, I'll be fine as well :).
Free advice from a 99er (heavily twinked though):

if you want to stand a little chance to actually finishing the quest, pick something that can run efficiently the last 1-2 levels. Everything can get boring at the amount of hours needed for those, so you better pick something that does it the fastest way.

Picking a Phoenix Striker or Wind Druid is about as stupid as I could imagine. Very funny chars to quest with, but horrible candidates for a 99er. Untwinked or not. Sorry @Kitteh :p

I know there's few old 99ers who did it with chars suffering long-ish baalruns, but those are very few, and they were armed to the teeth to begin with.

GL to all new participants anyway! It will be very funny to read about your untwinked adventures and I wish you get far with you chars. p.s why wait? Go ahead and start it, it's a long-term goal nonetheless :)
Grape, I'd be interested to know which characters you think are up to the task. Sorcs only, or also other characters like, I don't know, Furyzon, Venomancer, Multizon / Strafezon, Trapper / Dancer, ... ? Those all seem to need quite good gear before they become effective, but that might not mean much in the long run that is level 99.
Well, eventually every char we know that is capable of running Chaos+Dia, Baal waves or Nihla repeatedly without dying all the time, is up to the task. It is then just up to attendees' perseverance that can they finish the equipment and then run those X thousand times.

The main reason I'm advising picking up a clear underdog is that leveling after 97, and especially 98 are such barriers that most will give up because it will feel that the exp is just not gathering up anymore. If one picks a char that needs hundreds of hours to gather the equipment, there's a great chance he/she is burn out before the real exp grind even begins ;)

Yeah, I'd pick a Sorc or Paladin, but I can sketch a game plan to just about every possible runner. Most likely one should play whatever build suits until Hell LK and grind the essentials, or just start running Pits/AT/Pindle immediately if the build is capable of that.
The one that immediately springs to mind is a Hammerdin. I'll let Grape discuss it more (he DOES have a 99er after all), but all he would need to do really is farm meph/pits for some very basic equipment and then hit up LK. From there he would only really need Enigma (Hoto and CtA are big helps too, but I would imagine that would come along the way to an Enigma anyways), and he could start tackling CS. CoH and Delerium would help the merc, and you're off to the races.

Other than that, I think a trapper seems viable, although I don't know their "required" gear all that well. LK for Enigma and Infinity(that might be a bit of a chore though). Pits to level up, then Baaling and you're off.

A WW-barb might be okay at this (I know they're decent for levelling to ~95 or so, not sure how their efficiency stacks up in later levels). Again, geared up at LK mostly, with Pits to fill in the gaps.

As Grape mentioned, it's those last couple levels that will be the worst. Most builds (venomancer, singers, etc) will spend the majority of their time up until that point in the Pits/AT/something along those lines, so amassing gear shouldn't be *that* big of an issue as it will just kind of happen (well, not necessarily, but you get the idea).

I'm not well versed in extensive 99-ing, so I'll let the experts talk more about it. Other than that, the 99 theorycrafting thread and the quest for 99 thread should have tons of insight into what works and what doesn't. This post by Gripphon in the theorycrafting thread has some good info.

It all goes back to the same things though, play something you enjoy (as long as it's realistic). If you want to make a serious run of this, you're going to be spending some time grinding out the gear for top-tier stuff. If you don't like LK, take into account how much high-end RW gear you're going to need and adjust/prepare accordingly. My top choices are the standard ones: sorc(which I'm going to take), and hammerdin (I would have taken this if I wasn't already working on a twinked one). There's a reason 22 of the 38 reported 99-ers are either sorcs or hammerdins (13/9 split, respectively).

But hey, there are wolfbarbs and avengers and all sorts on that list too. They're not the fastest, but if that's what you're going to have the most fun with, more power to you!

Edit: I wrote that with Baaling mostly in mind (aside from hammerdins, who live in the CS). It's worthy to note too that Nilly is good target to get from 98-99 as well. If memory serves, he has the potential to be the fastest out of the big 3 (Baal, CS/Diablo, Nilly). This hinges on having a build more suited to running him, and you still need to gather the gear, but it's something to consider.
I already have a hammerdin on his way to 99, and to be honest, 99ers that simple just aren't the same :p A 99er sept is my long term (and no way going to be finished) goal, so a druid has to be done eventually. I think enjoyment > speed, because a boring character won't keep your attention for very long.

Well a 99 sept just puts you on a whole new level of crazy ;)

I agree that people should take something they're interested in and enjoy. I'm also fortunate in a way that I've always wanted to make a light sorc but never have, always wanted to hit 99 and never have, and also want to try for the grail with this char. So it just so happens that my desires matched up with efficiency this time. :p

I'm starting to think though that a Nilly-running barb (Concentrate, probably?) could be really fun here too. The good thing about a project like this is that there's no issues with starting over if you're not enjoying the char, as the last leg (98-99) is easily the longest anyways.
Cyrax was on 4 of 7 I think, until he started playing Destiny haha
I'm not sure if you know, but back in the 1.09 days, there were two people who did 7x99. Much easier than 1.1x, but still a LOT of work. Especially the druid/assassin. They favoured the area just before the ancients (its name escapes me). Cows for most characters obviously.

Icebird and Ryondaahl (RIP, the man died in October 2006) managed to get their 7 99ers at around the same time from memory. Trying to do this in 1.09 is on my LONG term list of wants as well.

If you look at the people who have more than 1 99er in 1.1x, you'll notice they are a certain type of person who is very dedicated, very focused and they play a LOT. They play hard, they play smart. That is the main difference to actually hitting the end vs being stuck in the WIP table. Some of these characters might not be fun normally, but the people are so stubborn, they find a way to make them fun. Eg only 1 druid and 1 barb in the table .. both by the same person :p Then only 1 assassin.

Someone who wants to hit the end will choose a popular/easy/fast build. Those who want to make a name for themselves will force it to happen :)
After giving this some more thought, I'm not sure I will join this challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun on it's own, but ...

• I have only recently (3 months ago) made the switch to HC, leveling up a Blizz Sorc from scratch (with the exception of a few items like Spirit sword, Stealth armor, Insight on merc, ... from a previous HC character a few years back) all the way to level 94; I'm not sure I want to do it once again so short after that; it might make more sense to try and get the Blizzard Sorc as high as possible instead
  • such a project would take so much time, that I fear I won't have time for any other projects in D2: tournaments here (such as the 'A lack of Information' tournament I recently joined), the 4 other HC characters I want to get to Guardian to have one of each class in SP (Necro, Druid and Barb started, Paladin still to be built), the SC Sept I still have planned, ...
  • I usually play a lot less in summertime, so it might make more sense to only join this after that, if I would decide to do so

I haven't made up my mind completely, as there are some pros to the challenge as well though:
  • I can see this as a very long time project, so it doesn't necessarily has to exclude all other D2 projects
  • it would be a perfect opportunity to get a 'clean' (without non forum accepted mods) SC character as well, which I then would be able to use in tournaments and such
  • I usually end up playing (a lot) more than I plan to do or say I will anyway ... :cool:

Long story short: just proceed as you want, and I'll see if I'll join or not ...
Psh, you'll join. :p

In all honesty though, this is going to be a long-term project for everyone involved, with I'm sure many other projects in between. The forums aren't quite what they used to be, and things tend to move at a bit of a lower pace now. I'm planning on taking this to completion, but it won't be in one straight shot. I'm sure I'll burn out, join/make some tournies, take lengthy breaks, play other chars etc along the way.

If I were you, I'd do it in SC. As you say, it's the perfect chance to build up an item base for any future endeavors, and you can use your char in any MFO/RFO-type competitions that spring up. Dying at high levels will sting enough with the XP loss, I don't know how I'd stomach losing the character (this is coming from someone who regularly deeds tournament characters, so I know the feeling of having the hours of time invested go poof).

If you don't feel like doing a sorc, don't do one. :) Or at least don't do a blizzy. Meteorbers are great for building up an item base and farming Meph/Andy etc. FO/Hydra can work too, and is slightly more off the beaten path. After one of my full-restarts many years back my first char was a full-fire sorc, and she was great at getting me going. She'd need a re-spec to make the push at higher levels, but for the first phase of the journey she'd be just fine.

The main bonus to sorcs is that they don't have to spend time farming an enigma to start becoming really efficient. As pointed out earlier in the thread, in the grand scheme of things that time spent getting an enigma for other classes will be small in comparison to the time spent leveling (assuming some LK/Trav-grinding for the runes).

I'm approaching this less as a race (although healthy competition is a great motivator!), and more as a project that's always going to be there, amongst whatever else I'm currently doing with D2.
Kitteh said:
I'm perfectly happy to pass the torch on this one :)
Pb_pal said:
Psh, you'll join. :p
I'm not so sure. Finding a Griffon's Eye yesterday, as well as getting rather close to level 95, seemed like the pieces of the puzzle falling into place, so now I'm very tempted to convert my Blizz Sorc to a Lightning Sorc after the Zodthon, and start CS and Baal runs with her to see how far I can get. If / when she dies, I can always return to this thread and start the journey with a SC character. After all, like you said yourself, such a thing is a very long time project, and I plan to stick around for a while ...

Dying with the Sorc will hurt, I'm sure. But she has already exceeded my expectations, and I see all that's still to come as a bonus. So it wouldn't be the end of the world, as dying is part of the HC experience.
At 95 of course amulet gambling gives all gambles a chance to getting a +2 class skill amulet which in turn gives a good stock of amulets for high level crafting. It would be a shame to risk losing that by further leveling with only the one high level HC character.
Why have y'all decided to make this sound like so much fun? All the links to threads and idears and stats. As you all know, I am, was, an avid HardCore player. It seems I have gone soft. Thinking about making a soso in the lines of Zmgpf and using her as my SC mfer and pvpitemfinder. As, I hear there are pvp days here and there again.
Tarantella said:
At 95 of course amulet gambling gives all gambles a chance to getting a +2 class skill amulet which in turn gives a good stock of amulets for high level crafting. It would be a shame to risk losing that by further leveling with only the one high level HC character.
Not sure if you mention level 95 there, because my Sorc was almost that level (she has reached that level since then, jay ;)) or because you think that is the lowest level one can gamble and then craft +2 amulets, but for clarity (and for future reference, as I had to look it up myself): you 'only' have to be level 93 to be able to gamble such magic amulets or use those gambles for crafting +2 amulets.

Level 93 is still very high, but my recent experience tells me that it doesn't take a powerful character ages to reach it either ...
Clvl 95 gives you a 100% chance to gamble +2 skills ammys. That is to say that 100% of the amulets you gamble have a shot at being +2 skills. They need an ilvl of 90 for +2 skills, and since gambled items work on ilvl = anywhere from clvl-5/+4, 95 is the first level that guarantees ALL amulets will reach the desired ilvl. So technically, you can gamble them starting at 86, although it's not too likely/consistent.

93 is the threshold for the same thing in crafting amulets.
Hmm.. since I am doing untwinked with regular stash/no muling, I can't exactly hoard crafting materials until 93 for a +2 amulet. I might level up first before hitting LK so I can craft +2 amulets concurrently with the high rune search. Plenty of crafting materials to pick up there, would be a shame not being able to get +2 skills. Even untwinked, 93 shouldn't take very long with the right build.

Maybe this could help someone playing without muling. We all know Clvl 93 is the threshold for crafting +2 amulets (obtained from gambling) - specifically 10 out of 10 amulets will be ilvl 90 or greater.

Clvl 93 - 10/10
Clvl 92 - 9/10
Clvl 91 - 6/10
Clvl 90 - 5/10
Clvl 89 - 2/10
Clvl ** - 1/10
Clvl 87 - 0/10

If you must craft amulets before Clvl 93, here are your odds of ilvl 90 or greater. Calculated using the crafting guide.
T72on1 said:
I'm not so sure. Finding a Griffon's Eye yesterday, as well as getting rather close to level 95, seemed like the pieces of the puzzle falling into place, so now I'm very tempted to convert my Blizz Sorc to a Lightning Sorc after the Zodthon, and start CS and Baal runs with her to see how far I can get. If / when she dies, I can always return to this thread and start the journey with a SC character. After all, like you said yourself, such a thing is a very long time project, and I plan to stick around for a while ...

Dying with the Sorc will hurt, I'm sure. But she has already exceeded my expectations, and I see all that's still to come as a bonus. So it wouldn't be the end of the world, as dying is part of the HC experience.
And it hurt. But not too much, it was a wonderful journey. So I guess I'll join this one at some point, in SC. Not sure when though.
Did anyone start this yet? I'm going to take Grape's advice and start this sooner rather than later. Reason being I'll probably have less time as summer comes around. Hopefully that is okay with everyone, considering the length of this challenge. Sorry Kitteh :p
I was busy with life and the Zodthon, so I haven't started yet. I'll await the official thread personally, but I have no issues if others want to begin sooner than that. As we all know, this is going to be a long haul, so a bit of a head start is nothing more than a bit of motivation for the others I say. ;)
I will just start it now :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High