The Three-Legged Race Tournament

Nice! I am enjoying my Stealth runeword and Nagelring a lot. My druid got it in his act I run and my necro caried it from the moment I remembered I could swap gear between tournament teams. Going to try my luck with Andy in a bit
I still don't have stealth, as the 2nd rune hasn't dropped, but now I am going to go to act 2 to get the cube then start processing my finds and then I will heave stealth. (Right now of all things he wearing 2-socket armor with a chipped topaz and chipped skull in it, which is good enough for act 1 in a pinch.) I think I will do act two before doing my druid run since right now the Pali is the only HC one I have out of Act 1, and it will be nice to see some new stuff. The Nagelring has been really nice as I suddenly getting some nice basic drops. Might make a post showing off the ad-hoc gear he has right now going into act 2.

We did it, Mister Frodo. We made it to Mordor.

View attachment 66762

NM Act V has been cleared at players 7! ... So, the full clear is still on entering Hell!

First, a bit of a brag. I made it all the way through NM, doing full clears, at players 7, with decent mf (low 200's), and managed not to find a single exceptional unique weapon that can be wielded one-handed. All the more impressive I suppose, as I was playing a Barbarian, using Item Find on every corpse. Also as a Barb, two-handed swords were therefore an additional option. Still, I managed not to find a single one. Not one :rolleyes: .

Oh well. So clearly some improvisation was needed. I started NM Act V with 20 points in Concentrate and Battle Orders, nine points in Find Item, and one point in all other Warcries except Grim Ward. I had a good number of skill points saved and decided to put them into War Cry. One point War Cry had been working pretty well but I decided a longer stun length would worthwhile. Level 1 War Cry has a stun length of 1 second. Level 20 War Cry has a stun length of 4.8 seconds. The 4.8 second stun length was really nice ... but the added mana cost was not. So more changes were needed. I tried a Spirit Sword, and that fixed the mana problem, but I didn't like how it made the character play. I've been using Concentrate and The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail to slow enemies since Act V ... going to being a less involved caster wasn't fun. So I brought back the The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail, and swapped out my 17 mf Nagelring for a magic ring with 118 mana and 16 life, and that did the trick! I could spam War Cry on most enemies and use the The General's Tan Do Li Ga to slow champions and uniques.

And so it went. Lots of stunning, and then slowing for foes that could not be stunned. Merc kills everything. It's been a long time since I messed around with War Cry, so I started off a bit rusty. The problem I remembered with Singers was: what to do with monsters that are out of range? Oh yeah. Taunt. The description for Taunt is: 'causes a monster to attack'. This doesn't sound helpful ... but I seemed to remember that it was ... so I gave it a go ... What the description for Taunt should be is: 'causes a monster to walk up to you'. Cool! This totally fixes all my War Cry problems. Archers, spell casters, and summoners, were all drawn into my stun field:

View attachment 66764
Come little healers, I'll be thy friend.

And so, with a War Cry with a 4.8 second stun duration ... and Taunt to draw the flies to my spider web ... progress was pretty smooth. Until, the Ancients Way. That area had the Carver Shaman that shoot Glacial Spikes. Doesn't seem like it'd be a problem, but oh it was ... They seemed to come in groups of four, and if you were at the right passageway junction, you could end up with eight ... or twelve ... or sixteen ... and of course, all their minions. Still, I can stun them and dispose of corpses via Item Find ... but it was easier said than done. I was busy keeping everything stunned so it was hard to beat all those Shaman to a corpse. I could Taunt the Shaman to me and stun them ... but they were operating off the screen ... often around corners ... and sometimes through walls :mad: . Oh, and in NM the Ancients Way is HUGE. I got it cleared, but what an annoying mess full of non-stop setbacks.

At least the Ancients were easy. I went through them like a knife through warm butter. Korlic was PI:

View attachment 66765
But my one point Berserk, and newly upgraded The General's Tan Do Li Ga Knout was good enough to handle him.

Then things got messy again. The Worldstone Keep Level 1 had Vile Witches:

View attachment 66766

The worst kind of foe. They spread out, attack at range, and cast Amplify Damage. A couple unique packs met at once nearly ended my journey ... let's hear it for Fat Purples and Taunt.

WSK2 ... no problems ...

WSK3 ... PROBLEMS:

View attachment 66767

Like @skoolbus, I was met at the stairs by two packs of unique Frenzytaurs. As you can see, one of them was cursed :oops: . War Cry kept the 'little' guys stunned. The General's Tan Do Li Ga slowed the uniques so the merc didn't get overwhelmed. We got through them without serious incident ... but what a welcome party!

The Throne of Destruction also had a welcome party:

View attachment 66768

And look, Oblivion Knights too :rolleyes: :

View attachment 66769

Oblivion Knights are immune to Taunt ☹️ . Throw in the chance that Lower Resistance could appear at any moment and you've got yourself a mess! But it wasn't our time to die ...

Next came the waves. We met the first wave at the base of Baal's throne. Bad idea ... Decrepify brought the merc to all but a stand still. We finished off the first wave and then moved out of Baal's Decrepify range. Future waves were drawn out with Taunt. That worked well until the Plucked Chickens. They didn't need to be Taunted and came charging! Fine. You want to go? Let's go! Right out of the throne room main chamber we went ... to a side chamber ... and then teleported back to the now empty main chamber. As always, Baal was most alarmed by this trick and fled. We then went out and picked the Plucked Chickens off one by one ... which with stun and slow, was no big deal at all.

Baal, was also no big deal. We teleported on top of him and the fight never moved. The General's Tan Do Li Ga brought him to a stand still, and the merc, and the Barb's switch Crushflange, then marched right through his hit points.

But wait! NM's not done yet. Cows ... we still have to do The Secret Cow Level. This is where things got really tedious. We entered at players 7, and right away ran into a problem:

View attachment 66770

Stone Skin and a Holy Freeze aura :rolleyes: . Great. The merc has CBF, but Holy Freeze doesn't care. It all but brought the merc to a stop. <Sigh.> Eventually we poked our way through that unique but it did not get better. At players 7 those cows just had too many hit points. I switched to players 5, but not before I'd traveled enough of the interior to get most of the cows set to P7. So it was a long slog through the area ... A very long slog. Still, War Cry kept things pretty safe ... even with lots of foes around:

View attachment 66771
Don't try this with ... um, ... probably any other build ...

After much hacking and whacking, and nerve rattling scenes like the one above, we finally poked our way through The Secret Cow Level!

I had been hoping for a nice rune ... or maybe a nifty socketable ... but all that higher players setting struggle was for not!

At least I got something nice in NM Act V ...

Here's the complete list of set/uniques found in NM Act V:
With 179 mf (+23 mf if the merc kills ... which was pretty much always).

Cathan's Seal, Ring (Bloody Foothills)
Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest, Death Mask (Bloody Foothills) <-- Hello :) .
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Bloody Foothills) <-- Yes, again.
Sazabi's Mental Sheath, Basinet (Frigid Highlands)
Berserker's Headgear, Helm (Frigid Highlands)
Vidala's Barb, Long Battle Bow (Frigid Highlands)
The Mahim-Oak Curio, Amulet (Arreat Plateau)
Goblin Toe, Light Plated Boots (Crystalline Passage) <-- Great! With a different setup ...
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Frozen River)
Manald Heal, Ring (Frozen River)
Iratha's Coil, Crown (Crystalline Passage)
Lance of Yaggai, Spetum (Glacial Trail)
Hsarus' Iron Heel, Chain Boots (Drifter Cavern)
Silks of the Victor, Ancient Armor (Halls of Anguish)
Sigon's Sabot, Greaves (Infernal Pit)
Sigon's Gage, Gauntlets (Frozen Tundra)
Hwanin's Justice, Bill (Frozen Tundra)
Sigon's Wrap, Plated Belt (The Ancients' Way)
Sander's Superstition, Bone Wand (The Ancients' Way)
Cleglaw's Tooth, Long Sword (The Ancients' Way)
Cleglaw's Tooth, Long Sword (The Ancients' Way) <-- Yes, another.
Tancred's Crowbill, Military Pick (The Worldstone Keep Level 1)
Steelclash, Kite Shield (The Worldstone Keep Level 2)
Nagelring, Ring (The Worldstone Keep Level 3) <-- 19 mf ...
Sander's Taboo, Heavy Gloves (The Worldstone Keep Level 3)
Wizendraw, Long Battle Bow (Throne of Destruction)

The Jade Tan Do, Kris (The Secret Cow Level)
Bladebuckle, Plated Belt (The Cow King)
Cleglaw's Pincers, Chain Gloves (The Cow King)
Culwen's Point, War Sword (The Secret Cow Level)

Well, I can't say I didn't find anything. And yes, one of those things was really great!

View attachment 66772

Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
Death Mask
Defense: 115
Durability: 11 of 20
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 66
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x75c8d299
+60 to Life
+30 to Mana
+45 Defense
All Resistances +15
10% Life stolen per hit
10% Mana stolen per hit

Found via Item Find! It'd be great on the Barb, but since the merc is doing all the killing, he gets first dibs. It replaced a rare circlet with 3% life leech and All Resistances +17 ... and some trash mods. Couple the Tal's mask with Duriel's Shell (also found via Item Find :cool: ) and the merc is ready for Hell! The Barb, not so much ...

Code:
SP  Forum Name         Characters        Level   Furthest WP             Points
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          88/87   Guardian x2                200
N   PhineasB           Necro/Druid       83/83   Guardian x2                200
N   Booble             Sorc/Druid        74/70   Matriarch / Deeds          174
Y   skoolbus           Druid/Sorc        74/74   (H) Blood Moor             124
Y   Hanshotfirst       Barb/Necro*       74/56*  (H) Rogue Encampment       100
N   Crudesash68        Zon/Paladin       46/50   (N) Lut Gholein            67
Y   Pb_pal             Sorc/Zon          45/44   (N) Rogue Encampment       60
Y   Gynli              Zon/Necro         32/48   (N) Rogue Encampment       51
N   Swamigoon          Sin/Druid         45/33   WSK2                       41
N   DariusTriplet      Sorc/Zon          31/24   River of Flame             32
Y   Maltatai           Druid/Druid       24/24   Far Oasis                  14
Y   Vildecor           Zon/Sorc          21/20   Lut Gholein                12
N   Arjan              Druid/Necro       20/18   Lut Gholein                11
N   CaseyJones         Sorc/Druid        15/23   Lut Gholein                9
N   Zedwardson         Sorc/Necro         13/17   Catacombs                 9
N   Zedwardson         Druid/Paladin     3/18    Lut Gholein                7
Y   b1ur               Paladin/Druid     20/1    Lut Gholein                6

Up next: I suppose I'd better do some gear rearranging before starting Hell. As is, my resistances in Hell are right around 30 ... that doesn't seem like a good idea. I really would have loved to have found a Vipermagi, or a Lum Rune (Smoke), or another Duriel's, or a Goldskin ... heck, starting NM Act IV I started looking for a four socketed armor I could stuff runes into for resistances ... I didn't find any of them. So, not quite sure what options that leaves me ... I've got my NM socket quest and a whole heck of a lot of unused stat points:

View attachment 66773
Remember, no respecs in 1.11b.

I'm sure I'll figure something out ...
Congrats

Reactions: mulligan
Screenshot from 2021-08-25 17-11-44.png

I had it all prepped up, and wasn't able to do it yesterday, but Cyrus the Necromancer beat Andy on /P4.

Had to go to the southern room to get some fresh bodies, but really was no threat -- note to self, next time have mana on your belt.

I think I will get Cyrus onwards to act two before I move my Sorc forward though act 1, I have too many HC in act one right now.

SP Forum Name Characters Level Furthest WP Points -- ----------------- ---------------- ------ ---------------------- ------- Y Hanshotfirst Sorc/Sin 88/87 Guardian x2 200 N PhineasB Necro/Druid 83/83 Guardian x2 200 N Booble Sorc/Druid 74/70 Matriarch / Deeds 174 Y skoolbus Druid/Sorc 74/74 (H) Blood Moor 124 Y Hanshotfirst Barb/Necro* 74/56* (H) Rogue Encampment 100 N Crudesash68 Zon/Paladin 46/50 (N) Lut Gholein 67 Y Pb_pal Sorc/Zon 45/44 (N) Rogue Encampment 60 Y Gynli Zon/Necro 32/48 (N) Rogue Encampment 51 N Swamigoon Sin/Druid 45/33 WSK2 41 N DariusTriplet Sorc/Zon 31/24 River of Flame 32 Y Maltatai Druid/Druid 24/24 Far Oasis 14 Y Vildecor Zon/Sorc 21/20 Lut Gholein 12 N Arjan Druid/Necro 20/18 Lut Gholein 11 N Zedwardson Sorc/Necro 13/18 Lut Gholein 10 N CaseyJones Sorc/Druid 15/23 Lut Gholein 9 N Zedwardson Druid/Paladin 3/18 Sewers 8 Y b1ur Paladin/Druid 20/1 Lut Gholein 6

Reactions: Arjan
View attachment 66793

I had it all prepped up, and wasn't able to do it yesterday, but Cyrus the Necromancer beat Andy on /P4.

Had to go to the southern room to get some fresh bodies, but really was no threat -- note to self, next time have mana on your belt.

I think I will get Cyrus onwards to act two before I move my Sorc forward though act 1, I have too many HC in act one right now.

SP Forum Name Characters Level Furthest WP Points -- ----------------- ---------------- ------ ---------------------- ------- Y Hanshotfirst Sorc/Sin 88/87 Guardian x2 200 N PhineasB Necro/Druid 83/83 Guardian x2 200 N Booble Sorc/Druid 74/70 Matriarch / Deeds 174 Y skoolbus Druid/Sorc 74/74 (H) Blood Moor 124 Y Hanshotfirst Barb/Necro* 74/56* (H) Rogue Encampment 100 N Crudesash68 Zon/Paladin 46/50 (N) Lut Gholein 67 Y Pb_pal Sorc/Zon 45/44 (N) Rogue Encampment 60 Y Gynli Zon/Necro 32/48 (N) Rogue Encampment 51 N Swamigoon Sin/Druid 45/33 WSK2 41 N DariusTriplet Sorc/Zon 31/24 River of Flame 32 Y Maltatai Druid/Druid 24/24 Far Oasis 14 Y Vildecor Zon/Sorc 21/20 Lut Gholein 12 N Arjan Druid/Necro 20/18 Lut Gholein 11 N Zedwardson Sorc/Necro 13/18 Lut Gholein 10 N CaseyJones Sorc/Druid 15/23 Lut Gholein 9 N Zedwardson Druid/Paladin 3/18 Sewers 8 Y b1ur Paladin/Druid 20/1 Lut Gholein 6
Congrats on beating Andy! Good Luck in act II

Reactions: Zedwardson
Act II or the time things will go sour.

Rattle beat Andy... twice now, because I wanted to know if she really was that much harder to kill without fire skills available or if I forgot to put players down from players 8. It was the 2nd part... So Andy went down on p8 with moderate running around and screaming to my screen.

Andy_rattle.png

She dropped some coolness wich the Druid will wear because it matches his belt.

Hsarus_rattle.png

I am loving the Weaken Charges and the Stealth rune word. Will be keeping my eyes open for a 3 socketed Boneshield to make an Ancient Pledge and will scan the vendors for more charges on wands. Life Tap would be nice, Lower resist can't hurt too.

I decided I'd go for a hopping routine. So Guthrie made it out of act I first, so no I'll clear act II with Rattle first, then bring Guthrie up to Act III, so I'll have a longer periode to play each character in one stretch. But... and this is a rather big but too... I have never not died in act II. Usually there is a room there somewhere where I just barge in and find that maybe that wasn't such a great thing to do. Ok... I have adapted to HC a bit by going slower... but still. The journey could be just around every corner in this act!

First things first: get me my damn cube!

SP Forum Name Characters Level Furthest WP Points -- ----------------- ---------------- ------ ---------------------- ------- Y Hanshotfirst Sorc/Sin 88/87 Guardian x2 200 N PhineasB Necro/Druid 83/83 Guardian x2 200 N Booble Sorc/Druid 74/70 Matriarch / Deeds 174 Y skoolbus Druid/Sorc 74/74 (H) Blood Moor 124 Y Hanshotfirst Barb/Necro* 74/56* (H) Rogue Encampment 100 N Crudesash68 Zon/Paladin 46/50 (N) Lut Gholein 67 Y Pb_pal Sorc/Zon 45/44 (N) Rogue Encampment 60 Y Gynli Zon/Necro 32/48 (N) Rogue Encampment 51 N Swamigoon Sin/Druid 45/33 WSK2 41 N DariusTriplet Sorc/Zon 31/24 River of Flame 32 Y Maltatai Druid/Druid 24/24 Far Oasis 14 Y Vildecor Zon/Sorc 21/20 Lut Gholein 12 N Arjan Druid/Necro 20/21 Lut Gholein 12 N Zedwardson Sorc/Necro 13/18 Lut Gholein 10 N CaseyJones Sorc/Druid 15/23 Lut Gholein 9 N Zedwardson Druid/Paladin 3/18 Sewers 8 Y b1ur Paladin/Druid 20/1 Lut Gholein 6

Edit: upon entering Lut Gholein I decided to change merc and gamble a bit for his gear and some of my less ok pieces... and then this happened! Why did I pick two caster type classes?Rattle Gamble.png

Last edited:
And so it came to pass that Rattle cruised through Act II and not a thing happened. No notable drops, no NDE, no nothing. Rattle started to call them the fundead because he got to toy with them, a lot…

Hitting the 24 skills made all the difference. Bone prison is such a gem and it adds to the damage from bone spear too… Duriel was easy (didn’t drop anything useful of course).

I did get a lot of runes. Really a lot. I switched the weaken charges wand with a +1 boneskill one. Didn’t find useful other charges yet (looking for life tap, teleport or static field). Probably too early in game for those yet.
After he finished the last fake tomb he took his gear off, hung it too dry and took some R&R.

meanwhile in the rogue camp Guthrie had been doing absolutely nothing… and it showed. Guthrie didn’t have fun with the undead. They nearly took the gut out of Guthrie.
hopefully getting him to level 24 will start to make a difference, because boy he does struggle.
But he did find not 1 but 2 uniques in his first go. He kept the two handed axe because that freezes so his merc has more time to kill the rubble.

Didn’t find useful other charges yet (looking for life tap, teleport or static field).

Now that you've cleared Act II you'll be able to shop Life Tap wands and Teleport staves at Ormus. Sadly, you won't be able to find or shop any items with Static Field charges.

Also, glad to hear Act II went well (y) . I'm hoping you can take your Bone Necro all the way! Mine exited far too early ...

Now that you've cleared Act II you'll be able to shop Life Tap wands and Teleport staves at Ormus. Sadly, you won't be able to find or shop any items with Static Field charges.

Also, glad to hear Act II went well (y) . I'm hoping you can take your Bone Necro all the way! Mine exited far too early ...
Right…crushing blow it is! On the merc then of course, because Rattle ain’t getting near those scary monsters.

I am starting to feel more confident that I might be able to do this. But there lays the danger too.

Yours met his end way too early. I think I have skill points figured out in this build but any other tips you can give me on how you played him would be appreciated (I don’t have the ladder runeword mod)

Reactions: Kartongen
No big update (trying to do big updates only on act completion or other important milestones) but my Necro is up to level 24 and made it though the arcane sanctuary. (The Maggot lair on /p5 with a summon-necro was awful and not fun at all.) but his items are...lacking. (Best things on him is Steel and Stealth with Gorefoot ) So it might be time to do some topaz MF and try to improve his equipment.

Reactions: Kartongen
No big update (trying to do big updates only on act completion or other important milestones) but my Necro is up to level 24 and made it though the arcane sanctuary. (The Maggot lair on /p5 with a summon-necro was awful and not fun at all.) but his items are...lacking. (Best things on him is Steel and Stealth with Gorefoot ) So it might be time to do some topaz MF and try to improve his equipment.
Me with any random character: I soooo hate that maggot lair. I can’t understand they made this!

Me with a bone necro: I love the maggot lair, why aren’t all the acts like this.

• Haha
Reactions: Zedwardson
Screenshot from 2021-08-28 14-49-19.png

Act II normal is complete, It was surprisingly easy -- normally II can be quite deadly to my HC characters, but my Cyrus the Necro let his minions do the work for the most part.

Put on a topaz Helmet and started to upgrade gear on a regular basis. Now it time send Alexis my ice Sorc a large care package and get her to act II before starting act III.

(Note,not actually gone to act III yet,but I am listing the docks since Its just a transition film away.

SP Forum Name Characters Level Furthest WP Points -- ----------------- ---------------- ------ ---------------------- ------- Y Hanshotfirst Sorc/Sin 88/87 Guardian x2 200 N PhineasB Necro/Druid 83/83 Guardian x2 200 N Booble Sorc/Druid 74/70 Matriarch / Deeds 174 Y skoolbus Druid/Sorc 74/74 (H) Blood Moor 124 Y Hanshotfirst Barb/Necro* 74/56* (H) Rogue Encampment 100 N Crudesash68 Zon/Paladin 46/50 (N) Lut Gholein 67 Y Pb_pal Sorc/Zon 45/44 (N) Rogue Encampment 60 Y Gynli Zon/Necro 32/48 (N) Rogue Encampment 51 N Swamigoon Sin/Druid 45/33 WSK2 41 N DariusTriplet Sorc/Zon 31/24 River of Flame 32 N Zedwardson Sorc/Necro 13/26 Kurask docks 16 Y Maltatai Druid/Druid 24/24 Far Oasis 14 Y Vildecor Zon/Sorc 21/20 Lut Gholein 12 N Arjan Druid/Necro 20/21 Lut Gholein 12 N CaseyJones Sorc/Druid 15/23 Lut Gholein 9 N Zedwardson Druid/Paladin 3/18 Lut Gholein 7 Y b1ur Paladin/Druid 20/1 Lut Gholein 6

Reactions: Arjan
I think I have skill points figured out in this build but any other tips you can give me on how you played him would be appreciated (I don’t have the ladder runeword mod)
Well, mine met his end as a result of a very specific failure ... having the switch weapon (Teleport staff) out at exactly the wrong the moment ...

In general though, I did notice some other potential problems as I played:

1) Bone Armor only protects the Necromancer from Physical Damage. Perhaps because I was just coming off playing a Soceress that used Energy Shield, I kept finding myself expecting that Bone Armor would help with all damage types ... it does not. Don't let it give you a false sense of security!

2) Stay agile! Because Bone Spear shoots in a straight line, I often found myself tempted to stand in the position that was most advantageous for damaging the maximum number of foes ... even when it put my character at risk. Listen to Liam Neeson's character in Batman Begins: Don't sacrifice your footing for a killing a blow!

3) Necromancers tend to be low life characters. 1 point in vitality only gives 2 life. So, at clvl 56, with only 70 points in strength and the rest in vitality, I still only had ~600 life. And as I demonstrated, with low life, one mistake can end your journey in the blink of an eye. Calibrate the aggressiveness of your game play accordingly ...

4) And related to the low life issue ... Since your untwinked Necromancer probably doesn't have too many hit points, having meat shields can be huge! Clay Golem, and Revives are normally a very important part of my Bone Necro build. I am nearly constantly casting Clay Golem out in front of my character using it to scout and collect dangerous foes (far away from my Necro). Revives tend to just swarm around the screen giving foes lots of other things to target other than my character. If I'd had Clay Golem or Revives I'm sure that I would not have died when I did ... even with aggressive/sloppy game play. However, the skill tree restrictions of this tournament is where this last recommendation gets tricky ... Sure summons will make a huge difference for your Bone Necro, but do you need that second skill tree unlocked on your other character more? Only you can say!

I bet the forces of Hell thought they had me stymied. They thought wrong:

Screenshot838.jpg

Hell Act I is complete! And not only is it complete, it's been fully cleared (mostly at players 5)! That's right, not one monster survived!

Things started off looking bleak. I hadn't found a melee weapon for the Barb in NM and my resistances weren't great (~30 for fire, cold, and lightning). I needed to figure out some gear reshuffling ... but didn't have much in the way of options. Actually, I wasn't seeing any ... so that made things easy. I'll just add some more resistance charms and start Hell with the same exact gear with which I started NM :rolleyes: ... what could go wrong?

Well, right out of the gates we started having problems:

Screenshot790.jpg

Oh goody, a P5 PI zombie. The merc is using Tal's Mask, Duriel's Shell, and a Partizan Insight with just about the worst damage roll possible. Even with Battle Cry, the merc was no help (really, absolutely no help at all :( ). Okay, so it's up to Arthur. The Angelic Ring and Amulet combo is still doing great things for his attack rating, so let's get to work! ... with The General's Tan Do Li Ga Knout, and a one point wonder Berserk. So we whacked, and we hacked, and in the end the zombie broke before the weapon ... but not by much ...

So that was time consuming and annoying, leading me to ask: Do I really want to do this? Surely I've got better things to do with my D2 time. Well, I do have the only Barb in the tournament ... I guess I better show up and represent! Okay, so I've still got 179 mf +23 when the merc kills, which is pretty much always ... maybe I can find some stuff and turn this around!

And indeed, I did find a couple of interesting items very early on:

Screenshot793.jpg

Screenshot794.jpg

Wohoo! An elite one-handed set/unique! That's unexpected, I skipped the exceptional one-handed set/uniques and went straight to an elite! But, ... it's not the best elite one-handed set/unique around ... in fact it's probably one of the least interesting ... and while I have the stat points saved to meet the strength requirement ... do I really want to spend sixty of them to get there? I decided no. Similar issue with the IK helm. I would love to have more mf, War Cries +skills, (and a cool looking hat), but the magic circlet I'm using has +20 to All Resistances ... and with my resistances only in the mid 50's as-is, I just can't afford to lose twenty. So encouraging finds, but nothing that I was ready to equip ... Still, I suppose it helped spur me on!

Game play was much the same as it was at the end of NM. War Cry stuns the monsters, Taunt draws the stragglers to me, Battle Cry weakens the lot, and the merc does the killing:

Screenshot796.jpg

Berserk or Concentrate is used as needed on champions and uniques that could not be stunned. The General's Tan Do Li Ga Knout was great for slowing these foes, but the damage was ... less than optimal ...

And so we struggled on through P5 monsters hoping to find something useful. It took a long time:

Screenshot818.jpg

Aha! Our first elite polearm. Is it socketed? Is it eth? Could it be both?

Screenshot819.jpg

Great! We'll take it! ... But now for that perennial question: How to equip that 210 strength required weapon on the merc? Hmm. Turned out to be pretty easy this time around. Duriel's Shell (+15 strength) was a good start. Using the NM socket quest to add a Pamethyst was a no brainer.

Screenshot820.jpg
It's really easy to get behind the idea of socketing a +199% ED Duriel's Shell :cool: .

But we still needed a bit more ... so I swapped out Tal's Mask for this circlet I'd gambled in NM:

Grim Cowl
Circlet
Defense: 51
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 60
Item Level: 66
Fingerprint: 0x6427b714
+16 to Strength
+17 to Dexterity
+33 to Life
+55 to Mana
+65% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +15

No life leech, but a pretty handy collection of stats! I suspected that the loss of life leech wouldn't be a big deal given that most foes were stunned ... and yeah, it really wasn't missed. Regardless, we needed more damage than the Insight Partizan could provide, and this did the trick:

Insight
Colossus Voulge
'RalTirTalSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 66 to 562
Durability: 42 of 50
Required Dexterity: 55
Required Strength: 210
Required Level: 48
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0xe861bc51
+5 to Strength
+5 to Energy
+5 to Dexterity
+5 to Vitality
+241% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+75 poison damage over 5 seconds
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+1 to Critical Strike
35% Faster Cast Rate
222% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 16 Meditation Aura When Equipped
Socketed (4: 4 used)

Shame that the Critical Strike rolled +1 ... but oh well. We have a weapon! By God, we finally have a weapon!

Needless to say, the Outer Cloister onward, went appreciably faster (y) .

So that sums up Hell Act I for the merc, but then it was Arthur's turn to have some interesting drops.

And I'll tell you all about them ... after work ... unless work runs long ... then it'll be after work and after bed ...

The point is, neither the Barb or I are done just yet! (y)

Last edited:
@HanShotFirst The CoA is by far the rarest item I've ever found on a single pass untwinked character (probably haven't seen 5 Coronas the entire time I've played D2 :ROFLMAO: ). When it dropped, I thought for sure there had to be a Horizon's Tornado/Stormlash situation going on and while it would be rare, it wouldn't be useful. I was quite shocked an item that unbelievably good dropped, and on top of it to get 2 sockets and above average rolls.
That's impressive you managed to equip a non-ethereal CV. That's the only kind of of elite polearm that's been dropping for me and I haven't even tried to figure out a way to equip the merc with it. 😅

That said, what else was in store for Shiva? Do more good finds await her? Stay tuned to see!
Picking up after the finding the CoA (wearing most of her MF gear still paid off it seems) Shiva continued plowing through Act I. I decided to make a concerted effort to get her level up so that I could actually equip the CoA, it'd be a shame to find an item that good and not ever use it! I did the majority of Act I on /p3. The toughest situations were Treehand and similar packs. My merc is basically useless and dies very quick any time more than 2 mobs are beating on him. Treehand was annoying because I lack a good way to split them up, and you really need to cast all your Hydras in the same spot and hold the mob in one place. Nonetheless, with enough patience, and merc resurrections, they were all eventually killed.

The next good find came in the Cave:
Screenshot166.jpg

If only I had gone the enchantress route... The countess dropped a Shael and Ort rune, of which I have many and no real use for, but at least she dropped runes! My last character got stiffed by her in Hell. In the Hole, a great item dropped, and one with a mod I've been painfully without for the majority of the game, CBF.
Screenshot171.jpg
I gave it to the merc. Around this point was when I rearranged Shiva's gear. I made a Smoke light plate and a Rhyme heater for her. I also respec'ed and gave her enough dex for ~50% block. The Smoke overcapped my resists bigtime, and as you can see in the above picture, my life is pretty abysmal. In an effort to raise it up, I was forced to remove some very good armor pieces to equip fairly lackluster ones, but ones with +life. Prime example, I stashed these:

Soul Hold
Demonhide Gloves
Defense: 29
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 26
Item Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xee9ad657
Fire Resist +26%
Lightning Resist +20%
Cold Resist +29%
3% Life stolen per hit
Half Freeze Duration

And replaced them with Bloodfist, the +40 life is simply too valuable. I equipped some rings with mediocre +life as well. In the Inner Cloister I screwed up big time. Once again, mobs were totally ignoring my merc, and as soon as I cleared it out, I dropped 3 GCs to make space to pick up loot and sell it. Without thinking, I save and exited to fix the bug without picking the charms back up! I lost a cold resist, lightning resist, and sustenance GCs. Luckily, I had a functional duplicate of the cold resist one, and fairly soon after found a much better lightning resist one, so it was a mostly short lived pain. What I did decide to do is keep space open in my inventory from now on so I don't have any more accidents like that. Andy was easily killed on /p3, didn't drop anything useful.

Act II started out with about 5 champ/unique packs of CI spear throwers right outside town... It was a dicey situation, but eventually they were all mopped up. When the dust settled:
Screenshot174.jpg
An end game worthy shield to be sure. I'm still opting for the Rhyme shield for the CBF, but the Whitstan's easily gives Shiva max block. A definite candidate for a socket quest and PDiamond. Pretty shortly thereafter:
Screenshot175.jpg
And from an Urn! Not very useful, but an elite unique from an Urn was exciting. Unfortunately, once Shiva got to the Dry Hills, I kept getting hit hard by the ignore merc bug. I would try and deal with it until I got to a convenient S&E point, but it was a constant state of peril. In the Hall of the Dead, another rare drop:
Screenshot176.jpg
That's the highest rune I've ever found on a single pass character. Unfortunately, none of the runewords that use it are very good for Shiva, my best hope is to find another and cube to a Vex. I very nearly deeded her almost immediately after. Once I'd cleared a bunch, I was sprinting to go back to the southeast path, and didn't start walking until I ran headfirst into a unique pack of spear throwers where I ate a bunch of spears. A couple of full rejuvs and she was ok.

Shiva barely survived another close encounter in the maggot lair. I accidently got surrounded and tried to TP out, but it was too far away. I kept spamming FOs and Hydras, and eventually I must have killed something and was able to TP out. I had 0 potions left in my belt...

The Claw Viper Temple was another major fiasco, and another almost deeds. I did put it on /p1 before going in. Once again, mobs ignoring the merc (in case it's not apparent, I'm quite sick of this by now....) happened right before the second level. I thought, "Oh, you'll be fine to clear out Fangskin, Hydra will probably take him out before you see him". That was not the case. It did take out all buy 3 vipers, Fangskin and 2 of his cronies, but I made the mistake of running back up the stairs. I tried to dim vision them, but it lasted no more than a second, so in the end, the only thing I could do was get wailed on and chug rejuvs. Luckily I had enough in my stash to kill them. After this, I no longer let the merc out of my sight. It's laborious baby sitting him so closely, but at this point it's necessary.

The next item found (though this time I came up just short) was from Fire Eye in the Palace Cellar:
Screenshot179.jpg
Triple durability! Oh well, can't cry over what could have been. I also found a white Tiara, and imbued it, but only got 3 mods, and sold it. Still have her normal and NM imbues, will probably save the next 2 circlet type helmets and use on those.

However, once I had cleared out the Palace Cellers, Chalan hit level 82! I promptly muled the CoA back on and stuck 2 Sol runes in it (these are the only socketables I have that really do ANYTHING in there). I definitely noticed an improvement in his survivability afterwards. It's still not great, but it's better. I had decided not to give it Shiva since Chalan could probably make better use of it (he needed some resists and the %DR will probably help him out more). I dropped it to /p1, and from this point on it'll stay on /p1. I cleared out 2 false tombs, and then just killed Duriel on /p3. He didn't drop anything good. At this point, I am going to stop doing mostly full clears and just try and get her to Guardian. I played very sloppily in Act II and to be honest, I'm pretty lucky she's still alive. I've found a blue GPA and Cryptic Axe, and I've been trying to reroll them with chippies, but I'm nearly out of chippies and didn't get anything good. Really could use white elite polearms to drop so I can attempt socketing them.

But next will be Ifrit's turn! He's going to be going on /p1 for Act I and II, there's so many fire immunes, and his only solution is Grizzly, Volcano, and a merc with a not too great weapon.

... okay, back from work and a beautiful slumber ...

Where was I? Oh yes!

We fought a bunch of scary P5 monsters:

Screenshot806.jpg

Including a good number scary PI P5 monsters:

Screenshot816.jpg

Then following the Tamoe Highland, the merc got upgraded from an Insight Partizan to an Insight Colossus Voulge.

Insight
Partizan
'RalTirTalSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 111 to 226
Durability: 45 of 65
Required Dexterity: 67
Required Strength: 113
Required Level: 27
Item Level: 43
Fingerprint: 0xf91e60d7
+5 to Strength
+5 to Energy
+5 to Dexterity
+5 to Vitality
+202% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+2 to Critical Strike
35% Faster Cast Rate
231% Bonus to Attack Rating
Level 17 Meditation Aura When Equipped

Insight
Colossus Voulge
'RalTirTalSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 66 to 562
Durability: 42 of 50
Required Dexterity: 55
Required Strength: 210
Required Level: 48
Item Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0xe861bc51
+5 to Strength
+5 to Energy
+5 to Dexterity
+5 to Vitality
+241% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+1 to Critical Strike
35% Faster Cast Rate
222% Bonus to Attack Rating
Level 16 Meditation Aura When Equipped

And then it was Arthur's turn for an upgrade:

Screenshot825.jpg

Interesting!

Screenshot826.jpg

Even more interesting!

As you can see, both the Blade of Ali Baba and the Angelic Mantle dropped in the same room in the Barracks! The Blade of Ali Baba was a straight up drop from a unique. The Angelic Mantle was found via Item Find from the pile of champion corpses that Arthur is standing on in the first screenshot :D . And so now it was time to shuffle a lot of gear! Angelic Mantle plus the amulet and rings is awesome! I mean, mostly I use it for twinking at clvl 12 ... but in a pinch it holds up in Hell. Adding the Angelic armor to the amulet and ring adds +50 Mana (set bonus), +50 MF (per ring), +1 To All Skills (amulet), and Fire Resist +50% (armor). Sweet! I need all those things. So off went the four PTopaz Gothic Plate and I dropped the magic ring with 118 mana and 16 life in favor of a second Angelic ring because ... +20 to Life, Replenish Life +6, +960 to Attack Rating, and +50 MF is really hard to argue against! So I net picked up a little MF, and added a large amount of resists, and a huge amount of attack rating (note, I do go melee when needed, so AR is still a must for this character)! I was then able to swap around some charms to get my fire, cold, and lightning resistances from the mid 50's to the mid 70's.

But why stop there? Let's do something with that Blade of Ali Baba. The General's Tan Do Li Ga Knout is handy ... but I'm not always needing the Slows Target by 50% ... so I suppose I could stick it in the chest. +80 MF, and two open sockets seems worth it. So what to stick in those sockets ... resistance jewels!

Plague Scarab
Jewel
Required Level: 28
Item Level: 43
Fingerprint: 0x3e6f524a
+8 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +7%
Lightning Resist +7%
Cold Resist +32%
Poison Resist +7%
Adds 5-23 fire damage

Ambergris Jewel
Required Level: 14
Item Level: 54
Fingerprint: 0xefd8aab9
Lightning Resist +29%

The end result:

Blade of Ali Baba
Tulwar
One-Hand Damage: 26 to 65
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Dexterity: 42
Required Strength: 70
Required Level: 35
Sword Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0x4eb2f000
+7 to Dexterity
+15 to Mana
+65% Enhanced Damage
+8 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +7%
Lightning Resist +36%
Cold Resist +32%
Poison Resist +7%
Adds 5-23 fire damage
2% Extra Gold (Based on Character Level)
1% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Sweet :cool: . That added enough resistances that I decided that I could drop my +20 to All Resistance, +33 MF circlet for the IK helm found in the Den of Evil:

Immortal King's Will
Avenger Guard
Defense: 173
Durability: 55 of 55
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 65
Required Level: 47
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0xc886de01
+125 Defense
37% Extra Gold from Monsters
77% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+4 to Light Radius
+2 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Wohoo! Lots more MF, and another 20 seconds for Battle Orders, and .4 seconds stun for War Cry ... and you know, some other good stuff.

Cool. So to recap, here's the gear that I'll probably be using for a good while here in Hell:

Arthur:
IK Helm, two PTopazes
Blade of Ali Baba, two resistance jewels
Kite Shield, three PDiamonds
Angelic Armor, Amulet, Rings
Sigon's Gloves, Belt, Boots
Resistance and Mana Charms (16 slots open for looting)

Leharas:
Rare Circlet, +Strength, Dex, Life, Resistances
Duriel's Shell, PAmethyst
Insight Colossus Voulge

Now I've got a pretty decent looking magic finder! It's nothing amazing of course ... but just the sort of stuff I was hoping to find for a combination Warcries/Melee Fighter Barb (y) .

So, ending with 314 MF, +23 MF when the merc kills ... which is pretty much always ...
Here's the complete list of set/uniques that resulted from a mostly P5 full clear of Hell Act I:

Isenhart's Case, Breast Plate (Blood Moor)
Dangoon's Teaching, Reinforced Mace (Den of Evil) <-- Could get used.
Immortal King's Will, Avenger Guard (Den of Evil) <-- Nice.
Bloodrise, Morning Star (Den of Evil)
Goblin Toe, Light Plated Boots (Cold Plains)
Vidala's Snare, Amulet (Crypt)
Isenhart's Case, Breast Plate (Crypt)
Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest, Death Mask (Crypt) <-- Ooh, a second. Maybe I'll use it later ...
Civerb's Icon, Amulet (Crypt)
Gravepalm, Sharkskin Gloves (Crypt)
The Jade Tan Do, Kris (Mausoleum) <-- Because if everyone got a CoA, it just wouldn't be special ...
Milabrega's Orb, Kite Shield (Cave Level 1)
Naj's Circlet, Circlet (Cave Level 2)
Angelic Sickle, Sabre (Stony Field)
Humongous, Giant Axe (Stony Field)
Isenhart's Parry, Gothic Shield (Underground Passage Level 1)
Sander's Riprap, Heavy Boots (Underground Passage Level 1)
Magnus' Skin, Sharkskin Gloves (Hole Level 1) <-- Interesting ...
Venom Ward, Breast Plate (Pit Level 1)
Isenhart's Case, Breast Plate (Pit Level 1)
Verdungo's Hearty Cord, Mithril Coil (Pit Level 1) <-- Hello!
Blade of Ali Baba, Tulwar (Barracks)
Angelic Mantle, Ring Mail (Barracks)

--- Here's where MF went up ---

Goldwrap, Heavy Belt (Jail Level 3)
Hellplague, Long Sword (Jail Level 3)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Jail Level 3)
Berserker's Headgear, Helm (Inner Cloister)
Ripsaw, Flamberge (Catacombs Level 2)
Isenhart's Lightbrand, Broad Sword (Catacombs Level 3)
String of Ears, Demonhide Sash (Andariel) <-- Nice! 12% DR, 7% LL, 13 MDR.
The Grim Reaper, War Scythe (Andariel)

So perhaps it's a bit soon to notice an uptick in set/unique drops ... they were already pretty good before I upped my mf ... Let's see what Act II looks like!

Here was the most interesting drop that I'm not currently using:

Screenshot824.jpg

Verdungo's Hearty Cord
Mithril Coil
Defense: 136
Durability: 9 of 16
Required Strength: 106
Required Level: 63
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x1f51887b
+36 to Vitality
+109 to Maximum Stamina
+107% Enhanced Defense
Damage Reduced by 15%
Replenish Life +11
10% Faster Hit Recovery

What a roll! My second Verdungo's of the tournament, and both rolled 15% DR! I'm not currently using it because my gloves, belt and boots are all Sigon's ... and therefore linked. If I can find some gloves and boots that can cover what I'm getting from Sigon's, I'll use this belt for sure!

I'm also in the market for a better weapon for when Arthur needs to go melee. I've been crafting all the elite axes and maces that I've found, but haven't gotten anything better than Dangoon's Teaching ... which I have the stat points saved to equip ... but don't know that it's worth it ...

And speaking of saved stat points:

Screenshot839.jpg

I've got some options. I think I'd like to have some block vs just dumping those points in vitality ... but don't have any options currently other than creating a Rhyme Heater ... and that would result in the loss of a lot of resistances ... probably not a good idea ... but sitting on so many stat points might not be all that smart either ... Hmm, maybe a Moser's will drop and solve everything :p .

Code:
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   Hanshotfirst       Barb/Necro*       80/56*  (H) Lut Gholein            106
N   Zedwardson         Sorc/Necro        13/26   Kurask docks               16
N   Arjan              Druid/Necro       20/21   Lut Gholein                12

Up next: I've got high hopes for a high quantity of set/uniques in Hell Act II. Maybe one or two of them will even be worth having ;) .

Rattle went through act II in what can only be described as a breeze. How did Guthrie do?

The answer to that, my friend, is blowing in the wind... together with debrie and body parts for that matter.

Guthrie did ok. He lives so that's one thing. He did have some NDE's with mostly poisonrelated monsters.
Upon entering Lut Gholein I changed my way of play. I made it a game of hit and run and let the merc do the killing in the first parts. The axe of Fechmar helps. it freezes regular monsters solid precisely long enough for the merc to kill them. So I walked passed the beasties, freezing them and every now and then I threw a boulder left or right.
Hitting level 24 changed everything because I finally got a userfull skill. So I changed my playstyle yet again. This time I walk on, throw a lot of Tornados and hide behind my merc until my mana has replenshed. Tornado did really well in the crowded tombes of act II. Now it's time to see how it holds up in act III.

Guthrie had some nice drops and with them I got his MF up to 118. 2 nagelrings, a chance guard and a MF circlet and ama. Not bad for now.

the list of things he found in act II:

Axe of fechmar
Arctic Bindings
leadcrow
Cathans seal
Petta Lunata
Isenharts Horns
Angelic wings
Nagelring (he is wearing 2 now)
Chance Guards
Angelic Sickle
Cleglaws Pincers
Beserkers Headgear
isenharts Lightbrand (we allready use 1)

Code:
N   Arjan              Druid/Necro       28/28   Khurast Docks              24

Reactions: Pb_pal
Celeste and Cecilia have both completed Act 2, yay! Normal Act 2 is my second least favorite area in the entire game, only beaten by Nightmare Act 2, haha.

I don't have the patience to write a really nice update, even though I love reading everyone else's updates. So here are a few interesting things.

Savage polearm recipe made this, which has been super strong in A2:

Savage Lochaber Axe
Lochaber Axe
Two Hand Damage: 10 - 98
Durability: 43 of 50
Required Level: 21
Required Strength: 80
Fingerprint: 0x3b01117a
Item Level: 50
Version: Expansion 1.10+
70% Enhanced Damage

This belt was such a nice find, just for the poison resistance.

Screenshot071.jpg

Nagelring number 2!! Two unique rings, and no Manald Heal :O

Screenshot072.jpg

Can someone add me to the table?

Twin Assassins, level 28. Act III next.

Reactions: Pb_pal and Arjan
GunnySack-I has now caught up with his partner.
Grdq.png
GrBaal.png
Ga5winR.png
Diablo dropped both a Battlebranch and an Iceblink, and Gunny used both throughout act 5. Baal dropped a Woestave, which I expect will also be very useful.

Both of my characters have yet to visit the Wirt's-Leg Wonderlevel, so before continuing to NM, each will stay in regular difficulty a bit longer, to cull a few steers and heifers.

Code:
N   Swamigoon          Sin/Druid         45/45   WSK2                       60
N   Arjan              Druid/Necro       28/28   Khurast Docks              24
N   Dazliare           Sin/Sin           28/28   Kurast Docks               24

Reactions: Pb_pal
Well... that ended sadly and unexpected.

I wasn't really happy with the wind druid but had good hopes to get him a bit further and open up his 2nd tree. Since that didn't happen and I am still in act II with Rattle I think I will make another character and start anew

Attachments

• Guthrie_the end.png
    Guthrie_the end.png
    517 KB · Views: 5
Well... that ended sadly and unexpected.

I wasn't really happy with the wind druid but had good hopes to get him a bit further and open up his 2nd tree. Since that didn't happen and I am still in act II with Rattle I think I will make another character and start anew
That hurts, glad you trying again.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High