The Three-Legged Race Tournament

Ker-splat!

Screenshot603.jpg

And Baal (and the rest of Normal) is down for the count!

My Concentrate Barb has done a players 7 clear of Act V.

Out of the gates the question was: Do I use the big slow axe, or the small fast flail? I was guessing axe.

Savage Giant Axe of Slaughter
Two-Hand Damage: 38 to 97
Durability: 48 of 50
Required Strength: 70
Required Level: 19
Axe Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0x9721d7f6
+74% Enhanced Damage
+19 to Maximum Damage

The General's Tan Do Li Ga
Flail
One-Hand Damage: 2 to 57
Durability: 26 of 30
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 41
Required Level: 21
Mace Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0x92344ee6
+55% Enhanced Damage
+1 to Minimum Damage
+20 to Maximum Damage
+25 Defense
5% Mana stolen per hit
20% Increased Attack Speed
150% Damage to Undead
Slows Target by 50%

I was wrong. Neither was great ... or even good ... but the axe proved to be slow ... far too slow ... and it left me needing to replenish mana. So the choice was clear, The General's Tan Do Li Ga, Flail (henceforth to be referred to as TG's). TG's didn't do much damage against players 7 monsters, but the mana leech at least meant that it was self sustaining (and there's nothing not to like about the Slows Target by 50% (y) ). I also decided that I'd drop my mf boots for Sigon's. With Sigon's belt and boots I got the 10% life leech bonus and I started to feel like a real melee character! Fast attack speed, 10% life leech, 5% mana leech, ~650 life, what's not to like? Oh right, the damage ... With TG's, I was self sustaining (not needing life or mana potions), but slow, oh so slow. I was whacking through monsters in more than a half dozen hits. The merc, using a savage partizan, wasn't doing much better. We were super safe, I think my health only budged off full once or twice the entire act ... but felt a little too slow and steady ... like we were waiting for something to go BANG!

A white partizan dropped in the Frigid Highlands.

Screenshot588.jpg

It turned out to be ilvl 33!
Side note: It was also the only white partizan we saw the entire act ...

And then the big one:

Screenshot592.jpg

We found out what Frozenstein keeps in it's nasty little pocketses!

After rescuing Anya, I recognized that the Glacial Trail wp was one teleport from the entrance and after grabbing the wp took a little break. I showed Larzuk the white partizan and then created:

Screenshot593.jpg

Insight
Partizan
'RalTirTalSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 129 to 264
Durability: 65 of 65
Required Dexterity: 67
Required Strength: 113
Required Level: 27
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0xe7be535d
+5 to Strength
+5 to Energy
+5 to Dexterity
+5 to Vitality
+253% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+75 poison damage over 5 seconds
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+6 to Critical Strike
35% Faster Cast Rate
230% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 13 Meditation Aura When Equipped
Socketed (4: 4 used)

So let the conspiracy theories commence! My Insight rolls in this tournament have been: 248% ED, 255% ED, 257% ED, and now 253% ED! ... and a perfect Critical Strike roll to boot! My understanding of the tournament rules is that the Barb can't use this due to the +Critical Strike mod ... so it went straight to the merc. And what a difference it made! For starters, Leharas refused to be called just Leharas. From that point on, he insisted on being referred to as 'Leharas the Reaver'. And I suppose why not? If you're killing everything in one or two hits I suppose a special moniker is appropriate ...

With Leharas reborn as, Leharas the Reaver, the rest of Act V was very different. The new plan was that Arthur didn't bother killing anything entirely all by himself. His new job was to run into mobs and tag everything with the Slows Target by 50% effect ... and then provide some decoy duty ... while Leharas wiped the floor with everything in sight. At last, now there's an effective team plan! Nothing could stand against the duo, and it was particularly satisfying to watch speedy foes like Frenzytaurs slowed to a crawl before being slaughtered by Leharas the Reaver! The only monsters that required special consideration were Baal's Plucked Chickens. They were led out of the Throne Room and then Arthur teleported back into the Throne Room via a side chamber. Baal was so alarmed by this magic trick that he fled. With their dark overlord deserting them, the Plucked Chickens then lost all unit cohesion and I was able to pick them off one or two at a time. Easy peasy. Baal himself was even easier. I had thought that you needed Slows Target by 75% to totally disable Baal ... turns out 50% does the trick. I teleported onto Baal at the get go and the battle never moved. He never cloned, or sent up tentacles, or teleported ... he just sat there attacking in slow motion, occasionally impotently attempting a special move ... but to no avail. Leharas the Reaver, kept on him, and soon enough he was dead.

He dropped a couple nice items and a good number of set/uniques were found throughout Act V.

Here's the complete list of set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of Act V:
With 140 mf (+96 mf if the merc kills ... which was quite a lot)!

Wormskull, Bone Helm (Frigid Highlands) <-- Sweet! I've only been able to gamble 3% LL on circlets.
The Jade Tan Do, Kris (Abaddon)
Soulflay, Claymore (Pit of Acheron)
Isenhart's Parry, Gothic Shield (Drifter Cavern)
Venom Ward, Breast Plate (Halls of Anguish)
Arctic Binding, Light Belt (Halls of Anguish) <-- See below.
Arctic Furs, Quilted Armor (Halls of Pain) <-- The 40% mf bonus would have been nice ... long ago ...
The General's Tan Do Li Ga, Flail (Worldstone Keep Level 2) <-- This one's perfect :cool: .
Vidala's Barb, Long Battle Bow (Worldstone Keep Level 3)
The Battlebranch, Poleaxe (Baal) <-- Again, would have been nice ... long ago ...
Frostburn, Gauntlets (Baal) <-- Cool, but probably not needed on the Necro ...

So, the Wormskull is on deck. I haven't needed life leech on the merc ... yet ... but when I do, I'll drop the merc's mf helm for the Wormskull. The fact that the second General's Tan Do Li Ga, Flail to be found is perfect, makes upping it much more appealing (yes, I know it's only a 10% ED range ... but still). However, the problem remains, that I'd need a Sol Rune to up a normal weapon ... and so far I've only had the one. Just as well I suppose, the Bone Necro is going to take on NM Act I & II before the Concentrate Barb plays again ... perhaps I'll find something better ...

However, before the Bone Necro could take over, there was one last bit of business left in Normal: Cows. As is often the case, the initial entrance got messy. Despite being careful, multiple waves of cows came all at once ... which was a bit of a problem since only Leharas was doing the killing. However, a bit of teleporting and some TP'ing got things under control, and once there was some room to maneuver it was smooth sailing. Arthur slowed and provided decoy duty, and Leharas, excuse me, Leharas the Reaver, killed. And we were richly rewarded for killing with Leharas' additional +96 mf:

Screenshot607.jpg

Haha! My most wanted set/unique, right near the entrance! With the boots and belt that meant the gloves got a 30% IAS bonus and the boots picked up another 50 mf!

With the additional 50 mf :cool: , here's the set/uniques that resulted from the players 7 Secret Cow Level:
190 mf (+96 if the merc kills ... again, which was nearly always).

Rogue's Bow, Composite Bow (The Secret Cow Level)
Sigon's Gage, Gauntlets (The Secret Cow Level)
Hsarus' Iron Fist, Buckler (The Cow King)
Arctic Binding, Light Belt (The Secret Cow Level)

With the three part Sigon's, and the Angelic amulet/ring, I'm feeling pretty complete :) . It'd be neat if my Bone Necro found a super-awesome weapon for the Barb in NM Act I or II. But a Sol Rune would do ... and I suppose even if that doesn't happen, being the debuffer/crowd controller for the merc should work for the foreseeable future. It was a nice play session :D .

Code:
SP  Forum Name         Characters        Level   Furthest WP             Points
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          88/87   Guardian x2                200
N   PhineasB           Necro/Druid       81/80   (H) Harrogath              184
N   Booble             Sorc/Druid        54/65   (H) Rouge Encampment       124
N   Crudesash68        Zon/Paladin       46/50   (N) Lut Gholein            67
Y   skoolbus           Druid/Sorc        48/49   (N) Dark Wood              60
Y   Pb_pal             Sorc/Zon          45/44   (N) Rogue Encampment       60
Y   Hanshotfirst       Necro/Barb        48/48   (N) Rogue Encampment       60
Y   Gynli              Zon/Necro         32/48   (N) Rogue Encampment       51
N   Swamigoon          Sin/Druid         45/33   WSK2                       41
N   DariusTriplet      Sorc/Zon          31/24   River of Flame             32
Y   Vildecor           Zon/Sorc          21/20   Lut Gholein                12
Y   Maltatai           Druid/Druid       21/15   Lut Gholein Sewers         9
N   CaseyJones         Sorc/Druid        15/23   Lut Gholein                9
Y   b1ur               Paladin/Druid     20/1    Lut Gholein                6

Up next: The Bone Necro gets to take the Insight Partizan out for a spin! I'm really looking forward to casting whatever, whenever, without thinking about the mana cost! It should be great fun! And since I got three out of the four things I asked for last time I asked: I'd like a four socketed sword. I have the runes, now I just need the base (y) . Oh, and perhaps the Angelic armor for the Barb ... but I don't really have my heart set on that ... if in doubt, please drop the sword :D .

Well, time for another update. I was out of town last week, so a lot of this occurred before then (which means I forget most of it 😅)

My last post I did a little complaining...
Then, I picked Shiva (FO Sorc) back up, knowing that the limiting factor to speed clearing Act V was blue potion supply. If she could manage to find a Razorswitch as well.... Notable drops for her in Act V: Bonesnap, second Nagelring, 2 gem shrines, and Mahim-Oak Curio Amulet. Baal didn't drop anything useful, and neither did the cows.
And what do you know! Practically immediately, this drops:
Screenshot101.jpg
Now Shiva and Ifrit are fashionably equipped twins!
Screenshot113.jpg

With max FO and breaking her dependence on mana potions, Shiva flew through Act I and II. Somewhere around the countess
a 4os Gothic Plate dropped, so I stuck 4 Ptopaz in. The only semi noteworthy drops from the rest of the act was a third Nagel (Outer Cloister) and a Fleshrender (possibly useful for Ifrit) from Andy.

The only drop I remember from Act II was a Lum rune in a false tomb. Duriel dropped junk, as per usual. Shiva is sitting in Kurast at level 60.

Picking up Ifrit, I've been forcing myself to use Fissure at the recommendation of several people in this thread. Once I ripped the band-aid off, I'm starting to get the hang of it, seems to be similar to Blizzard, where it does massive damage to slow walking mobs and nothing to small stationary targets. Anyway, Act I went by fairly uneventfully, no noteworthy drops I can remember. Andy was pretty easy.

Starting out in Act II, Ifrit went ahead and hired Azrael the might merc to help out with FIs later one. Act II brought several end game drops for Ifrit, starting out in the Halls of the Dead (I think from an urn/chest):
Screenshot108.jpg
35/9, perfect roll on the resists. He also found this jewel, probably will be socketed into it when I transition from MF to survival:

Scintillating Jewel of Spirit
Required Level: 26
Item Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0xb3e7929c
+7 to Life
All Resistances +15

After already finding the Skin of the Vipermagi (still using his chipped topaz helmet and flawed topaz armor...), I finally found a Gothic Plate to attempt socketing. I had been hoping to get a 4os drop, but it never happened. Luckily got 4 sockets on the first attempt, so now Ifrit has a 4Ptopaz armor. He found a Lum rune in the Maggot Lair, and very quickly after a Ko rune and Io rune.

I did have a close call in a false tomb, two unique Unravellers right next to each other kept up a steady stream of resurrected skeletons. Being impatient, I tried dancing around in the same room trying to drop Volcanos on them and slowly whittle them down. Ifrit quickly got surrounded, guzzled purple pots, and managed to escape through TP. I ran back from the WP and just avoided that room. There was another similar situation in another false tomb, no NDE, but didn't bother to try and slog it out and kill them. I'll have to come up with some solution for Hell, trying to kite skeletons isn't going to be an option. Probably shop a Dim Vision wand or make a Nadir helm.

In yet another false tomb, there was a pretty dicey situation right at the stairs with several unique packs which vaporized the merc. Went back up the stairs, rehired the merc, and just about moved on since I wasn't sure I'd survive going back down. Luckily I did go back, managed to keep the merc alive much better the second time, and survived the stairs.
Screenshot111.jpg
Unfortunately, have to be clvl 66 to use it! Can't wait to give it to Azrael. No more excitement for Ifrit in Act II. Duriel was killed at /p3 without much issue, and dropped junk.

@HanShotFirst Congrats on the Guardians! You're a glutton joining with another team!

Code:
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   skoolbus           Druid/Sorc        60/60   (N) Kurast Docks           90
Y   Hanshotfirst       Necro/Barb        48/48   (N) Rogue Encampment       60

Deranged demon dramatically drops dead:
Sure, Maltatai could do better, but alas he's stopped coming ...

Screenshot632.jpg

The Bone Necro has cleared NM Act I at players 7!

I had been very much looking forward to playing the Bone Necro with an Insight on the merc, and it was pretty good ... but not quite what I had been expecting. I had been hoping that I could cast 'whatever, whenever, without thinking about the mana cost', and that just wasn't the case. With 160 mana, the Insight was good enough to replenish what was expended on normal monsters, but when champions or uniques were on the screen, I could still run out of mana spamming Bone Spear (n) . Don't get me wrong, the potion usage was way, way, down ... and because I was only using them while engaging champions or uniques I nearly always immediately got the expended potion(s) back at the end of the battle ... but the lack of total freedom from mana potions was still disappointing.

And so I got my mind set on making a Spirit sooner than later. By the time I finished rescuing Cain and clearing the Dark Wood, I hadn't come across any four socketed swords ... but I had picked up a couple white broad swords. My Concentrate Barb had found a second Amn Rune, and after much debate I decided I'd expend it on the 50/50 chance of rolling four sockets. I was either going to be happy to have a Spirit in hand, or very annoyed with myself for torching one of my top three runes (remember 1.11b) due to being impatient. And the RNG decided:

FOUR SOCKETS!
And more ...

Screenshot617.jpg

Spirit
Broad Sword
'TalThulOrtAmn'
One-Hand Damage: 7 to 14
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Strength: 48
Required Level: 25
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x6a93ca6f
+22 to Vitality
+100 to Mana
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Adds 1-50 lightning damage
Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
7% Life stolen per hit
55% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to All Skill Levels
+5 Magic Absorb

A 35% FCR roll! I guess there was a third option ... Forget 'happy', put me down as totally satisfied with my decision! Two Amn Runes expended to get a 35% FCR Spirit, I'll take that deal any day!

With the Spirit in hand, I was then pretty darn close to casting 'whatever, whenever, without thinking about the mana cost'. I could still empty the mana bulb by spamming Corpse Explosion, but that didn't happen very often. I think a Serpent's Large Charm would get me to unlimited spamming of any skill ... but there's no rush to find one. I'm now quite happy with where things sit (y) .

In terms of game play, it was much more of the same. Bone Spear is used for most situations. Corpse Explosion gets some use ... but without any curses to buff it ... it's rather underwhelming. A new development is that after maxing Bone Spear, I started putting points into Bone Prison ... and it's finally gotten strong enough to be of use:

Screenshot611.jpg

It nicely put a stop to Blood Raven's game of running around the Burial Grounds raising the dead.

Screenshot631.jpg

And it turned out to be most handy against Andariel too. Two casts of Bone Prison trapped the demon in place, but were still thin enough that the merc could reach Andariel ... but Andariel couldn't reach the merc :devilish: . Yes, don't fight fair. Fight like a Bone Necro!

Andariel dropped a good number of set/uniques, but like all the set/uniques found in NM Act I, I doubt they'll see any use.

Here's the complete list of set/uniques that resulted from a players 7 full clear of NM Act I:
With 230 mf (+90 mf if the merc kills).

Skewer of Krintiz, Sabre (Cave Level 1)
Shadowfang, Two-Handed Sword (Crypt)
The Chieftain, Battle Axe (Mausoleum)
Cathan's Mesh, Chain Mail (Underground Passage Level 1)
The Diggler, Dirk (Tristram)
Bloodrise, Morning Star (Tristram)
Lance of Yaggai, Spetum (Black Marsh)
Vidala's Barb, Long Battle Bow (Black Marsh)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Black Marsh)
Angelic Halo, Ring (Tower Cellar Level 4)
Isenhart's Parry, Gothic Shield (Tamoe Highland)
Berserker's Hatchet, Double Axe (Jail Level 3)
Civerb's Cudgel, Grand Scepter (Catacombs Level 1)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Catacombs Level 2)
Hwanin's Justice, Bill (Catacombs Level 3)
Hotspur, Boots (Andariel) <-- Best S/U ... but probably to niche to find use.
Vidala's Fetlock, Light Plated Boots (Andariel)
Doomslinger, Repeating Crossbow (Andariel)

A good quantity ... but sadly lacking in quality.

So, beyond the Spirit sword, my only gear update was:

Screenshot624.jpg

Skull Hood
Circlet
Defense: 25
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 35
Item Level: 48
Fingerprint: 0xdb18eb06
+28% Enhanced Damage
+88 to Attack Rating
5% Life stolen per hit
19% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 2 Dim Vision (25/25 Charges)

I've been gambling circlets since Act III and finally got a good one for the merc. I would really like to get one with some resistances ... but for now, the 5% life leech (best I've gotten so far) is very attractive! The mf and ED is nice too ;) .

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Necro/Barb        52/48   (N) Lut Gholein            66

Up next: The Bone Necro takes on NM Act II. This is where I often list items that I'm hoping to find ... but I don't want to be a bother to the RNG right now. So to make things easy, I'll just place the same order as what @skoolbus got. You know, the 35 Vipermagi, perfect scintillating jewel, and the Tal's mask. Yep, I'll take the same please, because, you know, I wouldn't want to be a bother :sneaky: ...

Well now this one hurts:

Screenshot638.jpg

Cause of death: Too aggressive game play.

I hadn't run into any trouble with the Bone Necro and was feeling mighty confident. I teleported through the bars here in the NM Palace Cellar Level 1 and discovered the chamber was much more hot than I thought it was (there were a bunch of Invaders too). The merc immediately chased something to the top left part of the screen leaving me with all the fire skelly mages. I could have just blasted them while face tanking but instead decided it would be better to regroup with a teleport to get the merc back where I needed him ... and the skelly mages blasted me at just the right moment. With the teleport staff out I was down 57 to all resistances, bringing my fire resist to about zero ... and my 600 something life disappeared in an instant (there were more mages on screen at the time ... ) To say that I was surprised that they managed to do that much damage all at once would be an understatement ...

So yeah ... that really didn't need to happen. On the one hand, I suppose I may have been pushing the pace a bit ... but on the other, I could probably do that same maneuver a dozen times over and not get burned. Oh well, I suppose that's why I like this game: Anything can go wrong, anywhere, at any time. If there's no jeopardy, where's the triumph and the fun!

Up next: To my thinking it's too late to start another character. The Bone Necro and the Concentrate Barb have been sharing items and I don't want to introduce a third character into the loot pool. So, looks like the Concentrate Barb will be continuing solo 😟 . The good news is that the second skill tree unlock went to the Concentrate Barb. The bad news is that his normal socket quest reward item, the Partizan Insight, went down with the Bone Necro ... Looks like Leharas is no longer going to be 'Leharas the Reaver' ... too bad because I'm not sure taking on NM with The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail is much of a plan without a good weapon on the merc. So, here we go ... the two skill tree Concentrate Barb takes on NM minus his best item ... watch the obituaries ...

Side note: This tournament is really starting to mess with my confidence! I guess I'll just have to remember that both the characters I've lost only had one skill tree active at the time and that I would never normally design a one skill tree Concentrate Barb or Bone Necro 😝 . Still, it leaves me feeling ... unsettled ...

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Necro*/Barb       56/48   (N) Palace Cellar Level 1  68

What do you think: Does an asterisk work for denoting a dead character? I couldn't think of anything better that wouldn't be a bother when interacting with Notepad ...

Sorry about the deeds @HanShotFirst and I can definitely relate to challenge of trying to move too quick, especially for me when I'm trying to wrap up a session. For this tourney I just decided to leave the game running rather than rushing to hit a WP when I was ready to wind down.

As for me:
Screenshot011.jpg
Screenshot007.jpg
Necro was smooth sailing and easy peasy, but the Druid? Oof, he had countless NDEs. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Deimos led things off, with direct questing and nothing of interest or note until the Ancients, which took one reroll to avoid amp:
Screenshot006.jpg
Screenshot007.jpgScreenshot008.jpg
Yep, he pretty much just stayed where he is in the pics for the whole battle, casting decrep to keep the old guys tame :) Then really easy progress through WSK (gloams on WSK 2 weren't a problem with maxed resists and just hanging back and dodging), and then Baal . . . took a while. I had forgotten to mule in the Guillames for the merc, so no crushing blow:
Screenshot009.jpgScreenshot010.jpg
Time lapse between the pics was 9 minutes! But no trouble, and the Flamebellow was eth, which was cool. Took out Nihl and then the Cow King, and we had all quests completed for the Guardian.

Then it was time for Typhon, who went with the Barb merc and Um'ed Twitchthroe for faster decrep proc, and Larzuk'ed a plain white Monarch that Deimos had found for Spirit.
H A5 (Um'ed Twitch).jpgH A5 (4os Monarch).jpg
After a respec, I thought he would be solid with massive FHR, decent + skills. Nope. The Barb merc could not stay alive, and he seemed to have AR issues so didn't proc decrep much at all (before he died). Typhon mostly ran through the Foothills due to physical damage projectiles from quill rats. We then leveled at Eldritch to 82 to replenish purples and gold for merc resurrections, and then slogged through the surface areas to Crystalline Passage, with witches and red balls of death taking out the merc repeatedly on Anya rescue.

I was starting to worry about the Ancients at this point, as any high-life, heavy hitter took out the merc quickly. I was also worried about Moon Lords and PI witches. Yep, yep and yep.

Ancients was the hardest fight I've had with those guys in a while (maybe ever). It took at least 10 attempts, with quite a few rerolls on top of that when amp immediately triggered. I bailed with only one left twice due to merc dropping and then running out of potions, and not wanting to risk deeds with the last one slivered like Kratos, my Pally in the Three Way Dance tourney. Eventually, I had only Korlic and he was amp'ed, but I risked it and finally could move past the summit.
Screenshot003.jpg
Ancient Way and WSK 1 had Moon Lord types, including multiple boss packs, with WSK 1 also having the witches that cast amp. It took 30 minutes just to get to the stairs out of there. And then PI witches in WSK 2 or 3 (can't remember, but I think it was 3), after also encountering them on Nihl's level, which was tackled as a break after several failed attempts at the Ancients.

After that, the waves were easy, although Lister was extra fast and eventually pushed Typhon all the way back to the stairs, and Baal dropped:
Screenshot005.jpg
Screenshot006.jpg
As you can see, I ran out of purples during the Baal fight (he targeted the merc and I didn't want to go toe-to-toe without decrep active). That was also the last set of purples from the GoMule stash, so this is the first tourney in which I've used all the purples that I'd stockpiled, showing just how challenging that last act was for Typhon. I think the A5 Merc was a mistake, and HF A2 with higher damage (and better leech) would have worked better. The lack of Grizzly (recastable tank) was felt. But getting a single-tree Guardian was cool, I guess!

I'll post Guardian write ups later this week, and link to them here. But quick gear summary for both of the characters is below.

Deimos
- Head: Shako
- Weapon/Shield: Blade of Ali Baba/2 pDiamond Moser
- Switch: Teleport staff
- Body: Smoke Breast Plate
- Gloves: Rare with MF and Poison Resist
- Belt: Verdungo's
- Boots: of Luck (34)
- Amulet: Summoner's of Fortune
- Rings: 2 x of Luck
- Merc (A2 Might): Insight Cryptic Axe, Rare Circlet with leech and resists, Duriel's

Typhon
- Head: Shako (shared between characters)
- Weapon/Shield: Spirit / Spirit
- Switch: Teleport staff
- Body: Duriels (borrowed from Deimos's merc)
- Gloves: LoH
- Belt: Rare with FHR and resists
- Boots: Rare with FRW and Fire resists
- Amulet: 9 FCR Caster Ammy with resists
- Rings: Ravenfrost, FCR rare with resists and MF
- Merc (A5): Lawbringer Balrog Blade, Up'ed Twitchthroe (Um), Guillames (damage % jewel)

Thanks for reading, and thanks to @Pb_pal for hosting! This was a fun and different playthrough.

Code:
N   PhineasB           Necro/Druid       83/83   Guardian x2                200

Last edited:
This tournament fascinates me about as much as it scares me...

So, I'm going to take a good look at the skill trees and see what characters I'd like to try this with. Just going to see it as a first HC and untwinked experiment.

The first update probably will be the last when I start playing, but so be it... I need to practice some way

Up next: The Bone Necro takes on NM Act II. This is where I often list items that I'm hoping to find ... but I don't want to be a bother to the RNG right now. So to make things easy, I'll just place the same order as what @skoolbus got. You know, the 35 Vipermagi, perfect scintillating jewel, and the Tal's mask. Yep, I'll take the same please, because, you know, I wouldn't want to be a bother :sneaky: ...
It's a shame this order wasn't filled quick enough, surely would have prevented that deeds. Sorry to hear about that.

@PhineasB Congrats on the guardians! I'm in awe over the gear Deimos and Typhon have, very impressive!

@Arjan, good luck! If you're interested, here's a great guide to help out with the untwinked aspect of a tournament. I've never had to patience to follow it to the letter, but it's full of information for loading up on MF to find great items.

Quickish update for me, eagerly resumed playing Shiva. It's a joy to spam FO and steamroll all the mobs, so I pretty much always play her first and Ifrit waits to play catch up. Act III was a breeze, legions of flayers to be mowed down by FO. It also brought several interesting drops, eth Ginther's Rift, eth Tiamat's Rebuke, and fire skiller (in the Flayer Jungle no less). Meph was handled by Shiva at /p8, got tired of rehiring the merc, so I just dodged as many cold orbs as I could. At this point I'm fairly underwhelmed by Hydra. I have it maxed, but just 1 point in synergies and Fire Mastery. So far, I've only been using it for CI uniques, but I haven't been impressed at all with it. I realize I haven't really given it a fair shot, and I have completely ignored the fact I can cast it far away from danger, but I'm considering switching to Fireball, Fire Wall, or Enchant maybe. Enchant would be quite a major shift, but I think I may have found enough gear to pull it off.

Before switching directions, I figure I will inquire to those more experienced, anyone that has played an untwinked character that used Hydra, was it worth it/viable? Or was it painful and it was more for the sake of using Hydra? I should have enough points to put into synergies, though I probably can't max all of them.

Act IV brought Shiva's first end game item, though some assembly will be required.

Screenshot117.jpg
Now to decide between Crescent Moon and Duress. Both would be useful on the merc, or if I respec'ed and went the Enchant route.

Hephaesto provided part 1 of the set:

Screenshot118.jpg
I gave it to Chalan, but never could notice the ctc Static Field being impactful, so I swapped back to his crafted blood body.

Diablo was taken down at /p8, and provided part 2 of the set:
Screenshot119.jpg

Which Chalan is still using, since it's better than his savage partizan. Next it'll be time to fire up Ifrit.

Seeing so many great updates gave me the inspiration to continue progress on Celeste and Cecilia, twin assassins similar only in appearance!

Celeste began the journey, utilizing her years of training in the martial arts to vanquish the denizens of sanctuary. When you rain down fiery chaos, individual kills mean nothing. Among the bodies, a gleam caught her eye:

Bitter Thirst
Wrist Blade
One Hand Damage: 9 - 19
Durability: 0 of 79
Required Level: 5
Required Strength: 23
Required Dexterity: 23
Fingerprint: 0x38bed230
Item Level: 11
Version: Expansion 1.10+
26% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1 - 3 Damage
+15 to Attack Rating
5% Life stolen per hit
Ethereal

(I don't think this is a failed S/U right? Base durability on a wrist blade is 52)

Just the tool she needed to finish the job!

An few interesting things along the way:

Screenshot067.jpg
Imp Aegis
Small Shield
Defense: 15
Chance to Block: 25
Durability: 6 of 16
Required Level: 8
Required Strength: 22
Fingerprint: 0x82e8a60f
Item Level: 13
+30% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
+39% Enhanced Defense
+4 to Mana
Cold Resist +9%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1

We then shift our focus to Cecilia, the trapper. Charged bolt sentry is a bit underwhelming tbh, but it did well enough. I ended up putting one point in wake of fire just for the andariel fight, and what do you know, she coughed it up!Screenshot068.jpg
Nagelring
Ring
Required Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0x91b02c9e
Item Level: 12
+73 to Attack Rating
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Attacker Takes Damage of 3
28% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Cecilia and Celeste, twin assassins, level 20, the denizens of the desert won't know what hit them

It's a shame this order wasn't filled quick enough, surely would have prevented that deeds. Sorry to hear about that.

Nah. The gear was fine. The decision making was just a bit off :p . And the order wasn't cancelled ... it's just been shifted to the Barb!

And speaking of the Barb, I think I'd give all his future NM drops for an eth Ginther's. That's one of my absolute most favorite items! Just curious, what was the roll?

Nah. The gear was fine. The decision making was just a bit off :p . And the order wasn't cancelled ... it's just been shifted to the Barb!

And speaking of the Barb, I think I'd give all his future NM drops for an eth Ginther's. That's one of my absolute most favorite items! Just curious, what was the roll?
Here's the readout

Ginther's Rift
Dimensional Blade
One-Hand Damage: 44 to 121
Durability: 51 of 51
Required Dexterity: 50
Required Strength: 75
Required Level: 37
Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0x7f1bcc
+133% Enhanced Damage
Magic Damage Reduced by 12
Adds 50-120 magic damage
+40 Maximum Durability
30% Increased Attack Speed
Repairs 1 durability in 5 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Took me a sleepless night to decide what classes I want to play in this tournament...
After scanning the tree skills of all classes and not sleeping on the question "do I want a Assassin or a necromancer tied to my WindDruid?" I decided to go Druid/Necro (not sure if I go summoner or bonemage yet).

So'll start with the Druid. Now to find some catchy names based on some sort of game/literature/whatever character (Farty Mcfartface might be an option).

Code:

N   Arjan              Druid/Necro       1/1     Rogue Camp                 0

edit: going Hardcore for first time and untwinked, no single pass... I like me treasurehunting too much

Reactions: PhineasB
@HanShotFirst - Ouch, sorry about the deeds. That's a tough loss, especially a decent way into the tournament like that. Best of luck with the barb!

@PhineasB - Woo! Congrats on the double-Guardian! Looks like you ended up with some pretty decent gear, well done.

@Arjan - Sweet, welcome to the fray! Druid/Necro is a fun combination, good luck! Also, I fixed the table for you back to single-spaced. Should be able to just snag it from the latest replies now and update your info more easily.

Great job to everyone else on the progress as well!

--

Code:

Reactions: PhineasB
Just read through all the updates I missed and it makes me want to get back to my guys so bad.
Been very busy with other things, haven't had time to play Diablo. Going to try and get some time in soon though.

@Crudesash Glad to hear you are ok from the car crash.

@PhineasB Congrats on the Guardians. Updates were great. I'll be taking your advice and keeping the Act 2 merc for my druid through hell.

@HanShotFirst Sucks about the deeds was loving the progress. Keep updating the Barb would love to hear how it goes.

Just read through all the updates I missed and it makes me want to get back to my guys so bad.
Been very busy with other things, haven't had time to play Diablo. Going to try and get some time in soon though.

@Crudesash Glad to hear you are ok from the car crash.

@PhineasB Congrats on the Guardians. Updates were great. I'll be taking your advice and keeping the Act 2 merc for my druid through hell.

@HanShotFirst Sucks about the deeds was loving the progress. Keep updating the Barb would love to hear how it goes.
Thanks @Booble ; now it's just clearing up the red tape, really.

Haven't played much D2 lately, playing the D2R beta as much as possible the last few days, but not enough really. Probably won't go whole hog until D2R goes live and I can start making progress with my saves there.

Good luck everyone in the tournament, hopefully I'll have some tales to tell soon enough.

@HanShotFirst - Ouch, sorry about the deeds. That's a tough loss, especially a decent way into the tournament like that. Best of luck with the barb!

@PhineasB - Woo! Congrats on the double-Guardian! Looks like you ended up with some pretty decent gear, well done.

@Arjan - Sweet, welcome to the fray! Druid/Necro is a fun combination, good luck! Also, I fixed the table for you back to single-spaced. Should be able to just snag it from the latest replies now and update your info more easily.

Great job to everyone else on the progress as well!

--

Code:
Thanks @Pb_pal I didn't even see the double space until you said something about it :)

Well... my first steps in HC are... small. I mean how do you people play HC and not have issues with anxiety all the time? It'll probably wear off sometime before Andy (I hope) but every pack that rushes my way gets my heartbeat up a bit.

Also gonna need to do a respec because my winddruid is a bit fire heavy at this point... but didn't really think it wise to not have a decend attack skill until level 18...And seeing Andy doesn't like fire that much I put some points in the boulder for now. I don't think I need to respec before I reach nightmare so I can experiment a bit with the entire tree

And the journey continues ...

Screenshot662.jpg

The Concentrate Barb has done a full clear of NM Act I at players 7.

The loss of his partner, the Bone Necro, was most unfortunate. I'd envisioned the Bone Necro leading the way and finding neat items for the Concentrate Barb to use ... Instead, the Bone Necro not only failed to find any neat items, but he went and died with my Concentrate Barb's best item, a Partizan Insight :rolleyes: . So, with no neat items found for the Barb to use, and the best weapon for the merc to use being lost, NM Act I started with some recalculating. Our assets, Sigon's gloves, belt, boot, and an Angelic ring and amulet. Our liabilities, we lost the Insight Partizan, the merc's 5% life leech circlet, and the three PTopaz Great Helm of the Sun. The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail could go either way. It's damage is blatantly no good in NM, but the Slows Target 50% does give it some enduring utility.

So, for replacement gear, here's what I came up with: 3% life leech, +17 to All Resistances circlet for the merc. And for a merc weapon, Hwanin's Justice Bill. I had been considering using this on the Barb ... but I decided that the merc needed it more. It's a pretty solid merc weapon ... but alas, that Partizan Insight sure was better. For the Barb, I was going to revert to an old +34 mf circlet, but then I gambled this:

Screenshot639.jpg

Prismatic Circlet of Luck
Defense: 30
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 31
Item Level: 51
Fingerprint: 0xb41e9011
All Resistances +20
33% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Neat-o. That topped all resistances off at 75 except for poison, which was lagging not too far behind at ~50.

Next, I got to spend my saved skill points on my newly unlocked second tree. I stuck with my plan to unlock Warcries. Combat Masteries of course has lots of good stuff for this character ... but Warcries has stuff that will benefit both the Barb and merc. And since there can be only one, the choice was clear. I immediately maxed Battle Orders and put four points into Find Item for a 29% chance of success. From there, I couldn't decide where to go next. Find Item starts experiencing diminishing returns quickly. Howl is very handy, but seemed to be working pretty well as a one point wonder. Back in the Combat Skills tree, Berserk would give bonuses to Concentrate ... but the Barb isn't really doing much damage right now ... so I decided I'd just sit on the remaining skill points ... for now ...

Out of the gates, play was pretty much as you'd expect. Barb tags monsters with The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail and the merc kills with Hwanin's Justice Bill. Maybe add a Howl or two if things got tough. Find Item got used on every corpse ... and there's where this setup hit a bit of a snag. Hwanin's Justice Bill has a 10% Chance to cast Level 3 Ice Blast on striking. Normally this is pretty handy, but with a Barb that is hungry to find better items, the resultant loss of corpses was regrettable. Still, I was happy to have Hwanin's Justice. I'd like to create a replacement Insight, but I'm playing 1.11b, and Sol Runes are few and far between. With both characters doing full clears I've still only found the one ... so, having a backup, fast, cruel, exceptional polearm was quite nice ... even if it destroyed ~10% of the corpses.

Progress was slow but steady. And, with the death of the Bone Necro, I suppose I'm no longer in any hurry :p . So we steadily whacked and hacked our way through NM Act I with nothing too interesting happening until this find in the Jail Level 2:

Screenshot656.jpg

The Spirit Shroud
Ghost Armor
Defense: 295
Durability: 16 of 20
Required Strength: 38
Required Level: 28
Item Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0x7c36462
+150% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 8
Replenish Life +10
+1 to All Skill Levels
Cannot Be Frozen

Pay dirt! Sure it's very common, but in this case much needed! Cannot Be Frozen on the merc was huge. Cold Enchanted monsters would slow the merc to a crawl and had the potential to create all sorts of issues. But with CBF, we kept cruising. Almost immediately after finding it, I got a chance to test the difference of with and without CBF at Pitspawn Fouldog. The difference was nothing short of night and day!

Andariel was the next event. The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail had totally incapacitated Baal. It did not do the same to Andariel. Not to worry, I came prepared. I added another Slows Target by 25% via Cleglaw's gloves ... that didn't do anything good. Andariel was still landing heavy blows and shooting poison clouds. Okay, time for some Crushing Blow. Out came Crushflange and that did the trick. Slow with The General's, then switch to Crushflange, and with that, we marched right through her hit points. Side note, I even bothered to bring Venom Ward along for the merc ... if it helped, I sure couldn't see it. Anyhow, we safely toppled the demon, and were rewarded with some pretty good loot!

Here's the complete list of set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of NM Act I at players 7:
With 163 mf (+39 mf when the merc killed ... until I equipped The Spirit Shroud ... then no more mf on the merc ... but so worth it!)

Doomslinger, Repeating Crossbow (Cave Level 1)
The Battlebranch, Poleaxe (Mausoleum)
Lance of Yaggai, Spetum (Mausoleum)
Umbral Disk, Small Shield (Mausoleum)
Sander's Riprap, Heavy Boots (Stony Field)
Vidala's Fetlock, Light Plated Boots (Underground Passage Level 1)
Sigon's Gage, Gauntlets (Dark Wood)
Vidala's Barb, Long Battle Bow (Hole Level 1)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Tamoe Highland)
Tancred's Skull, Bone Helm (Tamoe Highland)
Rusthandle, Grand Scepter (Pit Level 1)
Wizendraw, Long Battle Bow (Barracks)
Sander's Superstition, Bone Wand (Jail Level 1)
The Spirit Shroud, Ghost Armor (Jail Level 2)
Sigon's Sabot, Greaves (Jail Level 3)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Catacombs Level 2)
The Face of Horror, Mask (Andariel)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Andariel)
Berserker's Hatchet, Double Axe (Andariel)
Bonesnap, Maul (Andariel)
Manald Heal, Ring (Andariel)

Wow. That seems like a lot. A few were found with Find Item, but mostly not. Past The Spirit Shroud, there wasn't anything too interesting before Andariel, at least not anything that I didn't already have. The Bonesnap rolled 219% ED ... so, not too great. I'm thinking about giving it a go ... though the loss of resistances seems dangerous ... just ask the Bone Necro ... oh wait, you can't 😞 . The Manald Heal rolled 7% mana leech! Which is great! When I find a better weapon for the Barb, I have a +20 mf magic ring that'll get replaced by this Manald ... you know, assuming it doesn't come with mana leech.

Otherwise there wasn't too much to talk about concerning drops. I did find a new highest, and second highest rune:

Screenshot660.jpg

Screenshot661.jpg

Oddly, both the Tal Rune and the Shael Rune were found via Find Item ... one right after the other. Now, if only they'd been Sol Runes ...

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Necro*/Barb       56/52   (N) Palace Cellar Level 1  74

Up next: We've got to go take out those little punks in the Palace Cellar Level 1. Also, I'd like to find a Sol Rune. Insight on the merc and Hwanin's Justice on the Barb seems like it could work. It might also be nice to be able to upgrade a normal unique weapon ... Though, if an exceptional one hander was to come along, that'd be nice too ... In other words, I'm feeling easy right now. Surprise me!

Last edited:
So... my first little update. Despite my believes I am not dead... Ok, I'm still in Act I on normal but still, small victories are the way to start. Playing HC is yet another feeling altogether.

So far I have found a few rares I can work with and two rings with fcr for myself. I found a Biggins Bonnet for my merc and a Arctic Binding belt for the vendor. For future use I have finally downloaded ATMA so I can mule for my two heroes. And lets hope I can get used to this and remember to do it every time I take a brake from the game :)

Next up: A real test to see if I can finish this act on HC and hopefully some decent drops.

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Necro*/Barb       56/52   (N) Palace Cellar Level 1  74
N   Arjan              Druid/Necro       20/1    (N) Lut Gholein            6

Edit: bye bye Andy... Act 1 Normal is done. Starting with the Necro next (Belt is Hsarus)

Attachments

• Andy_Guthrie.png
    Andy_Guthrie.png
    686.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@HanShotFirst Nice finds with the Spirit Shroud and Bonesnap!

Another mini update for me. Ifrit picked up at the start of Act III burning through flayers with Fissure. Progress was decent, though I have started noticing the power of Fissure dropping of a little bit, a little concerning since every skill point has gone towards pumping the fire tree skills. Once he hits Hell, he will respec to add some summons, which isn't going to help.

Notable items from Act III included a Crainte Vomir (Spider Forest), Soulfeast Tine (Flayer Jungle) and Rattlecage (Meph). The Soulfeast Tine is the current merc weapon, nothing fancy, but passable.

Accidently spawned Meph on /p8, so that was a lengthy battle of dodging ice orbs. I stopped bothering to resurrect the merc after about the fifth death. Rattlecage is a decent drop, may see some use later.

Screenshot125.jpg

Then came the dreaded Act IV where just about everything not FI has very high fire resist. I dropped it down to /p1 for the majority of the act, some areas were done at /p3, and a couple of small areas with no FIs at /p8. Act IV started out just as I expected...
Screenshot126.jpg
There's a unique pack of FI Doom knights hiding there too.... Eventually Azrael (added by Volcanos) managed to get Ifrit out of the Pandemonium Fortress. Found a 4os Lance a bit later and decided that was a suitable base to go ahead and make an Insight. Here's the result:
Screenshot127.jpg
As you can see, completely useless, since I didn't pay close enough attention to Insight in that it has to be in a polearm and not spear.... Back to the Soulfeast Tine!

Screenshot128.jpg
A gift from the gods! A phenomenal find just before a fight with Diablo. Honing in on Diablo, and Ifrit (and Azrael) were both clvl 65 (you can see how close in the above image), one level shy of being able to equip Tal's Mask. Knowing that was Azrael's only chance of possibly surviving for any meaningful time against Diablo, I started upping the players setting. In the Chaos Sanctuary, I noticed there were far fewer mobs than I would have expected. Not sure if that was the case, or just in my head as I desperately needed xp and wanted more mobs. Azrael did finally hit clvl 66 right before popping the last two seals, just in the nick of time!

For all my anticipation, Tal's Mask was completely useless in the fight against Diablo. One fire wave still vaporized Azrael :cry:. So, after lots of kiting, dodging lightning hoses, and fissures, Diablo was killed at /p3 and the much dreaded Act IV was over... Until Hell... I think Ifrit probably missed out on about 1.5 levels from the lowered players setting and not full clearing anywhere with FI's, which is unfortunate, but probably saved me about 10 hours of playing time, so still a good tradeoff.

I'll probably just finish out NM with Ifrit first. I need to finish assembling the remainder of end game gear for both Ifrit and Shiva. Not sure if I want to try and finish out the game with both of them using Razorswitch's or give them more serious weapon/shields and get some blocking. I keep hoping for a pair of Whitstan's Guard will drop, but that hasn't happened yet. *cough cough*

@skoolbus - Ooh. Eth Ginther's is the dream, but I'd sure settle for a Crainte Vomir dropping in the Spider Forest! Also, thanks for having the courage to share that Lance. It put a big smile on my face 😛 . I figured you must be playing Vanilla since you hadn't made a Spirit or Insight ... but I suppose when you're lucky enough to find a Razorswitch on both characters, there's not much need. Great progress, keep up the good work! (y)

As for me, I got those little punks in the Palace Cellar Level 1, and that big bug that put them up to it!

Screenshot695.jpg

Yes, NM Act II has been cleared at players 7 by my ... Concentrate Barb? ... er, um ... merc's helper Barb? ...

At the start of NM Act II, I was considering using the 219% ED Bonesnap that NM Andariel had dropped ... I decided against it. The point of equipping a more damaging weapon is to make things faster. But getting dead due to loss of resistances would be a real drag ... so I decided to play things safe and stick with The General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail and a three Pdiamond Kite Shield. The General's is next to useless for damage, but the Slows Target by 50% is still useful for crowd control while the merc does the killing. The merc was using Hwanin's Justice Bill, as my Partizan Insight went down with my Bone Necro. I'd been hoping to replace Hwanin's Justice with an Insight but a second Sol Rune had been refusing to drop ... Anyways, I didn't have a four socketed Partizan, but I did have a four socketed Battle Scythe ... until:

Screenshot663.jpg

Cool! A replacement Partizan dropped right off the bat in the Sewers! Now all I need is a Sol Rune ... But one continued to refuse to drop ...

And so we continued on with the Hwanin's Justice Bill. And on. And on. Mostly it wasn't too bad. Leharas had met with Greiz and switched disciplines from Prayer to Might ... so we were rolling with a bit more damage. Still, Act II has lots of monsters that resurrect other monsters ... or spawn more monsters ...

Screenshot671.jpg

There wasn't much to be done about situations like the one above ... except keep whacking! But on the monsters resurrecting other monsters front, there was an answer! Unravellers were more or less neutralized with Find Item (which I was already using everywhere anyways)! Sometimes Unravellers would beat me to a corpse, but mostly I was able to get there first and keep progress going!

After much hacking and whacking we reached the Palace Cellar Level 1. After clearing the place out we took a moment to remember the Bone Necro:

Screenshot675.jpg

We laid Mordred's most used wand at the place where he fell, and after a moment of silence, there was nothing left to do but move on ...

In the Arcane Sanctuary we finally caught a break:

Screenshot677.jpg

Not a Sol Rune, but the Barb's third Amn Rune since he hit NM. That'll work! After finishing the wing, I gathered up the ingredients for the long awaited replacement Partizan Insight:

Screenshot679.jpg

Insight
Partizan
'RalTirTalSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 111 to 226
Durability: 45 of 65
Required Dexterity: 67
Required Strength: 113
Required Level: 27
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 43
Fingerprint: 0xf91e60d7
+5 to Strength
+5 to Energy
+5 to Dexterity
+5 to Vitality
+202% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Critical Strike
35% Faster Cast Rate
231% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 17 Meditation Aura When Equipped

Wah-wah-wah.

I suppose my string of very above average rolls had to come to an end sometime. The Partizan Insight that was lost had a 253% ED, +6 to Critical Strike roll. I sure miss that weapon. Oh well. Any Partizan Insight is a good weapon. So on we go ...

With the Partizan Insight replacing Hwanin's Justice, progress got much, much quicker! Also, Hwanin's Justice consumes a good number corpses (the ctc Ice Blast mod), Insight does not. So for three quarters of the Arcane Sanctuary on, I got to use Item Find on very single corpse! I didn't result in any great finds ... so far ...

The Tombs seemed like they could be an issue for a character that is totally dependent on the merc for damage ... but it wasn't that bad. Find Item shut down the Unravellers, and the new Partizan Insight kept things going at a pretty lively rate. Things got a bit hot at times, but Howl kept the situations from getting too out of hand. After much hacking and whacking, only Duriel was left. I kept it at players 7 for the super-awesome loot that was sure to result from the greater effort ... you saw above how that went. At least the fight wasn't too bad. Same plan as Andariel: Life Tap, slow with The General's, then switch to Crushflange, while the merc keeps working ... simple, easy to remember, and works in time.

Duriel denied me any set/uniques, but I did get a good number before.

Here's the complete list of set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of NM Act II at players 7:
I ended with 196 mf (+23 mf if the merc kills ... which was pretty much always).

Nightsmoke, Belt (Halls of the Dead Level 1) <-- Bone Necro would have liked this. :(
Sigon's Guard, Tower Shield (Halls of the Dead Level 2)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Halls of the Dead Level 3)
Dimoak's Hew, Bardiche (Far Oasis)
Endlesshail, Double Bow (Maggot Lair Level 2)
The Patriarch, Great Sword (Maggot Lair Level 2)
Isenhart's Horns, Full Helm (Lost City)
Blacktongue, Bastard Sword (Lost City)
Brainhew, Great Axe (Harem Level 2)
Arctic Horn, Short War Bow (Palace Cellar Level 3)
Cathan's Sigil, Amulet (Arcane Sanctuary)
Nokozan Relic, Amulet (Arcane Sanctuary)
Stormstrike, Short Battle Bow (Arcane Sanctuary)
Iratha's Collar, Amulet (Arcane Sanctuary)
Nagelring, Ring (Tal Rasha's False Tomb) <-- Using it.
Arcanna's Deathwand, War Staff (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Wizendraw, Long Battle Bow (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Infernal Sign, Heavy Belt (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Goldwrap, Heavy Belt (Tal Rasha's False Tomb) <-- Cool. But three part Sigon's is just too good.
Isenhart's Horns, Full Helm (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Cathan's Visage, Mask (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Tal Rasha's True Tomb)
Isenhart's Case, Breast Plate (Tal Rasha's True Tomb)

That's sure seems like a lot! Too bad there's not much there to get excited about. The Nagelring is an awful roll, but I'm still using it:

Nagelring
Ring
Required Level: 7
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xccd51c42
+52 to Attack Rating
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Attacker Takes Damage of 3
17% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

It replaced my 20 mf magic ring, as all the other mods are helpful.

Also, at the very end of the last False Tomb, I did finally get my Sol Rune to drop:

Screenshot692.jpg

I was tempted to upgrade my General's Tan Do Li Ga Flail, or reroll the merc's Insight (I found a Hel Rune in NM Act I), but in the end decided neither of those moves had very much upside. The Partizan Insight, despite being just about the worst damage roll possible, is still plenty good enough. And while I'm getting impatient for a better one-hander for the Barb, the damage from a General's Tan Do Li Ga Knout isn't all that great. NM Act III is where I started to find good exceptional one-handers last time through ... I'm going to hope that happens again!

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Necro*/Barb       56*/60  (N) Kurast Docks           80
N   Arjan              Druid/Necro       20/1    Lut Gholein                6

Up next: Well, like I just said, I'd like to find a one-handed weapon that gets the Barb from 'merc's helper Barb', back to being a Concentrate Barb. Past that, I'm looking forward to enemies that stay dead. Sure, I can deal with summoner type monsters ... but it's so much nicer not to have to :D .

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High