The Three-Legged Race Tournament

Artemis! How thou hath kept in rapture the spirits of the hunt, who, e'en now, watch thou with eyes wide in astonished envy whilst thou doth toil in the deepest depths of Hell... a poet sometime, probably.

They should be envious; A4 was even easier for our fair warrior than it was for the battle hardened Paladin. /p5 throughout, nary an NDE (I don't recall my health going below 50% at any point), but no S/U's after finding quite a few in A3, maybe the slopes of Mount Arreat will offer better wares.

Diablo was easy, the only bummer was I switched back to my main weapon from the Gull as I was low on pots and just wanted the kill, and he dropped useless rares, but oh well:
Screenshot021.jpg

Charged Strike continues to be my most mana efficient skill, but I have a few points in LS/LF so that's adding synergy which is nice. Still don't have the pool to just pump LF yet, but once I do it will be lights out. On to A5, not sure who I'll start with yet.

Code:
SP  Forum Name         Characters        Level   Furthest WP             Points
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          85/79   (H) Kurast Docks           142
N   Booble             Sorc/Druid        32/41   (N) Lut Gholein            67
N   PhineasB           Necro/Druid       43/47   (N) Rogue Encampment       60
Y   Gynli              Zon/Necro         32/48   (N) Rogue Encampment       51*
N   Crudesash68        Zon/Paladin       32/32   Harrogath                  42
N   DariusTriplet      Sorc/Zon          31/24   River of Flame             32
Y   Pb_pal             Sorc/Zon          30/25   Pandemonium Fortress       30
N   Swamigoon          Sin/Druid         23/31   Pandemonium Fortress       30
Y   Vildecor           Zon/Sorc          21/20   Lut Gholein                12
Y   skoolbus           Druid/Sorc        28/35   Harrogoth                  12
Y   Maltatai           Druid/Druid       21/15   Lut Gholein Sewers         9
Y   b1ur               Paladin/Druid     20/1    Lut Gholein                6
N   CaseyJones         Sorc/Druid        1/1     Rogue Encampment           0

@Gynli I adjusted your point total because my OCD was too strong. Please adjust if I am wrong :)

Last edited:
@Crudesash68 thanks for the updates! Im waiting for some more progression before my next update; but life was busy. :rolleyes:
I hear that; I played for maybe 2 hours across the long weekend, just too much family stuff going in. Which I guess should come first. 🙄

Quickety-quick update: both characters have completed the first quest in A5, a few drops (Lance of Yaggai, Civerb;s Ward, Hsarus Iron Stay, Isenhart's Case, meh) but 2 Sol runes so I can make Insight for both mercs, once I find the bases of course.

Code:
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   Gynli              Zon/Necro         32/48   (N) Rogue Encampment       51
N   Crudesash68        Zon/Paladin       33/34   Frigid Highlands           44
N   Swamigoon          Sin/Druid         23/31   Pandemonium Fortress       30

Reactions: Zyr and PhineasB
Nice to see the progress from people. Makes me want to play, just wish I had the time right now.

@Crudesash I'm also looking to make a few insights once I get some good bases. The mana on charged bolt is a killer.

Reactions: Crudesash
Nice to see the progress from people. Makes me want to play, just wish I had the time right now.

@Crudesash I'm also looking to make a few insights once I get some good bases. The mana on charged bolt is a killer.
Yeah, Power Strike and Lightning Fury are real mana hogs, especially with my base energy pool. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a Bahamut's ring or Lizard's Charm to help it along. The Meditation aura helps, but until that mana pool is bigger, you're still a blue pot junkie.

Speaking of time, a question for @Pb_pal : Will we be able to complete the tournament in D2R? I started my characters on June 2, 5 weeks later, I'm just getting started in A5 normal; in a perfect world, I can start NM with both once this weekend is over, but I'll be working on the D2R beta once that starts (no idea when or for how long yet), and once D2R starts, that will be where I play D2 moving forward. I might be able to complete them before launch, especially if it is a short beta, but if it has taken me over a month just to get past Normal...

Reactions: Pb_pal
BurlapBag has advanced to act 5, mind-blasting her way through her enemies, and also stabbing them with her Gull dagger enhanced with healthy doses of Venom. Along the way she found lots of nice sets and uniques, including a Tarnhelm and a Goldwrap. I expect those should help her and her partner find even more useful treasures.
Bsam.png
(Civerb's Icon)

Buks.png
Busc.png
BSringMeph.png
(Angelic Halo)

Buhb.png
Buxb.png
Brforge.png
BuhbDiablo.png
(The Brainhew has 71%ED, and I expect would be a very good weapon for the werewolf, GunnySack.)
Code:
N   Swamigoon          Sin/Druid         34/31   Harrogath                  39

Speaking of time, a question for @Pb_pal : Will we be able to complete the tournament in D2R? I started my characters on June 2, 5 weeks later, I'm just getting started in A5 normal; in a perfect world, I can start NM with both once this weekend is over, but I'll be working on the D2R beta once that starts (no idea when or for how long yet), and once D2R starts, that will be where I play D2 moving forward. I might be able to complete them before launch, especially if it is a short beta, but if it has taken me over a month just to get past Normal...
As D2R stands right now I see now problem with this. If they decide to add some weird feature or something that ends up being non-FAM then we would have to talk about it, but the intent is to let those who get D2R to just transfer over and keep plugging in it along with those who stay in classic D2.

Reactions: Zyr and Crudesash
McRib - Elemental Druid
Starting to hit some fire immunes. Fissure is still killing everything else rather quickly, up to 1600 fire damage. Huge boost to killing is the merc's Eth insight. Jumped his damage up to over 1k. About to start Act 4 this is where it's going to get interesting with the fire damage. Bosses are not much fun with fissure. Took a while to kill Meph. I did get a Lum rune from Duriel. Thinking about making a splendor shield. Havent decided yet.

Gear
Weapon: Leaf Staff
Helm: Rare Circlet 25 Fire Resist
Armor: Stealth Hard Leather
Belt: Sigon
Ring1: 21% nagel
Ring2: 10% Fire 5% Light 10% FCR
Gloves: 9% Light Rare
Boots: Vidala

Merc
Weapon: Eth Partizan Insight
Armor: Bad Rare
Helm: Bad Rare

McDouble - Lightning Sorc

Charged bolt is surprising me. Most things die fairly quickly. The merc kills the light immune. I keep teleporting around to keep him safe. I need to do some leveling. I did pick up a moser's shield and threw 2 P diamonds in it. Makes me feel a little better with the sorc. She has had a few very close calls with some cold explosions or a random light enchanted monster. So very happy to get those resists up.

Gear
Weapon: 34% Spirit Sword
Shield: Mosers w/ 2P Diamonds
Switch: Gull dagger + Milabrega
Helm: Gemmed Skull cap 32% MF
Belt: Rare 24%FHR 19% Cold 28% Light Heavy Belt
Ring1: Rare 10% FCR +11mana
Ring2: Magic 20% Light 1MDR
Gloves: Rare 19% MF 12% Light 7% Poison 56% Goldfind Heavy Gloves
Boots: Magic 31% MF

Merc
Weapon: Insight Halberd
Armor: Boneflesh
Helm: Rare Skull Cap Frost when struck, 28% Light, 25% Fire, 1 soc (flawed Ruby)

Code:
N   Booble             Sorc/Druid        41/55   (N) Panda Fortress         96

So I powered through in Act 5 with my Amazon, and while I wish I could offer up some drama...there really wasn't any. Thanks to a decent +mana charm, my pool grew enough so that chugging pots became more manageable, but still too much for my tastes, but LS/LF just dominates everything at this level. I cleared all areas on /p5, with the exception of the Ancients dropped to /p1...I was so worried about them but they were just cake. Baal on /p5 took forever; I made a Strength poleaxe so the merc could get in some CB, but it didn't seem to work very well. But after a few trips to town for more mana pots...Screenshot022.jpg

And then...
Screenshot023.jpg

The Nightsmoke was a nice find, but it is frustrating to not have the 4th row of pots. Earlier on I used Charsi's Imbue on a Ceremonial Javelin, and while it didn't get a good skills roll, it was still pretty good:

Rune Needle
Ceremonial Javelin
Throw Damage: 33 to 96
One-Hand Damage: 33 to 62
Quantity: 78
(Amazon Only)
Required Dexterity: 109
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 26
Javelin Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0xcd99944e
+77% Enhanced Damage
+211 to Attack Rating
+2 to Minimum Damage
+1 to Maximum Damage
+1 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
Replenishes Quantity

Here's hoping more rares drop, or in a dream world, Titan's, but that's wishful thinking.

Next up will see our intrepid Paladin take on the frosty slopes, while my Amazon takes a little siesta in Harrogath. Might try the Normal Cows too just for fun.

Code:
N   Crudesash68        Zon/Paladin       46/34   WSK Level 2                52

A dead slug-person rules nothing Duriel!

Screenshot375.jpg

Yes indeed, Duriel has been defeated for the sixth and final time of the tournament!

Hell Act II was cleared at players 5! ... except the final four Tal Rasha's Tombs ... those were cleared at players 3 as I felt I'd demonstrated 'proof of concept' in first three tombs and didn't want to spend forever there ...

Overall, it went really well. Having a full act under my belt, I felt much less like I was playing drunk. I stopped mixing up my hotkeys and generally seemed to look like I knew what I was doing. With full-er mastery of the character I really didn't run into many problems. There were of course lightning immunes:

Screenshot357.jpg

But corpse explosion and my recently upgraded merc handled them well. While Shadow Master, Mindblast, and a Life Tap wand on switch made tanking pretty easy. Yeah, that's right you LI fiend, you stair trapped the wrong character!

There were a few lightning/physical immunes:

Screenshot358.jpg

Surprisingly, Fire Blast was still effective. Even at players 5! The end result, there were no survivors!

That's not to say there weren't any exciting moments. The Claw Viper Temple Level 2 was full of monsters (including near the entrance). I had entered prepared having swapped out my Life Tap wand for a Teleportation staff. After a few clicks into the null zone surrounding the altar, Fangskin and his mob was closing in fast ... but then I found the right place to click ahead in the darkness, and oh what a sight:

Screenshot365.jpg

Once there, it was a pretty simple task to stall the foes with Mindblast, and then clear the chamber with Death Sentry. But it did get the heart going for a moment!

The biggest battle of the act was in one of the false tombs that I did at players 5. There were three unique mobs close to the entance. Two Blunderbores, and an Unraveller (off screen):

Screenshot372.jpg

Between them they were extra strong, extra fast, and cursed :rolleyes: . Even with Life Tap and Mindblast their powerful stun attacks and off the chart life regeneration were way too much for the merc to handle. He died, ... many times. And the Shadow wasn't much help either. Eventually I settled on swapping out the Life Tap wand on switch for the Teleportation staff. I drew the uniques to the entrance ... which wasn't hard ... because they'd pushed me back there anyways :D ... and then teleported through the left wall to the hallway pictured above. I was then able to clear the chamber beyond and get enough maneuvering room to draw the unqiues to me one-by-one.

It was a fun puzzle to figure out, but the time involved in hacking through those players 5 monsters led me to settle on players 3 for the last four tombs. And oh, what a difference! At players 3 I smashed through the last four tombs at lightning speed. Duriel was also done at players 3 as I'd been storming the final tombs so quickly I had forgotten to stop and get my Crushing Blow armor (Rattlecage) before starting the true tomb. Oh well. The Shadow Master made for a nice diversion while the merc and the Lightning Sentries did their thing. It seemed nice and safe and was over in hurry!

Players 3 Duriel didn't drop anything interesting but some good finds had come before!

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of Hell Act II at players 5/3:
(With 82 mf, +23 if the merc kills.)

Immortal King's Detail, War Belt (Sewers Level 2)
Hellslayer, Decapitator (Maggot Lair Level 3) <-- Could have been fun had I made a melee character!
Cleglaw's Tooth, Long Sword (Lost City)
Arcanna's Deathwand, War Staff (Ancient Tunnels)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Fleshrender, Barbed Club (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Soul Harvest, Scythe (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Naj's Circlet, Circlet (Duriel)

A couple interesting set/uniques in there. But set/uniques weren't my main interest, I was after socketables. A monarch shield being my chiefest desire. My Sorceress had found one white/grey monarch shield (it had two sockets). And my Assassin also found just one white/grey monarch shield:

Screenshot363.jpg

Screenshot364.jpg

Spirit
Monarch
'TalThulOrtAmn'
Defense: 135
Chance to Block: 42%
Smite Damage: 12 to 34
Durability: 86 of 86
Required Strength: 156
Required Level: 54
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0xda528a6b
+22 to Vitality
+89 to Mana
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Lightning Resist +35%
Cold Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
55% Faster Hit Recovery
26% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to All Skill Levels
+8 Magic Absorb
Socketed (4: 4 used)

Wahoo! I had been planning to save one of my NM socket quests for either an elite polearm or a monarch shield. Then I go and spend the socket quest on the Toothrow armor but then find a four socket Thresher and now a four socket monarch shield! Better lucky than good eh? It's a bit of a shame that the FCR is so low as it would have been nice to get to the 105 FCR breakpoint on my Sorceress ... but no big deal. Frozen Orb has a timer and I'm not planning on blind teleporting so no great loss there. My Assassin of course needs FCR even less than my Sorceress. The mana roll is as low as possible but who cares! I wasn't daring to hope to find a monarch that came with four sockets, so this whole thing is just one big unexpected win!

Other finds of note:

Entropy Wing
Amulet
Required Level: 40
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x3b581c79
+12 to Attack Rating
+1 to Maximum Damage
Damage Reduced by 4
All Resistances +17
5% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Assassin Skill Levels

I've been gambling amulets since NM Act V and finally got a good one! This went straight onto my Assassin.

Serpent's Small Charm of Fortune
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 40
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0xfc6da527
+17 to Mana
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

My Sorceress is going to like this charm!

Ruby Jewel
Required Level: 58
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0x1b3d5a0c
+39% Enhanced Damage

I don't see using it, but it's a pretty nice find on a single pass character.

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          85/84   (H) Kurast Docks           148

Up next: Back to my Frozen Orb Sorceress. Strange, when I've been playing my Sorceress I don't want to go back to my Assassin. Now that I've been playing my Assassin I don't want to go back to my Sorceress. I guess my favorite character is whatever one I've been playing last!? Anyhow, now my Sorceress gets to try out all the goodies that my Assassin has found in Hell Act I & II (new merc gear, spirit monarch shield, etc). Should be fun!

McRib - Elemental Druid

Act 4 was exactly what I expected with fissure, Very Slow. I got through the whole thing but it was tedious. Nothing was really that difficult but it did take a while. The chaos sanctuary was actually the easiest part. The merc took out the fire immunes and the others fell pretty quickly to fissure. Diablo on the other hand was boring and did not want to die. Nothing crazy just took a long time. lots of fissures and running around.

Act 5 so far is going super smoothly. Everything is dyeing so quickly. I have not run into almost any fire immunes and it's been really great. I gambled a +1 druid 20%FRW circlet which was great. I also decided to choose a second tab on the druid, I picked summoning. The early summons are pretty terrible with no skills in them but the bear has been a huge surprise and help. It's great throwing a bear around a corner and having everything focus on him. A couple close calls saving Anya, The gloams down there were very annoying with my terrible resists. but the bear helped a ton taking most of the shots.

Baal waves: easy till Lister. I had to run around him and drag him out of the throne room. I was doing no damage and the merc and bear could not kill him. Other than that all the waves were pretty easy.
Baal Fight: Not as bad as I expected it to be. I was ready for a long boring fight but it was actually pretty good. Baal had a weird thing for my bear. So I just kept spawning him on the opposite side of my merc. Merc never died and I just had to go to town a few times for pots. Baal drops were not fantastic. He did drop a Rare circlet with +2 elemental Druid 30% FRW, not sure if I'm going to use that or the +1 Druid for extra bear life. We will see how it goes.

Thinking about looking for a 4soc sword for spirit and a 2soc shield for splendor. The +3 skills rather than +3 fire will help the bear out a ton and the extra mana and everything is much welcome. Especially if I switch to hurricane and tornado.

Gear
Weapon: Leaf Staff
Helm: Magic +1 Druid 20% FRW
Belt: Sigon
Ring1: 21% nagel
Ring2: 10% Fire 5% Light 10% FCR
Gloves: 9% Light Rare
Boots: Vidala

Merc
Weapon: Eth Partizan Insight
Armor: Bad Rare
Helm: Bad Rare

McDouble - Lightning Sorc

Charged bolt continues to get through all enemies. I can tell it's slowly losing steam. It may be time soon to start using lightning to kill things. Not really much to say about Act 4 and Act 5. I had some trouble in the ancients way or one of the trails with gloams. They were immune to lightning and my merc isn't great right this second. He does alright but I know I'm under leveled for this area.

The Baal waves did drop one of the best FCR rings I have every gotten. Nothing crazy but I've never found a really great FCR ring so this is up there. I've also found a few other upgrades. Got frostburns, serpents GC, and crafted a ring. Those 3 solved all the mana issues with charged bolt.

Gear
Weapon: 34% Spirit Sword
Shield: Mosers w/ 2P Diamonds
Switch: Gull dagger + Milabrega
Helm: Gemmed Skull cap 32% MF
Belt: Rare 24%FHR 19% Cold 28% Light Heavy Belt
Ring1: Rare 10% FCR +10 Energy 15% Cold 25% Fire 7% Poison MDR2
Ring2: Crafted +7 Energy +12 Mana +4% Reg Mana
Gloves: Frostburn
Boots: Magic 31% MF

Merc
Weapon: Insight Halberd
Armor: Boneflesh
Helm: Crafted Helm 3% Life Steal 8% Deadly Strike +16 Life 16% poison -25% Poison Length

Corruption Turn Ring.png

Code:
N   Booble             Sorc/Druid        54/65   (H) Rouge Encampment       124

Great progress everyone! Some seriously awesome screenies there too Han, wow! Kudos on managing those urdars on /p5, yikes.

--

RL is insane at the moment, but I've still managed some progress to keep myself from falling too far down the leaderboard.

Pao - Firewall Sorc

I decided to keep the momentum going and have Pao set out into the underworld. With Fire Mastery now the going is even faster and smoother, man I didn't know a Leaf-powered firewall was THIS good early on! Popped a useful rune on her way to Izual:

jA0Arun.jpg

Nice! And then, in the City of the Damned:

cibEUb8.jpg

Well then, not bad at all. Finally her Topaz luck is just starting to turn around too as she found her first standard Topaz in the RoF. Through the RoF Pao quickly hit the Forge before heading up through the CS, which was promptly was cleared, as were the seals, and it was time for Diablo. The fight was shockingly easy on /p3

Gh3KgOR.jpg

Firewall is just that powerful. The merc died, but all it took for Pao was a couple mana pots to seal the deal. The Glaive will be sent to Rindo, and the boots were decent too so I'm going to hang on to them for later.

Now she waits for her sister to catch up, which she quickly did.

Rindo - Lightning Strike Zon

With some new topaz gear and an upgraded weapon her sister found, it was smooth sailing for Rindo through the jungles. Power Strike is still super powerful at this stage and with the merc they just melt through everything. Made a decent find for now to help a bit with MF:

3JD1w8V.jpg

With the two nagels, this duo certainly is good at finding MF equipment! Szzark was shortly dealt with, and they cruised through the jungles to the next organ, and up to the ruined cities. And not too long later we found another unique ring.

Of course. That's the team's third Nagel. This one is the lowest MF so we're not going to use it, but that's getting a little silly now. On to Sarina's temple there was a little stair trap waiting.

YevF0qG.jpg

Easily dealt with, but a reminder of what might be to come later. Sarina herself was simple, as was retrieving the last organ. Up to the council, she took them slow and steady, one by one.

VFGVuBd.jpg

Before cruising through the Durance and getting to Meph. He fell easily and left nothing of use. On to Act 4!

other finds:
Cathans armor
Sander's Boots

---

Code:
Y   Pb_pal             Sorc/Zon          33/29   Pandemonium Fortress       39

I'll do a real write up soon, but I've created an assassin - Celeste. I plan to have a twin sister assassin, not yet named. Some ideas I have are Cynthia and Cecilia, but I'll keep thinking about it.

I'm posting now because I just hit level 12, and decided to gamble for boots. On the last gamble I had enough gold for, Gheed coughed it up

1626120955719.png

Quick update since most of this happened last week and my memory is pretty poor. Started back up with Ifrit the fire Druid at the start of Act III. He started putting points into Fissure as he leveled up, and I'm almost getting the hang of using it effectively. It did make quick work of Act III, so can't ask for a whole lot more than that. No real great finds, and Meph didn't drop anything useful.

I could feel the high fire resist already in normal in Act IV. NM will probably start bringing some immunes, and I don't want to think about Hell yet. No real trouble in the Act, and Diablo went down easy on /p3. Diablo did provide an unbelievable drop in the form of Razorswitch.

Screenshot092.jpg

This will certainly take me far into NM, if not Hell. Ifrit could not ask for a better weapon! Huge bonus to life, absurd bonus to mana, 50 resist all, +1 skills, 30% FCR, with the bonus of looking exceedingly stylish in the bright purple. For a blue potion guzzler, the 175 to mana more than doubled Ifrit's mana pool and makes life so much more enjoyable.

Act V went by fairly uneventfully, though had some interesting drops. I stashed this ring, just in case one day +light radius becomes useful.

Screenshot093.jpg

Don't recall ever seeing +7 before. He also found a Dol rune, which seems very soon for a mid-ish level rune.

Screenshot094.jpg

Baal was taken down at /p3, didn't drop anything too useful. Ifrit then proceeded to clear the cow level.

Then, I picked Shiva (FO Sorc) back up, knowing that the limiting factor to speed clearing Act V was blue potion supply. If she could manage to find a Razorswitch as well.... Notable drops for her in Act V: Bonesnap, second Nagelring, 2 gem shrines, and Mahim-Oak Curio Amulet. Baal didn't drop anything useful, and neither did the cows.

I went ahead and re-spec'ed Shiva to get back all the excess points spent in the early cold spells used in Acts 1-3, since at this point FO and CM are the only two skills I'll likely put points in on the cold tree. When she started NM, she went ahead and unlocked Hydra and FM, and is now pumping Hydra since FO is maxed. Coldcrow has been the only recipient of the hydra fireballs so far. She hasn't gone too far into NM yet, she's just rescued Cain, but still wipes out everything with 1 or 2 Frozen Orbs. It's quite refreshing playing an (at least in normal and NM) unstoppable killing machine :D.

Code:
Y   skoolbus           Druid/Sorc        48/49   (N) Dark Wood              60

Over the seas and through the woods to Mephisto's house we went:

Screenshot389.jpg

My Frozen Orb Sorceress cleared Hell Act III at a mix of players 5 and 3.

Players 5 was used up to the Kurast Bazaar. Players 3 was used for the rest of the act. The jungles were smooth sailing with cold immunes being few and far between. The early monster selection seemed to be very favorable. No Thrashers in the Spider Forest, and no Gloams in the Great Marsh. I of course did find Gloams in the Flayer Dungeons, but like Dolls, you've just got to expect that. Of note, there was one physical immune/cold immune Gloam in the Flayer Dungeon Level 1:

Screenshot382.jpg

Fortunately I had the solution! Unfortunately it was in my stash :( . So with no access to Open Wounds, this unique became the third monster to survive encountering one of my characters. Still, that's not too bad. Twenty-six acts completed, and only three monster survivors, I'll take that.

Past the jungles I started hitting more annoying cold immunes more often. The Kurast Bazaar and Upper Kurast had cold immune Thrashers and Priests. I could have toughed them out on players 5 but decided it wasn't worth the time. My Sorceress had hit clvl 86 in the jungle (which was the clvl I thought I'd be ending at ... not hitting mid Act III)! Plus, I'd already found everything that I could reasonably want ... So continuing at a higher players setting really just seemed masochistic. Once at players 3, progress through the last part of the act was really quite smooth. Dolls were my biggest concern. They were in the Sewers and the Durance Level 1, but not in the Durance Level 2, which was great, because as always, that place was HUGE. As a result, my Doll exposure was much less than it could have been. There weren't any close calls with Dolls or really anything else. Before I knew it I was at Mephisto wishing I'd thought to up the players setting. Oh well :rolleyes: . Players 3 Mephisto didn't drop any set/uniques (or anything interesting), but there were a few nice drops earlier in the act.

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a players 5/3 full clear of Hell Act III:
With a pitiful 10 mf (+23 if the merc kills)

Goldwrap, Heavy Belt (Spider Forest) <-- Cool! But both my characters are already all set on belts.
Black Hades, Chaos Armor (Spider Cavern) <-- Might have been interesting back when I was struggling for +strength on the merc.
Dangoon's Teaching, Reinforced Mace (Great Marsh)
Angelic Halo, Ring (Flayer Jungle)
Stormrider, Tabar (Flayer Jungle)
The Grim Reaper, War Scythe (Upper Kurast)
Iratha's Cuff, Light Gauntlets (Durance of Hate Level 1)

Not much there to get excited about. So my best find of the act was probably:

Screenshot384.jpg

This came just after I decided to drop the players setting from 5 to 3 ... something about not being super excited about the combination of Dolls and Unravellers ... Anyhow, getting something nice anyways really seemed to validate that decision. I also did find a Sol Rune (I'd run out) but didn't give it a roll. The 257% ED /+5 Critical Strike roll on my Thresher seems pretty hard to beat. Still, it's nice to have a backup option should disaster strike ...

Hell Act IV was the opposite of disaster!

I did the whole thing in a single go! I just couldn't stop. The RNG didn't select a single cold immune for me to face (up until CS of course). Hell Ac IV was therefore cleared at a mix of players 3 and 5. Given the foes I faced, I probably could have gone all players 5 ... but again, I'm not really after items or clvls ... so there really wasn't much incentive. Up against what had to be the ideal selection of foes, there really isn't much to report ... There were Souls, but none of the uniques got off any lucky shots. The CI Oblivion Knights in the Chaos Sanctuary slowed things down a bit, but Static Field, Teleport, Telekinesis, and a Life Tap wand left me with lots of good strategic options. When a little more was needed, using the terrain is always an option:

Screenshot394.jpg

Diablo was done at players 5, and I wished I'd gone higher. Static Field and then Frozen Orb tore him apart while the merc tanked with the help of Life Tap. Diablo dropped the only set/uniques I found all act:

Screenshot395.jpg

(The amulet was Tancred's.) So nothing interesting there. A couple grey monarch shields dropped. One had three sockets, the other two ... hmm ... good thing Act IV has the Hellforge:

Screenshot393.jpg

Okay, so almost by default, that's got to be the 'find' of the act. I wasn't really hoping for any specific rune, so I suppose I'm not disappointed. An Um Rune for Duress would have been fun, but I can't complain about how my Treachery is performing. Besides, I already have an armor with Open Wounds, I just need to remember to move it from my stash to my chest :D .

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          86/84   (H) River of Flame         157

Up next: It's my Trapsin's turn. I'm a bit nervous because I just saw a whole lot of LIs ... often entire areas full of nothing but LIs ... Let's hope the Soul situation isn't too bad. Also, Dolls and traps don't mix. This could get dangerous ...

@skoolbus Nice ring! Yeah I agree, you don't see +7 to light radius very often. I sure could have used that myself. I haven't been able to find anything to increase my light radius and keep stumbling into scary stuff in the dark ;) .

@skoolbus Fissure has carried my druid all the way to Hell. I've never really used the skill so it's been fun to play with. Even in Hell it kills everything not fire immune so quick. My merc/bear have to deal with everything else. I did find out that volcano does some physical damage. In nightmare it actually helped kill the fire immunes. In hell it really doesn't do much.

@HanShotFirst Awesome progress. That's great you didn't hit a ton of cold immunes. That's what I'm running into now with the fire druid and light sorc. Act 3 is going to be a pain. I'm very impressed that your run is single pass. Just not my style, maybe I'll try that at some point. Good luck with the trapsin, I hope you don't get too many light immunes.

I made a little progress but I'm at work so I'll wait to make a full update. Just wanted to say I'm impressed with the people doing single pass. That must be hard. I haven't gone back to a ton of areas but some runs were done to level a little bit and get some runes. Some time soon I'll have to try a single pass tournament char.

Also now that my guys are in hell I have needed to pay much more attention. My chars are softcore but for this tournament I'm playing as if they were hardcore. I don't ever play HC so I've had to really change my playstyle. Been a few close calls, mostly with boss packs exploding on death. Need to learn to give the monsters space to die.

Good luck everyone.

Oh Baal, I hope you didn't think these flunkies would stop me.
Nervous?
You should be!

Screenshot406.jpg

Screenshot411.jpg

My Trapsin has full cleared Hell Act III and IV at players 3!

Act III started off about how I expected. Everything in the Spider Forest was lightning immune. Everything :mad: . And not just lightning immune, but annoyingly so. There were lightning immune Zealots, Fetish, and Hawks. You know what those all have in common? They all run off mid-battle. So there the merc is in a sea of monsters attempting to get me a corpse for the Death Sentries but none of the monsters will stand and fight (and therefore die). So right out of the gates there had to be a couple changes. Players 5 wasn't going to happen, and I needed to get more aggressive in steering the course of battle. Bye-bye Life Tap wand. Hello Teleport staff. And that worked. It was still a bit annoying, but with me aggressively steering, the flow of battle changed decisively in my favor.

The Great Marsh was a welcome sight:

Screenshot396.jpg

Yeah! Something that's not lightning immune!
(Not usually something that's screenshot worthy, but after the time I had in the Spider Forest it seemed like the thing to do.)

And in fact, every area that would follow in both Act III and IV had at least one type of monster that wasn't lightning immune. Though, I think every area also had at least one type of monster that was lightning immune ... Oh well, it's Hell. It's what I expected. With the Life Tap wand in the chest, the strategy went something like: Open with Lightning and Death Sentry, unless up against LIs, then Death Sentry and merc ... maybe with Fire Blast added for good measure. Mind Blast and Shadow Master for crowd control. Teleport staff to steer the fight. Oh, and don't pass up a good opportunity for all of the above plus using the terrain:

Screenshot399.jpg

One of my big concerns going into Hell Act III was Dolls. Sure enough, they were in the jungle dungeons, the Sewers, and the Durance of Hate Level 1 and 2 :( . In Nightmare I had stopped using traps around them. This time I didn't have the patience. Fire Blast wasn't working as quickly as it once had, and so the Dolls were on screen longer, and had more chances to do crazy things mid-battle ... like run right up to me :rolleyes: . I decided that the best thing to do would be to only use Lightning Sentry around them. That cut them down pretty quickly and seemed much more predictable than Death Sentry invisibly triggering Corpse Explosion (and then Doll explosions) all around the screen. And it seemed to work! There were no close calls with Dolls even though there was ample opportunity:

Screenshot405.jpg

Because, as always, the Durance of Hate Level 2 was humongous.

The scariest stuff happened in the Kurast temples. The Ruined Temple was what I consider 'the bad layout'. The one with the large chamber and two little wings right off the entrance. It was stair trapped with Wailing Beasts ... and Spiders ... and some Ghouls got in on the action soon enough ... and you know what? That temple is small enough that some Corrupted Rogues came and made an appearance too :oops: . As you can imagine, this cluster f*** quickly filled the entirety of the entryway. With the Life Tap wand in the chest, I was using Mind Blast to buy time. Stunning some was good. Converting some helped. But there was just way too much going on in way too small of a space. Oh, and a Spider had bitten me ... big time ... so the health globe kept draining fast due to poison :eek: . Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. Let's go blind teleporting with our staff o_O ! Because nothing says 'oh sh*t' like an Assassin blind teleporting around with a teleport staff. I went for one of the side chambers and it had more monsters!? It wasn't ideal but I wasn't going to try teleporting back through the entryway mob that was already giving chase. So time to make a stand! More Mind Blast. More Mind Blast. Shadow Master spawned in the doorway. Merc got a corpse! Deploy Death Sentries! Woohoo! Follow that train of corpses all the way back to the entrance! On the upside, the rest of the temple was a breeze, as pretty much everything had come to the entrance and gotten caught up in the chain of corpse explosion :D .

The next most interesting encounter was the Ruined Fane where there were a whole bunch of LI Beetles waiting:

Screenshot401.jpg

Including some champions. If I didn't have my teleport staff I probably could have been pinned and killed ... but alas for them, I came prepared. The combination of Teleport and Mind Blast bought me enough time here for the merc to start getting corpses for the Death Sentries. The experience was a bit alarming ... but not nearly as bad at the Ruined Temple (you can know that for sure, because here, I was confident enough to take a screenshot ;) ).

Hell Act IV was much more relaxing. There were still LIs in every area but there was one big difference. Space. With lots of room to maneuver it's hard to go too wrong. And Act IV certainly has lots of wide open spaces. The most interesting thing about Hell Act IV was how many cold immunes I ran into. My Frozen Orb Sorceress had made it to the Chaos Sanctuary before encountering any CIs. Unless my memory is failing, my Trapsin found CI Flesh Spawners in the Outer Steppes, Plains of Despair, City of Damned, and River of Flame ... in other words, everywhere! This would have been insanely annoying for my Sorceress! But for my Trapsin, it meant there were lots of little seed monsters for getting corpse explosion going :devilish: . In any event, nice and steady was the name of the game. Soon enough I had reached Diablo himself. I had done everything else at players 3, so why change now? This was my first encounter with Diablo since unlocking my Shadow tree, and oh what a difference. Diablo got hit with Life Tap, the merc took one side, the Shadow Master took the other, and the Lighting Sentries went to work:

Screenshot410.jpg

As you can see, Diablo got the Shadow Master more than a few times (she's that poofing glow under his right arm). But he only got the merc once (and honestly, that could have been prevented if I hadn't been so sparing with the fat purples).

Oh, hey. You see that puddle of blood under Diablo? Well here was the Hellforge drop:

Screenshot407.jpg

Not an Um Rune, but just as good. Remember that Pul Rune that my Frozen Orb Sorceress found on a random Fallen Shaman back in the Cold Plains (Hell Act I)? No of course you don't. But she did, and so I can make a Duress! I found two eth elite armors back in Hell Act II ... but they rolled two and four sockets. So, the highlight of my stashed choices was a three socketed Loricated Mail with 493 defense. Or, an eth Mage Plate with a 2/3 chance to cube to three sockets and 567 defense. Well, I don't care for Loricated Mail as a base and probably would never use it on another character anyways so I went with the Mage Plate. It cubed to three sockets. Yeah! And here's the end result:

Duress
Mage Plate
'ShaelUmThul'
Defense: 1564
Durability: 31 of 31
Required Strength: 45
Required Level: 47
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0x6e96a279
+176% Enhanced Defense
+12% Enhanced Damage
Fire Resist +15%
Lightning Resist +15%
Cold Resist +45%
Poison Resist +15%
Adds 37-133 cold damage over 2 seconds
40% Faster Hit Recovery
33% Chance of Open Wounds
15% Chance of Crushing Blow
-20% Slower Stamina Drain
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (3: 3 used)

Neat. Now there was nothing wrong with the Treachery armor I had been using on the mercs. But triple the defense and always having access to crushing blow and open wounds was too tempting to pass up. So how's it compare to the Treachery? To soon to tell. It seemed good while we were in the River of Flame heading into the Chaos Sanctuary ... but there wasn't much time to assess it there ... and once in the Chaos Sanctuary the Oblivion Knights meant all chances for a fair assessment were off. So, I'm looking forward to really putting it to the test where it really counts, Hell Act V!

But before I go, and by popular demand. Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of Hell Act III and IV:
With 77 mf (+23 if the merc kills).

Vidala's Fetlock, Light Plated Boots (Great Marsh)
Magefist, Light Gauntlets (Flayer Dungeon Level 3)
Razortine, Trident (Travincal)
Buriza-Do Kyanon, Ballista (Mephisto)

Ribcracker, Quarterstaff (Chaos Sanctuary)
Langer Briser, Arbalest (Diablo)

If I was in the market for some exceptional crossbows I'd be pretty excited. As is, I'm feeling glad that I wasn't hoping for anything more before heading into Act V.

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          86/85   (H) Harrogath              166

Up next:

I’ve killed a hell of a lot of bosses to get to this point, but I have only one more.
The last one. The one I’m marching to right now. The only one left.
And when I arrive at my destination, I am gonna kill Baal.

Frozen Orb Sorceress first.

Last edited:
"Akkarat...give me strength."

Hephaestus continued his march on Mount Arreat, rescuing Barbarians, foiling the plots of traitors, and finally ascending the mountain itself. The Ancients gave no quarter when testing his mettle, and he asked for none. They bestowed their blessings on the Holy warrior as he braved the Worldstone Keep in his search for Baal.

Baal's minions proved no threat, and in the final confrontation, Baal was no match for a champion of the light:
Screenshot026.jpg

On the surface, he was not very generous...

Screenshot025.jpg

...but great things may grow from small seeds:

Stone Bane
Morning Star
One-Hand Damage: 19 to 45
Durability: 46 of 72
Required Strength: 36
Required Level: 37
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0x127ed2b4
+174% Enhanced Damage
+2 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +8%
150% Damage to Undead
Level 2 Zeal (20/25 Charges)
+0.5 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+16 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

OK, so it's not a Baranar's, but upped to a Devil Star, socketed and Shaeled, could be a nice option for early Hell, if I find no better by then (and are still around, of course). I think it'll be dealing 118-182 base damage, with a really nice AR bonus, around level 74.

Act V was mostly easy at /p5 all the way, save for the Ancients, and, it must be said, Baal. Both were dropped just to avoid the tedium of those fights; both could have been handled easily on 5, or higher I think. The Ancients always make me a little skittish, but I think I used one potion the whole way.

Now what made it so easy? Well, the Paladin benefited from my Zon finding the Tan Do Li Ga (from Baal), and it was perfectly fine, but then I thought...why not make it finer? So it became a Knout, effectively tripling the damage. As I was wreaking havoc through the caves, some mob was carrying...The Patriarch! This was fairly effective, even one shotting some mobs, but so much slower than the flail, and just not a great Zeal weapon. Only 1 close call, an Extra Strong Moon Lord pack that knocked me down to about 10-15%, but I was able to purple and move; nice having Vengeance to switch to and avoid Zeal-lock.

After completing Baal, the cousins took turns slaughtering cows; the Zon found a Dol rune (1 in 6715 chance!), but the rest was just vendor trash.

And now we turn to Nightmare. I believe I am going to utilize the 2nd tree on the Paladin first; my reasoning is as follows (please feel free to advise if I'm wrong/crazy):

The Zon can make the Peace RW now, just need to find a decent 3os armor; with the 2 % chance to cast a lvl 15 Valk, it offers the best part of the Passive tree and a two tank setup which worked extremely well for my Bowazon. Assuming I get through NM, I can make Treachery for Hell if I get a Lem rune and then activate the Passive tree.

The Pally, which, on the surface, seems tankier, will be getting hit way more, of course, and, I think I have changed my mind on trees, I think I will go with defense, and this is my philosophy: By going with the 20/1 split in Prayer/cleansing, I get a constant health regen and reduced poison/curse duration, and I can pump points into LCR Resist, which provides the passive buff and synergizes with Vengeance, which will be huge for PI's in Hell. Not sure if I should go with a Might or HF merc for crowd control...leaning towards HF but I'll be hitting like a wet noodle without Might/Fana.

What a great ride so far; not too many heart attack moments, some decent finds, and I am looking forward to NM. Was planning on /P3 all the way but I may start at /P5 and see how I handle it. Thanks for reading!

S
Code:
P  Forum Name         Characters        Level   Furthest WP             Points
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          86/85   (H) Harrogath              166
N   Crudesash68        Zon/Paladin       46/45   (N) Rogue Encampment       60