The 'Spirit' is willing (but the runes are weak) ACCOMPLISHED!!

Sep 12, 2013
The 'Spirit' is willing:
Spirit
4 Socket Swords/Shields​
Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn​
Shields
+2 To All Skills
+25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense Vs. Missile
+22 To Vitality
+89-112 To Mana (varies)
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
Attacker Takes Damage of 14​
I've been pursuing this for quite a while, hoarding every Tal, Thul, Ort, Amn, Hel & Dol I could find. One day hoping to roll the PERFECT 'Spirit' shield(s). By this, I mean not just +35% FCR, but all three variable mods.
I keep thinking about you baby
I can't hardly sleep
You're always on my mind
I can't stay away
Each roll having the odds of - 1:11 (+35% FCR), 1:24 (+112 Mana), and 1:6 (+8 Absorb). Odds of all three perfect rolls are a paltry 1 in 1,584. So.. not good..
Can't explain
The sources of this hidden pain
You burned your way into my heart
You got the key to my brain
Now, @SirName's recent roll in the IFT has reminded me of my quest. So, I thought I would gather up some of my old posts on the subject, and make an item quest thread about it. :)
I'd forgotten about you
Then you turned up again

1. Find Monarchs: having a 100% stable rack right next to the WP in Lower Kurast is a good way to go.
Screenshot764.jpg
2. To re-roll, or not to re-roll? That is the question: At first I just re-rolled most anything below +30% FCR. Then, as I started to get plenty of +35s I started to become a bit more choosy, only rolling 148 def Monarchs.
8833-4d379f38991c6985c82c24114b3056e5.jpg
8834-1d1f2852bcbadc16c2350a7b3f87c2e1.jpg
3. Once you have several of these, you start to contemplate more "interesting" options: Eth-Bugged and Superior
I don't get it, why ethereal?
  • Lower strength requirements - On pre-buff switch, or for non-melee characters
  • Act 3 Mercs - Don't benefit from the +mana, but hey it will sure look cool!
  • Can be "Cubed bugged". If you do the socket recipe with ethereal armor, helm or shield, it gets an additional 50% defense!
4. The perfect bugged Monarch: 148 def x 1.5 x 1.5 = 333 def .. Exactly half of 666.. coincidence???

333 Defense, Eth-bugged 'Spirit' Monarch; +35% FCR, +112 Mana, +8 Absorb: I will have you...
Life without you
Doesn't mean a thing to me
If I can't have you
I'll throw my love into the deep blue sea

And, after a mere 1201 rolls (comfortably below the 1584 possible), here it is in all it's ethereal glory. Iron Wolves stand by!
Code:
Smells_likeTeen's Spirit
Monarch
TalThulOrtAmn
Defense: 333
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 44 of 44
Required Level: 54
Required Strength: 146
Fingerprint: 0xf58b62c0
Item Level: 79
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to All Skills
+35% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+112 to Mana
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+8 Magic Absorb
Attacker Takes Damage of 14 Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

** Special ALERT **
Before anybody else tries to Zod bug another monarch, see here:

Last edited:
I've never picked up enough runes to care about more than the FCR.
I suppose if I were to hunt for a perfect one I'd get a number of (148 Def or w/e) Monarchs to work with and then just keep re-rolling the worst one each time.

Reactions: D2DC
Haha! Do it! Achieve this, no other 35 FCR spirits will be worthy enough to be posted in IFT ever again..

There's always a guy...and often, this guy has this name - not surprised at all :p

GL @D2DC !

From IFT ;-)
My own crafting strategy is usually based upon two situations:
- only one base to craft with,
- having at least two.

In the first case I target a mid roll, say 30 or 33fcr for Spirit.
In the second case I alternate until the craft becomes better.

The limit being number of Hel available...But did I need to state about that ;-)

Anyway, you're just getting close to the hundred failed ones...just get there and dump it in a new crafting failure thread, @D2DC has his own one, Heart of the ocean... 😇 (and some pieces could be great anyway, a 33+FCR with close to perfect other stats is more than usable!)

I was so close! :p

Last edited:
I just want to double check everything, because I hate doing LK runs (in 1.14..) And, I am seeing 148 def Monarchs dropping like rain, but ethereal not so much.
Monarch.jpg
Please correct me if/where I'm wrong with my estimation:
  1. Ethereal Monarch will drop from rack 1/20 (occasionally it will be magic/rare/unique, so it's actually slightly less for a grey ethereal)
  2. Just realized step #2 is probably a big factor in why I felt like I wasn't finding enough.. What are the chances that a drop/rack will be socketed already? (an ethereal drop that already has sockets is useless to me) edit: also superior drops wont work..
  3. Running the cube recipe is 1/4 chances of getting 4os
  4. Getting max def roll is 1/16 (133-148). Does it re-roll the defense when you run the cube recipe? I guess it actually doesn't matter. Either it has to drop with max def, or roll max def. Both routes still would require 1/16 odds.
So, not including step #2, I'm looking at 1280 Monarch drops before I can roll a perfect 333 def, 4os?

Double checking, I already have: 301, 303, 307, 310, 312, 316, 321, 324, 325. I am assuming that there exists: 299, 305, 314, 318. So, yeah another 3 above the 325 should get you to 333.

Edit: a couple cool (non Monarch) drops I've managed so far.
Code:
Rune Master
Ettin Axe
One Hand Damage: 170 - 343
Durability: 13 of 13
Required Level: 72
Required Strength: 135
Required Dexterity: 35
Fingerprint: 0xa9ce270e
Item Level: 80
247% Enhanced Damage
+5% to Maximum Cold Resist
Cannot Be Frozen Ethereal
4 Sockets (0 used)

Serpent's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x67311244
Item Level: 80
+16 to Life
+16 to Mana

Edit2: The last 2x roll attempts, I actually paid attention to the "pre-roll" def. They both rolled with new def exactly +50%, which leads me to believe the cube recipe does NOT re-roll defense. Can anybody confirm this? That would save me from expending a bunch of Tal + Amn + Pruby on non-perfect def.

Last edited:
Reactions: d2lover
tal+amn+pruby recipe doesn't reroll defense.

just need to get 148/222 defense shields and you're good to go.

• Love
Please correct me if/where I'm wrong with my estimation:
  1. Just realized step #2 is probably a big factor in why I felt like I wasn't finding enough.. What are the chances that a drop/rack will be socketed already? (an ethereal drop that already has sockets is useless to me) edit: also superior drops wont work..
  2. Running the cube recipe is 1/4 chances of getting 4os

1. It first rolls unique with 1 in 400-(80-72) chance, then set with 1 in 160-(80-72) chance, then rare with 1 in 100-(80-72) chance, then magic with 1 in 34-(80-72) chance, then superior with 1 in 12-(80-72) (seems very high to me) and finally if it fails all of those it rolls normal. If it is superior or normal it has a 1 in 3 chance to be socketed.
  2. Socketing with cube rolls 1-6 sockets and then if the roll is higher than the max on that item it sets it down to the max. Since Monarch has max 4os, a roll of 4, 5 or 6 os will result in 4os being assigned. So the chance to get 4os is 50%.

Reactions: Fruit and D2DC
Thanks @art_vandelay! I forgot where I read it.. I always thought sockets were rolled 1-(max), and then if max sockets gets rolled, but is impossible due to ilvl it would get rolled down. I like your info much better!! :D

Edit: so getting a non-unique/set/rare/magic/superior/non-socketed would be:
399/400 x 159/160 x 99/100 x 33/34 x 11/12 x 2/3 = 58.21%

Does that look right?

That would explain why I feel I'm not getting very many ethereal to roll.. 4/10 ethereals will not be viable in the cube recipe.. :(

At least the 50% for 4os makes up for that! Only having to find (on average) 2x Monarchs with 222 def sounds much better than getting 4x!! :oops:

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High