The Normal Set Project

And what does the hellforge yield if not...an Um rune.
5.JPEG

Game characters do of course have spawn-days instead of birthdays and clearly Neeraj got his upgraded stick on a plain common day but still received congratulations from his responsible employer. Neeraj survived against nightmare Diablo in fact, not bad! With this being the final nail in the coffin of bad or even average luck for Sigon he can look forward to a career backed by a crescent moon weapon (the lightning effects would go well with the white set) or a duress armor for Neeraj or whoever should replace him. Now at level 62 and the homelands await to be retaken.

Conqueror Sigon and Mephistos tea parties.
No runeword base materials have been found but Sigon, now at level 69, has located his gothic plate in mephistos wardrobe! Also tripped over the magnificent Woestave on the way to Nihlatak and after that Baal was done for.

6.JPEG

Sigon is now looking for six things:
His shield x 2, so he can switch weapons.
Base item for the black runeword to smash bosses and blow up things.
Base item for the crescent moon runeword.
Base item for the passion runeword, though since he has had very bad luck with topazes I am considering making the wealth runeword instead if I can find the armor for it.
The generals flail or Pompeiis wrath to slow enemies with.

He has found several interesting other things though;
The blade of Ali Baba, which added notable effect to magic finding.
The headstriker battle sword, a favourite of mine. Suits the white theme too. I keep it in case he would find a Pul rune.
Tal Rashas mask which Neeral appreciated.

Half the shopping list is dealt with and Sigon has his full set and a slowing flail!
7.JPEG

8.JPEG

The ability to slow enemies by himself has proved very beneficial, I hadn't expected that difference. Listers minions are particularly easier to deal with. Now Sigon will raid Baal for experience until level 75 and hopefully he will find an elite base weapon for a runeword, otherwise he will use the headstriker as main weapon and see if he can deal with hell countess effectively enough to get a Pul rune to upgrade it. Neither a socketed tyrant club nor legend sword in sight, and they are usually so common.

Sigon is now at level 72, still with Neeraj. I am starting to think I should keep Neeraj no matter what weapons Sigon finds. Woestave is pretty much unbeatable as support.

While Sigon is steadily grinding experience (now level 73) I am getting bored and possibly distracted by it so it's safest to switch to some other character a bit. None other han Clueles has advanced to level 24 after the common early dirtyt ricks, namely steel flails and double swing, stealthy armor, cubed savage lochaber axes and damage-adding jewels in his helmet. He is wearing a spling ail and helmet just like in his set. It doesn't look quite as bad as I expected, perhaps since he used a chain mail earlier which is my least favourite armor on a barbarian from an aesthetic point of view. The jewels add 1-17 damage, which coupled with the fast flails makes a big difference. He only lacks life stealing (he was lucky to get a savage lochaber axe of the bat) but at least has two standard rubies so blood crafted life stealing may not be too far away. I actually find myself longing for Cathans Seal, the otherwise unwelcomly common...

Sander has begun his nightmare career and is at level 44. On 1 player setting thing sure melt quickly under Baranis spells and the iron golem has over 3k hit points. The latter has been reconstructed from a strengthy partizan and if the poison immunity is enough to stand up to Andariel things will be quite interesting (I don't count on it though). He has also found a four socket gothic plate to socket with yellow stones of luck.

One side effect from accidentally patching the game is that it cleared up a few glitches in my installation (probably deriving from years of maintenance applications and file copying from drive to drive) affecting the light effects in the game. Now all the beautiful ambient shine from the curses and in the Den of Evil is back, very nice actually when you cast curses all around.

Sigon stands in hell, I hadn't the patience to grind down nightmare Baal anymore. At level 74 he has tried out stunning with stunning success but he deals far too little damage. I feel the lack of elite weapons. I found a white reinforced mace and used my saved amethyst to add sockets but only got one :mad: So far in hell there has dropped a white ogre maul, elegant blade and silver-edged axe. But none of the one-handers Sigon could make use of.

The game continues to taunt Sigon with a four-socket ogre maul (would have been perfect with stunning so you don't need to worry about inteerupting counterattacks) and loads of the wrong kind of elite weapons or wrong number of sockets. Boo! Sigon has reached the Outer Cloister but skipped past Blood Raven and the tower, consideringthem too tedious without better armament against physically resistant zombies and ghosts. Now at level 76.

Tactically the combination of slowing and taunt is enough to deal easily with most mobs and Neraj can so far take down all foes once Sigon has taunted away their minions.

Berserk would suffice well with a better weapon but Sigon hits and damages too little for my taste to deal with the hordes of sturdy zombies and mana draining ghosts. Crescent Moon would be desirable just as much for the ITD as the light effects.

However...
9.JPEG

#Uselesshammerer.

Now only Maltatais laziness and negligence or bakruptcy can stop Sigon. The repair costs are absolutely ridiculous. At least now there is no need to think up ways to spend the money...

Sigon now at level 78, standing in the Inner Cloister with all side areas cleared up.

Sigon has completed Act I. The budget is holding so far, as long as he picks up every item of note and sells it.

An interesting find in the catacombs. Praise the lucky greaves.
10.JPEG

11.JPEG

Bloodmoons strengths - speed, life stealing and open wounds - are things Sigon already has. I have stashed it as a reserve along with the Headstriker that I hope to be able to upgrade in the future. I won't be visiting the tower more though, because the last visit was greeted by dual fanatic archer bosspacks that provided a clear reminder of how risky that place is, especially if you are getting bored from too much item hunting.

Despite battle orders, a blood golem without golem mastery and summon resist does not last long. It migth be useful as an extra decoy against potential stair traps though.

I tried to bring Isenhart the stuck paladin out of retirement but only really managed to get myself really tired of running bosses to get specific items. Now at level 72 at least and in hell.
The thing is, Isenhart and his underequipped town guard Mizan suffered from general poor durability and crowd control overall so I raided Andariel and Mephisto hoping to get some slowing item. I had decided to throw out Bloodfist in favor of Cleglaws Pincers should I come across them, which I did. That proved to be the right decision. Mizan did however not fare so well but Isenhart came upon Riphook the favourite bow instead! Mizan was promptly fired (again, see posts about Mimmi) in favor of a rogue with Riphook (again). Klaudia entered Isenharts service and with Riphook and Treachery her rate of fire is marvellous. I searched for the face of horror or Howltusk to capitalize on that speed but got fed up with it and entered hell underleveled. Despite the dangerous weaknesses of the team they have fared reasonably well in the beginning and a couple of extra points into conversion has made all the difference in the world actually. The great danger is enemy archers.

I now realize how much Isenhart needs a teleportation amulet. What possibilities along with holy freeze to outrun opponents and let Klaudia fire away unhindered...but mostly to escape stairtraps and specifically get to the mound in the claw viper temple from which Klaudia can fire.

I currently doubt whether I should remain in hell and gathe rmoney to gamble for a teleport amulet or go back to grind for a dreadful hat for Klaudia. I believe the former is better because teleporting will be decisive while fear and knockback is highly useful but not as game-changing, and I know myself well enough to avoid too boring item hunting which makes me play badly.

Have no fear, Tancred is here! Glory to the light - my light from my lightning that I will soon unleash on the pitiful monsters that would stand in my way.
Isenhart stands cut off and impotent in hell but I shall rescue his sorry stature and in doing so restore the respect for the zealots. Already I have advance to level 21 and crafted a flail of steel and stealthy armor. Heaven has blessed me with a russet ring of the leech this early in my career and Andariel gave up a ruby that I have upgraded by praying at holy gem shrines. Soon I can craft bloody gloves and steal more life. I have also been honored with life replenishing items so even undead are of little trouble.

My weapon is holy shock, delivered by my fast pickaxe. Contrary to common tesladins I will only put a few points in zeal and instead gain attack rating from my trustworthy apprentice Chalans blessed aim. Instead I will use the extra points to maximise smite to not only stun enemies but have a backup attack against lightning immunes, taking advantage of the open shield slot in my set. An elite targe or rondache would be best as they need little strength. Cleglaws gloves will add to the slowing of my own items. The spare skill points will go into conversion (possible as primary attack even thanks to blessed aim) and holy shield.

The cube awaits and since I have gathered my strength to wielda lochaber axe I have high expectations. I laso note that Milabrega the Embarrassment remains consigned to menial tasks long forgotten. Probably building watchtowers with his little hammer.

It has come to my dignified attention that lesser elements of our noble order, that I shall not befoul our noble gathering by giving name to, would dare entertain the idea that I, Milabrega, should achieve anything but complete and indisputable success in relieving the besieged brother Isenhart.
Such ignorant lesser elements are of course wrong and will be duly persecuted once the much more important blasphemies of the Prime Evils are eradicated. I shall smite the evil with my most holy shield and unmatched concentration. Against resilient foes and the despicable undead I will summon the blessed hammers which also benefit from my hightened focus. The fair Ithera will help me discover the heretics with her inner sight and none will outrun her arrows as she is empowered by my aura.

I have prepared thoroughly by equipping us both with stealthy armors so that we may approach the apostates unnoticed, as well as socketing a targe of our order with emboldening Tir runes. A simple yet useful scepter improves my hammers. The light has granted me faster casting rings that lets me spread the hammered blessings rapidly. Later I must see to it that I find gloves and belt and boots that resist the fell magic of renegade sorcerers and demons. Conversion can not be utilised due to re-fallen enemies benefiting from my concentration aura for brief moments. With only smite at my disposal masses of enemies are likely to become a problem but blessed hammers utility against mobs will partly compensate for that. It would not be out of place if Ithera could instill some proper fear of the light in our foes to keep them in line, and I will most likely need a teleportation amulet to make the most of both our ranged attacking power. It may also be the case that the ever useful pincers of cleglaw prove essential to me but as resistances are scarse I would prefer to be able to devote the gloves spot to other needs.

I am currently cleansing the deserts of Aranoch and have achieved level 25, far ahead of crude and ignorant lesser elements, best relegated to sewage duties at the monastery of the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye.

Tancred runs fervently forward to level 24 and shines brightly in the unlocked core skills. The crafted blood gloves happened to require level 35... On a more succesful note he managed to cube a savage partizan of the leech for Chalan.

After an irritating experience in the deserts among scarabs and undead Tancred has set sail to the jungle at level 28.

Cleglaw has advanced to level 41. Progress is generally smooth but ice trolls and yetis are a pain sometimes. He got the worst pelt I've ever got from Anya but found a new bow for Mahala the rogue. No sign of the shield and normal Andariel and Mephisto only drop rares with his low magic finding.

Cleglaw, with tooth and claw!
Now at level 46, and with all set pieces assembled, Cleglaw is ready for any nightmare. As I wrote, I was not enthusiastic about the magic finding despite my excellent map to normal Mephisto, but all changed when Cleglaw ran into a three socket druid pelt. He had been very, very lucky with topazes and had cubed himself no less than three perfect ones which he could put into the new hat. Now Mephisto dropped green sometimes and Cleglaw took a break from questing and levelling to hunt interesting items. He did not find any shield but got the rogues bow which is very funny since Mahala is a rogue. Since I am easily bored I decided to hunt for gem shrines in Act I to upgrade the emeralds so the bow could be upgraded. In the Cold Plains there were four in one corner and one more on the way to Blood Raven. Blood Raven has a good chance of dropping some of the lowest set items, including the shield I was after, and that was also what she did after not very many runs! What luck! The sword and gloves Cleglaw had found on the way already. Mahala later got her new bow, since it is that part of the year after all. TRhe Rogues Bow is not so strong in itself but the superb speed lets you capitalize on damage or effects from other gear. Mahala has no real such things at the moment but a bit of damage from the Duskdeep full helm she wears helps. I hope to find a scary mask or rattling cage for her, that should be fun. Now onward to nighmare Andariel to lay firey paws on whatever she can be pursuaded to give up.

1 Set Complete.jpg

Hsarus has completed normal but is nothing like Cleglaw. Despite the aid of Gaile the competent he struggles and can't handle 8 players settings efficiently. With hurricane as main damage source he needs to be close by but hasn't the equipment to stand up to enemy attacks. I hope sol runes from the countess in nightmare will fix that. Also, throwing weapons haven't been abundant and Hsarus doesn't have anything to help with damage from those yet either. However, Act I and II should be good for hurricane, especially the tight undead packs in the tombs of Aranoch. It remains to be seen if he can handle nightmare Andariel yet. Level 40 anyway, and progressing while feeling quite stuck. On the up side of things, he has found his boots! I really long for another piece to unlock that attack rating.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High