The Enigma Project: How Many LK Runs Will it Take?

BBS_Agonistes

Jun 27, 2014
EDIT: Final Results Here - 4,801 Runs for Enigma, 5k total
EDIT 2: Another 5k Runs - 4,277 Runs for an Enigma's-worth of runes

On Monday I started the goal of farming "Enigma" from scratch in Lower Kurast. I recently assembled a lot of runewords (Grief, Fortitude, Infinity, CtA, etc.) and left my stash completely bereft of high runes. At the same time I didn't have much time to play D2R at home, though I discovered my work computer could run D2R and it's a slow season at work. If I play in windowed mode, it's a good way to pass the time, as it doesn't take focus and since runs are so fast I can still make calls, be interrupted, or respond to emails and it's no problem. I transferred my sorc to the work computer and began rolling maps.

I likely won't be cubing up from Los or Ohms (I could use another Grief and a higher roll CtA), so Bers and Surs it is! I don't know if there's anything more definitive than Gripphon's classic guide, but he projected on average needing ~3855 runs to farm Enigma. I'll probably update the thread every 1,000 runs or so with my progress.

First 1,000 Runs - Runes Pul and Above:
Rolling map - Ber
Run 173 - Um
Run 203 - Mal
Run 207 - Mal
Run 423 - Pul
Run 561 - Pul (poppable)
Run 586 - Um
Run 862 - Mal
Run 928 - Mal
Run 976 - Um

So far, quite the unusual start to the project! As I posted in the IFT, I was rolling maps on /players 1 and a Ber popped from a chest. Since then, not a whole lot has dropped on /p7, but I have gotten the map down quite nicely and I learned one trick that has saved me a ton of pain: using the "E" key to force move the run through A3 town instead of using the mouse. Using the mouse to walk through town caused my wrist to ache a lot, but pressing E instead literally makes 500 runs feel about like 100 did with my previous approach. Not sure why I never thought of this solution before... kind of obvious.

Racking:
I also had a rack in one of the huts that dropped Matriarchal Javelins and Yaris, so I decided to see if I could rack a Thunderstroke. Though I've had unique drop from racks, and racked RW bases, I've never racked a specific unique item on purpose, so I just wanted to see how difficult it was. (Anything to make the endless runs less boring!)

Run 20something - Bloodletter - huh?
Run 83 - +4 Jav Thunderstroke - that was fast!
Run 284 - Hone Sundan (194%ED)
Run 537 - Hone Sundan #2
Run 599 - Stormspike - weird...
Run 637 - Hone Sundan #3

The weapon racks seem much more unstable than armor racks, but I was surprised at how often they drop unique. I got bored of the weapon rack after those drops so I mostly quit hitting it. Also popped some unique off bodies, etc., but nothing too remarkable--a pair of Sandstorm Treks.

Let's see what another 1,000 runs brings...

Screenie of the high one:
Screenshot 2022-08-01 100202 (1) (1) Cropped (1).png

Last edited:
Love your focus on a undertaking of this sort. I try doing that with my SoJ quest but it’s always easy to find reasons to not do those runs (I can blame MFO now since my pally is my Andy runner)

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Gripphon's guide is slightly outdated as the LK patterns have been datamined in the meantime. The best resource for your purposes is probably this runefinding calculator by @Luhkoh which has the correct data (i.e. all relevant patterns) and will give you some idea on expected time, confidence level etc. based on your run times.

Good luck!

Thanks, guys!
Gripphon's guide is slightly outdated as the LK patterns have been datamined in the meantime. The best resource for your purposes is probably this runefinding calculator by @Luhkoh which has the correct data (i.e. all relevant patterns) and will give you some idea on expected time, confidence level etc. based on your run times.

Good luck!
Thanks--very helpful! I guess part of the fun is that I still really have no idea how many runs it will take, given that it's random and this is only one go at it.

Last edited:
Love your focus on a undertaking of this sort. I try doing that with my SoJ quest but it’s always easy to find reasons to not do those runs (I can blame MFO now since my pally is my Andy runner)
The beauty of this is that I couldn't really do much more than something mindless and quick like LK runs or maaaybe Pindle runs while at work. So it's sort of restrictive in and of itself. Not having other options should keep me a bit more focused on plugging away.

EDIT: Sorry for two posts in a row... thought I was editing my post above.

I discovered my work computer could run D2R and it's a slow season at work
Sneaky... :D

Does that mean you are planning to cube two Bers?
You got one Ber so you are halfway there. I understand that getting 2 Bers from LK perhaps is faster than farming a direct Jah but Ber is like the most useful rune so cubing two of these is not a wise choice to my eyes.

• Haha
Haha, I'm blessed to be in a position at work where I'm far up enough in the chain of command that my superior doesn't care if I use my free time for whatever (he often encourages me to leave work and go do other stuff when it's slow), so I don't actually have to sneak. :LOL:

Yes, the plan was to cube up to Jah and Ber, but I get where you're coming from. Part of the lure was maybe having a barb ready to run pits for the MFO. Also, it's sort of the next runeword on my list. I will run a little Cows on the side with the Javazon to see if a Jah drops, but she's still a tad slow.

Did another 230 runs, and wasn't planning to report but...

Run 1056 - Mal
Run 1124 - Sur!
Run 1143 - Sur #2!!

Screenshots:
1 (1).png
2.png
I was quite in disbelief at them dropping so close together in the same hut! Now I'm more than halfway there.

Whew, that was brutal. Did 770 runs today.

My brother's family was coming in town and arriving really late at night, and wife and kids went to bed early, leaving me to make sure the company got in safe, which meant several hours of grind time.

A second Sur 30 runs in and then nothing much for ~750 more runs.

Run 1268 Sur #3
Run 1530 Pul
Run 1617 Mal
Run 1713 Pul
Run 1723 Pul
Runs 1724-2000 - Nothing

Thought for sure I had it today, but not quite. With Ber x1 and Sur x3 I'm only one Sur or Ber off, though. RNG is going to RNG.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhineasB and Arjan
Haha we shall see… I am a bit tired of LK so I may switch to Cows for a while. Either way, I’ll finish out the experiment of how many runs for Enigma in LK, even if a Jah drops elsewhere and I’m only doing it theoretically.

That said, I’ve started to consider the base for Enigma. I’m thinking Light Plate at the moment.

Reactions: PhineasB
I did some calcs for PvP (1.14) and concluded:
- Breast Plate if you won’t carry a Monarch
- Mage Plate if you will.

But as @Excalibur said, with Torch & Anni Mage Plate is a no brainer.

• Love
And Mage Plate isn’t ugly, as an added bonus :D (Full disclosure: I’ve stomached the aesthetic insult of Breast Plate on my untwinked 99er Pally to save some stat points)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys!

A little update: another 1,000 runs down. Looks like the runes dried up a bit:
Runs 2001-3000
2055 - Mal
2477 - Ist
2506 - Pul

So the first 1000 runs had 10 Pul or above, and the second yielded 8, but this set only yielded 3. That made it much more psychologically challenging. That said, on the whole I think the total drops for 3k LK runs is pretty great compared to what one can reasonably expect to drop from what we know about rune frequency there.

Full running list of rune drops Pul and above:
Code:
Rolling map - Ber
173 - Um
203 - Mal
207 - Mal
423 - Pul
561 - Pul (poppable)
586 - Um
862 - Mal
928 - Mal
976 - Um
1056 - Mal
1124 - Sur
1143 - Sur
1268 - Sur
1530 - Pul
1617 - Mal
1713 - Pul
1723 - Pul
2055 - Mal
2477 - Ist
2506 - Pul

It's interesting to me that there are 11 patterns that Sur will drop from on /p7-8. According to Gripphon's guide, Gul will drop from 13 patterns on /p7-8, and another source said from 11 patterns. You got 3 Surs and no Guls. I've run it at /p8 a lot recently and gotten 2 Surs and no Guls. I really need a Gul. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, nice update, and good luck!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High