The Barbarian Horde MP Group

Ah, only hell? Can't get a barb that old before next weekend, but glhf everyone :)

9/10 Oct is the earliest I can do. AFter that is OK too, there is no rush for me.

Any idea what the best Merc setup is for Lawbringer?
Lawbringer (What base?) + Arreat's + Fortitude?

Not sure I have ever used a Barb Merc outside of 1.07
I matted a barb themed assassin not long ago. Here is a snippet from that thread:

Act 5 Barbarian (theme!)
wep: Oath in 1.07 eth Balrog Blade
arm: Treachery in Scarab Husk (maybe I should make an ebugged one...)
helm: eth Andy with ias/res jewel

However, at the time, I didn't know that 1-hander damage is doubled. That merc was not very useful, so this is a lesson in what not to do.

So are we fixed for 9/10 (next weekend?)

@snickersnack @skiffcz interested? Or anyone else?
I am!

Code:
Name              Char              Build              Area/lvl               Aura/Curse.                  Merc Weapon
__________        __________        ___________        _______________        ___________                  ___________
D2DC              Beutegreifer      Frenzy             A1 N (1)               Fana (lvl 9), CtC Static     ?
maxicek           Messremb          Bearbarian         A5 N (42)              None, just Tankiness         Lawbringer?
ffs               BuffMachine       WC/Throw/support   A1 N (1)               Might (34), Amp, WCs         Death or Destruction?
Vildecor          Valborg           Berserk            A1 N (1)               Holy Freeze                  Crescent Moon
d2lover           Chef              DaggerFrenzy       A1 N (1)               None                         Headstriker?
PhineasB          ???               Wolfbarb           A1 N                   ??                           Grief/Oath/Death?
snickersnack      Freddie           Singer                -                   ??                           ???

I'm currently leveling a PSer, but I can put that on hold for a bit. I do have a barbarian parked, but he's already completed act 1.

I'm thinking either a pure crier or a frenzier with dual Crescent Moon for AOE Static.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the +DAM on Grief does not get doubled for the act 5 merc. I'll probably put a Death CB on the merc.

Edit: Ooooooh, I could use my sick barb caster ammy to hit a good BP with Warcry. Welp, that's it then, I think. Now, to find a fun name. Buble? Nope, it's Freddie.

More edit: this means that I'll wield Insight on switch, so mana shouldn't be a problem for the group, for the most part. I think that with Mana Leech mobs, and I can stand by and just be the mana dude.

Further edit: Can I use an act 2 merc for levelling purposes? Of course, I'll switch to a barb for the MP.

Last edited:
Tried a handful of Naga 1.07 crafts, but anything better had a higher lvl req.. Still can't beat a plain old 'Honor' Naga, but whatcha gonna do? 🤷‍♂️
Screenshot155.jpg
He also managed to find one of the best lvl 6 rings I've ever seen!
Maybe that 2 energy could have been STR, but I'm not complaining!
Screenshot153.jpg
Code:
Name              Char              Build              Area/lvl               Aura/Curse.                  Merc Weapon
__________        __________        ___________        _______________        ___________                  ___________
D2DC              Beutegreifer      Frenzy             Plain of Zama (25)     Fana (lvl 9), CtC Static     Oath?
maxicek           Messremb          Bearbarian         A5 N (42)              None, just Tankiness         Lawbringer?
ffs               BuffMachine       WC/Throw/support   A1 N (1)               Might (34), Amp, WCs         Death or Destruction?
Vildecor          Valborg           Berserk            A1 N (1)               Holy Freeze                  Crescent Moon
d2lover           Chef              DaggerFrenzy       A1 N (1)               None                         Headstriker?
PhineasB          ???               Wolfbarb           A1 N                   ??                           Grief/Oath/Death?
snickersnack      Freddie           Singer                -                   ??                           ???

Almost ready:
Screenshot012.jpg
I went with my standard Double Swing -> Frenzy approach:
- double Death set
- socketed Death set with damage jewels at lvl 18
- Dual Bloodletter at lvl 31
- Dual eth Ginther's with damage jewels at lvl 37
- runewords in Elite bases, ending with dual eDeath (Colossus Sword and War Spike)

With Fortitude, it packs quite a punch in late NM. Here's what LCS said as he prepared to tackle Baal at lvl 70:
Screenshot011.jpg
He was past lvl 72 at Champion, and was just shy at lvl 73 when he circled back to finish off Nihl, with a single Pindle run getting him to lvl 73. Four Baal runs later, we're sitting about a quarter into lvl 76. I'll probably do the 3-4 Baal runs needed to hit lvl 77 before shifting to the Cave for two more levels to lvl 79 and Wolfhowl, likely picking up a Barb merc before going into Hell.

He had three notable drops while questing, a Torch of Iro in A2 NM, an Um when tackling Nihl, and then a Lightning skiller during Baal runs
Screenshot006.jpg
Screenshot013.jpg
Screenshot014.jpg
I still need to figure out final gear and will probably do a couple extra runs once he can equip the helm and respec to get used to gameplay. For the merc, I was thinking about HoJ, but the hit-blinds will override procs for amp or decrep that others may cause. So I will give thought to see if I can come up with something else fun.

Edit: 4 more Baal runs got him to just shy of 78, and it took only two trips to the Cave to hit 79. After some fiddling, I'm planning to go Death and Dragon armor for the merc. Fortitude makes him much beefier with leeching, but I think the level 34 Might from group play will help, and the Holy Fire and Hydras and Glacial Spikes are fun to have. With two HotOs on switch, Mara's, BC, and a 3/5/6/6 Wolfhowl, the Werewolf lasts 360 seconds, which is definitely doable. Solo at p8, things are a bit sloggy, especially when a cursed boss is around. But I think it will work out well for the group playthrough.

Code:
D2DC              Beutegreifer      Frenzy             Plain of Zama (25)     Fana (lvl 9), CtC Static     Oath?
PhineasB          Romulus           Wolfbarb           A1 H (79)              Holy Fire (+ Hydras and GSs) Death

Last edited:
Code:
maxicek           Messremb          Bearbarian         A1 H (84)              None, just Tankiness         Lawbringer?
PhineasB          Romulus           Wolfbarb           A1 H (79)              Holy Fire (+ Hydras and GSs) Death

Levelling done, respecced into a bear.
Messed up some point allocations and respecced again.

Messremb LCS.jpg

Life is a bit underwhelming, but that Tomb Reaver takes a lot of stat points.
I need to enchant for the AR, it is about 5K without.

How is the levelling going for everyone else?

Any idea how much BO everyone will have ?
My BO is not that pungent (lvl 23) but I maxxed Shout too.

Nice!

Still at lvl 1 here. D2R is a distraction to say the least :) plus work is rather busy again.. but should be ready in time.

I'll have BO at roughly 32-35 or so, depending on exact item choices and inventory space. If someone else is carrying more + skill gear (@snickersnack with his Singer possibly?) let me know and I might just go without skillers altogether.

I actually only have ONE warcry skiller, which is kind of odd. So, If I go dual HotO, I'll have about 37 BO. If I go with HotO/wizzy, I'll have 34. If someone wants to loan me some skillers, we can take the Barbarian Horde's BO to the next level! We'll breathe deeply through our iron nostrils, we'll see our enemies driven before us and hear the lamentations of their women!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vildecor and D2DC
How is the levelling going for everyone else?
Plugging along in between 1.07 rushes. Lvl 51 in A2 NM. I'll be ready in time.
Any idea how much BO everyone will have ?
I will probably have ZERO BO. So, kinda counting on the group to come thru! XD

@snickersnack I have some nice Sounding skillers, 1 Vita, 2 with FHR and enough “of Life” and other secondary mods to fill the rest of the backpack. Happy to send them your way for the playthrough if helpful.

Reactions: d2lover
Code:
maxicek           Messremb          Bearbarian         A1 H (84)              None, just Tankiness         Lawbringer?
snickersnack      Freddie           Singer             A1 NM (41)             Maxed Shouts                 LB? CM? Oath? Death?

@D2DC is going to loan me some skillers, so we're looking at ~45 for BO. Also, if I go without Insight on switch, I could dual wield CtA and get ~50 BO. o_O

@PhineasB Thanks, but I think @D2DC has me covered.

Code:
Vildecor          Valborg           Berserk            A3 NM (56)             Holy Freeze                  Crescent Moon
snickersnack      Freddie           Singer             A1 NM (41)             Maxed Shouts                 LB? CM? Oath? Death?

Plugging along at a nice clip. Will be done very soon.

Also, important announcement, everybody don't forget to load up on TP tomes. @maxicek told me this time he plans to do no walking at all outside town and travel exclusively via TPs.

Code:
Vildecor          Valborg           Berserk            A3 NM (56)             Holy Freeze                  Crescent Moon
snickersnack      Freddie           Singer             A1 H (80)              BC, BO, Shout, Meditation    LB, w/ alts in stash

I'm just about ready. I levelled using a frenzy build (dual Grief BA atm), so I still need to respec. I'm not sure if I should finish levelling up to 80 (arach's) with frenzy, or if I should respec now and finish levelling with War Cry. The latter will probably take a bit longer, but I'll have the pattern down better.

Edit: Table is updated. All ready. I still have some stat points to distribute, but I'll see if I need more life or more mana. Level 44 BO.

I'm going with Arreat's Face instead of Shako for the res and fhr, but I'm not sure what to put in the socket. I have 50 fhr, and I'm not sure that the next bp would help much. I could get to 90 fhr, but then my resists when holding Insight would suffer a bit. Maybe just a perfect sapphire would be good. That would give about 100 mana after BO. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Ready as well.

Screenshot047.jpg

It was nice being able to stop leveling at 70 for a change!

I went with Enigma for positioning. Also won't be dealing meaningful damage so I'll have to stick to others in any case. :) Figured I'd just go with Lawbringer Merc in the end, so that coupled with teleport I can provide Decrepify when and where it's needed while not losing Might uptime. I'm not sure yet whether I'll keep Lacerators on switch (for PIs that aren't broken by Decrepify) or go dual Hoto for higher war cry levels. I'll just bring everything and we'll see how it goes.

Code:
ffs               BuffMachine       WC/Throw/support   A1 H (70)              Might (34), Amp, WCs         Lawbringer
snickersnack      Freddie           Singer             A1 H (80)              BC, BO, Shout, Meditation    LB, w/ alts in stash

@ffs That's more-or-less my strategy as well. I'm going with dual HotO with Insight on switch. I'll mainly use HotO switch for buffing the group and then Insight most of the time. My hope is that we'll brush off mana burn packs. Even on Insight switch, my War Cry, being partly synergized, packs about 1100 damage per cast, so there's decent AoE damage. I plan on being in the center of every fight.

With lvl 34 Might I'm guessing you're dual wielding Last Wish. o_O Maybe that'll be in my reach if I keep doing trav/lk/cs runs consistently for another year. I still don't have Infinity, but Last Wish is high on my list (I very much want a LW kicker.).

For merc weapons, should we have more than 1 Crescent Moon? I think more than 1 Lawbringer is probably wise. Right now, I have Lawbringer in the merc's grubby mitt, but I have Oath and Death in the stash for moar damage. My only CM is in a Phase Blade, which my merc can't wield yet.

With lvl 34 Might I'm guessing you're dual wielding Last Wish. o_O Maybe that'll be in my reach if I keep doing trav/lk/cs runs consistently for another year. I still don't have Infinity, but Last Wish is high on my list (I very much want a LW kicker.).
I made only one of them for the RW grail and some occasional fun build use:
Code:
Last Wish
Superior Phase Blade
JahMalJahSurJahBer
One Hand Damage: 151 - 171
Indestructible
Required Level: 65
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Fingerprint: 0xbca7fea5
Item Level: 84
Version: Expansion 1.10+
6% Chance to cast level 11 Fade when struck
10% Chance to cast level 18 Life Tap on striking
20% Chance to cast level 20 Charged Bolt on attack
Level 17 Might Aura When Equipped
390% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
+1 to Attack Rating
66% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
Hit Blinds Target +1
35% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level) 6 Sockets (6 used)
Socketed: Jah Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Sur Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune

For this specific build, @PhineasB loaned me his LW:

Code:
Last Wish
Superior Phase Blade
JahMalJahSurJahBer
One Hand Damage: 143 - 162
Indestructible
Required Level: 65
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Fingerprint: 0x7590a639
Item Level: 88
Version: Expansion 1.10+
6% Chance to cast level 11 Fade when struck
10% Chance to cast level 18 Life Tap on striking
20% Chance to cast level 20 Charged Bolt on attack
Level 17 Might Aura When Equipped
364% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
70% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
Hit Blinds Target +1
35% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level) 6 Sockets (6 used)
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Sur Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune
So yes dual wielding Last Wish, but really don't bother with it, definitely not worth the runes unless you have at least one (probably even several) of Enigma and Infinity. I'd say I'm relatively wealthy for nowadays standards, but something like dual LW is still very far down my to do list, there are so many things that make more sense. :D Both of these are nicely rolled though, mine got perfect ED in a 15 ED base, and @PhineasB's has perfect CB.

I don't know how much ED his base had. @PhineasB I'll just Hel it out to check, OK? :D

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High