Terror zones and the Quest for 99

I've been thinking about the Bone Breaker Sunder Charm. Currently, I'm using and Act 2 merc with a Reaper's Toll, primarily to break PIs. I fully realize that Depcrepify does much more than break most PIs, but I was thinking about using the Bone Breaker and switching to a Rogue with a Faith bow. I won't get an increase in attack speed (already at 5fps) and I really don't need another boost in AR (already at 77% chance to hit Baal). Any thoughts on whether the 144% increase in damage is going to be an improvement on Decrepify?
Why not using the Decrepify on top of the Sundered Charm? I mean, applying - enemy resistance is needed for the sundering to be useful. I don't think you want to fight packs of 95% physical resistant /p8 terrorized frenzytaurs on your way to 99.

Last edited:
Still no Sunder charms. Thought I had one last night, but it was a Gheeds and a poor on at that (20%MF). Been mostly running my wolfbarb who has almost no MF currently. Will have to make a few adjustments.

While running the AT TZ last night I actually had to take 3 purple pots while taking down a triple boss pack with one boss having conviction. My life bulb almost never gets down to half so it was a little startling. So, when multiple boss packs converge the TZs could need a plan other than simply charging into their midst!

I haven't seen any comments about TZ in normal or nightmare while questing.

I've been thinking about the Bone Breaker Sunder Charm. Currently, I'm using and Act 2 merc with a Reaper's Toll, primarily to break PIs. I fully realize that Depcrepify does much more than break most PIs, but I was thinking about using the Bone Breaker and switching to a Rogue with a Faith bow. I won't get an increase in attack speed (already at 5fps) and I really don't need another boost in AR (already at 77% chance to hit Baal). Any thoughts on whether the 144% increase in damage is going to be an improvement on Decrepify?
One of the requirements to initiate terror zones is to kill Baal in hell difficulty and I'm guessing that it's he'll only? I actually don't know for sure ....

And yeah, certain conditions are scary. Almost died a few times to packs of scary mods.

One of the requirements to initiate terror zones is to kill Baal in hell difficulty and I'm guessing that it's he'll only? I actually don't know for sure ....

And yeah, certain conditions are scary. Almost died a few times to packs of scary mods.
Nope. Killing Baal in any difficulty opens up TZ for that difficulty. Works like cows.

Makes sense then.

At this point I don't venture to norm or nm unless it's questing or to change maps or I accidentally click nm lol

Probably because I don't like Act 2 mercs. He's slow, frequently attacks another monster too far away. I went all through Nightmare and Hell with an Act 5 merc wielding Lawbringer and liked him. However, in D2R the barb merc's casting of Battle Cry overwrites the decrepify and he ended up slowing me down.

But your comment makes me think, why not switch back to an Act 5 Fenzy merc wielding Lawbringer and another sword. Now what to put in that other hand? I have a second grief with low damage and IAS also a Cresent Moon. I could make an Unbending Will phase blade, Oath in an Eth Cryptic sword, or Kingslayer.

Reactions: little birdy
Act 5 frenzy Merc with grief and lawbringer off hand. Works great because the sanctuary aura pulsing stun locks the monsters freeing your Merc to rampage and decrep goes off all the time

Pretty safe as far as terror zones go. Try it out

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
I rather like the full Sazabi’s set (plus extra sword of choice depending on needs) on an Act V Frenzy merc.

These days I avoid the A2 merc at all costs. They wander off too much and aren’t very helpful IMO. The addition of bows for ‘Insight’ has been one of my favorite new things in D2R 🤩

I haven’t tried playing TZs in Normal or NM yet but I am keen to check them out whenever I start questing a new character. Could be a great source of catch-up EXP on /p8 when finishing Normal or NM a bit under-leveled.

Yeah, got that as my first ever terrorized level tonight. Confused me a lot, but then I connected the dots since Rogue Encampent WP was the purple one.

No sunder charms there, but next I got start of act 2, which gave four different sunder charms. Missing magic and physical.

Countering the -res from the charms may lead to using some lesser used items, which I like. Getting the broken immunities down to an acceptable level will lead to even more underused items being used.

So far, I love it. I don't mind that killing Baal is the requirement either, because I only saved him so I could save ancients to level up the slow way.... and if I want to do that again, well... I wouldn't use terror zones anyway, because it would ruin the premise for the achievement.

well, I was wondering if you could get more than one drop per run ... didn't read anywhere that you couldn't ... sooooo ... just now, river of flame terrorized .
Screenshot070.png

I thought maybe it was one gheeds and a sunder but nope:

Screenshot071.png

A cold and poison one. Lol, not bad I guess.

Hah! I think I've gotten 2 in one run but not in one screenshot!

I recorded a bit on the dual "Mosaic" Assassin in the Halls tonight at /p8 just because the visuals are so cool. I am playing clumsily as this is my son's control setup and not what I'm used to, but she seems a nice fit for TZ leveling as she's pretty viable in most areas and levels quickly because of the AoE on her attack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivious
Well tonight was a good night. Found my first Sunder charm (cold)

Better than that I found a nice casting ring and M'avina Diadem which was a grailer for me.

I ran the Nihlathak TZ six times and found all six easier than my usual Nihlathak runs. I can't do six runs without having Hell Mistress and/or Night Maurader PIs at least twice. The only PIs I had were ghosts and the quantity was much lower than usual. I also usually have at least 1 of 6 runs with at least one pack of Frenzytaurs on the way down from Pindle and all I saw tonight was a few single or doubles and no bosses.

1676779347482.png

Oh and I reached level 95.8!

Reactions: PhineasB
Ok, this will be the last time I post a double Sunder screenie. Just got back from my kid's hockey game, fired up d2r and first terrorized run of Tristam netted me a double drop.

Screenshot072.png
A almost perfect cold 71% and a bad lightning 86%.

I think that the availability of sunder charms as a side effect of running terror xp runs is high. The focus is now getting the best sunder that have the least neg effects on you.

I'll shift focus on making builds and running ubers for the best torches and trying to get SoJs for the best annis.

I'm thinking of the dual Mosaic Assy builds myself.

I think that the availability of sunder charms as a side effect of running terror xp runs is high. The focus is now getting the best sunder that have the least neg effects on you.
Yeah, getting sundered charms while leveling in TZ is a trivial task. I'm throwing bad rolls to the ground already. Still missing magic sundered charm, though.

Yeah, getting sundered charms while leveling in TZ is a trivial task. I'm throwing bad rolls to the ground already. Still missing magic sundered charm, though.
Interesting--I've also got multiples of many but no magic sundered charm.

Thanks to terror zones, I got my favorite character, my Bowazon to level 95! I had been running chaos sanc doing seal runs on /p8 which was going fairly fast for me but it's nothing compared to Terror Zones.

I think maybe at 94 they were about equal in terms of speed? But with terror zones I really am enjoying playing all the different areas, learning my map layouts, where boss packs are, which zones I enjoy, and things like that, so I'm playing way more.

Screenshot268.png

Thanks to terror zones, I got my favorite character, my Bowazon to level 95! I had been running chaos sanc doing seal runs on /p8 which was going fairly fast for me but it's nothing compared to Terror Zones.

I think maybe at 94 they were about equal in terms of speed? But with terror zones I really am enjoying playing all the different areas, learning my map layouts, where boss packs are, which zones I enjoy, and things like that, so I'm playing way more.

View attachment 85760
Have you noticed any improvements with your Bowazon due to the Strafe bug fix in patch 2.6?

I’m sure I have said many times now that my fav character is my Fire Ball Sorc, but after giving her a break for a bit to quest other characters, including two Bowazons, I’m not so sure which is my fav anymore. Those Bowazons are so fun 🤩

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High