D2 TCP/IP removed from game

Strider

May 26, 2020
Just read that Blizz has removed TCP/IP from the game. I know the servers have been online forever but Activision is in the frame now and I don't trust them to keep servers up.

TCP/IP support will not be available in the upcoming Beta or the final game. After careful deliberation, we will no longer be supporting this option as we identified potential security risks and are committed to safeguarding the player experience.

• Sad
Reactions: Elly and maxicek
I just found out about this myself. Don't know that I'd have used it, personally, but I do remember those D2 LAN parties way back and can certainly sympathize with anyone who was looking forward to doing something like that with D2R.

And yeah, with Activision Blizzard having gone full blown evil corporation on us, it does raise some concerns as far as what else they might not be telling us or what might change later on.

Well that is depressing. Single Player PvP RIP.

This makes D2R much less attractive for me. We have done several MP groups this year, it is a big shame we won’t be able to continue these in D2R.

Awful news. :(

My friends and I enjoy Single-Player for the easy muling (GoMule) and we'd use TCP/IP to get together and play. We were all looking forward to this remaster; now, not so much.

Reactions: maxicek
Some of my fondest D2 memories are weekend Baal runs with Thyiad and crew via TCP/IP.... This is a bummer.

Reactions: maxicek
It was announced in the FAQ section.

Well, "announced" might not be the correct word since they basically just quietly slipped it into the near bottom of the FAQ hoping people wouldn't notice. Especially given the fact that before now they were advertising it as a feature that definetly would without question absolutely be in the game.

There's also been several news articles on it. The one at IGN pointed this out:

"Reddit users over on /r/pcgaming were quick to criticize the decision, noting it would have negative implications for the speedrunning community, and would make it impossible to play online with the remastered graphics and features while using smaller mods that don’t have dedicated servers. Most prominently, the decision has been criticized as a move to ensure Blizzard can protect its revenue stream and force players to use Battle.net. The removal of TCP/IP support could also have implications for the future of multiplayer functionality on the remaster if Blizzard ever shuttered the service without implementing a solution."

I was thinking last night, that maybe, just maybe, there will still be a way to MP with SP! Maybe we'll have to use Blizzard Servers instead of TCP/IP.

Kind of missing the point there coju. People were looking forward to TCP/IP support specifically so they wouldn't have to use Blizzard's servers. That way they could do things that you simply can't or aren't allowed to when on an official server, like running certain mods. Or, you know, play with your friends when the official servers are down for whatever reason.

Reactions: Ghonn
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High