TC3 Hunting Tournament Winter 2022 - Sign-Up and Running Thread

art_vandelay

Guide Author
Mar 13, 2019
Welcome to the third installment of the TC3 Hunting Tournament! In this thread you can sign-up and discuss strategies with the other participants. This time around there is more than two weeks of time to complete your set and I hope this motivates more people to join in.

What follows is mostly due to @T72on1 who hosted the previous two installments with some slight tweaks.

What is the TC3 Hunting Tournament?

The TC3 Hunting Tournament is a contest where we try to farm as many different TC3 items as possible during a 6 week period, within a maximum amount of time for each character. Score will solely depend on the number of different TC3 items found. For a list of all TC3 items see below. All items can be dropped by Normal Andariel (a lot of them even from lower targets), except for the 4 items with a qlvl of >16. If you are seeking for advice to increase your efficiency at tracking down those TC3s, check out the TC3 hunting FAQ draft. Or you could have a look at the previous TC3 Hunting Tournaments and their result threads, all of which contain great information. You can find them here:

When does the TC3 Hunting Tournament take place?

It starts next Friday January 28 at 00:01 am and ends on Sunday March 13 at 11:59 pm. Both local time. This means you have six weeks to complete a set.

Rules and info
  1. Areas allowed are: all areas up to Normal Halls of the Dead level 3; this includes the Sewers level 1 - 3 and Dry Hills.
  2. Only version 1.13+ of the game and D2R.
  3. HC or SC.
  4. Untwinked; muling items from the character to an external stash (GoMule or Atma) is allowed though.
  5. MP game to reset a map is allowed.
  6. Player setting is free; no increasing the /p setting just for chests or other poppables though (I doubt anyone would do this).
  7. Max amount spent with one character is 15 hours; you can however enter the contest with multiple characters.
  8. No prizes, hence no trading profile required, you have to be FAM though.
  9. Every different (e.g. not already found) TC3 item grants you 1 point; readouts of all items can be posted here after the event; tiebreaker is the number of total TC3s found.
  10. Gambling is allowed. TC3 items found while gambling, follow the same rules as TC3 items that drop
  11. Reset at Akara is allowed.

Scoring

As has already been stated, every different TC3 item grants 1 point. These are all TC3 uniques available:
and the TC3 sets are:

Tancred's Hobnails, Sander's Paragon and Vidala's Ambush can't drop in the selected areas and must be gambled for. Blinkbat's Form can only drop from certain superuniques in act 2, as well as most bosses / champs there. Bane Ash can also drop this item. Altogether there are 23 different TC3 items and the current all time best for a TC3 hunting set is 20, set by @Nano, who also won both previous iterations of this tournament.

Results

When you are finished running please send your results to me, including the number of distinct TC3 items you have found as well as the overall number of TC3 items you got. (It pays to have a GoMule stash dedicated just to those TC3 items, so you can easily get that number without counting)

I will try to get a results thread up as soon as possible, where you can post readouts of your finds or show off with a stylish haul pic, just like you would in the RFL or the MFO.

Please don't post any info on how many TC3s you have found before the tournament is over, as that would ruin a lot of the fun.

Participants

Signup is open until the end of the tournament, so you can join in at any time. Once people join I will update this part with a list of participants.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: Vang
Nice. looking forward to it.

-------------------------
art_vandelay
lizard

Reactions: art_vandelay
Bane Ash - I'm coming for you!

art_vandelay
lizard
Friiser

art_vandelay
lizard
Friiser
Lou B

I attached a file of a document that I copied back in 2005 where Thugg supplied a lot of info in finding TC3s. Blinkbat's can drop from Bone Ash and you can get a chance for the Cow King to drop all of the last 4.

Here is the meat of Thugg's info:

So to find a given TC3, you need to kill a monster with high enough mlvl but as low a max TC as possible. The prime candidates are Act 1 normal Superuniques, as they drop 2 items and have a good bonus to item quality. This is a list of them, with their max TC first, and their mlvl:

Corpsefire 3 4
Bishibosh 3 5
Coldcrow 3 7
Blood Raven 6 10
Bonebreaker 3 5
Rakanishu 6 8
Treehead Woodfist 6 8
Griswold 12(6) 8
The Countess 12 11
The Smith 12(6) 13
Pitspawn Fouldog 6 14
Bone Ash 12 17
Andariel 15 12
The Cow King 12(6) 31

Attachments

• TC 3 Hunting.docx
    16.3 KB · Views: 4
I just want to make sure I understand…we need to start a new character to run these targets? We can’t strip an existing high level character and use them to run? The rules just state the character has to be untwinked. Most item find tourneys you are optimizing existing characters, this seems like we are starting from scratch?

The way I understand it is we start a new level 1 character of our choosing, run that character equipping only things that character finds along the way, get to the cube (so one can cube up all those chipped topazes), and MF and gamble for TC3 items as fast / efficiently as you can until a total of 20 hours of game play is complete. Tally up your found/gambled TC3s and report the results.

If you want to enter again you can, but it is with a new, separate level 1 character, same process as above.

@Nona Yes, you need to start a new character. You are going to be running Act 1 Normal. Part of the reason for the tournament is to find the TC3 items for your grail, but a bigger part is to have fun. Picture a skellimancer with level 20 amp damage and 20 skeleton runing around 1 hit killing everything or a sorc casting level 20 blizzard. I'd probably roll around on the floor for the first 5 minutes, but I can't fathom doing that for 15 hours. Then again I can't run Pindle or LK for hours on end either.

art_vandelay
lizard
Friiser
Lou B
Nano
Swamigoon

I have a pally or Amazon I’d like to start untwinked any way

-----------------------
art_vandelay
lizard
Friiser
Lou B
Nano
Swamigoon
Nona

Is the muling time part of that 15 hrs?

-----------------------
art_vandelay
lizard
Friiser
Lou B
Nano
Swamigoon
Nona
m4ke

Is the muling time part of that 15 hrs?
That is a good question. I wanted to have it like in RFL where muling is off the clock. That being said I hope that nobody only times their ingame time and not the loading screens, as you can do with the new run counter.

Count me in!

Crixus (level 1 Barbarian) is already in the starting blocks!
Bild_2022-01-24_143251.png

-----------------------
art_vandelay
lizard
Friiser
Lou B
Nano
Swamigoon
Nona
m4ke
Grisu

This sounds like a fun tournament to intersperse with all of my LK running. Is running in classic allowed?

This sounds like a fun tournament to intersperse with all of my LK running. Is running in classic allowed?
I tend towards a "no", mostly because I have no clue whatsoever how MF in modern Classic works and whether it would be fair at all (both towards the LoD players and also the Classic player).

Reactions: AntiRush
I tend towards a "no", mostly because I have no clue whatsoever how MF in modern Classic works and whether it would be fair at all (both towards the LoD players and also the Classic player).
Makes sense. Sign me up, though! I'll probably try out the new martial arts assassin stuff.

-----------------------
art_vandelay
lizard
Friiser
Lou B
Nano
Swamigoon
Nona
m4ke
Grisu
AntiRush

I'm going to start a run after work this evening. What are your thoughts on using the 2.4 PTR patch? It's fine if not allowed - hopefully the real patch will come out in the next 6 weeks :cool: - it'll just inform what my first set will be.

My first character is the Paladin that I planned out, that way I get two for one. 1 hours at players 8 and he is level 8 has taken out 2 of the super uniques once and nothing yet. Have found a two socket armor but only 1 chipped topaz.

I'm playing 1.14 with this guy. I have no problem with AntiRush playing 2.4PTR. It might be interesting to do some comaparisons at the end between the different versions.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High