Starter Build Guides

Kill skellies with hammer, use redemption to clear corpses and then use holy bolt to slowly kill the mummies? Seems like the most viable way if you're untwinked.

Holy bolt lvl 20 with the synergy from blessed hammer should do over 4k damage per bolt. (remember the synergy is 50% per point in blessed hammer)

Holy bolt with one synergy deals around 2200 damage, which is still enough to deal with most individual undead effectively. How will said hammerdin afford to invest in holy bolt, though? Isn't every point required to synergize blessed hammer and enhance its damage with concentration?

Holy bolt with one synergy deals around 2200 damage, which is still enough to deal with most individual undead effectively. How will said hammerdin afford to invest in holy bolt, though? Isn't every point required to synergize blessed hammer and enhance its damage with concentration?
You have spare points when you are 99 - hammerdins go 99 in CS before Pat'ing, right?

No idea really, never made one and never will...interesting support skill though with several different synergies...

Another good trick for stuff you can't easily kill, by example:
You are in Durance lvl 3, you want to kill Mephisto without interference. Maffer, Bremm and/or Wyand have sick mods and just won't leave you alone. In this case open a TP next to Mephisto's spot and then drag the council members all the way to the Durance lvl 3 entrance. Go into Durance lvl 2 and take the waypoint back home. Then take your TP to Durance lvl 3 and kill Mephisto in peace.
This is doubly effective because not only will the council members not attack you while you fight Mephisto, they also won't be able to heal him.

Just had to do this in 1.00 because Maffer and Vyand were both cursed and super deadly.

Reactions: Zodiac and Vildecor
I used to do the same thing with Andariel, opening a TP, dragging her to the down stairs and then taking the Catacombs 2 WP back home to hop back through the portal to take care of the rest of the pesky shamans and such in the throne area that would otherwise interfere with fighting Andy. Of course, by the time you drag her to the stairs, you can pretty much take her on unmolested as well. Just depends on how much open space you desire for the fight.

Reactions: art_vandelay
What about tips for untwinked solo playthroughs, essentially always a new start?

For example where to sink the 3 socket quests.
Id save socket quest for things that are long term use. A shako for example;. A monarch is a lategame BIS, but, you can also use a socket recipe/get a 4s drop of a monarch. But if things get desperate/, and you have a streak of bad luck, you can always use a socket quest for it.

Still looking for a volunteer to write the sorc guide.

As all guides are essentially for a first playthrough (=untwinked) I expect specific tips and socketing to be included.

Reactions: Rush
@Vang
@PhineasB
@art_vandelay
@Swamigoon
@Drixx

You guys should all now have a bright yellow tag under you names and access to the Guide Author's sub forum. You can find that under the forums main page:

(Guides will be written in the main site section so special access is required)

Added by Rush: This will also be a place to discuss access and formatting etc. There are details in the new forum and Guide Authors now have forum tags.

Last edited by a moderator:
@maxicek ill take a crack at the sorc guide tomorrow if it’s still open.

@d2lover pretty easy to kill wave 2 on p1 with the single point in holy bolt. Hand no problem with it on my untwinked play through. He was one of the easiest of the sept.

Reactions: maxicek
SectionContent OutlineAuthor
General Introduction- Why D2 is different to other ARPGs (including D3)
- BNet vs Single Player
@Vang
The Character Screen- Stats
- Life
- Mana
- Resists
- Damage and Attack Rating
- Blocking / not blocking
- Defense
Extended Stats(Not shown currently but available in D2R)
- FHR / FCR etc
- Leech
- Crushing Blow / Deadly Strike / Open Wounds
- MF / GF
Skills- Why to save points
- Links to starter build guides
Quests & Playing the Game- What is important
- What can be skipped if required
- Dealing with Immunities
- Tips for completing quests
@Swamigoon
Mercenaries- Which ones to hire
- How to equip them
@Drixx
What to do after completing the game- Farming for items
- Next step builds
@Drixx
Other stuff not decided where to go yet- What to do if you get stuck
- Notes for console users

Linking to the starter build guides:

ClassBuildDifficultyAuthor
AmazonFishyzon / Gunslinger / ?Medium@PhineasB
@Drixx
AssassinTrapper, starting out fire and respect to FB / LightningMedium@maxicek
BarbarianWhirlwind / Hybrid / NF BerserkerHard@PhineasB
DruidElemental, start out Fire and respect to WindMedium@art_vandelay
NecromancerFishymancerEasy@PhineasB
@Drixx
PaladinZealot & respect to HammerdinMedium@Drixx
SorceressMeteorbEasy@Luhkoh

@maxicek important question for writing the guide. Sorry if it's already been said, but I don't see it. Should we assume that people will have access to ladder runewords? Spirit and insight make a huge different to many classes but especially sorc. I'm sure I could manage gear suggestions for both scenarios if necessary, but weapon recommendations are much less specific without spirit available.

All guide authors need to log in to the front page of the website - Just go to the front page and reply to a thread, like this one:

We will discuss specifics in the sub-forum. Would be helpful if you post something when you get there so we know who is in :)

I don't think we have a good PvM Blizzsorc guide and I think this will be a popular build for many starting in D2R. This is not so much aimed at completely new players, but maybe someone who has played in the part and is a bit rusty. It then builds to a full build guide as it can farm all the items reequired.

Any volunteers to write one?

What I am thinking of is:

Untwinked playthrough
  • How to deal with the CIs, especially tricky bits like the Claw Viper Temple
  • Without respecs
Equipment
  • What to aim for untwinked
  • Low / High budget setups for Rune Finding
  • Low / High budget setups for MF
Popular farming Targets
  • Hell Meph
  • Pindle
  • AT
  • Trav

@d2lover Thanks for that. If you take a look at the starter guides already there it will give you a good idea. I played through Normal first as I hadn't done it untwinked for a while and made notes as I went. I think that is good approach.

Just write it in a Google Doc or Word for now, let me know when you have a draft.

Looks like @Drixx hasn't been around for a while - Does anyone feel like doing the Paladin?

Reactions: Rush
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High