So, Uh, Who Still Plays D2?

maareek

May 12, 2007
I mean, I haven't for quite some time and only think about it when I get a comment on one of my old videos, but surely there's some cool things that have been going on.

What have I missed? Who has crushed all Grip's MF records? How many naked HC characters are in the works? What are the really sweet D2 goings on that someone who hasn't been keeping up needs to know about?

All the Diablo 4 hype pulled me back in after a very long absence. Recently matted a Blizzballer. Didn't bother to pull my ATMA stashes out of the mothballs for the occasion. Then my friends noticed what I was up to (thanks, Discord) and wanted to play too. I finally shook the dust off my stashes to help gear them up to kill things while I play the world's laziest Zealot.

What have I missed? ...

We unraveled the secret of 1.07 craft item levels. We can now craft ilvl 99 output items. Not with ease, but we can do it reliably.

I still play several hours per day. I've tried OVG, but I feel like I'm too old/not motivated to learn new games, so I just stick with D2. Also, the fact that it's a game you can play for 5 mins at a time, or for hours on end works much better while having a family.

Not as much as I did, but still playing regularly. Well lots at the moment because of RFL.

Not as much as in the past, but I keep coming back to it when other ARPGs just don't have that x-factor.

I played through Diablo 1 last week and am now about to go through Diablo 2.

There was quite a bit that annoyed me about Diablo 1 at first (this time round) mainly because I've become spoiled. No running. What?! No Stash. How will I cope?!?!

But after a while I got used to it and it was still so damn playable. The much less frequent drops, lack of cash all made me have to play a lot more cautiously and most of my deaths were because I charged into situations or punched above my weight.

I still got a buzz on the last level waiting for Diablo after pulling the levers, still panicked and ran the wrong way, forgetting how bloody fast he is and his fiery attack.

Reactions: Grisu
I still play Diablo 2 off and on - not as much as I used to due to family (and MTG Arena). I feel the same as @D2DC: I don't care as much anymore to learn all the mechanics of a new game, so I stick with my old ones.

Mostly playing single pass untwinked HC tournaments nowadays, but also some high level MFing for a break and some 1.07 if I feel really bored by 1.14.

mainly because I've become spoiled. No running. What?! No Stash. How will I cope?!?!

I guess I'm a little younger than the OG SPFers but I feel that way about D3 -> D2 with regards to gold pickup, gold pickup radius, auto-pickup, inventory management QoL and such :) I love the graphics and combat mechanics of D3 but power-creep is not a fun endgame. Whenever I revisit D2 and mentally get over the lack of modern ARPG QoL, I am instantly reminded that D2 is far superior.

Reactions: Grisu
I still play d2! But I started super super late compared to most of you ^^ (may 2018). I do not think I will be restarting. I care a lot about my goals and projects that are sort of midway through atm. Good to see you @maareek ! I'm always reading old posts on the other forum, so its fun to see some faces that haven't been around since I joined.

Old time player here, but never seriously before last year. Went deep into it since the end of last summer. I'm having a ton of fun right now, with the tournaments and all. I guess it helps that I have everything to do, because it still feel fresh to me.

Still going strong. Almost twenty more or less active years behind me and hopefully at least as many in front of me. Only joined SPF in 2018, but I should have done much, much earlier.

*waves hand* me, me!

It hits many of the things I love about gaming.

Variety, action, fun, depth. Things many modern games just don't. Also it wasn't dumbed down to play on a console like most modern games as well.

I will admit part of it though is not having time to learn/get engrossed in newer games so I simply stay engrossed in this one :)

Hey cool, I recognize almost all of these people but there's still some newer folks as well. That's great to see.

I still play d2! But I started super super late compared to most of you ^^ (may 2018). I do not think I will be restarting. I care a lot about my goals and projects that are sort of midway through atm. Good to see you @maareek ! I'm always reading old posts on the other forum, so its fun to see some faces that haven't been around since I joined.
I chuckled at the opening bit, because I felt like I was super young in D2 when I joined the SPF in...2007? Also, restarts suck so you have my support on avoiding that! It's great to see people enjoying D2, it did good things for me, as did this forum (well, you know what I mean) so I'm glad to see both continuing on with people.

I still got a buzz on the last level waiting for Diablo after pulling the levers, still panicked and ran the wrong way, forgetting how bloody fast he is and his fiery attack.
Probably has something to do with my being around 12 when I first played Diablo, without any real exposure to horror style media before, but the whole game freaked me out. But despite all the other stuff, the epicness of the Diablo battle is what still sticks with me. They did so much right in that game, as you say you can even forgive the walking. Sorta. Mostly.

Old time player here, but never seriously before last year. Went deep into it since the end of last summer. I'm having a ton of fun right now, with the tournaments and all. I guess it helps that I have everything to do, because it still feel fresh to me.
Enjoy! As a long burned out D2 player, I can tell you that the thrill of having things to push for is awesome, so enjoy it while you have it.

As for several people's points about newer games: I can definitely feel that. At this point, what I've played most recently is Master of Orion 2. And you thought D2 was old. Awesome that people are still here having fun with the game and sharing that with each other, and I wish you all the best of luck with your current endeavors!

Reactions: Arctodus
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High