Smiter good pvm?

Honored

Jul 9, 2006
Smiter good pvm?

I just got to nightmare with my smiter and it takes forever to kill things. Am I going to be able to have a good kill rate in nightmare and in hell with a smiter?

it all depends on your equipment.

the only reason i have smite is for bosses period.

it pretty much gaks against everything else. that is what zeal is for.

in order for smite to be effective you need lots of damage and other mods.

that is why most smiters use grief or lw or something equivilant.

if either of these does not work kingslayer, or even black can be used.

thats why with smiters people are always looking for.

ed, cb, ow, and other % chance triggers.

if you are having a hard time now not sure what you are going to do.

if you are a pure smiter, then you should have smite, fan, holy shield max.

by nm smite should be maxed period.

also it depends on what shield you have. different shields have different smite values.

snarfed by above poster. you need zeal as well.

As said above pure smiter will take you for ever to kill big crowds of monsters.
Zeal/smiter hybrid is probably the best for PvM.

If you have decent gear, then all you have to do is put a point into zeal and have fun wacking monsters with grief, but no, you wont be able to PVM effectively with a smiter.

i think this is all opinion, because my smiter (20 pts smite, no zeal) does perfect in pvm, just running around. gear-

84res Um'd Kiras
Highlords
Um'd Guardian Angel
Shael-Ber Heavens Light
43res Eth Exile Sacred Targe
Thundergods
Dwarf Star
Ravenfrost
Draculs
Goblin Toes
Pally Torch
Anni
Res charms
Life charms

he has only about 2.4k life with bo on, but 75% block, 22k defense and 2.2k smite. yes it takes a while as its a one-on-one attack, but it is fun, and different.

I think what you need to do is just find some good gear. There's actually quite a bit of lower level stuff that will significantly raise your damage. You probably should focus on just regular damage before CB or other things.

Things to look for:
Scepters (look for ones with added damage, not ED%, there's a lot of them)
Elite Pally Shields-Try to get your hands on one as soon as possible, they have the best added smite damage, Harald of Zakarum is probably the best option if you Up it.
Keep in mind your swing speed is that of your weapon, so if you can't find a good added damage weapon, go for something really fast like a phase blade, stick some Ith's or Sol's in it.

Hope that helps.

The added damage from Iths and Sols will not transfer to smite. only "adds x dmg" functions, not +to min dmg, + to max damage, or +x-y dmg. Examples: Grief, Redeemer, Iron Ward. What won't work: any of the damage from Honor runeword or anything like it, any damage from War Travellers or anything like it.

I agree with bobo.

Don't assume that Smite is a garbage PvM skill, you can definitely kill stuff with it. It's just not as fast at killing as Zeal is.

[exile];5073198 said:
I agree with bobo.

Don't assume that Smite is a garbage PvM skill, you can definitely kill stuff with it. It's just not as fast at killing as Zeal is.

Anything can "kill stuff."

So obviously it comes down to speed and crowd control, which smite definately is not capable of.

Ubers yes, otherwise no.

Anything can "kill stuff."

So obviously it comes down to speed and crowd control, which smite definately is not capable of.

Ubers yes, otherwise no.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's actually not all that difficult to deliver a 7k attack average @ 6 fps which isn't quite as much as an uber zealot, but the attacks always! hit within range. As far as crowd control, smite is one of the best. You stun everybody and knock them back, so all the melee enemies are cake. And the defensive capabilities are great because you have a high HS.

Clervis said:
You don't know what you're talking about. It's actually not all that difficult to deliver a 7k attack average @ 6 fps which isn't quite as much as an uber zealot, but the attacks always! hit within range. As far as crowd control, smite is one of the best. You stun everybody and knock them back, so all the melee enemies are cake. And the defensive capabilities are great because you have a high HS.

And then comes the Light Sorc/Hammerdin killing everything while you smite something while IM'd and die instantly. IMO, hammer is the only truly viable MF-din. Zeal can get good killing speed, but this is while sacrificing MF. Smite can be a effective Mephisto runner, but not Baal or Diablo because of IM/Lots of monsters. IMO:

Hammer - MF
Zeal - General fun and some MF (Important, this is a game after all..)
Smite - Ubers / Andy / Meph

To OP:
Start a new char (keep the smiter for ubers) or put points into zeal

what u need for fast killing of crowds is static field

u can get this on stormlash or runeword crescent moon

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High