Slam - Introduction

slam

Jan 12, 2021
Hello SPF,

My Diablo 2 journey began in my childhood. In early 2000, when the game was released the internet access in Poland was very expensive, so me and other kids from the neighborhood played only on single player. We spend entire days outside, playing football and other child games and talking about our Diablo 2 characters and our drops.

In 2020, I youtube recommended me a channel of one D2 streamers that is playing mostly on Single Player, trying to achieve the Holy Grail of finding every unique item in the game.
When the pandemic lockdown begun, there could not be a better trigger for me to begin to play. So I started a SC character, on modded setup recommended by one of those streamers. In the begging it was kind of cool, I even started my own Holy Grail project. Later on, I’ve read a reddit article talking about downsides of that setup. The article referred to a Single Player Forum on DiabloII.net. I moved to a clean Diablo 2 installation, without any mod and decided to play on HC, as I never completed the game on Single Player with a hardcore character.

This is how my VanillaSky Sorceress was created. I picked GoMule as my muling system. I completed the game as Hydra-Orb sorceress. Before I pushed Chaos Sanctuary and 5th act I did a lot of Mephisto runs to get some better gear.
After I killed Ball and became a Guardian, I started to collect unique and set items. I didn’t expect to complete the grail, I knew that I will die eventually. I wanted to rebuild to a Blizzard, as I really enjoyed it in the past and wanted to farm some AT, Mausoleums etc.

To do that, I needed to gather materials for the character reset tokens, at lest 5 so I could experiment a bit and keep one as a comeback to Hydra-Orb capable to do everything.
Unfortunately when I was doing Baal runs to collect the green essences a pack of Souls killed me in one lightning combo. :(
Well, I expected this to happen, you have to expect it when playing HC, right? :p

So now, I added the RWM to my setup and I’m planning to do another HC Hydra-Orb sorceress, this time with access to all runewords from Bnet.
I still have my mule files with my all unmodded drops. I didn’t decided if I want to use the stuff from vanilla on my RWM character. Playing untwinked character was cool, but having access to all those runes and items from my vanilla mules is pretty tempting.

Any advices? :>

Welcome to the SPF!

I have a similar background, only 15 years ago :) Switched to forum approved mods and HC only after a restart and never regretted it. The community is awesome and I am excited that there are still "newcomers" like you to spice up the SPF! It is noticable after all, that lots of the forumites from 2006 now have kids and other RL stuff that prevents them from investing as much time in D2 as 15 years ago. Still the most awesome community out there and I keep coming back and I am sure you won't regret joining and restarting from scratch :)

Regarding your question:
that highly depends on what you want to do. I for myself wouldn't want to miss out on the RWM.

On the other hand, you might want to check out the untwinked level 99 challenge which is so much fun to read (and probably to participate - but not my kind of gameplay) and probably a motivation to keep your next character untwinked.

If you enjoy a more powerful build from the start, I'd go for the transition of you saved stashes.

Be sure to check out the tournaments though - for me it is the absolute best way to play this game and you don't have to make hard decisions like the one you are facing, because you always start from scratch 😬

Have fun, enjoy your stay, drop by in the bar and may your drops be green and golden (and orange, too)!

Reactions: saracen85
Welcome to the Forum, and glad to see that you joined the untwinked 99er thread. Looking forward to following the progress!

Welcome, glad to have you!! And RIP to the first sorc. As far as advice, of course do what feels most rewarding for you. Some of the impressive players of the past who were vanilla really had some achievements that amaze me (darkchaos hc 99er trapsin and tesladin anyone? Or ofc perkele). But my 2c, the game is just much more fun with ladder runewords. I would miss them for sure, and would probably only play blizz sorc and hdin if I played vanilla 😅.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High