Sara's Rift-a-Sin PVM by Master Zap

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
Sara's Rift-a-Sin PVM
Originally posted by Master Zap, Feb 27, 2008

Introduction

Hi everyone, after making many Martial art and trapper sins, I've come to find a combo of items that allows one to have fantastic balance of melee kick some butt goodness without giving up much on damage in the trap tree. This can be played equally well on either side. The downfall normally for kicker sins is the lack of an aoe attack that actually takes enemies down. Insert Rift

Sins are the true swiss army knives of builds, able to run everywhere in the game with ample crowd control, multiple damage sources and even summons. As a comparable build, the Rift-a-din does less physical damage and attacks slower. He does not get summons nor the crowd control a sin is capable of.
My character requirement that Can take down the ubers and run every other spot in the game. If the char cannot solo Everything, then it's of no use to me.

The down side is this build is another one based on game items and if you do not have most of the ideal items you lose effectiveness.

The info collected here is nothing new, and I cannot claim credit for anything but the time I'm taking to compile it for you.

Here is another Rift sin oriented build, with enough difference between our approach to make it worthwhile for me to attempt another guide for it.
The Riftkicker
by Ava

What makes this Rift sin different is the focus I went for on this build in eeking out the max orb damage possible, while balancing durability. At the same time we want max trap damage and good kicker stats too. This is a Hardcore char afterall.

Enough jibba-jabba though , onto the meat

1a. Common Abbrv.
Allres - Resistance to all
AR - Attack Rating
ATDo X - Attacker Takes Damage of X (in integer)
BM - Bad Manner
BoS - Burst of Speed
CB - Crushing Blow
CBF - Cannot be Frozen
CR - Cold Resistance
CS - Critical Strike
CTB - Chance to Block
DEX - Dexterity
DF - Dragon Flight
DS - Deadly Strike
DST - Death Sentry Trap
DT - Dragon Talon
EIAS - Effective Increased Attack Speed
FBR - Faster Block Rate
FCR - Faster Cast Rate
FHR - Faster Hit Recovery
FPA - Frames Per Attack
FPS - Frames Per Second
FR - Fire Resistance
FRW - Faster Run/Walk
IAS - Increased Attack Speed
LL - Life leech (in percent)
LR - Lightning Resistance
LS - Lightning Sentry
MA - Martial Arts
MAX - Maximum Damage
MB - Mind Blast
MDR - Magic Damage Reduction (in integer)
MF - Magic Find
MIN - Minimum Damage
ML - Mana leech (in %)
Mods - Modifiers
NGR - Energy
OH - Off-hand (This claw that DOESN'T transfer effects to kicks)
OW - Open Wounds
PDR - Physical Damage Reduction (in percent)
PR - Poison Resistance
PvM - Player versus Monster
PvP - Player versus Player
RepL - Replenish Life
R/W - Faster Run/Walk
SM - Shadow Master
SD - Shadow Disciplines
STR - Strength
VIT - Vitality
WB - Weapon Block
WoF - Wake of Fire
WSM - Weapon Speed Modifier
WSM - Base speed

Faster Hit Recovery

This is the amount of frames it will take for your character to recover from an attack.

0% - 9 frames
7% - 8 frames
15% - 7 frames
27% - 6 frames
48% - 5 frames
86% - 4 frames

200% - 3 frames
4680% - 2 frames

I suggest heading for either 48% or 86% depending on your choice of equipment.

What works with kicks:

The following effects are carried by the kicking skills:
? Life Leech
? Mana Leech
? Elemental Damage
? Magical Damage
? Chance to cast X on striking/Attacking
? Crushing Blow
? Open Wounds
? Prevent Monster Heal
? Ignore Target Defense
? Hit Blinds Target
? Hit Causes Monster to Flee
? Hit Freezes target
? Hit Slows Target

What's not going to work with kicks:

Critical Strike , Deadly strike. Physical on wep damage including +min/Max damage

What is Rift

4 Socket Polearms/Scepters Runeword
Hel + Ko + Lem + Gul
20% Chance To Cast Level 16 Tornado On Striking
16% Chance To Cast Level 21 Frozen Orb On Attack

20% Bonus To Attack Rating
Adds 160-250 Magic Damage
Adds 60-180 Fire Damage
+5-10 To All Stats (varies)
+10 To Dexterity
38% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
75% Extra Gold From Monsters
Level 15 Iron Maiden (40 Charges)
Requirements -20%

There are only 2 sceptres that this can be made in War scepter (ideal) and Caddie's. War scept is both easier to find and cheaper to repair. These have a base wsm of -10. This means we need another 30 ias to hit the quickest kick followup, Shooting for 8/3/3/3/3/3 fpa. This gives us over 5 attacks a second. While the added elemental damages are nice cake mods, the real reason we're using rift is the chance to cast Frozen orb. With the right combo of items we can actually put out as much frozen orb damage as an orb sorcy. What advantage we have over the sorc counterpart is the fact we do not suffer a casting delay. It's very common to kick out 3/4 and even the rare 5 orbs in a single attack cycle. This gives us ultimate AOE in addition to all the usual kick damages the target will also face.

However you cut it , these are the finished char goals

48 or 86 FHR
75+ all res in hell. Overstack of 120% for Uber Meph
1200 min base life before bo or sages
50% min chance to block
8/3/3 kicks or better.
the ability to have at least 50% cb via stashed items for bosses and ubers.
lifetap via dracs or wand. Critical for uber running.

Skill Layout in simple Fashion:

Martial Arts Tree

20dtalon

Dragon Talon is chosen for it's ability to apply various mods like the chance to cast on our Rift. This attack is among the fastest in the game which means proc'ing mods is a cinch. Because it's also physical we have something to leach with.

Full 20 points advised for Maximum phy damage , and a Hefty Ar bonus. It helps if you can get enough points for a total of 6 kicks. This requires a skill level of 30

Dragon Tail = 1
Dragon Claw = 1
Tiger strike =1
Cobra strike =1 This skill is very useful early on for supplying Mana/life leach
Dragon Flight=1 point. A useful way to summon stack via enemy-assisted teleport. Useful for picking out boss type monsters and things like Shamans

Trap Tree

20 Death sentry
Useful for it's ce and added light damage
20 light sentry
our main trap huge damage and another form of damage.

20 Shockweb
Increase light sentry damage and is more useful then charged bolt sentry. As a sin we're allowed 5 traps out. For me I choose to use 4 lightsentries, and 1 death sentry. Picking shockweb gives us the option to at least use the synergy skill in conjunction with our regular in play traps.

Shadow disciples

1 in all skills except:

Shadow Master. Put enough points in this skill to hit level 17 master with final items equipped. I ended up with 2 hard points in this skill.

Bos is our primary aura in use in all but some specific situations where we may need the extra res from fade. Either one of these skills is good at level 1. They will be boosted to adequate levels. Some people may want to add another point in bos if it means hitting the next ias bp.

Once these core points are assigned any extra point should go to increasing your trap damage. The alternative is rest in venom.

Stating

Strength
As you can guess enough for gear. As a kicker we will have more str then most other chars. This is because we need to equip hurty boots. I advocate using double upped goblin toes, the highest str req item we *need* requires 172str

Dex
Enough for Max block with Sanctuary Shield. Shoot for 50% block on Head hunter glory

Vit
Everything else.

Equipped Stuff

First off, again this build is not cheap. I am also not going to list every wep possibility either. Just what I feel fits the theme and are a couple of the more popular options. As always Rare items have the potential to be the best. Good luck finding those.

Primary Wep: Rift War scepter. I know you guys never saw this one coming..

Primary Shield. Head Hunters Glory shield, 3 socketed with 5/5 level cold facets. We get 15% skill damage much needed for boosting Frozen orb and another -15 enemy res. This coupled with infinity merc means -100 all enemy res. This is the only unique shield in the game that has 3 sockets to make the most with. A 4 socketed faceted monarch would also work, but you'd give up other stats the Head hunter offers us. If you wanted to sacrifice a bit of damage the only other option that jumps out at me is a Mosher's shield with 2facets

Switch wep: Hoto : chosen to use for our trap laying and prebuffing every sin skill we have.
Shield: Spirit monarch.

Helmet: Only one will do, Nightwings for the added cold skill damage and +2 skills that helps both our trap and melee attacks. 15 ias jewel with ammy let us exceed the 30 ias we need for preferred ias.

Belt: Tgods is my preffered Hardcore belt of choice on any char. Nos coil String of ears get mention.

Gloves: Dracs. The ow and str help a ton. Oh yeah free lifetap woot

boots: Double Upped Goblin Toes (my pick), Upped Gore Riders or Shadow dancers

Jewelry
Rings: 1 Ravenfrost. We need cbf somewhere. Dex helps with block and we even get a little cold damage. Yaay :)

1dwarf star for more life, mdr and firesorb. Take the sting out of fire damage

Ammy: Rare or Mara for prebuffing venom, shadow master and bos. After that I'd look at an ias ammy like Highlords or Cateye if your bos cannot meet your 8/3/3 kicks.

Armor: My top pick is COH. +2 skills and much needed res. Everything else it offers is nice.

Alternatives: Many good choices here like Treachery, Lionheart, Smoke, Ga plate or even Gbane. Whatever you use ensure you're hitting the char goals.

Stashed wep's for boss killing and uber hunting : Shealed Fleshripper , Lastwish pb or Stormlash. The goal here is good speed with CB/OW
Stashed shield: Sanctuary Troll nest

Merc Act2.
Whichever your preferred guy is. I use a Might merc to increase my physical portion of my kick damage.

Holy freeze doesn't seem that handy since our sin has fantastic crowd control with COS and FO and a Shadow Master

Wep: Infinity is hands down by far the best option. Increases all of our elemental damages. As a bonus this wep puts out great physical damage and even has cb of its own. The only downside here is no leach and it's slow.

Armor: treachery. Has nearly everything the merc needs. More ias, res through Fade and pdr too!

Helm: Vamp Gaze. Basically this slot is needed for life leach. The dr% offered here is a real boon. Because it came from my zon, it has a 15% ias jewel in it.
Tal helm, Crown of thieves and Andy's helm are also fitting.

What about the Evil IM curse?
Play as a trapper. With our better then avg gear we have full powered LS/DS

Bust out our 1 point Blade fury
Throw Gimmersheds at stuff
Unequip boots and keep kicking. We still get the ctc's and elemental damage. Without a boot on we do so little physical damage we can kick with impunity

Play by Numbers:

For Level 82 Hardcore sin of mine
BeatenByA_Girl

Full physical damage Dragon talon + All the elemental added damage from gear/charms

Level 21 frozen orb , by itself pulling about 270-275 damage per shard.
+30% skill damage from Nightwing's and facets put us about 350+ shard damage
-100 enemy res puts our effective orb damage to non cold immunes at 700 damage. WOW indeed! This is more than my partial Tal orb sorc mf'er

still maxing shockweb for more damage but..
Light sentry damage 4700 per trap. 5 traps available. After conviction we're looking at around 7K+ light damage per trap. Holy cow it's only getting stronger.

Shock web: currently at about 1200

As Always, use charms to cover what you're missing. Fhr, Res, Life and after those are addressed Skill gc's would be next. I feel Trap Gc's would be the most useful for this build.

For Ubers I remove Rift and the Cold shield and use Fleshripper + sanctuary shield.

So thanks for reading. In conclusion I want to say this is one of the most effective do it all chars in the game. With all the fireworks going off it's also one of the flashiest. This is my 1st attempt at a guide here so feedback is welcomed.

~Sara

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High